• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom WWZ - IC

h0sju83.jpg

Jackson’s birthday had been a success, much to Ginny’s delight. She only ever wanted the best for her kids; for her family and she was so thankful her children were so good humored. She had witnessed the Fitzpatrick kids, spoiled as they were, over the last few weeks have melt downs over things that simply couldn’t be done. Screaming fits because they wanted to watch a movie but were not allowed to run the generator for power, or throwing a tantrum because they wanted something they had limited or no supply of. As much as she was thankful they weren’t her kids, something she felt horrible admitting, it was still annoying to witness and listen to in the house. It was becoming a near daily experience and with the episode at the skate park she had decided she was going to step in the next time and put an end to it.

They left the skate park well before dark, the reserves had warned that noise carries further in the night and it would be hard to protect them out in the open, but no one had any issue agreeing to leave. The drive home was uneventful, however as they pulled up the long gravel driveway to the house it wasn’t hard to see something was very wrong. The Reserves that were typically stationed along the perimeter of the fence that surrounded the home were replaced with farm hands and Mr. Fitzpatrick holding the Reserves weaponry. From there things only went from bad to worse, as they came closer to the house she could see the lights were on and music blaring. She parked the truck and jumped out, striding up to the house carelessly, she was angry. They had spent the better part of the last month reserving the fuel, rationing the food and keeping everything as quiet as possible. She passed through the front of the house towards the utility closet then within, flipping the switches to turn off the generator and put the house back in dark quiet.

The reserves shouted in complaint, a growling mass of discontent as it approached where she now stood in the doorway to the utility closet. In the low light she could make out Charlie headed for her, but she planted her fists on her hips and glared. “What the hell, Charlie? What is wrong with you?” She demanded, the men behind Charlie replied over top of each other, she could smell the reek of alcohol on them and it fueled her anger further.

“We decided, Ginny, that, since we’re the ones keeping your asses safe out here that we should have a little bit of comfort.” Charlie explained, words slurred, the men around him nodding and agreeing with him. “You have a problem with that?”

As much as Ginny wanted to argue with him, fight it out, she didn’t know most of the other Reserves here in her house, they had been sent to McCone from nearby counties, other towns. She looked over them slowly before turning back to Charlie. “Whatever.” At the very least she wasn’t going to give them an affirmative answer. She turned and started forcing her way through the men towards the door where the kids, Katie and Marta were waiting.

“Oh, and by the way,” Charlie called from behind but she didn’t turn to look at him as she fought her way through the brutes. “My back has been kinda sore, you know, sleeping on those cots, so I’m taking the Master bedroom.” She felt a chill roll down her spine, instantly angry she bit her lip to keep from answering, to stop herself from confronting him. “But you’re more than welcome to join me, if you want.”

***​

qtRMzBy.jpg
Ginny, Katie and Marta ushered the frightened children back upstairs, with the remaining adults out of the house, forced to keep watch on the borders, it was left to the three of them to take care of the kids. Once they had them settled back inside the bedroom, Katie and Ginny made their way down the back set of stairs to the kitchen with the hopes of finding something to feed them. What they found, however, was far from pleasant.

The Reserves had turned the generator back on, music once more pounding within the house and every light on the main floor on. Within the kitchen was a disaster; the men had gone through every bit of non-perishable food that had been stored and opened and eaten or discarded it. There hadn’t been much to begin with, the families had been surviving more on preserved or home-canned fruits and vegetables and fresh vegetables from the garden, but even those stores were dwindling. The adults had come to agree that while they would survive with their own portions rationed they wouldn’t do the same to the kids.

Ginny searched with Katie through what remained but it was clear they would have to resort to foraging for more soon. She knew the generator would run out of fuel eventually, and the slip tank’s valve had a passcode that she only knew so at the very least she could fuel her truck for runs. Between Kate and herself they managed to get together enough food to get the kids through the night, neither of them wanted to go digging in the dark for vegetables, and both wanted to get back upstairs. Marta had gone into the master bedroom while the two were downstairs and collected their things, and clothing.

wOKrclW.jpg

The remainder of the night had been rough; the Reserves had played music until the late hours and once it was done and Ginny had finally started to settle and fall asleep the noise from the door knob attempting to be turned had woken her. She sat in silence holding her breath as she listened to the antique knob move a millimeter back and forth as it bumped the lock. After what felt like an eternity she heard the footfalls of whomever had been on the other side of the door pad down the hall way. Slowly she crept across the room and collected the chair that sat in front of Liza-May’s desk, bringing the wooden high backed chair to the door; she wedged it under the knob. She spent the rest of the night sitting with her back against the wall next to the door.

The following morning she left Katie to watch the kids while she set the cattle free to the fields to roam and eat for the day. At the very least the dead attacked less during day light hours but with all the farmhands and other farmer having to keep watch over night, there was no one to trail them but herself; and they all still needed to eat. Satisfied she had done everything she could to keep the cattle fed she turned back towards the front yard of her home and headed for her truck. She started to turn around in the wide gravel driveway when Charlie came sprinting from the house, first getting in front of her to stop her forward motion, then coming to the driver side door and attempting to open it. Thankfully Ginny had locked the doors after getting inside.

She lowered the window only a couple of millimeters, “What?” She demanded, attempting to sound fierce when really she was terrified. She could already see he was angry and hung over, possibly even still drunk. She could only hope they had burned through all the alcohol so they wouldn’t have to have a repeat of the night before.

Charlie glowered at her, “Where are you going?”

“To find food, we’re hungry.”

It was clear by his darkening expression he didn’t like her answer. “Well unlock the door and I’ll come with you. It’s not safe out there.” Once more he was tugging at the handle to the door.

“Safer out there alone, then out there with you.” She left them standing in the drive way as she headed down the road towards town.

Houston
"We'll, let's get back to your apartment before we swamped with trouble." he said in a haste. He had an idea, but he would tell him once they were in a safe location. He gathered his things from backseat of his car, he picked up his suitcases and ran to the trunk of his car. He opened it and took out the crowbar and put it between the handle of the suitcase. Houston walked around to the other of his car and looked at Jackson, "Lead the way.".

"Tuh, you're telling me bud. Got everything you'll need? Good..." Then with that, Jackson nodded his head slightly in the direction they would be heading and pulled their mask back up to cover their face. Looking to make sure Houston had what they needed, the young man then began to make his way down the street from where they came. Though only about an hour or so, the streetlights that lit up the streets in their dusk environment, suddenly flickered and flashed out. Power was now gone...Jackson looked around with a slightly concerned look on their face from underneath the mask. They had never truly realized how dark the streets would be when not lit up with those posts. "Well fuck," the young man muttered, "ok it's getting really dark now. Change of plans, we're probably gonna have to stay the night at my place and leave early morning. You a morning guy Houston?" Jackson had asked without even looking back, their focus directed on watching the area and keeping their route towards the hardware store strong.

Houston
"If I wasn't a morning person before, I am now." he said in a lighthearted manner. He thought this would be a good time to bring up the better idea, "I think we should just take your car, I'll put my stuff in there tonight, so I don't have to slow us down in the morning with it.". Houston continued to follow Jackson, as he was not too familiar with this area of Albany. He noticed that the street lights had stopped working, and that the shops around them had no power too. The grid must have spent it's last life. He wondered how things were fairing in Pittsburgh, if they had no power as well. If his ex-girlfriend was alright, and the more he thought about it, the more he became angry with himself. What kind of asshole leaves someone to die, when they could have waited. It came to a point where he would competently blank out, and not even thing about the task at hand. He though about how thick she was in the chaos, trying to control the infected and the scared and panicked populous. He didn't know what to do, he was travailing with Jackson now, and couldn't just ask him to divert to Pittsburgh, he barely knew him. He though about ditching Jackson, but now he traded him for his ex-girlfriend, which he doesn't even know if she's still alive, he knows Jackson is alive and in front of him.

Last edited:
The young man silently stalked at least a few feet ahead with extremely light feet. Even from just a few feet back, he felt for sure the man behind him could hardly if at all hear their footsteps. As the two passed through the city, he peeked corners and listened in for any noises. "Jesus, this place is just too quiet now. I don't like it....Poof suddenly everyone is gone and I'm here with some guy I hardly know and looks like they're a tax man, probably is to be honest with myself. And how old is he, early 30's or something, he's GOTTA be." Jackson thought to themselves as they passed through the shell of Albany. After about another eerily silent half hour passes, he spots the hardware store and turns to Houston faintly to say, "Hey, there's the hardware store." Now all those two had to do was beat the already falling sun, the city was dark enough as is with all the concrete high rises and other such buildings blocking the light.

Houston
Houston looked ahead at the hardware store, "Okay, so, we're getting a siphon and a couple of gas cans, right?" he waited for a response. He knew for sure that's what they needed, but Houston wanted to make sure that Jackson knew as well. Also, he wanted to see if Jackson needed anything else. There were always things that they could pick up in the hardware store, like tools and such, but, Houston could carry only so much, since he's carrying the two suitcases.

Jackson looked at Houston and gave them a "Duh" look with their eyes and nodded slightly. "And if we need anything else, we'll pick it up if it's there. This backpack is empty man."

Houston
And with that, Houston made his way to the hardware store that was before him. He looked in every direction when he crossed the road to get there. There seemed to be no one about, even the infected, which made things easier, even mentally. He made sure to keep Jackson in at least hearing distance, without him having to yell or run to him. In fear that this would attract people or things trying to hurt them. The hardware store seemed to be in fine shape, one window was cracked, but other than that, it seemed fine. With the sun going down further and further, this created a sense of urgency in his mind. Night would make things excessively more difficult. When he got to the entrance of the store, he stood there waiting for Jackson. He didn't want to just charge in there, there could have been a store owner with a shotgun or something that could be considered not as human.

The young man approached the store calmly and knocked twice on the doors, cracking them ajar slightly only to quickly whistle inside. After doing so, he turned to Houston and said, "To make sure nothing or no one's in there." When as if on queue, one of the infected, with nasty bite wounds over their body and glossy eyes shambled out from behind a shelf. "See," he said "it works." Then proceeded to pry the now non functioning automatic doors open and pulled their blade from its sheath only to slowly approach the zed.

Houston
"Got it buddy?" and with that, he made a slight run past the infected. This in turn made it turn towards Houston, and away from Jackson. This was intentional, and hoped that Jackson would come in for the kill. He had noticed Jackson was more skilled in this line of work. He noticed how easily Jackson could do it without remorse. Houston struggled to defend himself from a simple mugger, who was without a doubt trying to hurt him, or at least take his belongings. It wasn't that he couldn't physically do it, it was that his brain was not adapted to violence. He never had to fight anyone in high school or college. He remembers how guilty he felt after he shot that mugger, and thinks that maybe he should have just ran.
He looked down the aisles, trying to find the one that said gas can. He came past the tires, the tools, the power tool, and finally past yard care, there were the gas cans. He looked and saw they they had gas cans ranging from half a gallon to all the way to twenty gallons. He thought that two five gallon cans would be perfect. Not to heavy, and would probably fill three quarters of a tank on any SUV, and fully fill any small car.

Jackson smiled lightly underneath their mask and grabbed the zed by it's forehead then with one smooth motion the you man yanked it's head back and simultaneously drove their knife in right at the base of the skull. With the undead giving off all but a garbled groan as it perished in Jackson's hand, the body soon went limp and Jackson let it fall with an audible thump before cleaning his blade off on the clean section of the corpses shirt. Soon afterwards they began to stalk the isles, keeping an eye out for any such items that would prove useful. So as they passed, the varying items that got placed into his bag were batteries, a multi tool, a locksmithing kit, "Huh, locksmithing....might be useful to learn how to pick locks I guess. I mean, I know how the inner systems work with all the pistons and crap..." was the reasoned thought that crossed through Jackson's mind as they picked it up. Other such items included the well needed siphon, a knife sharpener, and a crank powered flashlight for Houston considering Jackson already has one and the other man will surely need one later.

Houston
He picked up the two, five gallon gas cans and went off to find Jackson. He hands were now completely occupied, with two gas cans being held by the tips of his fingers and his suitcases having the same fate. He also was trying to balance the crowbar on the suitcase as well. That when he had an idea, he could tie a rope around the handles of the cans, and carry them on his back, this would be ten times easier that just carrying them in his hands. He knew he had a rope in one of his suitcases. He laid everything down on the floor and felt around the suitcase for the rope. He didn't want to have to open them both and risk letting everything fall out. He found the rope and unzipped the suitcase, it was a red and black nylon think rope, and it was perfect for what he wanted to use if for. With that, he tied the rope around the handles of the gas can and swung it on his back. He walked aisle after aisle, looking for Jackson. He would whisper, "Hey, I got the gas cans, where are you?"

Jackson replied with all but the same whistle he did when first entering into the building. Walking out to meet Houston, he shambled along and groaned lightly acting like a mock version of one of the infected.

Houston
Houston had smiled, this was the first genuine one since the start of the epidemic. He had always wanted a brother or sister that he could relate to, and to laugh with. His brother and Houston never got along, never was able to share any special moments. They were even close in age, only one year apart. Houston was the oldest though. It was weird, he barely knew the guy, and he was already making him think about his life.
"If I had known you couldn't handle one of those things up close, I would have down it myself" he hoped Jackson would take it as a joke, as he said it in a small chuckle. "Anyway, where to next, your place or to get gas?".

Stopping the joke act of the infected, Jackson shot a quick glance towards the exit of the building and sighed lightly. "We'll have to do it on route to my place because it'd getting darker than my exes heart right now, and fast." They had said to Houston before turning to head outside.

Houston
He followed Jackson out the door, and was greeted by the same sight he saw before, just darker. He got ahead of Jackson, and turned to face him, "Lead on, and I think it would be a better option if we waited till the morning to get gas, unless you feel it's better to get it now." Houston hated the idea of getting supplies at night, they were going to have to go car to car, and this could take hours. Though, to be honest, he had no idea how long siphoning gas could take. He thought that if the power stayed on, they could check the gas stations, but with the power being out, that was a no go. Maybe Jackson was onto something, if they waited till morning, maybe the streets would be infested with the infected. Making it impossible to stop for any gas at all. He spoke up again once more, "How critical are your fuel levels? Could we drive out of town first, into a less populated area. Or are we going to need fuel to even get out of here?"

Jackson looked towards Houston and shrugged lightly. "I should have about 3 quarters of a tank left, and I have a dodge dart so fuel economy is good enough. Let's fill one can en route and then in the morning we'll get the hell out of this town." After saying that, the young man nodded their head in the direction he was to head. Minutes passed as the two men trekked across the town, then when Jackson came across a large SUV he smiled lightly. "Houston," he muttered, "get the siphon out." Then walked over and began to unscrew the gas cap. After doing so and waiting for Houston, the young man scanned the general area to see if any movement lurked in the shadows. "Hurry up bud, darkness approaches." Jackson chuckled lightly to themselves, "Well hello Bane." They thought afterwards and then proceeded to see if the vehicle was unlocked; Jackson wasn't too surprised to find that it was locked. But that also meant that whoever's vehicle it was, was either inside or roaming the area more than likely dead.

Houston
Houston handed the siphon over to Jackson, once he did, he noticed that Jackson was giving the car a once-over. The SUV was large, almost like the ones you see upper-middle class families drive. He couldn't think of anything they would need from in there. His only concern was, that they got enough fuel to fill up at least one of the gas cans. After he hand handed Jackson the siphon, he gave him the red, five gallon gas can. In a hushed voice, "You know what, if it's all clear by the time we fill up the first gas can, we can just fill up the second. I thought that we might have had more resistance once it got dark, guess I was wrong." then there was a pause, "Hey, see anything good in the thing?" he said as his made a motion to the SUV. It was a brief moment where he forgot what the vehicle was called.

Jackson took the siphon and gas can from Houston and immediately took to work on siphoning the SUV's gas. "I dunno man, it's getting to dark to see anything in there. Just keep an eye and ear for anything while I do this." Then suddenly as if on queue, a zed emerged from an alley way, with a few more following. "Fucking hell," Jackson muttered "I think just us talking lures these bastards in..."

Houston
Houston was now in a state of distress. He knew that if these things came on them fast, they would be swamped and wouldn't be able to get themselves out. Houston looked at Jackson with wide, panicked eyes, "Okay, fuck the gas and let's get out of here.", there was not much he could do. He didn't know where Jackson lived, and Jackson had took him to an area that he had no knowledge of.

"Well hold on just a second man, don't get so worried. I got the gas pumping and those fuckers are slow as hell" It seemed as if Jackson took the role of being the calm and collected one who waited patiently to observe the threat. Besides, the gas from the siphon was flowing quite well and at a reasonable pace. After the first zed walked out there was already a gallon inside the canister. Though he did stand up and draw their pistol as a just in case, though a bad idea it would be to fire it, he's not going to waste arrows on zeds in the dark. As the zeds wandered about but not seeming to be locked on he and Houston's position, he simply looked at the man and a put a finger up to their lips in a shhhh motion. Though there were about 10 roaming and searching, Jackson remained as calm as he could, hoping that the vibes would shift over to Houston as well.

Houston
Houston had a hard time believing his ears, was Jackson really just going to have them stay there. He looked all around, "Do you not see what's going on? Yeah they're slow, but once they're on you, they're on you. Let's just quietly get out of here now while we can. Take what we have and we can gather some later, like you said, you have three quarters of a tank left in you Dodge. We can easily make it to small town in Pennsylvanian for a refuel stop." They were getting closer and closer, and there numbers went from one to ten. It was hard to tell if they knew if Jackson and Houston were there, as it was hard to see which directions were facing. At this point, Houston had his revolver in his hand. He looked at Jackson, with almost a inaudible whisper, "get down, let's crouch out of here.", he ducked and moved towards the gas can.

Jackson kept a calm composure as Houston told them to crouch down. Doing, he leaned against the wheel of the SUV and listed as the fuel flowed through the siphon and into the can and at the rate it was flowing, only a few minutes needed to pass before the can was full. So Jackson turned towards Houston and said that they would only need to be here for a few more moments until the can was full. Then began the wait...the two could hear the undead shuffling around them and the few minutes that had to pass were agonizing. Then suddenly the siphon clicked and the can was full, the remaining fuel inside the siphon draining back into the tank of the SUV.

Last edited:
Houston
He looked at the gas can and took out the rope. He tied the rope around the two gas cans and swing them onto his back. He could feel the little droplets of has sink through his blazer and shirt. He was used to the smell of gas because, he worked at a gas station most of his teen life. The infected were still meandering around, but like a group of gnats, moved slowly in Jackson and Houston's direction. He put his revolver in the front of his belt and picked up his suitcases and crowbar, except, the crowbar was in the same hand as the rope now. He looked past the cars and at the infected, "Ready?", he sounded more panicked than anything, but internally, he was mad as hell. He thought the risk was too unnecessary and thought he put their lives on the line.

"Ready when you are." Jackson said and then began to sneak away from the area, making sure Houston was in close tow as they snuck off towards an alley way to cross into the street over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back