Why so much...Fail?

Yonsisac

Local-super-mega-Potassium-cyborg Ninja!
(I hope i posted this in the right place....its roleplay related)

Ok so...I have been RPing for over CLOSE 2 years now...I have been here one atleast and im dam happy!....do something theas 2 years have been turning me off from RP.ing most of the time,Like unable to imagen or not feeling right all the time :/ ...and has been happening all theas 2 years and that is...well...Failing to always to creat a RP...

I mean i know ya fail here and there but i ALWAYS fail,nomater what i do i always end up failing and i dont know why :/ ,i write details sometimes and even to the point of geting banners made but still nothing,i have been talk alot and some say its my...oh-very-bad-Grammar...but im not sure if its my grammar or i suck at making stories....or both :/ ...i still ask myself WHY i fail...they say its my storie,but some say its not but my grammar...some say its none of both and its how im GM and i get very confused WHAT is making me fail :/

reson why i make this is well....Has anybody like felt something is wrong wille making a RP? like you know wont go well?...I just dont know if its me...and well whanted to know if im the only one here failing like a brick on a cliff.

Nope. I tell my friends to slap me whenever I start talking about making a group. I always end up bombing when I try because I get frustrated with people's petty drama and also I get busy or just plain bored.

In short I am a terrible GM and I try very hard to only do onexones because I do like roleplaying I just suck at managing group dynamics.

As for making roleplays better - maybe look at roleplays that have like several pages - 5 + - and see what they did?

How did they set things up? What kind of stories did they do? That kind of thing.

And if grammar is your issue i'm pretty sure you could ask someone to proof read for you.

Grammar is important but I don't think its EVER the reason why roleplays fail. The biggest hurtle I've found is time managing a roleplay because real life tends to get in the way. My biggest problem is usually having no time to write and holding people back, so when this starts to happen I have to call it quits.

So you have bad grammar? Well, guess what, you can get better. There are tools out there to help improve your writing, at the very least a spell checker should always be use. Grammar is trickier but often the same spell checker will check grammar as well. Most computers have these tools available. Start using them and you will see an improvement in your writing. Not using them is just being lazy. However, bare in mind that the computer is not always right, you must use commonsense - grammar is usually understood by commonsense.

Another way to improve your grammar is to read out loud what you've written. If there is a grammatical error the sentence will not read correctly. Reading out loud is a good way to hear when a collection of words is a logical sentence because it sounds complete.

If English is your second language, or you have a disability, or are just too young to have learned advance writing, its okay to say so. You will find that most roleplayers are understanding of this. At the very least you will warn off the grammar-nazi-police in not joining your roleplays.

Having doubt about your writing skills is normal. Use it to improve and learn from the mistakes you make. Writing, telling stories, anyone can do it. You just have to keep doing it and with time you will get better at it.

Yea i have ran in to the Grammar Nazi Police and have been kick out a cuple of times because of it,But wen i think about it it might be my grammar seeing sometimes i type to fast and with my bad grammar make it worse and hard to Understand :/

I try my best to get better as its not my main launghage,i can speak it like a pro but NOT write it :/ do might be my way of GM i dont know but still....atleast i have a idea

thanks you two really help me,i thinki shoold practice more english honestly on WRITTING seeing how i confuse some spanish words with english xD

Yonsisac said:
Yea i have ran in to the Grammar Nazi Police and have been kick out a cuple of times because of it,But wen i think about it it might be my grammar seeing sometimes i type to fast and with my bad grammar make it worse and hard to Understand :/
I try my best to get better as its not my main launghage,i can speak it like a pro but NOT write it :/ do might be my way of GM i dont know but still....atleast i have a idea

thanks you two really help me,i thinki shoold practice more english honestly on WRITTING seeing how i confuse some spanish words with english xD
I too am Spanish so it is possible for you to master the language with practice. You should start by correcting misspelled words in your sentences. When you see a red-underline below a word it means you spelled that word incorrectly. If you don't correct it and just post it, well, that tells the reader (in this case other players) that you just don't care about proper grammar, and that puts people off. I noticed ten misspelled words in your post, that is nine too many. You know the edit button is there for a reason, don't be afraid to use it.

If you need a roleplay partner I would be happy to RP with you and possibly help you figure a few things out. I also can write in Spanish, but then you would need to correct me because I don't know when to properly use accents.

Um....*sees EVERY word with a red line*....every...single word i write has a red line under it xD because have it in spanish and well writing english things EVERYTHING is wrong lol.....yea i will change that..and i use the edit Button when i see something wrong but still end up with errors

Thanks dint know ya knew spanish eather so would be very helpfull seeing english is not my main...so help will do i wont hesitate to ask eather ^^

Capitalize the first letter of each sentence.

Capitalize the letter of each name.

Use periods.

Don't go ........

Use question marks when asking a question.

Do these things and your post will 100 times better. As for why rp's fail? I have the will to construct a world for others as a gm or helper, but often times it becomes stressful and it feels like I'm writing a script rather than running the world itself.

You should stick to practicing your English and being in casual rp's to begin with and as you get comfortable, move toward being a game master later.

Thanks i kinda knew it was my grammar and now well i have been learning more....do still in Progress xD But thank you i knew this community would be so nice to lend me a hand!

Let me tell you one of the greatest pieces of advice I've ever been told.

You don't learn from success.

I can't tell you how many roleplays I've had fail. Just this past year I actually had one roleplay that I put a solid 3 weeks of effort into that I shut down because I didn't like the way things were going. It's just apart of the business, if I gave up for every failed roleplay I had...well I would have stopped years ago then. The best thing to do with those roleplays is to look back at them and ask yourself 'Okay, why did this fail? What can I do better?'. Please don't give up because of just a few failed roleplays, you'll get it as a GM. Roleplaying is like a muscle, the more you do it the stronger you get at it.

As for what everyone else has been saying I do agree. Grammar is somewhat important. I'm very sure you don't suck at making stories, you may be inexperienced, but no one sucks at making stories. Grammar for a lot of people is important because it just makes things look nice and look understandable so it's easier to read. Believe it or not a mis-space between two words or an improper comma can slow down your reading rate a lot. I'm not going to go too much into the specifics because Bacon went into the specifics a lot, but I'll point out a few things.

Grammar doesn't have to be perfect, just 'fine' as I call it. Fine grammar has its flaws but it's still able to be read quickly. Just focus on the commas, periods, and proper spacing and everything else should go from there. If you have trouble with it, I thoroughly recommend typing up all your post in a word document, then copying/pasting them in. The word document will read your words and grammar and make adjustments to help you out!

Overall though, please don't give up. I'm sure you're great at making stories and that those last two roleplays were just flukes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gilzar said:
Let me tell you one of the greatest pieces of advice I've ever been told.
You don't learn from success.

I can't tell you how many roleplays I've had fail. Just this past year I actually had one roleplay that I put a solid 3 weeks of effort into that I shut down because I didn't like the way things were going. It's just apart of the business, if I gave up for every failed roleplay I had...well I would have stopped years ago then. The best thing to do with those roleplays is to look back at them and ask yourself 'Okay, why did this fail? What can I do better?'. Please don't give up because of just a few failed roleplays, you'll get it as a GM. Roleplaying is like a muscle, the more you do it the stronger you get at it.

As for what everyone else has been saying I do agree. Grammar is somewhat important. I'm very sure you don't suck at making stories, you may be inexperienced, but no one sucks at making stories. Grammar for a lot of people is important because it just makes things look nice and look understandable so it's easier to read. Believe it or not a mis-space between two words or an improper comma can slow down your reading rate a lot. I'm not going to go too much into the specifics because Bacon went into the specifics a lot, but I'll point out a few things.

Grammar doesn't have to be perfect, just 'fine' as I call it. Fine grammar has its flaws but it's still able to be read quickly. Just focus on the commas, periods, and proper spacing and everything else should go from there. If you have trouble with it, I thoroughly recommend typing up all your post in a word document, then copying/pasting them in. The word document will read your words and grammar and make adjustments to help you out!

Overall though, please don't give up. I'm sure you're great at making stories and that those last two roleplays were just flukes.
Thank you this helps alot,I think it IS my grammar...as well i have been geting lot of Help in the pass days and well i do enjoy the help but still i think im geting to much :/

anyway out of topic there...but thank you i will Improve my writting and see how i will do nest time i do a RP...dont think wont be near but i Hope once i do it will atleast be so,e kinde of succes

There are a lot of small things that can make differences such as spelling, grammar, general formatting, and of course advertising; your RP has to look appealing, people will often overlook a bland-appearing one, no matter how good it is. Unfortunately, I would say that some of it boils down to simply what genre it is. There are certain genres and general ideas that are much more popular not only on this site but everywhere else that can often have at least some effect on it. This is by no means the reason RPs always fail, and it also definitely doesn't mean that unique ideas can't work (Lord knows we need more of them) but in general, those ideas aren't the ones you see blowing up in 12 hours and becoming the biggest things on the net. It's simply a sad truth. One last thing: a lot of it may be networking, I assume often times doing lots of roleplay and having a network of people can help your RP sway one way or the other, especially for getting enough people.

Well being a roleplayer for 3 years, on and off, as well as not having any real experience GMing, I'm not sure if any of this would be helpful, but I decided to put this just in case.

Hmm, I guess grammar can be one of the reasons why I do not join role plays. If you need any tips that are not mentioned, instead of putting, "....." use commas, and capitalize "i" to I. Other tips is to read your post out loud, if there is anything that does not flow, or sounds off, there is probably a problem somewhere.

However, there are others who don't mind grammar issues. For any problems with stories, you should put a general main goal for what the characters to strive for. Goals such as being the greatest pokemon master, the hokage, being the best, etc. With some sort of goal it will give other players an idea of what their character to strive for, as well as give them flexibility to think of their own ideas, and incorporate them without going off a tangent.

Then onto the ultimate reason, or what I think it is, as to why role plays tend to fail is communication, and dedication among the GM and players. Truthfully I'd hate to see a nonexistent OOC chat. However I find that using the OOC is not the best, rather I find making conversations better, and have others communicate and have a better understanding of each other, create friendships, talk about random things, as well as things about the rp where they feel more comfortable sharing ideas, and coming up with their plots together. Create strong bonds that won't break easily. Your goal, catch them in your trap, and make it so they've become too attached to the rp, group, other players, and possibly even you so they won't leave. It also makes things feel more as a group, as I've seen in some group rps, players are split with some players only interacting with certain characters, and not anyone else, as well as a loner. During situations such as these, a GM should create a situation which forces everyone to work together so no one gets left alone. Also when the rp becomes stagnant, introduce a new and interesting event to players to keep it moving.

Though, truthfully it also depends on the compatibility with the GM and other players as we might all be in different time zones, have different schedules, and our posting pace are all different. For me, I am particularly quite slow in replying. So with others who reply fast, it makes it hard for me to catch up. Which is one of the reason why I tend to leave because I think I'll just slow the rp or get left behind. You'll need to find others who you are able to click with and have a pace which you can do. Or find a consensus with posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back