Opinion Writing a book, where’s best to get the word out?

zizikitty

Crazy Cat Lady
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hello! First of all, thanks for even being curious enough to read this! So to the point, I’m writing a book and I want to start posting stuff about it. My characters, the story, maybe artwork, even character Q&A. I’d love to share my journey and get it out that it’s being written. Even post progress and such.

Eventually my own web page but that’s farther in the future. I was thinking Tumblr as I had great success when I was heavy into the WoW fandom. Posted much art and short fanfics, meeting a lot of awesome folks but I haven’t been on Tumblr in a while. I know a lot of their base left when they (rightfully) cracked down on the explicit stuff.

Is Tumblr still a good site to use to connect to people? Especially for something like this? I haven’t been very active there since I barely play WoW now.

I honestly refuse to use Twitter. I have a Twitter account, from a few years ago, but I stopped using it because despite only following positive Twitter accounts, negative and toxic tweets still appeared on my feed.

Facebook kinda the same thing. Though I avoid FB pretty much at all costs.

I plan to start an Instagram page for it but I’m not sure I can post snippets of writing or Q&A stuff there.

Anyway that’s where I’m at! I’m curious if anyone else has suggestions on social media to use I’d appreciate it! I don’t think I’ll advertise here past maybe putting something in my signature. I’m here for friendships and role play. 🥰

I think Tumblr is a really great site to gain views on your story!

Tiktok actually gains a lot of traction. It’s easy to gain followers since the algorithm really works as your best friend C:

I’ve promoted some stuff and it’s done the best on Tiktok.

I wish you luck!

I think Tumblr is a really great site to gain views on your story!

Tiktok actually gains a lot of traction. It’s easy to gain followers since the algorithm really works as your best friend C:

I’ve promoted some stuff and it’s done the best on Tiktok.

I wish you luck!
Thank you! I made a tumblr page so far. Hadn’t really thought about TikTok but hey I’ll give it a shot.

Thank you! I made a tumblr page so far. Hadn’t really thought about TikTok but hey I’ll give it a shot.
of course! the key with tiktok is to make videos that reach an audience’s interest within 1-3 seconds of watch time. definitely research what’s hot for that category! : D

Congratulations on starting your writer’s journey!

I think Tumblr is a great way to share your thoughts and process about writing your book - like an author’s blog! You can definitely customize it to your hearts content as well.

I’d suggest also spreading the word by posting on Reddit. I think there’s a community for self published writers at r/selfpublish that can be a good resource for connecting with other writers. I’m sure there’s more active communities on there that can be really useful.

You can also network via setting up author’s profiles on Goodreads or LinkedIn. I think having other author’s help and advice is a great help, especially when you’re first starting out. It’s like getting a mentorship from someone who’s already had that experience. You just gotta take the plunge to talk to them first.

And if you do decide to make a Tiktok account, I think posting in Youtube would also increase your visibility.

I wish you the best of luck! :)

Congratulations on starting your writer’s journey!

I think Tumblr is a great way to share your thoughts and process about writing your book - like an author’s blog! You can definitely customize it to your hearts content as well.

I’d suggest also spreading the word by posting on Reddit. I think there’s a community for self published writers at r/selfpublish that can be a good resource for connecting with other writers. I’m sure there’s more active communities on there that can be really useful.

You can also network via setting up author’s profiles on Goodreads or LinkedIn. I think having other author’s help and advice is a great help, especially when you’re first starting out. It’s like getting a mentorship from someone who’s already had that experience. You just gotta take the plunge to talk to them first.

And if you do decide to make a Tiktok account, I think posting in Youtube would also increase your visibility.

I wish you the best of luck! :)
I didn’t even think of Reddit! I guess I hear Reddit and think of silly posts. I’ve honestly never been on Reddit. But I’ll look into that too. Thank you so much!

I didn’t even think of Reddit! I guess I hear Reddit and think of silly posts. I’ve honestly never been on Reddit. But I’ll look into that too. Thank you so much!

He he. I wouldn’t blame you for thinking it’s full of internet memes because there’s a lot on there. But there’s also some great communities on Reddit. It’s usually one of the first places that I would go to for art-related questions so I was sure that there was one for writers too! I’m glad to help! :)

Having multiple platforms is (I feel like, in a professional sense) a must if you want to get the word out about anything, whether that be a project, a business, or a cause. The most popular platforms are Instagram and Twitter, but I guess it also depends on the age range of the audience you're trying to reach.

Having worked on social media for a business, cross-platform posting really is the best way to reach as many people as possible.

Maybe not what you were looking for, but NanoWrimo is at least a helpful site for when writing a novel. They might have tips as well on there, for what sites might be good to use.
Congratulations and good luck on your journey! 😊

Maybe not what you were looking for, but NanoWrimo is at least a helpful site for when writing a novel. They might have tips as well on there, for what sites might be good to use.
Congratulations and good luck on your journey! 😊
I ran across a search thread the other day where the person mentioned NaNoWriMo (they’d be absent for November due to it) and I started thinking I’d give it a go this year. Now your message! I feel like it’s a sign lol!

Thank you for your suggestion! I’ll look into it but on a side note I am gonna give NaNoWriMo a serious go this year. Different story just for the challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back