Other Would people rather roleplay a Persona 5 rp or an original persona idea?

Maki

Ten Thousand Club
I've been wanting to make a roleplay based on the persona universe, but I've been having troubles deciding what to do. On one hand I want to make a roleplay based on the world of persona 5, which would be easier, safer, and still as fun. But in the other hand I want to make an original world within the persona universe, which would be harder to make and would have more risks of failure.

Anyways, would persona fans rather roleplay in a persona 5 world or an original world?

Well, personally I'm okay with a new idea as long as the "shadow world" is just as interesting as before. But I do think persona 5 is safer, but it begs the question, how can you do something in the same universe, without retreading ground from the game.
What I mean by that is:
How do you enter the adult's heart without the adult doing the same shitty stuff as in P5? If it's some sort of a reenactment, then that's not too much of a problem, but if you're going for the former then it's a bit tougher to not hit the same notes.
Personally, I would want to do 5, since I haven't been apart a P5 RP yet with multiple people, and I love the themes from the game, but if you can create a compelling world and interesting subject to go with, dont be afraid to try it. I'm always on board with persona though.

It can technically be both: Keep the P5 universe while having a different plot and using the same assets or even adding new ones.

Writing a new Persona would be much better, but it would take a very long time to make sure it works. Deciding on locations, settings, etc...it's a lot to do.

TL,DR: I would stick with the P5 setting, however, you should recreate it so that it has a different setting and works as an RP.

Thank you both for your input!
I've been thinking about it and maybe taking the general setting of P5 (changing a few locations though) and a few other things such as using an app to travel to the shadow world while creating a different story that doesn't follow breaking into people's hearts? Like it'd be the same world just with no metaverse or phantom thieves. Because as stated before, it'd be kinda hard to do a roleplay of P5 without following a similar story and such, unless of course I follow the good ending of the game (which I won't spoil for those who haven't beaten the game). That could lead to some sort of original story with similar heart changing mechanics. Then again, that'd mean that the OG Phantom Thieves would still be in the world, which could cause problems in certain aspects. Ugh

That's a tough one to be honest. Personally, I like trying to make an AU of the Persona universe and borrow elements here and there to keep things fresh. The hardest thing to decide is if the thread's going to be freeform or stick with a narrative to where the actions of the characters affect the overall ending of the thread (just like in any Persona game).

Very minor Persona series spoilers.

The Persona series is based on Jungian psychology concepts, so it's worth looking into those if you want to make your own version. For example, the masks in P5 or the glasses in P4 or the guns in P3 all have very symbolic meanings that relate back to those psychological concepts crafted by Jung.

Also, as far as we know, most (if not all) of the Persona games take place in the same universe/world. I know for sure that 3-5 are all in the same world. The core concepts to remember is that there has to be a tool to bring forth the Person (even if it's super subtle) as well as an alternate world to channel things, even if that is blended into the real world. I'll explain a bit more.

Persona 3's guns: Using it has you metaphorically "kill" who you are and pretend to be to summon your Persona.

Persona 4's glasses and cards: The glasses allow the characters to metaphorically see through the fog of lies and deception made by society. There was also a strong focus on the tarot cards when summoning the Personas. Crushing the card forces the Persona that they hide to manifest.

Persona 5's masks and chains: This is a super literal translation of what a Persona is. It's a mask you put on and present to the world. The chains are the restriction made by society.

Now, look at all three games. The final time P3's protagonist summons a Persona, s/he does not use a gun, for they now have accepted the realities of both their life and death are their true self. The final time P4's protagonist summons a Persona, he tosses aside his glasses for he can now see clearly and is his true self. The final time P5's protagonist summons a Persona, he does not wear a mask and breaks his chains.

The worlds are also all manifestations of aspects of society but are tied directly to our real world.

One idea I recall someone had was similar to P3's: The user has a sword like object that they lunge into their side or however they'd like, and once the sword is released from the body the persona emerges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back