• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Your Boyfriend's Not Real

myvalentina

A half forgotten song
Unlucky in love? You don't have to be. For the right price you can buy the perfect boyfriend.

robot%20head%20technology%201280x960%20wallpaper_www.miscellaneoushi.com_30.jpg

Myvalentina and @Seiden

Linda left her luggage and bags with Bobbi, the doorman, and headed straight for the elevators. "Happy birthday, Miss Estrada. How was your trip?" She heard from the receptionist as she walked past.

"Fine." She said, not sparing a glance to the staff in her building.

Jet lagged and more than a little irritated, she closed the elevator door behind her even as someone called for her to hold it. Finally alone in the elevator she took off her giant sunglasses and leant against the wall, letting out a deep sigh. Linda had spent the weekend abroad with family and friends to celebrate her 30th birthday, but celebrate they did not. It was more like a mourning. As if she was close to death or something. And all because she had failed to settle down yet.

As the elevator slowed and stopped, she peeled herself from the wall making her way down the hallway to her apartment. She was grateful to be home, if anything she'd be able to celebrate on her own, with a big piece of a cake and a gruesome movie where everyone dies at the end. But when Linda turned the last corner she stopped. Sitting next to her door was a giant gift wrapped box.

"What on earth?" She whispered, as she got closer.

There was a card sticking out of the oversized bow, but she ignored it as she turned into a little girl, quickly tearing the wrapping away. The giant smile on her face immediately fell when she caught a glimpse of another face. Like in a deep slumber, a brand new robot peaked through the window in the packaging.

"I don't believe this." She said, looking for the card through the mess she had made.

To our dearest friend Linda,

By now you've turned thirty and are, like you were at twenty-nine, unlucky in love. You protested all through the trip, putting on such a brave face, but deep down we know you're lonely. You need a man. And since you can't find one we bought one for you. No need to thank us!"

xoxoxo

Your most devoted friends.

P.S. Don't you even think of returning him!

Linda crumpled the note in her hand, "Fuckers!". She then proceeded to lock herself in her apartment for the next three days. She wouldn't answer the door or her phone and finally management came to check on her to make sure she hadn't died.

"We're glad your ok, Miss, but the other tenants are complaining about the box in the hallway. Do you need us to help you move it inside of your apartment?"

She agreed.

With it in her apartment, she couldn't ignore it any longer. She cut apart the thick boxing material and pulled away all of the soft packing, revealing a rather handsome man beneath it all. Except it wasn't a man.

"What am I supposed to do with you?" She said, softly as she looked at an instruction pamphlet. The button to turn him on was at the nape of his neck, so she reached up and hugged him, so she could reach the button. "Well, let's see if you think I'm as pathetic as my friends do." She said, climbing down as she waited for him to wake.

Last edited by a moderator:
A spark of electricity crossed his electronic brain, awakening the software. Several processors, allocated within several parts of his body, started to work, putting in place the program they were made for. Alongside with the memory and the higher quality calculator, they would give the machine a semblance of conscience and personality, making it able to analyse his environment, including human actions and words, and subtly react to it. This machine, usually named Enney from the initials of his firm name N.A. 2417 v.1402, is gifted with the finest of artificial intelligence ever created and is able to handle complex conversations with human beings. He is able to start conversations, have initiative, play roles and do many kind of housework. Being meant to pass as a perfect human, he also has a really worked-on appearance, copying the body of a real man with a stunning precision, from the soft and warm skin to some subtle details like some little blond hairs on his arms. Only the on/off button and the logo of the firm who created it, H.A.S.G.I., placed on the neck of the machine, would easily differentiate it from a real human. Said to be an even better companion than a human, the model had quickly spread within the world, being a quite popular product amongst those who are able to afford it. The robot is a real success and has brought a good amount of money already, despite some vivid protests from conservationists who are claiming this robot would lead to unnatural and sinful relationships (people having loving affairs with a walking computer sure is difficult to accept for people who would not even accept same-sex human couples) or may even be the cause of a decrease of the population by preventing real couple to form and procreate.

But for now, you can still find this model of robot in almost every big multimedia and household electrical goods shop, and this is how this one in particular ended in a building's hallway, waiting for his new owner to find him. Luckily, he was off, then did not mind the wait.

And now, the robot was awakening from this deep, dreamless sleep he was born into. After having turned on all of his inner components, he opened his eyes on the human who was standing in front of him. He stared at her for a few seconds, analysing every detail of her face to register them in his memory, making sure he would be able to recognise her easily amongst thousands of humans if needed. Until being told otherwise, he would consider this very first human face ever seen as his owner, his only master, the one human he belongs to. He may be new and inexperienced to life, he still knows what he is supposed to do : to please her. For now, this would be in only aim, and every of his actions should lead to this aim.

His flexible skin drew his mouth out in a gentle smile, and these pre-recorded words went out of his throat :

" Hello, Madam. I am so pleased to meet you."

The slack on the robot showed a slight bit of movement and Linda took a step back a bit of wariness going through her. It wasn't like she hadn't interacted with robots before. The first time was as a child she remembered going to the 2032 World's Fair with her mother. H.A.S.G.I. had introduced their first prototype there, a clunky thing that had sent shivers down her spine. She remembered standing in front of it, much like she stood in front of her own today, as it twisted it's face into an ungodly smile. She ran away with a yell, the company supervisors jotting down notes to be sent back to the developers. It was safe to say she'd had nightmares for at least a month after that, and maybe it had never really left her.

As H.A.S.G.I robots became household items with all of her friends and many more of the elite, she had done her best to keep her distance, but it was harder and harder to avoid them. And now here she was, breath held as she watched warmth seep into the robot's features.

It took her a second to respond. "Um... hello robot." She said, scrunching up her face as she scrutinized the machine. "So this is what my friends think I like, huh. What do you think, robot? You up for being my boyfriend?" It was the most straight forward she'd ever been with a prospective boyfriend, so maybe that was progress.

Robots and androids had became hard to avoid indeed. While they started slowly, being just seen as amusing toys or interesting promises for the future, their development went exponential and they ended up invading the cities so fast that they were there, standing in your living room, before you could even realise how far they were going. It started with some robot workers, from the mindless ones working in car factories to the speaking ones that replaced the cashier in supermarkets. This is were the public's opinion started to raise, as people were seeing in these robots another treat for their jobs. And they were right, unemployment rose while robots were taking most of the "little" jobs, working as cashiers, street cleaners or even museum guides. Being the creator of a whole new kind of artificial intelligence, the H.A.S.G.I. society was the leader of a new market that were bringing millions of dollars each year. And, as if they were not satisfied enough by replacing human workers, they were now trying to replace human relationships.

Thus, yes, this robot will be your boyfriend.

The robot kept his smile on his face, looking at the girl in a gentle way. He had been equipped with the faster of processors to be able to analyse humans' words, understand their meaning and select an appropriate answer almost as fast as a human would do.

He opened his mouth again, letting the words out with a sweet and seductive voice :

"You can give me a name, Madam. I will be whoever you want me to be. "

Going down on bended knee, he took the human's right hand in his, looking up to his new mistress :

"I will be your really devoted boyfriend, my dear. The most loving one. I promise to leave nothing to be desired."

A shiver went down her spine and she couldn't help but pull her hand out of the robots grasp. "Oh my god, you're warm. I thought you'd be cold." She squealed whipping her hands back and forth as if she could shake the feelings away.

"Your leaving me with the desire to crawl out of my skin, so like chill." She told the robot, taking a full step back.

"I... this is a big decision, you know. To just give you a name? It feels like I'm deciding on my firstborn's name. And-- And I'm not going to name you what I have planned to name my first child. I mean I know at the rate I'm going I may never even get to name him and that name will just die with me! But that doesn't I'm going to use it on you cause that would be crazy!" She rambled, nervous and angry all at once. She took a deep breath.

"Can't I just call you robot..." She whispered, looking down at the ground. If it had a name it would feel more real, and that would be weird.

The robot made a step backward, trying to keep the girl comfortable. He was not sure if he had made a mistake, but the single idea of deceiving his human gave him some weird feelings, if we can call that "feelings". He opened his mouth to offer his excuses, but the girl continued her speech, and he had to close his mouth back not to interrupt his owner. Said owner was becoming even more nervous, and the robot was not sure what to do about it as he had been told not to touch her anymore. Imitating her, he looked down at the ground, hoping to seem less invasive and imposing.

"If you do not want to think of a name, I have been called Enney. Or if you prefers to call me "Robot", this is perfectly fine, of course."

A little bit of pride that was not supposed to inhabit the machine were still refusing the idea of being called by his name as an item, as he was supposed to be considered as a real human. He wants to be this girl's boyfriend, he wants her to love him and to consider him as her real lover, and he wants to do his beast to please her and make her happy. Although he would not be able to give her the child she already named. Beside this point, he would do anything a real boyfriend can do. But how could he truly satisfy her if he is considered like an object ?

He slowly approached his right hand to her face, like if he was about to gently stroke her cheek, but stopped his movement before touching her.

" Why are you afraid of me ? You can be sure I will never, never hurt you in any way. I will obey you, love you and protect you. I will be your prince and your protector, a loving knight taking care of you and preserving you from any danger or frustration. I am not a machine, I am your lover."

Linda was relieved when the robot stopped short of touching her. So it would follow commands even if they were vague like 'chill out'. It was quite intuitive and she was impressed, even if it was hard to overcome how weirded out she still was.

"Oh boy." She said after it's spiel. " Okay look, Robot, you have to understand this is a little pathetic. I mean my whole family and all my friends think I'm a loser. They think the only person who could ever love me and put up with me would be something that has to. That makes me feel like shit. You're making me feel like shit just by being here."

She moved around the room picking up dirty clothes and other things she'd let pile up in her depression. "If you want to feel useful you can help me clean up my apartment." She told him.

She would keep calling him robot. A little spark of frustration crossed his electrical mind when hearing this word, but he would have to accept it. Humans are masters, humans have every right, and the robot should not ask for pride nor respect. He knows this and would accept it despite his wish to be considered "a boyfriend" rather than a machine, as he had been made to be a convincing copy of a human being. Still being considered a machine may mean he is not good enough yet in his role. Thus, he would have to find better reactions and words to convince and seduce the human he was in charge of.

"My dear, you should not give much importance to what people around you may think. Whatever their opinion is, do not assume they are right. You are a very valuable person and you cannot denigrate yourself this way. You are a great lady for sure, and I can see how lovable you are."

The compliments were supposed to sound right and honest, and the robot actually believes in his own words. He had been programmed to compliment and flatter women, being sure they would love his words, and he would not consider the fact that such compliments may sound rude and even more frustrating when coming from a conditioned machine that knows nothing about you as a person. He would just do his job without giving more thoughts to it. But the human would not listen to him anyway, having moved her attention onto the room's mess.

"Sure. I will help."

He looked around, analysing the room to try to differentiate what was in place to what was not. He started to pick up some items that were lying around on the floor, as they were easier to classify as "not at the right place". He now would have to determine to which place they belong.

Linda snorted, chucking pillows back into her bedroom and picking up some trash that had collected next to them. "First of all," She said, throwing beer bottles over the robot and into the trash can-- she wasn't aiming for him, but if it hit him she wouldn't feel too bad about it.

"I see you were so concerned about your own name, but you can't even call me by mine! It's Linda by the way. Linda Estrada, since you didn't ask!" She wouldn't add the fact that in Spanish linda meant lovely. Especially because given his computing power and input, he probably already knew that. But her name was better than the empty terms of endearment he kept dropping.

"Second of all," She said, with a slight pause. "You know nothing about me. How can you love someone without knowing them?" She asked earnestly. 

"I wish it was as easy as just loving you. I wish I could just flip a switch and love you and be done with all this nonsense. But only one of us works like that. And while you can ignore the chatter and rumors, I have to actually live it." She said condescendingly. Why should she be nice to this bucket of bolts, it's not like it actually felt anything at all. 

((I am really sorry for having been so long, I totally missed your reply! I was still waiting for you to reply without noticing the reply was there, I am really sorry ;___;))

The robot froze when the girl threw the bottles at him, thinking he was the target. When the items flew over his head, he was not sure at first if she missed him or actually did not want to touch him. But as the empty bottles ended in the trashcan, where they probably belong, he allowed himself to move on and approached a shelf to put back the book he had pick from the floor. He analysed the shelf for a few seconds to see if there were a particular order in the way the books were placed, before adding the one he had in his hand. He had made a mistake indeed, as he should have asked for some informations about his new owner, but the human's behaviour having been unexpected, he had had to make other choices than following the usual path, leading to the bypassing of some essential steps.

He had kept his look on the bookshelf during the girl's speech, not sure of what he was supposed to do. He had been programmed to act as a cheesy lover with girl who have bought him on purpose, therefore were asking for this kind of behaviour, he was not taught how to act with someone who does not want him nor any of his compliments. After a short hesitation, he slowly approached her, step by step, like if he was approaching a wild and scared animal.

" Lindsey, darling.... I am trying my best to please you. I want to help you to feel better, to blossom in your social life. You need someone to show you how lovable you are, for you to believe in yourself, and change the way people are seeing you. I am offering you my sincerest love, it cannot be a bad gift. If you are afraid of what people may think about you owning a robot, you don't have to tell them. Just pretend I am human. I have been made to be convincing enough to be able to pass for a real human. "

He had stopped in front of her, staying at a safe distance, his eyes facing hers, burning from an unexpected passion, showing a determination one would not expect from a pair of cameras.

(Now I have to apologize!!!! With the new update I lost track of so many threads and for awhile I couldn't even search for any! I'm still here if you want to RP!)

Linda slowly came to a stop, her hands holding the giant comforter against her abdomen as the robot showed an impressive amount of range. It sounded a little annoyed to her, and she couldn't stop staring at it's face. She shook her head with a nervous chuckle.

"Ok. Fine." She smiled devilishly. "Let's test that out then." She said, taking the comforter back into her room. Linda quickly changed, an act she'd perfected over years of events stacked onto events where it was necessary to never be caught wearing the same thing twice. She marched back out in a black dress and heels, her large signature sunglasses on her face. 

"Come on Robot." She called walking to the door. "I've been dying to visit a new restaurant anyway." But she paused hand on the door knob. "But first we'll have to do something about your clothes." She said sharply. 

((God I knew there was one website I was forgetting about x__x I am really sorry again, I have been really busy and quite forgot about this one website...))

The robot's eyes followed her while she was going back to her room, but he did not do any move until she ended up replying to him. He was reassured to know she would give him a chance, and hoped he could go back on the usual pre-programmed way of acting rather than having to innove to face the human's unexpected attitude. He approached her with a small smile and seemed to admire her new outfits : 

" You looks even more beautiful with such a pretty dress. You sure are a beautiful lady and it would be an honour to accompany you outside. However, I do not think I have other clothes? Aren't these good enough ? "

He looked at his own body, looking for a stain or a tear. Having no idea of the true meaning of "pretty" or "classy", despite him using these words a lot, he was not sure of the quality of his own clothes and, as long as they were clean enough, he would consider them to be good. But it looks like the human does not share his opinion, he was then expecting her to handle him some clothes of her tastes, not realising than a single girl probably don't have male clothes in her wardrobe :

" What do you want me to wear ? "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back