Literature World-Building Tips

Voidshard

Magic Eight Ball
Any big boy writers out there who can help me set up guidelines on how to create a unique lore and world-building? I have all the elements needed but the execution is the only thing that isn't one of my greatest strengths.

What specifically are you having trouble with in 'execution'? Do you mean actually writing things down or utilizing the created information in interesting ways?

That was an "or" question XD

Have you heard of World Anvil? Lots of people I know who do heavy world building find it useful for organising all your bits and pieces. It's kind of like making a wikia for your RP setting.

That was an "or" question XD

Have you heard of World Anvil? Lots of people I know who do heavy world building find it useful for organising all your bits and pieces. It's kind of like making a wikia for your RP setting.

No I haven't but I'll check that out

Okay, first off, with worldbuilding, you need to understand some things.

Physics: The most important thing to understand. You have an entire universe in that condensed calcium cup of yours, not just a world. We live in a universe of galaxies, stars, countless. And with all that, comes certain laws, whether or not they are like ours.

Events: A history, detailed timeline of your world. Events that happened leading up to present day. It serves to flesh out not only the world itself by giving it an identity and a past, but also your characters by letting those experiences shape and mold them. I have gone through roughly twenty thousand years of events for my main world, but I know it would be far older. Prehistoric, perhaps?

Ultimately, it has to mirror the real world enough for it to be just that-a world. A collection of characters and societies going through some ups and downs and series of conflicts, out of simple survival and preservation of ideals. You need backstory, and a form of progression to help give context and meaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back