• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom WWZ - IC

Beginning of Week two

As the end of the first week finally came to present, the new Monday sparked whole new spill of developments for Jackson’s life. The week prior was more than likely one of the best timed portion of his existence by far. They had slowly but surely over the past week stocked up on several essential things, at the sporting goods store he bought himself a new face mask consider winter was coming up, a 50 round ammo box for his M1911 since his old box had all but 12 rounds left after reloading the three he used last week, and seeing as how things were getting really bad, he also got few other items. A set of both knee and elbow pads along with padded fingerless glove, Jack never really knew why he got them, but he did, something in their gut said so, and it would more than likely prove useful in the coming days.

Nearing the end of Week Three

But at that the day begun, Jackson had made his trips around the city and gotten what he’d needed to get. But what was unbeknownst to him, as they were out getting the items they needed, things went from good to bad all because of one government announcement. It had become apparent as Jackson was driving back to campus with the radio on, it had been announced that cities across the country were being put under Marshall law. “Well shit….that’s not good whatsoever.” Jackson thought to themselves as they turned onto an intersection that led back to campus. But what around that corner, was far from a pretty sight, military and police had a group of individuals surrounded with riot shields. Though....the people looked off, just like the ones he had an encounter with last week. Some of them were bloody and looked to have bite or slash wounds but all had the same pale skin and glossy look in their eyes. It had to at least be a group of 12, and before Jackson could really react to turn his car around, a soldier stopped him. Jackson sighed in relief though as the person was revealed to be Cpl. Margrave, “
Oh thank god.” The young man said to himself audibly as Margrave walked over towards their vehicle. “Mr. Rider, good to see you again,” Margrave announced as he walked up to the vehicle, “I assume you heard the Marshall law announcement?” They had asked curiously. So looking up towards the Cpl, Jackson blinked and nodded their head in acknowledgment. “Yeah, yeah I did. Things getting a bit rough eh?” He had asked in a calm but faintly past paced tone, in turn the Cpl nodded and answered with a small yes. After only a few minutes of chatter and Jackson’s curious inquiry towards the people surrounded by the riot wall, he and Margrave dismissed themselves from one another and went off on their own way. But before Jackson left, Margrave leaned down close on the door window and told them they need to play things very safe, that the infection was spreading out in the city at an alarming rate. “Now don’t tell anyone I told you this, I just felt you should know considering what happened to you last week…” Finishing it off with the final bad news that the new vaccine, Phalanx, would not be coming to Albany.

The news left Jackson stunned and shocked, “
I...w-wha?” the young man asked in a partially stuttered tone. Margrave also notified Jackson that evacuations towards Washington D.C would be starting in two days. That left Jackson 48 hours to prepare himself for the move, just two days. But all in all, to Jackson that would not really be much considering he had stocked reasonably well should things hit the fan so they say. So after saying his goodbye’s to Margrave, the young man began their way back to his dorm room on campus. Margrave was right, things in the city were not looking well in the slightest. Emergency vehicles were still running throughout the city, police and now military were also speeding around to deal with any emergency calls that had come in. Jackson sighed lightly at all this, his city was collapsing at a steadily increasing rate. Suffice to say, as the young man rounded the corner his eyes were set upon a sight that only solidified the fact the city was in its downfall. People were running scared in the streets, others were looting varying places and all while the military and police tried to stop them best they could. “Jesus, it’s fucking chaos out here.” Jackson let himself think as he backed out of the street and began to turn around. But as he did this, his movement was stopped by two men in dark hoodies and masks wielding baseball bats and yelling for him to get out of the car. Now how Jackson had been able to keep his calm and their optimism, for the most part, was unbeknownst to him. But this, seeing this, made Jackson lose it. He wasn’t scared or worried, but angered. How could people let panic overtake them this bad to drive them to the point of robbery, murder and theft. The young man growled and drew his pistol from its holster and aimed it the crook near the driver side door while stating, “You had better get the fuck away from me before you get a goddamn .45 shell to your skull, and your friend there will end up the same!” At that, the crooks staggered back a small bit and ran off, only for one of them to be tackled by someone that soon afterwards bit into their chest. Seeing that, the crooks friend simply ran off in fear. Jackson, now not so cheery and cheeky as he used to be, turned his car around drove home. Seeing all this chaos was getting to him a bit, he could see how people let fear and panic take them. He was neither, he was just angered at why this was all happening, at how it had ruined the lives of so many. Their trip back to his dorm room was cautious and slow going, they even openly carried their side arm in hand in attempt to deter anyone who might try to get the better of them. Opening the door to their dorm room revealed things to be just the same as they had left them, a good sight considering things were getting bad. Sighing lightly, the young man dropped to the couch and pulled out their phone, intent on calling several people he held concern for.

First up was his brother Jonathan, the phone rang on until the voicemail hit. This worried Jackson and they sighed lightly before leaving their first message, “
Hey bud, it’s Frost...T-things arent going so well here in Albany, it’s going to shit and the military said they’re evacuating us to D.C in two days. Worse off, the vaccine didn’t come here and it looks as if due to the that the infection suddenly started dropping people like flies. It’s bad man….and I’m worried bro, I’m scared, I don’t know what to think any more. So please, if you get this, call me back. I want to know you and our parents are ok.” Jackson had never been one to truthfully talk of their feelings, but with circumstances getting as bad as they were he felt that he needed to get it all out. They normally always were the one who was cheery and optimistic, always had the balls to face things head on, and kept everyone else happy. He tried his best to do that now, but things just kept getting worse and worse, Jackson hardly had anything to be positive of. Marshall law, murder and robberies, spreading infection, how could he remain positive now? They had let it take it’s toll on him, Jackson steeled himself and held strong that from now on, not many people should be trusted, always keep himself on guard, and to not make himself noticeable. After seeing what the city was like today, he knows those vows will only help him for the time being. Second, was Amy. Jackson knew he had to call her down in Richmond. Their fingers swiped and tapped along the contact menu until he came up towards Amy’s number and hit dial. Seconds passed as the line rang, only for this one as well to hit voicemail. Jackson cursed to himself lightly and then began to leave his voicemail, somewhat akin to the message he had left their brother, “Hey Amy, Frost here…I’m calling to ask if everything is ok down on your side of the country. T-things aren’t going so well. I’ll be honest with you Amy, I’m scared, it’s chaotic up here. The military is setting up evacuations in two days but the city is going to hell. I’ve seen people robbing others, murders, thefts, the infection is spreading and people are dropping like flies, it’s not good at all. The military and police are trying their best to simmer things down but... well it’s not fucking working. I’m not even going to risk my ass going out tomorrow, it’s too dangerous here. Please Amy, stay safe, and tell the kids uncle Frosty says hi yeah? I’ll try to keep in touch…” Yet another soft sigh came through Jackson’s mouth coupled with a singular distressed tear. “Goddammit…….” The young man muttered softly as he swiped through his phone to the final contact he had intentions of calling. That last call was intended to be his parents, but as their finger hovered over the call button Jackson’s hand grew shaky. Something in their heart suddenly couldn’t let them do it, he couldn’t drive himself to make the final call after what happened with the last two. Jackson dropped the phone with a sigh and planted their face into his hands after propping both elbows on their knees. Not long after, sobbing could be heard as Jackson finally let his emotions out. They knew the world was crumbling and that he would likely lose most of what he loved. As tears welled up like a geyser ready to gush, Jackson’s face was soon adorned with rolling tears that dripped through his hands and descended down towards their pants. This went on for nearly 10 minutes until, with a soft sniffle, the young man sat up and leaned against the back of the couch revealing their face to be red and wet with tears. “Why….just why? W-what has the world come to?.....” They said to themselves in between sniffles as they looked around their dorm room with teary eyes before wiping their face off with their jacket sleeve.

At that moment, Jackson realized he had let himself break down and sighed lightly. Though they did tell themselves that sometimes tears are good, you can’t always conceal the truth with false emotions. Their day was over, he felt the need to just lay down and sleep, to calm down a small bit and recollect themselves. So with that being said, Jackson laid themselves down on the couch and shut their eyes, listening to the sirens dashing through the city and the faint screams that rang throughout the alleyways of the concrete jungle. Soon afterwards, having fallen into the comforting darkness of slumber, Jackson lay there as a still statue. As the hours passed and dusk crept on, Jackson was awoken by what had sounded like firecrackers. But only after gazing out their windows and seeing the muzzle flashes nearby and seeing tracers ringing into the sky, likely from soldiers dying on the ground in agony, the young man’s eye widened and their heart began to beat 10 times as fast. Quickly running to their door and slamming a dresser across it, Jackson looked back out the window and continued to see the shots ringing out, with screams echoing through the city. People out there were running and scattered, military vehicles, red cross and police were speeding around, while helicopters both medical, police, and even military were flying across the cities skyline. “The hell is going on out there now?” Jackson let themselves think as they watched all of this below. As minutes of time was taken to process this the young man slid themselves down the wall and laid their head back. “
It just goes from bad to worse doesn’t it?” Were the only words the escaped Jackson’s mouth as they stood up slowly, a few more stressful and fear induced tears rolling down their cheek. With a sigh, the young man went into their room and began to pack their bag. Everything ranging from food, ammo, a few spare medical supplies and other useful items such as batteries and varying items. Anything he might need to help their survival, because they now knew he would be fighting for it. After that, with the approaching winter, Jackson laid out some warmer clothes and even his new pads. (The ones you see in his current gear set from the character page) With a faint and cracked smile, Jackson looked at the knife he had just taken hold of from his closet, it was a gift from their father and he was glad to have it. The young man laid it down on the bed next to his clothes and then did the same with their M1911 holster, laying it opposite to the side he had laid their knife on. Looking at all their clothing and supplies organized, Jackson cracked yet another small smile and wiped their tear dampened face and then sighed, setting their Colt down onto the bed and then left to head back into the living room. “Just when I thought things couldn’t have gotten much worse, it goes to full chaos out in the city.” Jackson said as they flopped themselves back down onto the couch. With a deep breath and long exhale Jackson muttered, “No use in panicking now, I know it’s already going to be bad and I might as well be ready for it. I’ve had my breakdown, and my mood swings, now it’s time to get my act together.” Then laid back down onto the couch and gazed up at the ceiling, listening to the sounds of chaos outside…

Having fallen asleep once more, but being awoken several times throughout the night until morning, Jackson rose at 11 AM that morning, likely the most sleep he’ll be getting in quite some time. Surprisingly the city had quieted down as if suddenly overnight people had committed a mass exodus and left the city. Groggily rubbing their eyes, the young man sat up and looked towards their room where the supplies and gear they had laid out from the night before still sat. So with a small grunt, Jackson got up, took their shower and cleaned up considering he might not in quite some time. Then they treated their morning fairly normal in the peaceful silence that hadn’t existed since nearly three weeks ago, and week 4 was just around the corner, one day until the Monday that would bring a whole new hell to their life. He had cooked up a hearty breakfast and ate, then with a soft sigh checked their phone to see they hadn’t missed any calls nor had a single new message. It almost brought tear to his eye seeing as the people he cared about most were now out of his contact. But he quickly waved it off with a quick sigh then sauntered on over towards their bedroom where all their gear and supplies sat. “
Well, I guess now I’ll never be exactly the same huh?” The young man said as they began to throw on all their new clothing, strapped on his colt holster, belt looped his knife, and went out with a different backpack on, intent on perhaps gathering some supplies and then coming back home. But also, they happened to grab hold of their compound bow, they hadn’t truly known why, but they did. So with that, the young man made their way outside of their dorm room and set off down the hallway towards the exit. As they stalked down the hallway, which had appeared to be eerily quiet, the young man slung their bow onto their shoulder and lead with his pistol in hand. After creeping their way towards the exit, Jackson looked outside and saw bodies, actually bodies lying on the campus grounds. “Oh jesus…what the fuck happened?” Jackson thought to himself as they crept through the doorway and began traversing across the campus with intent to search around the city for any supplies he might find useful to himself later in time. Once finally reaching the city, the young man looked in awe at how quickly things had gotten so bad, there was trash and debris strewn everywhere. People had left their luggage, their homes, and even a few bodies laid around the streets. Jackson walked past the sad sight as they advanced further into the city, it was depressing almost. Their travels throughout the city lasted hours until as they were creeping down a street, sticking to the shadows for the most part, their eyes caught sight of a man in a business suit searching through a vehicle. Jackson sighed lightly and opted to stalk closer, avoiding making any noise possible until they could get a great angle to watch the man and what they were doing….

Jackstack Jackstack (Sorry for the late and less detailed post, things haven't going so well since last Friday and I haven't had time to get much done for this rp. I'm trying to keep up but I keep getting my ass kicked so to say XD)

Last edited:
Houston
As Houston search for the keys to the car, he heard something coming from the passenger side. He looked out the passenger window and saw a man coming his direction. He saw the gun strapped on the man's belt and ducked down. This would be the second time he would have to deal with a mugger, and the third time that it was someone who was hostile. Remembering what happened with the mugger in Pittsburgh, he fell out of the car as he trying to get out. He landed on his back and gave out a "ooff", he rolled onto his stomach and got up using his arms. He got behind the front diver side wheel well of the car. He got his gun from the back of his belt, and held it below the hood of the car. He looked up with his head and said, "Listen, I see your gun, so you won't be surprising me. I don't want to hurt you, but I have a gun in my hand.".

Jackson immediately muttered the word fuck and dashed back into the shadows once the man had spotted them and mentioned they had a gun. Sighing lightly, the young man made their way around the alleyways to get a better angle on the person. "What a shocker, someone who wants me dead. Or alternatively thinks I want them dead." So with that thought, he ducked into the window of a nearby building about 75 yards from the man near the car and placed their back against a wall. Notching an arrow into their bow, Jackson sighed and thought about what they would say to the man. After several agonizing seconds of pondering, the young man drew the bow and spun around to aim the weapon at the person's head and spoke, "You've got a gun, I've got one and this bow. Go ahead and try to shoot me but I'll guarantee you won't hit me with that, but even if you try you'll have an arrow through your skull. Trust me when I say this. Now I'm not looking for a conflict but if I need to fight I will, I've already done it before and won't hesitate to do it again. You roll the dice now bud..." With their aim locked onto the individuals skull, he let out a soft but hardly sigh and hoped they would respond with something that wouldn't end up in one of the two dead.

Houston
"That's being extremely fucking unfair, you're holding an arrow to my head, while my gun is below the car. Plus, you're the one who comes strolling up to me with a fucking gun and bow." Houston had followed the man with his eyes, but lost him when he made a B-line for a building. If Houston had the man in sight, he could have bargained for a better deal, like putting the bow down, but he couldn't see him. Weighing his options, he took the gun and put it one the hood of the car, "Okay, I'm unarmed, I was just looking for a car to get out of here with. Mine ran out of gas and his over there." He said pointing to the grey car just a few feet away.​

Jackson watched as the man put his weapon down onto the hood of the car and decided to respond, "Look here, if you've seen and done what I've had to do in order to save my own skin, we'd be in this same situation if you were me and vice versa." He watched the man with intent eyes while there mask and beanie revealed only those. "Iiiiiiin hindsight, I suppose I do look like a mugger nowadays. But it's getting cold out..." Jackson thought to themselves as they pondered on what they really did look like. Watching as the man pointed to a nearby vehicle and stated they had simply run out of gas, he sighed an undrew his bow, still keeping an eye on the man despite the fact they had no line of sight of him inside the building.

Houston
Hearing the man's arrogance, "Holy shit, have you seen the world we're in now? I just came back from Pittsburgh, the shit isn't too pretty there either. I was just simply trying to get another car, I thought you were a mugger." he paused to scan his surroundings. He knew the man had to be around that building, so he took the gun from the hood and put it away. He then spoke up again, "How about this, you come out from hiding, so my nerves can have a break. To be warned, I put the gun back in my belt, but I AM NOT GOING TO SHOOT YOU.". He kept crouched there, not knowing if the man still had his arrow on Houston's head. As he was about to stand up, to show he did not have the gun in his hand, something from the side tackled him to the ground. It was one of those infected people. Houston put his right hand on the person's throat, with the other hand on their shoulder. He was attempting to knee them in the stomach, but that seemed to do no damage. "Jesus! get off.".​

Watching and listening as the man spoke, Jackson shrugged lightly to himself in agreement to how they bad things were across the entire coast. Then, after hearing them comment about showing themselves from their hiding, Jackson was about to do so until an infected grabbed hold of the man and tackled them to the ground. With quick thought and sight though, Jackson noticed that both of their heads showed just past the front bumper of the car and the drew their bow once more. Eyeing the sights and having them placed on the skull of the infected's temple, Jackson measured the distance and the arrow drop and aimed up just barely. Then with the release of the string, the bow made a simple and soft noise as the mechanisms brought the string forward and sent the projectile flying towards its target. As the man struggled down below with an infected person above them, teeth snapping, the arrow suddenly came as if from nowhere and with almost no noise. All that was heard was the faint FFF of the arrow then a bloody and spattering thud as the projectile pierced into the zeds skull and rendered it lifeless, blood dripping onto the ground and onto the mans clothes.

Houston
Houston struggled with the person, doing his best to keep the person's mouth away from him. He could feel that person's fingers attempting to tear through his blazer, though, the fabric was too strong for them to do so. After a few more moments, he heard a thump. The person's head then went limp, and they stopped fighting. Houston could feel the body become like a sack of potatoes. He pushed the body off and he crawled away, looking behind him as he did it, making sure that the aggressor was no longer active. When he made it to the back passenger door, he stood up. He finally saw what made the thump, it was an arrow. It was sticking about four inches out the entrance, and you could only see the silver and black tip sticking out the exit of the skull. He then took his hand and wiped his face. There was blood all over the palm and fingers of his hand. This was the first time he had gotten anyone else's blood on him. He didn't know what to think, there was a shock, then there was confusion. Reality for Houston stopped for a moment, but he knew that he couldn't dwell on it for long. He looked around to see if there were any more of those people walking around, and there was. He could see three coming from the entrance his parents apartment. He took his gun out, but he didn't fire at first, he had to warn the man who saved him, "HEY, there are three more headed this way." and with that, he turned around and went back into the driver's seat of the car. Then he looked at the ignition, there they were. He turned the ignition and nothing, the engine wasn't turning over and there were no clicks of the battery. It must be dead from sitting with it's lights on or something.

Jackson nodded as the man announced three more zeds approaching. Looking at their bow, he had realized they had only 5 arrows left, plenty for each zed even if he happened to miss once though. Looking out the window, the young mans eye scanned for each zed as they began to shamble towards their dead brethren. Once having spotted each one, Jackson nocked another arrow and with quick calculations sent another arrow into the first infected's skull. With the aluminum and steel tipped projectile piercing its skull, the creature dropped dead to the ground with an audible thump. Quickly snapping their sights to the second zed as they approached closer, Jackson nocked yet another arrow and drew his bow. Taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly, Jackson let his fingers slip from the string and send that arrow as well into the 2nd zeds skull only for the creature to drop in a similar motion. "Jesus, what the hell am I doing? In just two weeks I went from some artistic gym head to a full blown killer, what the hell. And who even is this guy, why am I helping him? Ah fuck it, enough questions Jackson..." The young man thought to themselves as the nocked the last arrow that should end the final zed. Watching the zed close in on the man below, he once again took a deep breath, and as the infected shambled past a broken car window he released the string of their bow and let the final killing arrow fly into the zeds temple. As the arrow penetrated and exited the zeds skull, nearby cars were sprayed with blackish blood and brain matter. After that whole situation, Jackson decided he might as well exit his building and go greet the man who's ass he saved 4 times over. Not to mention the fact he needed to grab his arrows again.

Houston
Houston saw that the man had killed the three infected people coming this way. The man had now appeared in his vision, coming out of the building that he ran to earlier. Houston was grateful that this man had helped him, but he wasn't sure his motives were pure. The man could have just needed Houston to get into his car, but that didn't make since, he left his car door wide open. Anyway, he no evidence that this man was going to hurt him. He could have waited till the infected person killed him, then he could have killed the infected person and taken his belongings. Either way, he had to greet the man who saved him. He got out of the dead car and walked over to his own. The area seemed clear, the two men talking could have attracted the infected people, which, if that was the case, only attracted the nearby ones. Albany was almost in the same state that Pittsburgh was in. With medical personnel spread thing and over worked, and the law enforcement only protecting the heavily populated areas. He went to his car, and opened the trunk. The only think he really needed from the trunk was the crowbar. It looked like he would have to go on foot, until he could find a place to stay or a working car. What about his suitcases, he couldn't just drag them around. He took the one that had the food in it, and transferred the first aid kit and the rope into it. Though, this made it almost impossible to close properly. He brought the suitcase he was taking onto the ground, and then started rummaging through the front of his car. He knew there was not much up there, but he was mainly looking for the bottle of wine he had taken from the bank. It was there, laying on the floor of the passenger side. He grabbed it and waited for the man to come over to his car.

Walking through the maze of abandoned cars and picking then cleaning the arrows he had used to kill the infected with, Jackson shot a gaze towards the man that was near their car. After placing his arrows back into their holding slots, the young man began to walk over towards then, slinging his bow onto their shoulder. As they approached the man, Jackson opted to pull down his mask so their face could be more easily seen and less of a threat be taken of him. So walking up towards the man with small chuckle, Jackson stopped only a few feet from them and greeted them with a simple, "Hey"

Houston
When he saw him walking up, Houston gave a friendly grin, "Hello, thank you for saving my life, when that infected person was on top of me. I've never had them come that close to be before." He sized up the man who was before him. He seemed young and athletic, and by the looks of it, Houston guessed almost a full ten years younger. He thought about shaking his hand, but thought a gift would do more justice. He held out the bottle of wine that was in his hand, "This is all I can spare, it's a bottle of 1945 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild. It's probably the best bottle of wine post-world war two." He had been saving it for the day he might have to trade for something like medicine or ammo, but giving to the man who saved his life would have to suffice. The one thing that he thought was ingenious was the fact that he was using a bow. It was quiet, simple, and you can retrieve your ammo. He made that comment to the man, "That's a nice piece of equipment you have there, just thought I'd point that out."

Jackson smiled lightly in response to the man's hello and softly pushed their hand away along with the wine bottle. "Don't bother, you'll probably need it more than me." The young man said, then after a few moments pass by and the man compliments their bow, he responds with a a quick thanks and then proceeded to introduce themselves, hand outstretched. "Names Jackson,"......

Houston
"Well, wine isn't for everyone." and he turns to put it down on the driver's seat. When he came back around, the mans hand was stretched out for a greeting, "Jackson, my name's Houston, like Texas.", and he grabbed the hand to shake it. He looked all around, noticing the lack of people and infected, and said, "I take it they're evacuating people to D.C. here too? That's what they're doing in Pittsburgh."

Taking the mans hand in a firm handshake, Jackson cracked a small smile and shook twice before letting their grip go. Though after listening to the mans comment on evacuation he sighed and shook their head a small bit. "They were trying, but things got too out of hand too fast and it looks more like they abandoned the city. Most people that were still alive scattered and fled the city, I've no idea if any military is left here in the city but my best bet is going to be a no...Besides, the panic around here only got worse when they announced that Phalanx wouldn't be coming here."

Houston
"Phalanx wasn't coming to Pittsburgh either, and the military was still a visible force when I was there. The emergency responders were still in operation, but they were on their last leg." Houston had largely ignored the United States as a whole. He was just paying attention to the places that concerned him, like Pittsburgh, Lost Angeles, and Albany. He knew that no other place, besides D.C., was going to be any better. Right now, he wasn't sure what to do, his plan was to pick up his parents and head to D.C., but that as changed. He looked at Jackson, Houston didn't know what his plans were, but he thought he ask him to come to D.C. with him, "Hey, Listen, my original plans aren't going to work out. I have to modify them a bit. I originally was going to pick some people up and we were going to travel to D.C. but they've gone. My ex hasn't called me back yet, as I told her if she left her post, call be and I'd pick her up. She hasn't called, and if Pittsburgh is like this place, then I fear that she might have not made it out. So as of now, I have no one coming with me. If you wan't to make the trip, we can look for a car or a gas station and head down."

Jonah was moving before he even knew it, gathering up his supplies into duffel bags. When he ran out of those, he went to the attic in search of the plastic storage totes he used to hold random odds and ends, mementos of years past. He dumped them on the ground without a second thought, replacing family heirlooms with first aid supplies. Military medals and ribbons with canned food. Spare clothing, camping gear, bottled water -- he'd have to find a place for all of it and quickly. Decker had no idea what Ian's text had been about, but it had sounded... final. And he hadn't responded to Jonah's repeated attempts to call or text him back.

Almost as an afterthought, he grabbed his old MARPAT utility uniform from where it had hung in his closet undisturbed for months. In the minutes of flurried activity, he had come to accept that he was heading to Nashville. He was leaving this house behind... maybe forever. Ian came first, then Rich. He'd gather them up and bring them with him. The Gunny hadn't mentioned anything about bringing dependents, but if they wanted him on the line at Berry Field then they'd damn well better make room. Simple as that. It took several trips to load everything into the Chevy before he finally went to step out of the house for the final time. The door open, he turned around in the threshold to cast one final glance around at the living room. As if on cue, the building was cast into darkness. The power was gone -- maybe for good.

If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.

Jonah stepped outside, shutting the door and locking it before slipping they into his pocket and making his way to the truck. After making sure everything was secure, he settled in for the ride to Atlanta. Any plans he may have had to bypass the city were shot; he wasn't going to leave without Ian. However, he wouldn't even attempt the interstate if he could avoid it. He knew very well that it would be jammed up northbound and southbound with static vehicles and panicked, potentially violent drivers. Which meant the State Route 23 -- which could potentially be just as bad -- and plenty of backroads. Settling into the driver's seat, Decker slammed the truck's door shut and backed out of the driveway. As he tore off down the road, he spared one last glance in the rearview mirror at his home of the past several years. It felt final.

His eyes flicked back to the road as his hand reached for the radio dial.

Jonah had been right. The journey to Atlanta was a nightmare from start to finish. A trip that once would have taken him only forty-five minutes even on a day with bad traffic ended up taking hours. Evening had come, bringing darkness with it. Jonah saw fewer emergency vehicles than he expected, until he got closer to Atlanta that is. He knew that wasn't a good sign, especially when he passed a police cruiser whose windshield had been riddled with bullet holes.

The backroads were passable, but the state highway was more clogged than he'd ever seen it. Vehicles were bumper-to-bumper in both directions. Some points were so bad that Jonah was forced to go off-road entirely, putting the truck's four-wheel-drive to good use rumbling down the shoulder along with several other like-minded drivers in 4x4s. A small sedan that attempted to emulate them ended up rolling down the embankment and promptly getting stuck along with the family inside. Before the outbreak, Jonah would have stopped and helped them out with a second thought. Now Jonah hardly spared them so much as a glance before rolling further down the highway.

The radio and its reports of the situation in Metro Atlanta growing increasingly desperate was drowned out. The sound of horns honking, distant sirens, and shouting voices made for a cacophony of noise that might have driven him insane if he lingered too long. It had another effect, too. It drew them. They had started to show up in ones and twos at first: stumbling out of the trees lining either side of the highway or from nearby buildings. Drawn by the chaos, they descended on whatever vehicle was unlucky enough to be closest. Motorists, desperate to escape the fists slamming mindlessly against their windows, attempted to plow through the vehicles in front of them, creating accidents that only stalled traffic further. Jonah saw one man raise a pistol and fire twice through his own windshield, the muzzle flash illuminating the interior of his vehicle like flashes of yellow lightning.

JD_AtlantaSkylineNorthwest-S.jpg

It was enough to convince Decker to leave the highway as soon as possible, making the rest of the distance on sidestreets. It didn't take long for the Atlanta skyline to come into view, but it brought little relief to him. It certainly didn't feel like a finish line. Jonah knew he wouldn't be satisfied until he found his little brother, safe and sound. His truck rolled around static vehicles, narrowly dodging other vehicles that sped down one-way streets in the wrong direction without a care. Sirens filled the air along with the sound of distant gunshots. Smoke from raging fires deeper in the city obscured what little moonlight there was.

He made it to Turner Stadium before abruptly coming to a stop. Blocking off the street ahead were multiple Humvees, a mix of woodland green and matte desert tan. Armed Soldiers were stationed in front of them, one manning a machine gun mounted atop one of the vehicles. One of the Soldiers, clearly in charge, furiously stepped forward to wave him off. Taking a deep breath, Jonah rolled slowly forward instead, closing the distance with the makeshift barricade. Rifles came up, muzzles pointed in his direction, while the Soldier manning the turret slewed the weapon onto his truck.

Adrenaline pumping, Jonah rolled down the driver's side window and held out his left hand, palm outward before coming to a stop once again, only fifty feet from the row of Humvees. Slowly, the leader of the unit approached, rifle at the ready, accompanied by one of his men. Jonah remained completely still, having shifted the truck into Park and waiting for them to finish their sweep. Finally, the leader approached his window cautiously.

"I'm Sergeant Renner. This area's off-limits to civilians. There's no getting into Downtown," he said gruffly. "For your own safety, you should turn your truck around and head back the way you came."

Jonah shook his head. "I can't. My brother's at the GSU campus. I've just been activated. They're sending me to Nashville but I need to make sure he's okay first."

Renner's eyes lit up, but his tone was grim. "You're military?"

Jonah nodded. "Yeah, Marines. 4th Combat Engineers." His eyes narrowed in the dark to find the unit patch attached to the side of the Sergeant's sleeve. "3rd ID? Your unit would have been in Iraq about the same time I was."

Renner looked back at him, biting his lip before sighing. "I'll get my guys to let you through, but you should know: what you're going to find Downtown is worse than anything you saw in the Sandbox or Afghanistan. It's a clusterfuck. So watch yourself. And if one of those things comes at you? Go for the brain." Catching Jonah's incredulous look, the Sergeant merely shook his head. "Just trust me."

Jonah nodded. "Thank you," he said weakly, not knowing what else to add that would convey his gratitude.

The NCO merely waved it off. "Don't thank me. Just get out alive." He turned toward his squad, giving them a wave. "Let 'em through!"

There was no argument from any of the Soldiers as they climbed into the Humvees and put them in reverse, rolling backward just enough to let Jonah's truck roll through the gap. With one final wave to Renner, Decker shifted the Chevy into drive and made his way down the street.

Jonah pulled up outside of Ian's apartment building, part of the student housing allotment for Georgia State University. The area was almost eerily quiet, especially in comparison to what he'd seen on the way here, making his way down side streets and through narrow alleyways barely large enough to allow the truck entrance. Climbing out, Jonah made his way up to the front entrance. He left the bush hook behind -- the improvised weapon would be far too cumbersome to swing indoors. Instead, he wielded the Marine Corps bayonet in one hand and an LED flashlight in the other. The glass doors of the building were shattered, the reception desk predictably empty. Furniture in the lobby was overturned, blood smeared on the walls. Emergency lighting flickered one an off intermittently overhead.

Jonah knew better than to try the elevators. Instead, he made his way to the stairwell, cautiously pushing the metallic door open and ascending the steps toward the third floor where Ian's apartment was. The lighting was sparse; the flashlight's narrow beam was all he had to guide himself with. He paused several times upon hearing a distant sound -- shuffling footsteps, the dripping of some unknown fluid, a bestial groan -- before continuing on when he judged it safe. Reaching the door leading out to the corridor, he stopped to press his ear against it, listening for any telltale signs of activity on the other side. Nothing.

360_F_278214714_azmsCb08QAg3cTODmdlZwHplTulj2woS.jpg

Jonah cautiously turned the knob, pulling the door open and stepping into the hallway beyond. Behind him, tucked into an alcove, was a small vending area with an ice maker and several snack & drink machines -- all ransacked for their contents. In the other direction, the corridor was lined with numbered doors on either side. A prone body lay halfway down, resting face down on the tiled floor with blood pooling on to the tiled floor beneath him. Jonah moved forward at a steady pace, watching the corpse closely. He couldn't get the image out of his head of those corpses in Cape Town standing up, bloody and eviscerated by a hail of bullets.

His concern turned out to be unfounded. The man's head -- and Jonah could only tell it had once been a man by the clothes he was wearing and his overall stature -- was an utter ruin, caved in by something heavy. Stepping cautiously over the body, Jonah continued moving down the hallway. He could've swore he heard the sound of sobbing emanating from one of the apartments, but it disappeared as soon as he drew close. Finally, reaching Ian's door, Decker quietly knocked twice.

"Ian!" he hissed in a whisper.

No response. He fished a key from his pocket. He had duplicated his little brother's apartment key months before "in case of an emergency". Ian had been against it -- and it undoubtedly violated several lease agreements -- but Jonah had been persistent. Inserting it into the lock, turned the key and opened the door, hastily stepping inside and closing it behind him before raising the flashlight to scan the apartment. It was nearly pitch-black aside from moonlight filtering in through the open window. His heart skipped a beat when he saw blood smeared along the counter tops of the tiny kitchen area. Chairs were knocked over, a cellphone -- Ian's cellphone -- resting on the floor, the screen caked with dried blood.

bf4e57420355b741970e2758ec95f64d.gif

"Ian!" Jonah said, louder this time, his tone desperate as he entered the living room. Then he heard it. The sound of shuffling footsteps coming from the bedroom. The beam of his flashlight caught the form as it entered the living room. It was Ian.

It used to be Ian.

In those split seconds as Jonah's brain processed what he was seeing, it didn't take long for him to realize that his little brother was gone. It wasn't the blood -- so much blood, too much blood -- that soaked his shirt and pants. It wasn't the enormous gouge chunks of flesh missing from the sickening wounds covering his arms and shoulder. It wasn't even the almost animalistic growl that seemed to rumble deep in his chest when he locked his gaze on Jonah.

It was the eyes.

From the moment Ian was born, Jonah even remembered the nurses in the maternity ward being smitten by his bright green eyes. As he grew up, those eyes always seemed to have just a hint of mischief behind them as he charmed teachers and principals and girlfriends. Now those green pools were clouded over, no longer full of life or intelligence or humanity. The pupils didn't constrict in spite of the focused beam of the flashlight on them. They just stared blankly ahead.

Ian lunged.

Jonah barely had a chance to react, dropping the flashlight on the floor and reaching up to grapple with the savage mockery of his little brother, turning with the momentum and slamming him against the drywall of the apartment. Ian gnashed his teeth, letting out a stream of grunts and growls as he struggled against Jonah's grip.

"Ian, don't-- please--" Decker pleaded as he tightened his grip around the young man's shoulders, keeping him pinned against the wall. He knew he wouldn't be able to hold him long -- his strength was almost unbelievable. He knew there was only one way he got out of this alive. Renner's words rang through his mind. Go for the brain. His right hand, still wrapped around the grip of the bayonet, released his hold on Ian's arm. He flipped the knife over in his hand, point-down. The "icepick" grip, just as he'd been taught.

His fist reared back and came down. Hard. The tip of the blade found bone and glanced off the spherical surface of the skull, tearing flesh off the scalp but nothing more. Jonah felt his grip on Ian's shoulder slipping. He brought the knife back and down again. He felt air parting obediently before its edge, before suddenly meeting resistance. Bone fractured as the tip drove through the temple and into the brain. Ian's brain. Jonah felt his little brother's body go limp and he slowly released his hold, allowing it to slide down against the wall in a heap. Decker felt his knees buckle. He collapsed with his back to the kitchen counter as tears began to stream down his face. "I'm so sorry."

Jonah wasn't sure how long he stayed there, sobbing, staring at the ruined body of his youngest sibling. Minutes? An hour? Finally, he managed to force himself robotically to his feet. He knew he wouldn't be able to take Ian's body with him for burial. Reclaiming his blade, Jonah did a cursory search of the apartment before heading back downstairs and leaving the apartment building behind. As he moved toward his truck, he nearly froze in his steps. Down the street the way he'd come earlier was a mob -- a horde -- of infected. Dozens or more staggering his way slowly and inevitably, their chorus of groans filling the sky. They were eerily silhouetted in the moonlight. Decker climbed hastily into the Chevy and fired it up, speeding down the road in the opposite direction.

It took over half an hour to find a suitable route out of Atlanta on a backroad headed northwest toward the Tennessee border. Looking in the rearview mirror, he watched the city's skyline -- now partially obscured by pillars of smoke -- gradually shrink with distance.

Last edited:
Robert / Ethan / Danielle
Image / Image / Image

Chicago had very quickly become an unsafe city in the first week. The three siblings had holed up in Ethan's apartment for as long as they possibly could, but Ethan didn't have much in terms of food inside. So Ethan left on the few occasions to go to local grocery stores or gas stations in an attempt to get what he could. This was difficult considering the dead were roaming and looting was rampant still.

After the first week they'd heard that the military was pushing into the city, slowly but surely taking it back. Ethan had planned to take his siblings and leave with them once they reached this far in. That day however never came. Phalanx that was meant to be passed to the public never hit Chicago either, and it was starting to look like the nightmare would never end.

So they decided that leaving the city was the best choice, or rather Ethan did, and his younger siblings argued with him until they gave up. Fact was help wasn't coming, and they had to get out. Robert was scared despite the facade he gave, and Danielle just didn't want to give up.

Much to all of their surprise however someone did come, and they were moved into a resettlement camp. Located at the nearby sports arena, it was crowded and hectic but it was better than the streets. Cots lined the large location, there was a lack of privacy which Danielle wasn't a fan of but Ethan and Robert had little complaints.

They were to be tested to make sure none were infected, and moved from area to area before they could be cleared. Before their blood was drawn the three waited nearby until one of the medical personnel came over with two of the center's security. "She has to come with us to be quarantined elsewhere." The woman spoke pointing at Danielle, causing her twin brother to jump to her defense and stick himself between the security and his sister. But before anything could go further Ethan stuck his arms out towards both parties, "Wait, just hold on. She only has a cold, not whatever this plague is."

It was clear there would be no exceptions, "If she's cleared you'll all meet back up in area two in twenty-four hours. You don't have a choice in this." Ethan was hesitant as he glanced over at the twins, if he thought for a second this wouldn't end well he would have fought for his sister then and there. Ethan's arms lowered and the security took that as permission to escort her, Robert on the other hand had a different idea and he swiped at the first of the two that took a step forwards.

"Stop it!" Ethan shouted, grabbing the younger man forcefully enough to haul him out of the way and keep him from doing anything stupid. "Danny will be fine." He tried to reassure Rob despite the fact that he was using his larger form to keep Robert from intervening. Danielle didn't look pleased about it but went without a fight.

True enough 24 hours later they would be reunited with Danielle getting the all clear. The incident did however cause Robert and Ethan's relationship to become somewhat strained, the younger had been snappy since.

The process of 24 hour holds before moving to a new area in the arena continued on repeat for five days, after that they were loaded onto a bus bound out of the city, heading straight for Detroit.

-----

The trip took nearly two days, but the escort eventually got them there with little incident despite everything. And the refugee center they were placed in was what used to be a homeless shelter. People here were a little less volatile than those in Chicago from what Ethan had noticed, to no surprise considering the cities state.

It was only hours after getting settled in that some shouting started somewhere across the large room filled with beds, Robert and Danielle had been sitting on Rob's bed playing cards with little else to do and Ethan had been nearby speaking to one of the other refugee's. John was his name if Ethan remembered correctly, the other man was talking about Washington and how it was supposedly safe there, much more than it was here. But that was a trek and a half, and he suspected there wouldn't be anyone to escort them. Ethan had glanced over his shoulder at the angrily raised voice, assuming that it was someone not pleased with his accommodations and would be removed. That was until the first two shots went off one after the other, there were screams and momentary panic that had Ethan's eyes moving to where they slept.

The siblings had ducked down off behind the bed luckily and Ethan moved to close the distance between them, just as another shot that sounded from a different gun went off and the shouting ended. Ethan didn't pause in his stride until he made sure they were good.

After the incident Detroit felt far less appealing, or at least this location in particular and none of them wandered too awful far from one another at the shelter.​

O85X5bJ.jpg

Week Four

World News

CNN / Viral

Nothing of international news. All CNN is playing when it reports on international news is repeating video of recent coverage from overseas. As well none of the reporters or new anchors as stating any of reasoning behind this; they are simply acting as though it were perfectly normal. The anchors on site are now looking more and more worn, stumbling and stuttering over words as they discuss national news.

National News

CNN

FgpLnIQ.jpg

“Today in national news the US military prepare to take on the onslaught of undead in Yonkers, New York. Reporting live from Yonkers is Tracey Keller with Staff Sergeant Reynolds.” Footage changes to see Tracey standing with in front of an A&P in Yonkers New York. In the valley behind them is an array of military personnel and vehicles at the ready. They have formed up using the typical “Cover and Concealment” strategy often seen in warfare; trenches have been dug up to for tanks and grunts alike to take cover within, the concrete busted up, there are piles of cement that other reinforcements are hidden behind. Camo nets cover the tanks of various colors: Greens and Tan are most common, though some are still matte black fresh off the line. Beyond this scene the freeway can be seen where the dead were already starting to trickle towards them at a distance from the New York City skyline behind.

“Thank you Cassidy and Randal, I have Staff Sergeant Reynolds with me today on the hottest day of the year so far, to walk us through some the US military plans for the horde within New York City, Staff Sergeant Reynolds?” She turns the microphone over to the officer standing with her and he clears his throat.

“Yes, thank you.” He pivots slightly to show the various military vehicles behind him. “As you can see we are far better prepared for handling the ‘Zack’s’ that are still within the city. We have already evacuated the refugees from the city and have set up speakers along the route to draw the Zack our way in a single file.” Already in the background its evident their system is working as ‘Zack’ are starting to meander down the highway towards the set up lines of defense. The Staff Sergeant starts to walk with the reporter closer to the lines where the infantry are set up. “We have set up four sets of kill zones.” He points out to a series of color flags along the highway. “The furthest will be covered by our latest military advancement “Steel Rain” our MRLS. The next zone is covered by our Paladins and HE 155s, third will be covered by our Humvees with Mark 19s and Comanche’s with Hell fire's’ and Hydra’s equipped. And finally the last zone will be covered by our infantry. We do not expect to have any make it beyond the second zone, but better safe than sorry.” He gave a grim smile and continued on.

“We’ll be taking a higher position for this, if you’ll follow me.” Staff Sergeant Reynolds was moving away from the reporter, she was following behind and waving the camera crew to follow. They do so, climbing a set a metal stairs to a raised platform to have a better overview of what was about to evolved. The camera is set up on a stand, to avoid movement as the report speaks softly off camera: As you can see down the freeway there are already ‘Zack’ trickling from the inner city following the breadcrumbs left behind by the military. It is said that this action is to make up for what was lost in Chicago. The US military and government alike were embarrassed by what occurred, that they weren’t prepared for what had happened and are vowing to not lose another city the same way. The Zack headed from the city grow in numbers, the trickle becoming thicker, overhead the MRLS screech towards their targets, however the audio is cut and they are given the audio linked directly to the military personnel on site, the bottom of the screen shows <<<LAND WARRIOR AUDIO CONNECTED>>> and in the bottle left is a continuous cycle of different views and vantage points streaming from the infantry and personnel wearing MOPP 4 gear.

Ahead on the freeway the MRLS deploy sending out the “Steel Rain” – tiny metallic looking droplets of chemical. As the rain encounters the Zack it can be seen burning through flesh and bone. Some of these droplet land on the abandoned vehicles and as they burn through the metal gas tanks ignite sending up massive explosions and tearing apart the moving Zack with the shrapnel. On the land warrior audio cheers and shouting for joy are met as the smoke clears and nearly three quarters of the Zack that had been there are now gone, burning remains.

Some of the Zack continue to move forward, entirely unfazed, limbs are falling off, organs spilling from the torn corpses. Within a few minutes more Zack are pouring from the city, drawn by the noise and light. The trickle becomes a steady stream and once more the MRLS streak over head and release. Steel rain falls over the growing horde, but this time less than half of the horde fall to it. With no further vehicles gas tanks to ignite there are not more explosions.

The horde crosses into the secondary kill zone. The Paladins fire their HE 155s and the voice of the reporter returns over the audio. These are the US military’s HE 155s: High explosive cores with fragment case. I am told they are meant to do SNT to the horde, Sudden Nerve Trauma, to cause internal organ damage and cause the Zack to be disabled. The HE’s hit their target and impact rattles the camera stand, however when the dust settles there is almost not effect. The Zack’s corpses have been torn apart, it is evident that bodies have been eviscerated but they continue to push forward unharmed. Below from the trenches the Humvees and Bradley open fire and the Land Warrior audio is reconnected. Assumedly officers are ordering for the tanks and mortars to be fired into the oncoming horde.

Further the horde pushes the stream turning into a river, the tanks and Humvees continue to fire on the oncoming horde but this only causes the first portions of the horde to fall the ranks behind crawling over their brethren undeterred. Soon fire starts to die out but the Zack continue to shamble forwards, they cross over the last kill zone and the SAW is released. Black smoke covers everything and silence falls over the Land Warrior audio as everyone is holding their breath and waiting. The camera moves, being hand held once more as it zooms in to the final kill zone. As the smoke starts to clear the first of the Zack horde can be seen, behind it hundreds and thousands still is pushing forward.

The land warrior audio explodes with voices shouting over each other:

“Oh shit, OH SHIT!”

“There’s too many.”

“We gotta get the fuck outta here!”

“I hit him in the head and he didn’t die! They don’t die when you shoot them in the head!” “What?” “They don’t die?” “Who said that?” “You shot it in the head?”” Holy crap! They’re indestructible!”

“Everyone pipe down!” “Hold the line! Stay off the net!” Screaming over takes all the voices on the land warrior audio and the video in the bottom left of the screen is filled with the sight of blood spurting into a mouth of broken teeth. The man’s location is in a yard of a house behind the line. “They’re behind us!” “They’re coming out of the houses! The line’s broken!” They’re everywhere!”

“Stay off the net!” The live link goes dead, the audio is cut and returned to the camera audio and the mic’d reporter breathing heavily, near panicked. Once more audio is impossible to listen to as the JSFs fly low overhead dropping JSOW over the horde. Nothing is seen of the horde for several pregnant moments of silence until the smoke starts to clear and horde is still ever present. The camera is dropped, leaving it filming the front line where the soldiers and infantry in the trenches are being overrun. The video cuts back to CNN but not to the reporter, to a pre-filmed segment that has been airing repetitively for days now in lieu of international news.

After this even no more US media is displayed nationwide, only the previously seen segments and never Yonkers. After a few days even this is ended, all cable and satellite channels are dead as well as the connection to the internet. All that remains is radio stations and even these are few and far between.

The country starts to fall into the darkness; the only places that have power are those with their own generators, or the ‘safe zones’.

Safton Safton Crono Crono St. Boethius St. Boethius Sir Swigglesworth Sir Swigglesworth Jackstack Jackstack DemetrioMachete DemetrioMachete

It had taken Ginny several days to recover from the incident with Deputy Cross. Her physical wounds were minimal; moderate to server bruising where the remnant of Cross had gripped her, mill bruising on her back when she had fallen down the stairs to the gravel pathway. Even her head ache had dissipated the day after, but yet she couldn’t shake the image of Deputy Cross’s dead eyes and guttural moans. It had been a distance rumor for Ginny, something that was happening in other places to other people, not here and not now. It was overwhelming, knowing there was nothing to do to prevent it, no way to stop it from coming to her door step.

She had spoken to Charlie only briefly in this time. He had come to see how she was doing, but he didn’t need her to say anything to know she had been shaken. During their conversation she had made it clear to Charlie to tell Sergeant O’Donovan they needed to be moved, sooner rather than later. Charlie said he would relay the message, but he didn’t. He already knew the answer he would get from the Sergeant, not to mention they had already lost enough other provisioners attempting to move them in haste the army wouldn’t risk losing this place too. McCone County was far safer than most of the rest of the country, Charlie knew this, but there would be no telling Ginny.

***​

The cattle continued to return to the pens in the morning bloodied and the odd dairy cow missing. Now knowing the predator that ailed them didn’t make it any easier. Fences continued to be repaired and reinforced and by mid-week Ginny gave up allowing the cattle out in the fields overnight; making the effort with her farm hands to head out before dusk and herd the cows back into the barn yard for safe keeping overnight. At least now they were watched over by the onsite Reserves and any ‘predators’ that came to feast were handled by them, even disposed of before Ginny or anyone else needed to see them.

Marta had finally resigned to coming and staying with Ginny and her ever growing crowd. She lived just outside of town in an apartment complex, it was a far cry from its city brethren: the building was only three stories high and housed a total of twelve 3-bedroom apartments, most of which were occupied by Marta’s own family. The farm hands were Marta’s older children, or nieces and nephews; Marta’s youngest son wasn’t even her own but her grandson. She had taken the boy in to raise as her own after her daughter died during childbirth.

***​

m9cPjic.jpg
It was Jackson’s birthday and Ginny felt horrible. She hadn’t forgotten the date, she never would, but the state of the world made it impossible for them to celebrate in any appropriate fashion. Jackson was more than understanding leading up to his birth date. He knew there would be no presents, no party with his friends. It was Ginny’s tradition to wake up her kids with a cake in bed for their birthday, she always made a deal out of the day, just to contrast how her parents had been with her and her sister when they were growing up. There had been some years, she could recall, that they hadn’t even wished her a happy birthday. “Everyone has Birthday’s Virginia, don’t make a big deal out of it.” After she had had kids she made the decision that she would make a deal about it. It was their day! It was about them and only them once in 365 days.

She was up and in the kitchen at 2am of Jackson’s birthday; she had pulled all of the ingredients out the pantry and cupboards to look over it. She didn’t have eggs, milk or butter. Nothing perishable which meant half of her ingredients for the cake was amiss. She could recall when she and Jackson had lived together, before they were married and living on the Wallace farm, how difficult it had been to pull together enough money for rent, let alone food. She had become creative with substitutions and she was determined for this to work now.

Hours of trial and error later she finally managed to make a cake that was reasonably right. It was slightly too thick, and a little too moist, but it would pass for a cake in the apocalypse: at the very least she was able to scrounge up enough icing sugar to cover and sweeten it as a whole. After substituting eggs, milk and butter for applesauce, water and vegetable oil she was ready to call it a success except she didn't have the items for make any icing. Being creative she started unwrapping candy bars to line the exterior of the cake using a ribbon to hold them up and filled the top with M&M's. She added candles to the top and pocketed a lighter before heading upstairs, calling her makeshift cake a success. With the new living arrangements meant that all the kids, including Katie’s teenagers, were sharing a room. That was eight kids from ages 5 to 10 and two teenagers (14 and 16) in one place. This was going to be far from the typically quiet morning celebration they normally had, and she only hoped it wouldn’t disturb the rest of the house too much.

She pushed the door open and started moving around the room waking up the kids’ one at a time, keeping them quiet until they reached Jackson and Lisa-May’s shared bed. She sat on the edge and set the cake on the night table next to the bed. Gently she rubbed Jackson’s back, leaning over to whisper quietly to him. “Morning Jacks. Happy birthday.” The boy stirred, and if it were any other morning he would have batted her away and cried about sleeping in, but he knew what this was. He sat up bolt in bed with a sleepy grin.

“I thought we wouldn’t have any cake.” He mumbled quietly as Ginny lit the candles.

“I’d go to the ends of the Earth for you and Liza-May.” Ginny promised, bringing the cake closer to Jackson while the kids started to sing.

It was like the herd of cattle was in the house. Candles had been blown out, birthday wish made –Jackson wanted to go skateboarding for his birthday, a perfectly reasonable request so far as Ginny was concerned. His second request made all the kids hold their breath, and when it was given an affirmative they rushed from the bedroom and down the stairs to the kitchen. Jackson had asked if they could have cake for breakfast. Any hope Ginny had had of allowing the other adults to sleep was gone, as the kids stampeded their way down the stairs yelling and laughing.

She followed behind far more quietly; giving apologizes to the sleepy confused faces that appeared in doorways. Once in the kitchen Katie’s kids had already brought out plates and forks and the kids were waiting as quietly and as patiently as crack addicts would for their next hit. Breakfast was a delightful disaster, kids where wild with sugar, the adults were awake and cursing Ginny until she handed them coffee.

***​

It took hours to settle the kids down enough to organize them to go out, there wasn’t anywhere near by that Jackson could get his wish, the only paved surface was inside the barn and certainly not acceptable enough to skateboard in. She was able to strong arm Katie and Marta into transporting children from the farm to the local skate park. As she was loading skateboards and protective equipment into the back of her truck, the Katie’s truck and Marta’s van were already packed and ready, Charlie rushed up to stop them.

“Ginny you can’t leave.” He said, rather boldly. Whether it was protectiveness or dominance Ginny had a hard time distinguishing which. She closed up the bed of the truck and turned to face him.

“Jacks wants to go skateboarding, he’s going to get his birthday wish. You don’t think it’s safe, you better get your shit together and come with us.” She wasn’t stupid enough to believe they wouldn’t encounter anything on their way there, but she knew at the very least that the skate park itself was fully enclosed, it was typically a paid experience, but she figured a set a bolt cutters was enough for their admission today. She had also made a point of keeping her knife on her and her bow loaded ready in the back.

She pushed passed Charlie intent on going to the front but he grabbed her upper arm tightly, tuning her to face him. She hissed as his fingers pressed into the bruises Deputy Cross had left behind days ago. “What is wrong with you, Ginny?” He said, voice lowered but still harsh. “You trying to get yourself killed?”

Before she could say or do anything Katie was behind him, giving the back of his knee a swift kick and sending him down onto the gravel driveway, freeing Ginny from his grasp. “I’ve had enough of you.” Katie said, gearing up to give the man another kick, but stopped when Ginny told her to.

***​

AGQNqBn.jpg
Charlie did not come to the skate park, however a truck with some of the other local reserves did arrive shortly after Ginny, Katie and Marta with their truck loads of kids. Thankfully there were only two that needed to be put down at the park itself, both people had been injured and disfigured beyond recognition and Ginny wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not. Katie was convinced it was, not knowing who had been returned from the dead to kill their loved ones, but Ginny felt pain seeing them. Not knowing who they were; they should be remembered and grieved over.

Once the area was secured and the gate opened they moved their vehicles into the park before letting the kids out with their equipment. The Reserves kept vigil while the kids played, Ginny Marta and Katie finding a quiet bench to sit and watch. Hours drew on and the kids were becoming tense and irritable, sugar had worn out of their system and Ginny had little doubt they were getting hungry. Thankfully she had the fore-thought to pack lunch for them, but before she could get back to her truck a shouting match erupted between Jackson and Fitzpatrick. They had been warned noise attracted the dead so she quickly put an end to it.

“But mom.” Jackson whined as she dragged him away from the other two Katie was quieting down. “They called me a liar.” She had her arm over his shoulder leading him to the truck: she had recruited his help to get lunch ready. “I told them you used to skateboard with daddy and they said I lied, that you never did.” The boy was still pouting as she lifted up to sit on the tailgate of the truck.

“What does it matter if they think you lied or not?” She asked him, dragged the cooler over to the edge of the truck and opened it, pulling out the pre-made and wrapped sandwiches. “You know the truth, and that’s all that matters.” He watched her son’s pout continue, he clearly didn’t like her answer. “Jacks, understand this, there are always people out there who won’t believe you, no matter what you say or do. But as long as you tell the truth and don’t let them get under your skin that’s all that matters.” The boy nodded, she was about to go on but she could hear the Fitzpatrick kids shouting again. She turned to see Katie striding towards her, angry, the pack of kids behind the two now calling Katie a liar.

“Gin!” Katie called angrily as she approached. “They think you can’t board.” She said, hands on her hips, clearly annoyed. Ginny blinked in disbelief; here she was teaching her son a life lesion her older sister never learned. “You need to show them and prove I’m right.” She said, tapping her foot, the kids now watched her with interest.

She looked back at Jackson sternly. “This doesn’t change what I’ve said.” She turned to Katie and took the offered skateboard, dropping it on the ground and stepping onto the deck.

***​

It had been years since she’d last been skateboarding, long before the kids were able to walk; it had been a pastime when she had been stuck in the house with the two toddlers and less and average adult contact. Joe would take the kids at night and give her free reign to do as she wanted, even if she didn’t want to be away from them he still made her leave the house. Often schooled her on the importance of time alone, away from the kids; he had read every parenting book he’d come across after all.

It was like riding a bike, she never forgot how to move correctly, shift her weight going up and down ramps. It took a few minutes for her to get the feel for the board itself; she had always preferred her long board (Which was still tucked away in the attic). The pack of kids watched in disbelief as she did her first circle around the park, checking out the obstacles before going a second time. She started simple, easy minor tricks: Kick flips and switches before moving up to grinding rails and the half pipe. After her first near miss; she had nearly toppled over the top of the rail at the top of the half pipe, she was done with her demonstration. She made her way back to the awaiting kids, Katie and her own smiling in triumph whilst the rest watched her with mouths agape.

Jackson nodded lightly and Houston's words, following along to what they were saying. Then after hearing the offer of going with the man towards DC, he sighed lightly. "I mean, well I guess I could go really. I haven't been able to contact anyone I know and to be honest, I fear the worst. So I guess now would be the time to either nut up or shut up....Fuck it, yeah I'll tag along with you Houston. I have some supplies back at my dorm room on campus that we can go get later today. Sound good?" Jackson had asked quietly, as if knowing to not talk loud and that it would attract more zeds. After that, the young man slung his bow across their shoulder and stood there arms at their sides while ever so often scanning the area for any signs of movement.

Leaving Michigan
Merlin and Jack were silent for several hours of driving. They only stopped to use the restroom and get gas, though, oddly enough, they couldn't find the clerk. By now, Merlin and Jack were fully aware that people were dying and doing some crazy things when they were sick.. The strings of anarchy tugged at the two of them. Jack was far more pragmatic about it; manipulating the station computer to fill their car up with as much gas as needed replaced. When Merlin questioned him about it, Jack would simply make an off remark on how he made sure to leave some money behind, even though he really didnt. After they fueled up, it was several more hours of quiet driving.

As night fell, Jack fell asleep. Merlin kept to himself about this, knowing he needed to stay vigilant. Eventually they happened upon a motel, as they neared the state line. The whole time, Merlin had been heading west, figuring there would be less issues with the sickness if they situated themselves in the rural countryside of the U.S. Merlin dragged Jack into the motel, vastly relieved at the realization that it was empty. He found an open room, set Jack down upon a bed, and locked the door behind him. As the boxer began to get cozy, he realized that he left his car unlocked. As much as he wanted to go and lock it, the realization dawned on him that there wasn't much of value in his car; as he had brought his keys and weapons with him inside, and Jack's pistol was strapped to his leg. He let it be, and caught some much needed rest.

They awoke next morning, to silence. It was a mixture of relieving and terrifying to know that. After they rested further and stretched, Merlin and Jack were ready to take to the road again. As they left the motel, and reached the car, Merlin was relieved that no one had broken in. Soon, they drove off, not sharing any words about how they ended up at that motel.

Half an hour later, Jack started to fidget with the radio. He wanted to know what was going on; yet it seemed like every station he tuned to only gave back static. Frustrated, the trainer asked his boxer,

"So where are you taking us, man?"

"Out to the country. Less people means less sickness. I'm vaccinated, so they don't have anything to worry about from me."

"It's gonna be a long drive to get to a country town, baby. Hope you know where to go."

"What state doesn't have a lot of people? Like.. Less than Battle Creek?"

"Uuuh.. Montana? Man I don't know."

"....actually, yeah. Montana sounds like a good bet. They got a population of like what, 70,000 total?"

"I ain't gonna quote you on that playa, but that sounds about right."
NanLia NanLia

Houston
"Sounds good, I only have to worry about my things now. I have two suitcases and a crowbar. I don't think it's too much of a trouble to carry them around. Though, if we're just going to use my car, I'll leave them here. So then the only thing I'd have to worry about is the gas for my car." He pondered that thought in his head, either leave the car for a new one, which would make him carry the two suitcases, or just find gas for his car. Gas cans wouldn't be an issue to find, but carrying them would be. So, wither carry the suitcases or the gas cans. He looked at Jackson for his input, "The only issue with taking my car is the gas, it be a lot of work to carry enough gas to get us anywhere. Since we're headed to D.C, together, I'd appreciate you opinion."

One Day Later...

1.jpg

Jonah brought the truck to a halt outside the cabin, rain pattering lightly against the truck. It was his first time here. He had written down the address at Rich's insistence that he come up one day, back to "their old stomping grounds". His older brother had been so proud of his new dream home he'd had built for his wife and newborn daughter. He wanted Jonah to join him on a hunting & fishing trip in the Blue Ridge Mountains, to come on a picnic with Rich's family. Jonah had promised him that he would: just as soon as he mustered out of the Marines. As soon as work at the surveying firm lightened up. As soon as he had things at home squared away.

But he never did.

The trip up from Atlanta had been rough. While he hadn't ended up in anymore close calls like at the apartment, finding a suitable route north had taken hours. Not wanting to chance the journey at night, he had ultimately ended up pulling off into a deserted campground just outside of Roswell. After making sure the truck's doors were locked and hanging up a tarp over the windows, he had managed a fitful night's sleep. He had come dangerously close to running out of fuel, being forced to use the meager supply he'd scavenged from the generator at home to get this far.

Jonah saw Rich's raggedy old Ford Bronco parked alongside the cabin. He was here, he had to be. Decker stepped slowly out of the Chevy, the early mountain drizzle greeting him immediately. Jonah walked toward the house, mildly concerned that Rich hadn't emerged to greet him or even hold him up at gunpoint as potential intruder. He hadn't exactly been quiet in his approach up the mountainside driveway. Still, some part of his mind was glad at the fact. Any additional time he could spend avoiding the task of telling his older brother about Ian was welcomed.

Jonah had felt "numb" for the entire journey from Atlanta. It wasn't the first time he had mourned, of course. He had hated himself for missing his father's passing years ago while he was stuck in some faraway war zone. He had lost more than a few friends and acquaintances in those same war zones over the years. But to put a blade through his little brother's temple and leave his body to rot in some godforsaken apartment because he had no other choice... that was something very different. The memory made him want to scream, vomit, and collapse all at once. But instead he did none of those things, focusing on the here and now that was right in front of him. Focusing on survival.

Jonah approached the front door slowly, his boots echoing against the steps leading up to the front porch. "Rich?" he called out. "It's Jonah." No response. He tried the front door, surprised to find it unlocked. He opened it slowly.

The smell hit him first.

Rotting meat, decomposition. Death. One never really forgot that smell after being exposed to it. Jonah felt his heart sink into his gut as he drew the knife from his belt. He turned the corner to the dining area and froze.

Rich sat there, at the table, resting almost peacefully in the wooden chair... if not for the unnatural backward lolling of his head. A ragged bullet hole was visible underneath his chin. The spray of blood on the ceiling and surrounding walls left no mystery as to the trajectory of the bullet. Rich's right arm hung loosely toward the ground, a revolver laying on the hardwood floor beneath.

Jonah teetered, his hand instinctively reaching out to find the cabin wall for support as sank slowly to his knees. No tears came this time. He curled up there on the floor, chest heaving. Minutes passed, more. Finally, he stood on shaky legs, approaching Rich's still form. He'd been dead for at least a day. Resting on the table in front of him were three things: a small Polaroid photo, a handwritten note... and an empty bottle of whiskey. The former featured Rich's ex-wife Maria and their daughter Gabby. It was taken when Gabby was little more than a toddler, her and her mother standing in front of the lion enclosure at the Atlanta Zoo. The note featured only two words, in Rich's distinctive scrawl: I'm sorry

Closing his eyes, Jonah carefully slid the photo into his pocket before leaning down to retrieve the fallen revolver. Popping the cylinder out, he wasn't surprised to see that it had only been loaded with a single round, now spent. Idly, Jonah made his way to the living room and found what he was looking for: the gun cabinet. It was a small thing, wooden-framed with a glass panel, meant largely for decor rather than security. This was irrelevant, however, considering the door had been left wide open.

Like Jonah, Rich had been an avid hunter even as a child and it was a hobby that had followed him well into adulthood. Whitetail, squirrel, black bear, coyote, feral hog, duck, turkey -- they were all fair game and his firearms collection proved it. Jonah didn't hesitate in gathering up the weapons inside: a Ruger 10/22 rifle, Mossberg 12-gauge pump shotgun, and a Ruger .308 bolt-action rifle. It took several trips to place each of the weapons in the back of the truck before filling up one of his duffel bags with the assortment of ammo cartons hidden away in the bottom drawer of the cabinet. Once that was done, Jonah gathered up any food, gasoline, or other supplies he could find in the cabin.

His final task was the hardest. Jonah carried Rich's body outside, covering it with a tarp before grabbing a shovel from the utility shed and digging. Even with the rain having softened up the ground, the mountainous soil was rocky and reluctant to budge. It took nearly an hour. Finally, Jonah lowered the body gently down into the hole before covering it with soil. Having finished his task, unable to tell where the sweat on his body and the rainwater began, he stabbed the shovel into the soil and rested his gloved hands atop the end of the handle, placing his chin on top of them.

"I'm sorry, Rich," he murmured. "I know I wasn't a good brother. I wasn't there for Dad. I wasn't there for Ian," his voice broke as he pushed on, "and I wasn't there for you. Even before all this," he said, sweeping his arm around in an all-encompassing gesture. "And I'll never be able to make that up to you. Not now. I wish I could, more than anything I wish I could. You deserved better, big brother. You all did."

Slowly, Jonah stepped away from the disturbed soil and took a seat on the porch steps, heedless of the rain. He removed Rich's photo from his pocket, looking at the two forms it depicted. He never heard the full story about what had caused his older sibling's marriage to fall through all of a sudden... Rich had only said that it was his own fault. The legal battle had been short but vicious, with Maria winning custody of Gabby and Rich only receiving periodic visitation rights. He had turned to drinking more than usual in the months after, barely able to hold down his job as a foreman at the local gemstone mine.

Jonah briefly considered trying to track down his niece and former sister-in-law but the thought died before it even fully formed. Maria's family lived in Valdosta. Like Brent, they were South, back the way he'd come beyond Atlanta. Out of reach. Just one more way for him to let Rich down. Any thought of staying the day here at the cabin to recuperate also withered on the vine. He knew he wouldn't be able to bear it. Instead, Jonah made his way back to his truck. After siphoning the fuel from Rich's old Bronco with a muttered apology, he left the Polaroid under the rock he'd used as a makeshift headstone. Soon, he was rumbling back down the gravel drive. His family was gone or beyond his reach, which left only one destination: Nashville.

Last edited:
"Well, considering the gas issue, I can take a well off guess that people didn't focus on buying siphons since most aren't knowledgeable of their usefulness." Thinking on what they could say next that makes sense from educated guesses, Jackson continued their idea. "So for now, I'd say to leave your stuff here, lock the car up and hide the suitcases. Then we can make our way back to my place, search the hardware store on the way and hopefully pick a siphon up, go to my place and stock the few supplies I had, then on our way back we'll search for gas cans in people's cars if we were unlucky enough to find one at the hardware. Plus, considering the panic and the mass fucking exodus of the city, I'm gonna play it safe and say people didn't take their time to stock and prep thoughtfully. So hopefully that will mean for us, we'll be better off to find what we need. Or alternatively we can use my car." As Jackson spoke, he did notice some movement from behind Houston, not slow and shambling, but stumbling and fast. It looked as if someone had been injured and fleeing. Seeing this, Jackson muttered a single curse word underneath their breath and took their bow back out. "Houston, we miiiight have a problem...."
Jackstack Jackstack

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back