Other Write It or Role It

smallnscrappy

Oddly enough
Hey guys, I wasn't sure what prefix to put this under! Here we are in the wild world of Other.

As dedicated and creative Role Players, naturally we are each interested in some level of creative writing. I imagine that each of us, at some point or another, has come up with that one special plot or story that could easily be a book. Without wasting my breath in so many words, how do you decide if your story should be a role-play, or if you should sit down and try to put it onto pages for a publisher?

I've had a few stories, worlds, and plots that I have set on the shelf in the hopes of someday writing them into a book. Of course, there are a multitude of reasons that this never happens. "Just Do It" or any other number of motivational slogans and encouragements from other writers often fall on deaf ears. We all struggle with 'what if' and the fear of rejection, and battle against busy schedules, school, family, jobs etc.

Are there any published writers here? What made you bite the bullet and write your book? Have you turned brilliant stories into RPs? Why?

What's up with the tags ammirite? There's some head scratchers in the suggested tags!

Without wasting my breath in so many words, how do you decide if your story should be a role-play, or if you should sit down and try to put it onto pages for a publisher?

If you're serious about getting one or more of your stories published then that should be your priority. The quality of the idea is secondary; the primary consideration is if you're ready and willing to put in the effort required to write a work of fiction.

From what I hear, if you're working on a RP and want to make it into a story, write every day consistently. And build your world and characters yourself, don't rely on an RP to help you flesh things out, it seems so messy and you may change your mind as a writer than as a GM. Writers write like it's a job, you sit down and do it. Even if you don't want to. Make it a habit and a priority. Don't put RPing in front of it. RPing can be a good means to inspire but if you want to publish, you have to take it seriously and give it your all.

As has been mentioned publishing works is a different animal from roleplaying. The main feature of roleplay isn’t the creative writing but the collaboration with other people.

So if say you have stories you want to work on with other people that would be where roleplay comes in.

If however you want to write your own stories for publishing I’d focus on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back