• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Willow Witches and The Faceless - Questions

Foolish Ghoul

Missionary Man
FAQ
Q: Why aren't towns or cities marked on maps?
A: Cartographer's stopped including towns and cities in maps long ago. Once Skin Dancers started possessing Faceless, any map was a sure fire way to send hordes of abominations to the nearest town or city.

Q: Why don't towns or cities have names?
A: As I've said before, names have power in this world. Even if a city or town name does not classify as a true name, there is superstition that exists in this world, and to share the name of a city or town is bad luck. To a lesser extent, the same goes with sharing your own name. Sharing your own name is a sign of trust and good faith.

Q: Any more societal norms I should know about?
A: Obviously both Faceless and Willow Witches wear helms as protection from the Skin Dancers. However, even when in a town or city, you will find people still wear helms. Showing your face to another is equated to a sexual or romantic act, so doing that in public is a big no-no. The only time one takes off their helm in front of a stranger, is when a Willow Witch or Faceless comes into town and is checked for disease or Skin Dancer marks.

Q: If that's the case, are there a bunch of little kids running around with big doofy iron helmets? Do babies where helms!?
A: Though that is a hilarious visual, no. Babies and children wear cloth helms until their thirteenth birthday where they pick their own helm from a selection provided by the local smith. It's a really big deal when this happens, and a ceremony/party called a "Veiling" is held.

Q: If all wanderers are remnants from fallen towns/cities, why don't they just take up residence at the next city/town?
A: Well, it's not infrequent that wanderers never make it that far, but if they do, towns/cities will only permit their stay for twelve days and twelve nights (which, if you remember, is how many cycles it took for Cathael to emerge from the rift). To stay longer is to court Cathael's furry, and doom the denizens of the surrounding area. Honestly, it comes down to superstition again. The idea is that, if your town or city has already been destroyed and you survived, than you no longer belong to civilization, Cathael and all her dancers have claimed you as their own. That being said, when a wandering Faceless or Willowitch visits a town or city, it is generally cause for great celebration, and they are treated well.

Q: What the fuck is up with relics?
A: What the fuck is up with you?

Q: Are Relics conscious entities?
A: I don't know, are they?

Q: What is technology like?
A: Fairly primitive. For the most part, tech is late medieval, but every once in awhile you'll see something a little more sophisticated. It's also said that tech from the age of Gods was pretty great.

Q: How does money work?
A: No money, barter system only. People trade goods for goods.

Q: Are there more Eld Wards and Attack Runes? That list seems small.
A: Maybe. You'll just have to discover that for yourself, now won't you?

Q: Are all humans Faceless? I got the impression that they were at first, but upon seeing that having a Faceless / Willow Witch arrive at a town is a cause for celebration, is the distinction just powers? What's the difference between a Faceless and a regular human that wears a helm?
A: There is none, all humans are Faceless.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have down below!

CS:
https://www.rpnation.com/threads/willow-witches-and-the-faceless-cs.354439/
OOC:
https://www.rpnation.com/threads/willow-witches-and-the-faceless-ooc.354435/

Last edited:
Are all humans Faceless? I got the impression that they were at first, but upon seeing that having a Faceless / Willow Witch arrive at a town is a cause for celebration, is the distinction just powers? What's the difference between a Faceless and a regular human that wears a helm?

Are all humans Faceless? I got the impression that they were at first, but upon seeing that having a Faceless / Willow Witch arrive at a town is a cause for celebration, is the distinction just powers? What's the difference between a Faceless and a regular human that wears a helm?
There is none, all humans are Faceless.

Hey, I have a few questions before I write up my CS. Without further ado...

1- I see some people are writing their CS's with relics included. What are the criteria for this?

2- How do wards of eld work? Do we start out with three (presuming we begin as a willow witch) and build more up, do we start with none/less than three and build up to three, do we start with three and have the option to change those three, or do we start with three and remain at three?

3- What can wards of eld do? For example, the ward of binding?

4- Can willow witches use attack runes automatically (I.e. Part of their 'three') or must they learn or gain them?

5- Can a character start off with a rare helm?

6- How old can a willow witch get?

7- What basic knowledge is a willow witch born with? (I.e. Do they know some basic maths and history, or are they void of any info?)

Hope it's not too much!

Hey, I have a few questions before I write up my CS. Without further ado...

1- I see some people are writing their CS's with relics included. What are the criteria for this?

2- How do wards of eld work? Do we start out with three (presuming we begin as a willow witch) and build more up, do we start with none/less than three and build up to three, do we start with three and have the option to change those three, or do we start with three and remain at three?

3- What can wards of eld do? For example, the ward of binding?

4- Can willow witches use attack runes automatically (I.e. Part of their 'three') or must they learn or gain them?

5- Can a character start off with a rare helm?

6- How old can a willow witch get?

7- What basic knowledge is a willow witch born with? (I.e. Do they know some basic maths and history, or are they void of any info?)

Hope it's not too much!
1- Relics are given after I accept your CS.

2- Start with three wards of Eld and build up more. Pick one attack rune and the same applies.

3- The ability of wards is being left up to the interpretations of the writer. The use of runes and wards should suit how your character operates. For instance; if they're a hunter, perhaps a ward of binding will bind a forests essence temporarily into said Witch's service, aiding them in their search for prey. Alternatively, an alchemist might use binding to help speed reactions by binding molecules and atoms, a Witch Doctor uses it to set bones, another binds bones to a simulacra, creating a "voodoo doll". The possibilities are endless.

4- Attack runes are separate from wards of eld. An attack rune can either be carved into something to give it a one time use of that property, or drawn in the air to activate an immediate effect. For instance, a willow witch can draw a rune of fire in the dirt and tweak the rune to their liking, making it so if a person walks over it, a gout of fire erupts from the ground, or they draw it in the air maybe they extinguish nearby flames.. Again, possibilities only end where your imagination ends.

5- Yes. Your helm choice should fit your character's aesthetic most importantly though.

6- Willow Witches live forever if not slain by an outside force.

7- A Willow Witch has basic adult compression, though their town's specific customs, colloquialisms or superstitions will be foreign to them. They will feel just like a regular person, but with a higher sense of purpose and inhuman strength. Granted, even Willow Witches can become disillusioned or corrupted by the world's current state, causing some to maybe be birthed not so right in the head.

Another question! How does one learn more wards and attack runes? Is it by discovery or study?
Discovery, and then study. One must find the rune, and then gain a level of understanding over the thing that defies mortal comprehension. There are texts that might be found, written by scholars. A single book can be used to explain the intricacies of a single rune, and this helps in speeding up the process of learning said rune. If you want to get better with a Ward, on the other hand, you will simply need to practice using it and come to a higher understanding of it's functionality. All willow witches can write all wards, but specialization gives them opportunity to use it's power outside of writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back