• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy <<<WORLD~WAKE>>>

Saturnity

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ???l?~???? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

In the face of apocalypse, will mankind surpass its flaws, or be destroyed by them?

~Welcome to Four Corners~

View attachment 61547

New Years Eve 2154

It was a cool winter evening in Four Corners, US. The city bustled with parties and parades, as it awaited the new year on baited breath. Little did the citizens know that their lives would soon change forever. As the day passed on into its final hour, earthquakes rocked the city, as massive fissures scarred and mutilated the infrastructure. Entire blocks and skyscrapers became engulfed in the maw of earth that spread along the city's eastern half, millions of residents losing their lives to the violent turn of events. By the time the destruction ceased, Four Corners had been reduced to a third of its size.

New Years Morning 2155

The following morning, as broken families struggled to flee the massacred city, a medical research corporation known as Infinex headed the rescue operations for the resident. Investigative and reconnaissance teams were sent in to determine the cause of the violent uprising of earth, but no solid clues could be found. As the teams began to pull out, however, the next stage of destruction began. At the original Four Corners monument, the epicenter of the previous earthquake, a colossal silver tree shot miles up into the sky, its branches extending in every direction and cloaking the city in shadow.

It would be at the base of this tree where humanity would be forced to face its own extinction.

• View attachment 61674

In the year of 2131, humanity, in its quest for new resources, discovered an infinite form of physical energy. Name Lytenium, or simply "Lyte", the new element would set forth the most disastrous chain of events to occur in the history of mankind's reign over earth. This chain would be spearheaded by a medical research corporation known as Infinex, who used the newly found material in the advancement of medical technology, developing "L-Tech". However, Lyte would inevitable fall into the hands of military suppliers across the globe, initiating the greatest and deadliest arms race ever witnessed among the world superpowers. Entire nations were razed, and hundreds of millions of lives lost to the devestating conflict. By the time a cease fire was acheived, the population in the world had been reduced by one-fifth of its prior total.

L-Tech weapons of mass destruction were eventually dismantled by the United Nations in all countries, unconditionally, and their use and production was outlawed. Only a single force, brought together by the UN as a policing unit, would have access to any Lyte powered equipment. By 2147, the remnants of resistant factions had been eradicated, and humanity began its journey on the rocky road to recovery. The United States and many other nations involved in World War III would eventually enter a state of prosperity and growth, overcoming the scars of war to pave a path of peace.

In 2152, plans for a massive city focused on trade and tourism were initialized in the U.S.. The city would be built around the Four Corners monument linking Colorado, Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico. After its completion, its popularity and size skyrocketed rapidly, and it became one of the largest tourism hotspots in the nation. The prosperity of the city didn't last, however, as tremors rocked its foundations and threatened to tear it apart. Surprisingly, during the last half of 2154, before any severe damage could occur, the tremors ceased, and the city returned to its usual bustling routines.

You are a visitor or resident of the city of Four Corners. The world around you is falling apart as the massive tree rests over the city, an omen of events to come. Where will you go? Will you take the path to save humanity, or ensure i ts destruction?

Your path begins here, at the waking of the world.

City: Four Corners

Four Corners City is large and ring shaped, sitting around the original Four Corners monument resting in the city center. It is composed of four rings, each representing a different district of the city.

• In the center of the city is dedicated to the tourism and vacationing. A majority of small businesses and attractions are located here as well as the Grand Courtyard, a mile diameter circular plaza containing a theme park, town square, the Four Corners monument, and host of other attractions.

Official Map of Four Corners City
FourCornersCityMap2.png

The city map includes all but the outer ring. Each block represents one square mile in area. The individual buildings in each tile represent the types of buildings found on that block. If a player wants their character's home/apartment/hotel on a certain block, post a message with the coordinates of that location in the OOC and I will add it to the point of interest list. I will also be updating the list later on with other important locations and will make maps for those later on.

Points of Interest

• A circular plaza, one mile in diameter, located at the center of the city. Once a bustling center of tourism, the courtyard is now mostly destroyed. A silver tree now rises from the center over the city, and a massive crevasse scars the plaza dividing it between east and west. In a ring around the plaza are an abundance of small shops and attractions for visitors to the city. Cafes, restaurants, and hotels are common.

Last edited by a moderator:
`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ⓞⓡⓛⓓⓐⓚⓔ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´

Chapter 0: From the Maw of the Earth

• DATE: January 1, 2155

TIME: 0837 Mountain Time

SUBJECT: Ground Zero Reconnaissance

MESSAGE FORMAT: Text Data Confirmed

[bEGIN MESSAGE]

Alex, listen to me, Ground Zero is a disaster. I need you to keep the recon team on standby until I can make sense of the situation. I know you're angry I went off on my own, but you and I both know I'm the only one that can navigate through this mess. I'll keep forwarding my findings as I proceed through the inner city ruins, so make sure the team documents everything. My video feeds will be online once I arrive.

[END MESSAGE]

[SIZE=36px][COLOR=#9999ff][B]Arona Blackwell[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Pain... that was all I could feel in my right arm as my eyes fluttered open. Shafts of light carved through the clouds of dust that clogged the air, forming an array of bright yellow spots on the debris around me. Coughing, I propped myself up on my left arm, glancing at my right to make sure it wasn't broken. Above me, but three feet from my body, was a shard of asphalt several meters in length, prepared to end my life upon a tremble. I quickly rolled away and navigated through the concrete and dirt that surrounded me on all sides, attempting to find a way above ground before the fracture of earth became my tomb. Finally, I picked out a stable looking path leading up and into the fresh air, then cleared the dust from my RMCS-20 Digital Wrist Interface, known more commonly as ARMEX. The screen flickered as glowing blue lines traced along the cracks of the shattered glass. My text communications would no longer work, but I'd still be able to utilize the L-Tech.

What a mess... I hope Alex received that last message.

After pressing several of the process buttons, my boots began to click and whir from the energy being activated. Dashing forward, I dug my heels into the ground, activating the Lyte Jump program that I'd coded, which sent a surge of energy from my boots into the dirt below. My body jolted into the air, leaving a streak of blue light in my wake as I leapt from ledge to ledge back to the surface. As I landed, my boots released an ring of residual blue light in all directions, which faded after several seconds. Around me, more buildings had crumbled leaving mounds of cement and metal twisted heaps. Turning around, my vision drifted silently to the center of the square from which I'd arrived. Where once the popular Four Corners landmark had graced the Grand Courtyard, now a giant silver tree had sprouted, lancing into the sky for miles and arching in all directions, as a great hand of the earth to tear down the heavens. Around me, ice blue leaves wafted to rest upon the torn ground, then crumbled to dust.

An unpleasant grimace scarring my features, I marched forward cautiously.

I must get to that tree and figure out what it is... if it's the cause of these earthquakes, it will have to be brought down. One step at a time though.

SCARLETT MAE EMORY

~+~

Waking.

The dust settled all around Scarlett, coating her skin and hair. Clearing her throat, she wearily began moving the heavy pieces of broken rubble from her body. She stood, stamping her boots to get some of the debris off of them. The earthquakes were something that had become a normal annoyance in her life. Pulling her sleeve over her palm, she wiped the dirt off of her camera and began to check it for broken parts worriedly.

Before the latest earthquake, she had risked coming here to look at the tree. It had burst forth from the earth, its great boughs webbing over Four Corners like a protective dome. Scarlett had been drawn to it from the start, the silver patterns calling out to her. It had been her original plan to stop by and photograph the chrome giant. For some reason, she felt sad when and a bit tortured when she looked at the plant. Her whole life, she had grown used to being misunderstood. And this enchanting and gargantuan display seemed to somehow pulse with an air of understanding. Scarlett shook her head quickly, blinking.

That's a tree, Scar. Nothing but a tree. Not something that understands. Snap out of it. It's just this debris in the air getting to me.

Trying to push the strange thoughts out of her head, Scarlett began moving in a slow and smitten gait towards the plant.

Tree or not...it's still beautiful.

Like usual, she had paid little attention to what was going on around her, the tree the only thing in her vision and thoughts. It arched so gracefully into the air, pale leaves fluttering lazily to the earth all around her. It stood magnificently, silently challenging anyone to get closer.

Thump. Thump.

Scarlett froze, hearing the sounds of marching footsteps come closer from the other side of the tree. She paused, her body instantly preparing to run away. Her eyes scanned the area, a giant crevice in the earth behind her. She couldn't turn back. Whoever was coming would end up seeing her run from whatever angle she left from. There was no possible escape without being seen. Scarlett evened out her breathing, realizing she was being both neurotic and paranoid...her flighty tendencies taking over. Whoever those footsteps belonged to, they could be friendly. Not everyone was hostile. She didn't have to be afraid.

She attempted to calm herself, pressing against the side of the tree. The feel and touch of the bark soothed and comforted her, to her slight surprise.

Alright, whoever you are. Let's hope you come in peace.

I woke with a jolt, gasping for air only to double over with a hacking cough. When I could finally breathe normally, I straightened up, squinting past the dirt cloud that was slowly settling around me. What happened? I groaned and clutched my head as it throbbed angrily. I scanned my surroundings again, eyes widening with shock and horror as I took in the devastating aftermath of the earthquake.

"Oh God." Then it hit me like a truck. "Ryouta!" My eyes searched the ground and I caught sight of a jean-clad leg. "Ryouta!" I cried again and frantically started pushing off debris. To my dismay, it wasn't my beloved, but merely a mannequin slightly crushed in the debris. I stood up, still desperately searching for his silhouette.

He could be hurt! I need to find him!

Sighing, I decided that standing around wasn't going to do anything and with wary determination, made my way across the jagged streets and gaping cracks.

When did this get here?

I looked up in wonder at great tree that's boughs seem to devour the sky above me into a patterned sea of silver. "Wow.' I breathed and gingerly, pressed my palm against it's trunk. I gasped and pulled away as I felt it's life pulse beneath my fingers, shuddering with unimaginable strength. For a moment, I forgot why I was here, what I was supposed to be doing but the shriek of metal as a car skidded into a fissure quickly snapped me out of my daydream. "Oh!" I cried and snapped my fingers as a realisation hit my. My phone! I fumbled around in my camera bag, pulling out a small slightly damaged phone. I quickly punched in my boyfriend's number only to frown as a message popped up, 'No service available.' I tried again, and again growing increasingly desperate. Finally I threw my phone back in my bag in frustration. After some thought, I decided to follow the tree, using it's massive trunk as my guide. One hand against it's trunk, I stumbled my away across tree roots, cursing along the way. I continued to survey my surroundings, deep in anxious thoughts.

I've never been in an earthquake this big! The roads, the houses are all completely destroyed. Our house is not that secure. I hope the family's ok. I hope Ryouta ok...

I was too busy worrying to notice the faint sound of breathing, followed by the increasing crunch of debris beneath boots. I looked up by sheer chance and screamed as I came face to face with pair of light eyes and a head full of bright red hair. Stumbling backwards, I managed to trip and ended on my behind. "Ow...." As I rubbed the back of my head, I looked up at the girl, my face breaking in a smile.

"You scared me! What were you doing, hiding there? I hope you weren't purposely trying to give me a scare!"

Blinking, Scarlett tried to register what just occurred. An Asian looking woman had sprung back from her in surprise, falling back onto the rubble. She opened her mouth, unsure what to say. Tucking her magenta hair behind an ear, she politely smiled back at the woman. She couldn't help but grin a bit at her scatterbrained words. Adjusting the fingerless gloves on her hands, she extended an arm out to help the girl get up again. She used her free hand to tighten her camera strap and put it around her neck again. As far as she could tell, no damage had been done. Centering her attention back on the woman, she tried to focus on the task at hand.

"I'm so sorry. I just thought you might be dangerous." Scarlett chuckled slightly nervously. "I didn't mean to startle you. You took quite a fall there. You alright?"

She let her eyes flicker back to the tree for a moment, trying not to get lost in the silvery enchantment of if. Setting her golden gaze back on the girl, she blew a tuft of hair from her forehead as she waited. This woman didn't really seem to be threatening at all. She actually looked to be an innocent bystander, just like Scar herself. She reigned in her questions and thoughts, trying to order her way of thinking.

"The name's Scarlett, by the way."

I gratefully took Scarlett's hand, brushing dust of my back. I gave Scarlett a reassuring smile, waving off her question.

"I'm fine! Don't worry about it!" She chuckled along with Scarlett. "Me? Dangerous? I'm about as dangerous as a pair of bunny slippers. Oh my name is Aya but you can call me Kate. Or just Aya. Whichever!"

Noticeing Scarlett's camera, my eyes widened and sparkled with excitement as I quickly pulled out my own camera. It was a much older generation but I love my camera nonetheless. I have a lot of memories with it.

"You a photographer too? I love photography! Being able to capture beauty and tranquility or the excitement of life in a second and keep that memory forever. It's the best! What do you normally take pictures of? I'm thinking something vibrant? Like you hair? How did you get your hair like that? It's beautiful! I'm too scared to dye my hair such a daring colour. I can only manage this shade of blonde before I start to feel a little self-concious. Of course I was never one for fashion anyways. I mean it's just-"

I stopped mid-sentence, clamping my hand over my mouth. With a giggle, I pulled my hand away and took a step back, giving Scarlett a sheepish grin.

"Sorry! I was just, as you would say, running off my mouth again? I didn't let you get a word in there! I can get kind of excited sometimes, don't be scared. Can I try again? Hiya! I'm Aya/Kate! Are you a photographer?"

Aya's words came out in a fast rush, Scarlett trying to keep up with the girl's quick talking. She felt her eyes widen. She wasn't used to talking so much with people, much preferring to get lost in her daydreams. But this woman seemed to have a lot to say. The word overload made Scarlett's mouth open, but no noise came out. The overwhelmed feeling began to drain away. After a moment, she felt laughter pour from her lips at Aya's fumbling. She knew the feeling.

Despite talking a lot, this woman was very amicable and seemed to be nice. And so Scarlett had no problem with her at all. Although she usually kept to herself, she liked having someone to talk to. She glanced down at her old Nikon DSLR camera, her fingers refastening the lens cap as her laughter slowly subsided.

"Nice to meet you, Aya and/or Kate," she spoke with an easy smile, her tone unhurried and comfortable. "I love photography, but I mainly do freelance work around town. I would love to make it my career, but to pay the bills...I also work at the Falling Leaves Coffee Company."

She ran a hand through her hair with a quick chuckle, fingers tangling in her wavy pinkish locks.

"This hair is the product of two boxes of Magenta Magnus hair dye. I think the blonde looks lovely on you though."

A smile graced her face as she quickly warmed up to the friendly girl. It was strange talking to someone after not having a friend or acquaintance for so long.

"Anyway, I photograph anything I feel has something to say...but doesn't have the words to say them with. That ends up being anything from pedestrians to abandoned buildings. Just beautiful things. What about you?"

I blushed, embarrassed as Scarlett laughed but chuckled with her regardless. I nodded as Scarlett spoke and said,

"Oh! I know that place! I've tried that coffee brand before. It's pretty good. Lot's of aroma and quite flavourful."

Watching Scarlett play with her hair, I felt a pang of jealousy and tugged on my own strand of boring dyed hair. Which was why I was surprised when she complimented me. I gave her a big smile, thanking her. My smile widened as I noticed her smiling back. It was the first time I had seen her smile and it threw me off how pretty she was.

Not that she's not pretty of course she is!

I listened in awe, impressed by how genuine she sounded as she gave me her thoughts on photography. The same words I have read countless of times before on camera websites, or photography clubs. Here, looking at her expression, I knew that she meant what she said, and straightaway, I wanted to be close to her.

"Oh um I'm not as romantic as you are ha ha! Me? Well, I love to capture moments in life. To capture the true joy in the moment, the liveliness of it. I want to show people the wonders of our world, and to tell them to cherish these moments before they're lost from us forever. Also kittens are really cute so I just take hundreds of photos of them and just staple the pictures all over my room. Hah, and I call myself a

professional. Ryouta always tel- Oh! Ryouta!"

All of my lightheartedness vaporised, replaced with a burdening anxiety. What am I doing here! I should be looking for him! I've spent too long talking!

"I'm so sorry, but I have to go! I have to find my boyfriend. He disappeared about an hour ago when this earthquake hit and I can't contact him! I'm really worried he might be hurt so I'm sorry but I have to go!"

All this came out in a babble but I didn't want to waste another second that could be spent searching for him. I turned away to leave.

Scarlett felt a wide grin spread across her face at the mention of kittens. She had an incredible soft spot for the little furry creatures. Who didn't? They were just too precious. She was about to begin speaking about her appreciation for the baby cats when Aya begin looking slightly frantic.

The woman started speaking of her boyfriend that she lost contact with after the latest earthquake. Scarlett felt sympathetic as Aya turned to leave, going to search for Ryouta. A surprising sense of sadness touched Scarlett...she was enjoying talking to someone. Adjusting the shoulder strap on her bag, she called out tentatively before even realizing what she was saying.

"Do you need any help searching for him?"

She didn't have anywhere to be today. The earthquakes were preventing her from visiting her father in the next town over...all she really had planned was work and taking some photographs of the tree. But she decided that all that could wait. Scarlett didn't mind helping someone that could use her assistance. She waited patiently for Aya's reply.

I almost didn't hear Scarlett's offer for help I was so intent on leaving. It stopped me mid-step.

Assistance? I guess I could do with some help since I have no idea where he might've gone. And I could do with a friend. Ok.

"If you wouldn't mind. It really is quite scary out there... But isn't someone looking for you? You're family? Now that I think about why're you alone?"

I only just realised what I had come across. A girl alone hiding in a tree. My brows furrowed and I asked again,

"Why were you hiding? Are you running from someone? Now that I think about, I did hear footsteps earlier..."

Rock. Dirt. Crumbly stuff.

Corvo forced open an eyelid and quickly closed it again as dust got into it. Taking a irritated breath, he opened it again and saw...destruction. He opened his mouth to say something, but only a squeak came out. 'This...ain't real.' Corvo thought, as he struggled to get up. He hoisted his body up with his arms but a leg refused to budge.

Groaning, the ginger turned around to find that part of the roof of Virgo Records collapsed on his leg.

"And all this time, what I've done for this DAMN store!" Corvo yelled, tugging at his trapped leg. "And you trap my goddamn leg! What the honest hell!?"

Giving up, he looked around. He sneezed as some of the dust got into his nostrils and he ran his hand through his hair, removing some of the rubble. Realising that his beanie wasn't on his head, he slightly panicked and decided to look for it after he got out of his predicament.

Corvo twisted his body slightly, wincing in pain because of his leg and faced the front of the store. Or really, what's left of it.

"Anyone out there!? I'm kinda stuck!"

Before I could ask Scarlett anymore, my ears picked up a faint cry. Normally I would've ignored it but after seeing the devastation around me, I wasn't surprised that someone was in a tight spot. I rushed off towards the sound, gesturing for Scarlett to stay where she was.

"Hello? HELLO?"

Something shrieked in reply, and I stiffened. Probably just a wild bird or animal. Despite reassurances, the next time I called out it was a little softer. Looking around, nothing was recognisable anymore and frankly, I was lost.

"Where are you?"

Scarlett blinked, shaking her head. No, she wasn't the type to just stand stagnant while someone was hurting. Adjusting her feet within her boots, she took off running after Aya. Her hair felt heavy on her head while sprinting as she reluctantly left the tree behind.

"Aya! You have to find your boyfriend!"

The Grand Courtyard was massive, and it took them a few good minutes of running to near the edge...where some stores were located. A beat later, she heard the muffled end of a sentence.

"- kinda stuck-"

The sound sputtered weakly from within a collapsed record store. Virgo Records. She knew this place. A couple old records were lying on her bed at home, as well as pictures of the outside of this place. Well, before it was mainly rubble.

Aya looked confused, calling out and sounding slightly panicked. It was a strange situation they were in, the big tree glittering off in the distance. Scarlett touched her arm gently, then gestured towards the records store. She wasn't a strong girl, but she knew how to be agile. Hopping over broken bits and rubble, she squeezed into the broken entrance.

Dust and debris filled the air, still trying to settle. Scarlett coughed, covering her mouth with her hand. She scanned the room, trying to avoid bits of roof that were still crumbling from the ceiling. Stopping, she spotted someone. A man, really noticeable hair. She moved closer, and realized that his leg was trapped beneath a large bit of rubble. Crouching beside him, she ran a hand through her hair.

"Hi. We heard you yelling from like a mile away. Good thing. You look very stuck." Scarlett smiled as she tried in vain to lift the rubble without hurting him.

It was much too heavy for her. She waited for Aya. Together, they should be able to lift it off this disgruntled man. She moved to a crouch as she called out to Aya.

"A little help here, please?"

Scarlett called, then wiped some of the room's dust from her camera. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a knit beanie directly behind the man. She grabbed it and set it in his hand.

"This is probably yours. Anyway, it's too heavy for me to move. But I know someone that can help. Oh. My name's Scarlett, by the way."

She smiled a bit sadly at the man. She realized she was talking a lot and sighed. She always got wrapped up in whatever task sat in front of her, that she didn't leave room for anyone else. This man didn't look so bad. Get that rubble off his leg, make sure nothing fractured...he'd be good as gold. Quieting herself, she waited for him to speak.

"Jamie, your phone has been ringing nonstop for the past 5 minutes or something?" Flustered, she turned around in a spin as someone called her name, almost knocking her coffee mug to the floor. Jamie had been standing in the lunchroom at her work-place, killing time whilst making her morning coffee. "Shoot, sorry, Tyler, I really didn't hear it." She told her co-worker and poured a cup of coffee for him, before rushing back to her desk. She picked up the phone, recognizing the number immediately.

"Jamie, are you alright?!" the voice of her step-mother rung through her ears, and she winced. "I'm at work, mother, what's the fuss about?" As her step-mother told her about the earthquakes happening downtown and how she thought the office had been one of the buildings collapsing, Jamie's face paled. The earthquakes. She hadn't forgotten, but it had been a while since they happened. Was it 6 months ago? She shook her head slightly.

There had been rumbling in the office and their electricity had cut off, throwing everyone into a panic - only to come back a few seconds later. Jamie had shrugged it off as a minor and meaningless earthquake, but as her mother told her about the destruction in the Grand Courtyard, her heart sank. Corvo.

It would probably have sounded creepy, if she had told anyone about her 'stalking'. It wasn't really stalking though. She had been keeping an eye on her baby brother and sister, since she graduated High School, but had never had the courage to actually confront them. How do you just show up to family members long lost and ask them to move in with you again?

"Mom, I gotta go!" She said abruptly, snapping out of her shocked phase. She stood up and put her jacket on. "Tyler, please cover for me, I have to go!" Her co-worker nodded when he saw the serious look on her face. "Gotcha, Jamesy." Jamie ran out the door and towards her destination: Virgo Records. She knew her baby brother worked there now, and she had been there many times, wearing sunglasses and a scarf over her head. Seeing him alright had been enough for her, and she had promised herself, she'd tell him who she was soon. Corvo Cooper, if you're not okay, I swear to God, I will...!

---

Location: On her way to Virgo Records to save her baby bro @VolcanicMagma :3

Help was here quicker than Corvo anticipated. As a girl entered what's left of the front of Virgo Records, he heard her cough and was relieved that someone must've heard his call for help. The girl made his way to him and crouched, talking to him as casually as possible.

Corvo opened his mouth to speak but closed it again as the girl tried to lift up the huge pile of rubble. He winced as the girl was unable to lift it up and slowly propped it down again. She then proceeded to call for someone and wait.

Again, trying to say something to his 'saviour' the girl walk behind him and he blinked. Suddenly he felt something familiar sitting on his hand. Looking at it, a grin formed on his face. The girl was still talking and she finally introduced herself as Scarlett. As much as Corvo wanted to look up at Scarlett, he couldn't or else he'll be in even more pain.

Waiting for Scarlett to quieten down, he finally spoke.

"Name's Corvo. It's nice to see a girl coming to my rescue, ya know? Sorta weird...I mean. Oh and thanks for the beanie, was about to look for it too." He rambled, staring at the dark green beanie on his hand. He was starting tolose circulation on his leg.

I ran along behind Scarlett, not nearly as agile as her but I reached the man regardless. He looked in a pretty bad way, with the bottom of his body mostly trapped underneath rubble. Luckily, it didn't seem as though he was in too much pain but I couldn't be sure. Hopefully nothing's broken. Scarlett was already trying to lift off the debris but it was too heavy for her alone. There was a hole in the ceiling where the chunk must've fallen out.

If we're not careful, the whole thing might come crashing down on us.

"Y-yeah! I'm coming!"

I ran over, noticing Scarlett placing something in the man's hand. A beanie, old and worn-looking. Scarlett was still nattering away but I could tell that she was just trying to distract the man. I smiled at her then turned to the guy.

"Hi Corvo. I'm Aya, but you can call me Kate. Or Aya." I noticed that his face was starting to pale and knew that it was a bad sign. "Ok Scarlett, on the count of three we lift this thing together. One...Two...Three!"

I pushed at the debris, my arms screaming with pain at the heavy weight.

Another girl came running into the store, which Corvo guessed to be the girl that Scarlett called out to.

"Uh, Hey A-" His greeting was interrupted by the sudden pressure lifted off slightly from his leg. He hissed in pain and bit his lip, trying to not sound like a wouss. It was just a trapped leg, not a broken one..right?

Three!

The rubble lifted easily enough from Corvo's leg with the combined efforts of both Aya and Scarlett. She flashed a smile at the other girl and gave a triumphant nod. They moved the debris aside, and she peered a bit closer at his leg. There seemed to be a flesh wound, a deep one. But it didn't look broken or twisted in any way. The sound of a bit of roof clattering to the floor startled Scarlett. They needed to get out of this crumbling store. It was still too unstable.

Scarlett stood and stretched out a hand towards Corvo, in attempt to help him up. With him sufficiently distracted and free of the rubble, she was back to focusing on the task at hand and didn't have too much to say.

"So, we should get out of here sooner rather than later. Corvo, you can lean on Aya and I because of your leg if you can't walk. But the roof is still crumbling."

Corvo let out a massive sigh of relief as the debris was off his leg. He twisted his body around so he could see the faces of Aya and Scarlett. A stretched out hand was offered to him and he shakily took it with his free hand, while the one with the beanie on it went to his head to put it on.

Corvo didn't glance at his leg, thinking that it would've been squashed to a bloody mess. He nodded and leaned on their shoulder, as he slowly hoisted himself upward on his good leg.

"Sh...!" He hissed as he accidentally moved his wounded leg.

Succes! We managed to push off the debris, earning a small wince from Corvo. Luckily, Scarlett closer inspected his leg and stated it wasn't too bad. I peered over her shoulder and tried not to wince. I was never really good with blood. Scarlett and I flinched upon hearing the ceiling crack and fall.

"Up we go!"

I draped Corvo's arm across me shoulder, holding him up so he wouldn't have to put more pressure on his other leg.

"Easy now! Take it slow." I told him as he winced. All three of us hobbled along, struggling at times to get Corvo over more rocky terrain but we eventually made it out of the building. Just in time as well as there was a sudden crash from inside and the ceiling collapsed.

"Phew! That was close! Now, we need to get your leg fixed up. I think I remember there was a pharmacy nearby. There should be supplies there. One of us needs to stay here with Corvo."

Scarlett nodded, helping Aya support his weight. She glanced down at Corvo's leg. Though the bone wasn't looking to be broken, the leg was still pretty mangled. She touched a hand to her chin, and glanced over at Aya.

"Well, we could use some antiseptic, gauze, tweezers, and medical tape. Do you want to go or wait here? The sooner we get this cleaned up, the better. Risk of infection and all."

She spoke analytically, gaze focused on the leg. Looking back up at Corvo, she smiled weakly at him.

"How you holding up?"

Her heart almost stopped at the sight of ruined stores and buildings crumbled. In front of her was Virgo Records, and Jamie felt as if her legs had been paralyzed. She couldn't move, afraid of seeing him, stuck in there and hurt... Or worse. She was panting and sweating from running non stop to the store. In the midst of her paralyzed state, suddenly three figures came out of the dusty store.

Two girls carrying a guy. Her baby brother. He had grown so much. She scanned him quickly, noting he seemed alright apart from his leg. "Corv..." Her voice was hoarse, but her legs finally started working again. "Corvo!" She ran to him and grabbed his shoulders gently. "Are you alright? We need to get you to a hospital!"

Her worry made her speak without thinking, but now it was too late. She was standing in front of them, looking like a psychopath, acting like a mother to a stranger. Her bright red hair shone in the same color as his hair under the beanie. Her eyes dropped down and her hands slipped from him as she took a step back. How could he possibly remember me?

I made a mental list of the ingredients needed, repeating them to Scarlett several times.

"I'll go! You stay here and keep an eye on him, make sure he's ok. I'll see if I can get some food and water along the way as well."

I gently eased Corvo's arm off and nudged him onto Scarlett. I looked around, trying to determine in which direction the place was, finally deciding to go left. I was just about to leave when a woman runs up to us and grabs Corvo's. I shriek in surprise, back-pedalling. She spoke frantically, saying something about a hospital of some sort. She looked older than us by a few years though I couldn't be sure. It was then that I noticed the ressemblance between them, from their flaming red hair to their eyes.

"U-um, Corvo? Do you know this person? Hi! Um sorry miss but who are you?"

Corvo slowly looked up to face the woman that had just randomly ran up to them, yelling his name. Bright red hair, exactly like his and a familiar face that he once saw in his past...no, dream.

He sagged his weight even more on Scarlett's shoulder since Aya was off to look for supplies before the woman shocked her. He opened his mouth and closed it repeatedly. He closed his eyes and tried to focus. 'WHO THE HELL IS THIS WOMAN!? SHE LOOKS LIKE...' He mentally screamed. 'My-my..big sister?'

Opening his eyes now, his breathing calmer though it completely contradicted his state of mind, he replied to the woman.

"I-I...Big sis?" Corvo stammered, propping himself on Scarlett's shoulder. "No. You can't be. She wasn't real."

Shaking his head, he faced Aya, his eyes full of exhaustion and confusion. "I don't think I know 'er. But she knows me and she's right on one thing. I need to get to a hospital..."

@SweetcherryAma @Ashmorne

"I don't think I know 'er." The words hit her harder, than she thought they would. When he called her 'big sis', Jamie's heart had beated a little bit faster, only to sink deep down a few seconds later. "I-I guess you were still too young." She looked at him with a sad smile. "We should talk about this later, you're right, the hospital is the first priority." She took out her cellphone and called for an ambulance, hoping they had one to spare. The earthquakes had made a mess out of the city, and Jamie was sure, the hospitals were filling up pretty fast.

"They don't have any ambulances, unless it's a dire emergency..." She told the others, closing her cellphone. "Does any of you girls have a car?" She asked the two girls standing with her. "Oh, sorry, I completely forgot to explain. I guess it's a bit complicated, but long story short; I'm Jamie Cooper and this is my little brother, Corvo Cooper." She looked at Corvo, gauging his reaction at the truth, she had been trying to tell him all this time.

"It's not a dream, Corvo. I really am your big sister. You have a younger sister too..." She told him, frowning a bit. Was it a good time to tell him everything? It was all coming out now though. Her mind flashed back to when she had met Ashley for the first time in a long time. Her baby sister had been in her office one day with her co-worker after running into some trouble. Jamie had been so ecstatic for the opporturnity to talk to her, and she had just blurted it all out. Needless to say, Ashley hadn't taken it that well and left in a hurry. Jamie had given her her address and phone number just in case though.

She sighed. There was really no way to go about this gently. She just hoped, Corvo would react in a better way.

___

@Yziel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back