Other Why do you believe what you believe?

Zombocalypse

Quintessential Badboy
Why do you believe what you believe?

I've made a few threads in here regarding religious beliefs and atheism. This will just be one of them...

This time, I want to know why you believe what you believe. I'll start...

I'm a Christian simply because my heart draws me to Christianity. I haven't done much thinking lately. All I really do is listen to my heart. And my heart says that Jesus Christ is the way.

What about you? Why do you believe what you believe?

My heart tells me god isn't real and worshiping myself and taking notes from luciferianism and levayan satanism is where it's at. I have, however, done a lot of thinking about it because I take my beliefs seriously- religious or not.

I was genuinely Christian the first ~14 or so years of my life and started seriously questioning it after that. It began with getting my own private laptop, using the internet how I please without every move I made on it being monitored. Literally, my parents would track everything we did online. With free reign I could read about anything I wanted and talk to anyone I wanted. The internet is much more diverse than the extremely small circle of people I'd been exposed to which consisted of children at school, people at church, and my family- and the members from both sides are almost completely religious. Reading about other people's lives and worldviews made me start doubting the condemnation of lots of things I'd considered disgusting or sinful. Specifically, being gay or trans. Eventually after reading about their lives and feelings the dehumanization I'd been taught to subconsciously and consciously do my whole life was waning. I couldn't condemn them any longer. My morals vs my religions morals were no longer congruent, and I started questioning everything else we were told.

I've also never personally experienced "god." Everyone would always talk about god speaking to them, or sending messages. My entire life I was stuck wondering what exactly they meant and why god wouldn't communicate with me. After a certain sermon I'd realized the pastor was mistaking his conscience for the holy spirit. He'd talked about how he was about to do something morally wrong, and felt a "tapping on his shoulder" that told him "hey! don't do that, that's bad." From then on I'd paid attention to what people would describe as god, and oftentimes god was aspects of their own mind, needs, or wants.

I'd heard from a high school acquaintance and my older brother that conservative/traditional Christianity resulted in higher rates of mental illness. I was doubtful, but I did research and read about the experiences of apostates. I didn't think the christianity I knew was sustainable, and I had my own problems that resulted directly from it as well.

At some point I'd also read (in passing) about the history of the bible itself and how much of it has been destroyed or changed. The bible today is not the same one as hundreds of years ago, which "the bible is infallible and unchanged and god has made sure to keep its word truth the whole time it has existed" was a big point of faith for our church and probably many others that take a literal interpretation. If the bible is not true or parts could be challenged, the whole faith would be based on uncertain ground.

All this came to a point where I could no longer believe that what I was being taught was factually true, or healthy. Being told you're a worthless sinner without god among other things lead to me not being able to morally agree with this brand of christianity either.

Through a friend I became interested in levayan satanism, and through that I learned about luciferianism. I've read as much as I can from the church of satan because it was interesting, although I can't get my hands on their satanic bible until I move out and I would never claim to be a part of a religion if I haven't read the main texts and then be able to decide whether or not I agree with the philosophy and care enough to attempt to follow it. I am not a Luciferian either, as they are theistic, although I really do admire the general moral code they upkeep, and I take notes from both religions. I also consider myself an atheist and a nihilist. I haven't done a ton of research on other religions yet but it's something I mean to get around to, because I think it's good to learn about them and there's things I might be able to learn from them as well.

Last edited:
I used to be Christian a loooooong time ago. I played an angel every year in the Christmas plays and I went to church on Sundays. Once I discovered the internet though, I think that's when it all went downhill. I started thinking about life, how we were brought into this world, and how easily we can be taken out of it. I thought about how before we were even conceived, we just didn't exist. I believe that is what happens after death. I believe you just stop existing, and everything goes back to the way it was before you were even conceived. That's why it's so scary to me, because the fact that one day I just won't exist anymore, is kind of terrifying. I also was thinking about God, and how everyone says He protects them, cherishes them, makes sure their prayers are heard. But if that was the case, this world would be a much better place. But it isn't. I believe I'm more on the Agnostic side. If I just had evidence, something that tells me for sure that God is real, and we all go to Heaven, then I would believe in God. But without anything that confirms that, I just can't make myself believe in it.

I used to be Christian but that changed after I read the Bible and started thinking about life, death, belief, and science.

I believe in what I see and what I see is the observable universe and no paranormal entities like God. If God exists, he is far from what religion portrays him to be.

Used to be Lutheran. But then I started questioning everything and researching everything. Once I had the internet it was all over by the age of 12.
I got a logic textbook and started reading it. Got a pocket guide of logical fallacies then went to town on the Bible, Quran, Toran.
The only religion i remotely follow is Buddhism. And I only follow riencarnation and karma in that sense.

My heart tells me god isn't real and worshiping myself and taking notes from luciferianism is where it's at. I have, however, done a lot of thinking about it because I take my beliefs seriously- religious or not.

I was genuinely Christian the first ~14 or so years of my life and started seriously questioning it after that. It began with getting my own private laptop, using the internet how I please without every move I made on it being monitored. Literally, my parents would track everything we did online. With free reign I could read about anything I wanted and talk to anyone I wanted. The internet is much more diverse than the extremely small circle of people I'd been exposed to which consisted of children at school, people at church, and my family- and the members from both sides are almost completely religious. Reading about other people's lives and worldviews made me start doubting the condemnation of lots of things I'd considered disgusting or sinful. Specifically, being gay or trans. Eventually after reading about their lives and feelings the dehumanization I'd been taught to subconsciously and consciously do my whole life was waning. I couldn't condemn them any longer. My morals vs my religions morals were no longer congruent, and I started questioning everything else we were told.

I've also never personally experienced "god." Everyone would always talk about god speaking to them, or sending messages. My entire life I was stuck wondering what exactly they meant and why god wouldn't communicate with me. After a certain sermon I'd realized the pastor was mistaking his conscience for the holy spirit. He'd talked about how he was about to do something morally wrong, and felt a "tapping on his shoulder" that told him "hey! don't do that, that's bad." From then on I'd paid attention to what people would describe as god, and oftentimes god was aspects of their own mind, needs, or wants.

I'd heard from a high school acquaintance and my older brother that conservative/traditional Christianity resulted in higher rates of mental illness. I was doubtful, but I did research and read about the experiences of apostates. I didn't think the christianity I knew was sustainable, and I had my own problems that resulted directly from it as well.

At some point I'd also read (in passing) about the history of the bible itself and how much of it has been destroyed or changed. The bible today is not the same one as hundreds of years ago, which "the bible is infallible and unchanged and god has made sure to keep its word truth the whole time it has existed" was a big point of faith for our church and probably many others that take a literal interpretation. If the bible is not true or parts could be challenged, the whole faith would be based on uncertain ground.

All this came to a point where I could no longer believe that what I was being taught was factually true, or healthy. Being told you're a worthless sinner without god among other things lead to me not being able to morally agree with this brand of christianity either.

Through a friend I became interested in levayan satanism, and through that I learned about luciferianism. I've read as much as I can from the church of satan because it was interesting, although I can't get my hands on their satanic bible until I move out and I would never claim to be a part of a religion if I haven't read the main texts and then be able to decide whether or not I agree with the philosophy and care enough to attempt to follow it. I am not a Luciferian either, as they are theistic, although I really do admire the general moral code they upkeep, and I take notes from both religions. I also consider myself an atheist and a nihilist. I haven't done a ton of research on other religions yet but it's something I mean to get around to, because I think it's good to learn about them and there's things I might be able to learn from them as well.

This is a great post. Thanks.

What exactly is the Luciferian moral code? What are they?

I used to be Christian a loooooong time ago. I played an angel every year in the Christmas plays and I went to church on Sundays. Once I discovered the internet though, I think that's when it all went downhill. I started thinking about life, how we were brought into this world, and how easily we can be taken out of it. I thought about how before we were even conceived, we just didn't exist. I believe that is what happens after death. I believe you just stop existing, and everything goes back to the way it was before you were even conceived. That's why it's so scary to me, because the fact that one day I just won't exist anymore, is kind of terrifying. I also was thinking about God, and how everyone says He protects them, cherishes them, makes sure their prayers are heard. But if that was the case, this world would be a much better place. But it isn't. I believe I'm more on the Agnostic side. If I just had evidence, something that tells me for sure that God is real, and we all go to Heaven, then I would believe in God. But without anything that confirms that, I just can't make myself believe in it.

I know what you're saying. The idea of ceasing to exist terrifies me as well.

I used to be Christian but that changed after I read the Bible and started thinking about life, death, belief, and science.

I believe in what I see and what I see is the observable universe and no paranormal entities like God. If God exists, he is far from what religion portrays him to be.

So you're an agnostic, then? What do you label yourself as?

Used to be Lutheran. But then I started questioning everything and researching everything. Once I had the internet it was all over by the age of 12.
I got a logic textbook and started reading it. Got a pocket guide of logical fallacies then went to town on the Bible, Quran, Toran.
The only religion i remotely follow is Buddhism. And I only follow riencarnation and karma in that sense.

What is it that made you follow Buddhism?

So you're an agnostic, then? What do you label yourself as?
I suppose I am an open-minded Agnostic-Atheist.

Ergo: I don't believe in any God and highly doubt that any supernatural powers of that nature exist, but, assuming someone presented me with concrete proof of the existence of any given deity or paranormal entity; I would believe in it (Since I was given evidence).

I suppose I am an open-minded Agnostic-Atheist.

Ergo: I don't believe in any God and highly doubt that any supernatural powers of that nature exist, but, assuming someone presented me with concrete proof of the existence of any given deity or paranormal entity; I would believe in it (Since I was given evidence).

Have you researched about God's existence yet? The greatest argument for His existence, in my opinion, is Thomas Aquinas's cosmological argument.

Have you researched about God's existence yet? The greatest argument for His existence, in my opinion, is Thomas Aquinas's cosmological argument.
Trust me, when I tell you that I've seen everything, if not almost everything that could prove and disprove God's existence. When I was around 10, I realized what death was and started becoming paranoid. I would wake up at night with cold sweat all over my body and slowly dull myself to sleep with reassuring thoughts. Eventually, when I was a little older, I started doing research on the topic, desperately wanting to know if Heaven and Hell were real, and what were my chances at having a shot with them both. To be frank, I was just scared of not existing, like a few people above said, but eventually I concluded with the only logical answer.

To be frank, I'd like to believe there is a God, but belief is a system of thinking based mostly on the absence of evidence, which absolutely goes against everything I stand for, and my brain wouldn't let me tell myself sweet lies without having evidence for them.

Trust me, when I tell you that I've seen everything, if not almost everything that could prove and disprove God's existence. When I was around 10, I realized what death was and started becoming paranoid. I would wake up at night with cold sweat all over my body and slowly dull myself to sleep with reassuring thoughts. Eventually, when I was a little older, I started doing research on the topic, desperately wanting to know if Heaven and Hell were real, and what were my chances at having a shot with them both. To be frank, I was just scared of not existing, like a few people above said, but eventually I concluded with the only logical answer.

To be frank, I'd like to believe there is a God, but belief is a system of thinking based mostly on the absence of evidence, which absolutely goes against everything I stand for, and my brain wouldn't let me tell myself sweet lies without having evidence for them.

I understand.

After all, religion and philosophy are not the same. Religion relies on faith while philosophy relies on thinking.

Me, personally, I prefer to believe for a lot of reasons. One of the many reasons is that religion gives my life a purpose. It answers a lot of questions that I have in a way that makes sense to me. It feels as if religion (Christianity) is a big puzzle piece that fits in a large space in the puzzle that is my life.

What is it that made you follow Buddhism?
It was more of a philosophy than a religion. It had no real superfical moral code (besides common sense) or controdictions. It's simple to follow and doesn't affect my every day life in a sense of 'i could believe this, but my religion disapproves'.

I believe in moisture because we're all moisto n the inside and that's what counts.
Unless you're dead. Then you're dry and can get the fuck out of my face.

This is a great post. Thanks.

What exactly is the Luciferian moral code? What are they?

just gonna copy paste if you don't mind

They support the protection of the natural world. Both the arts and sciences are crucial to human development, and thus both are cherished. Luciferians think that humans should be focused on this life and how to make the most of it every single day. The ability to recognize both good and evil, to accept that all actions have consequences, both positive and negative, and to actively influence one's environment, is a key factor.

For Luciferians, enlightenment is the ultimate goal. The basic Luciferian principles highlight truth and freedom of will, worshipping the inner self and one's ultimate potential. Traditional dogma is shunned as a basis for morality on the grounds that humans should not need deities or fear of eternal punishment to distinguish right from wrong and to do good. All ideas should be tested before being accepted, and even then one should remain skeptical because knowledge and understanding are fluid. Regardless of whether Lucifer is conceived of as a deity or as a mere archetype, he is a representation of ultimate knowledge and exploration: humanity's savior and a champion for continuing personal growth.

They revere lucifer as the "morning star-" a light-bringer, teacher, etc. and he is not the classic lucifer/satan from the christian bible. Some people worship him as a metaphor/archetype and some as a literal deity that exists.

In levayan sataism, satan is a symbol of yourself and rebellion from traditional dogma. Instead of worshiping an external god, you worship yourself, and taking responsibility for your life and actions is very important.

just gonna copy paste if you don't mind

They support the protection of the natural world. Both the arts and sciences are crucial to human development, and thus both are cherished. Luciferians think that humans should be focused on this life and how to make the most of it every single day. The ability to recognize both good and evil, to accept that all actions have consequences, both positive and negative, and to actively influence one's environment, is a key factor.

For Luciferians, enlightenment is the ultimate goal. The basic Luciferian principles highlight truth and freedom of will, worshipping the inner self and one's ultimate potential. Traditional dogma is shunned as a basis for morality on the grounds that humans should not need deities or fear of eternal punishment to distinguish right from wrong and to do good. All ideas should be tested before being accepted, and even then one should remain skeptical because knowledge and understanding are fluid. Regardless of whether Lucifer is conceived of as a deity or as a mere archetype, he is a representation of ultimate knowledge and exploration: humanity's savior and a champion for continuing personal growth.

They revere lucifer as the "morning star-" a light-bringer, teacher, etc. and he is not the classic lucifer/satan from the christian bible. Some people worship him as a metaphor/archetype and some as a literal deity that exists.

In levayan sataism, satan is a symbol of yourself and rebellion from traditional dogma. Instead of worshiping an external god, you worship yourself, and taking responsibility for your life and actions is very important.

It sounds cool.

The only problem I have with it is the idea of worshiping yourself. That seems a little arrogant to me. lol

It was more of a philosophy than a religion. It had no real superfical moral code (besides common sense) or controdictions. It's simple to follow and doesn't affect my every day life in a sense of 'i could believe this, but my religion disapproves'.

I'm kind of familiar with it. Do you follow the "Middle Way" or something?

I like the idea. The Buddha was known to have experienced both austerity and luxury. He figured out that between the extremes of the two was a Middle Way, something balanced. A life lived with moderate discipline and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back