Video Games Which is your favorite Pokemon generation?

Nihilum

HONEEEEYY? WHERE'S MY SUPER SUIT?!
...and why is it Generation 5?

Bonus points for sharing your favorite soundtrack from that generation. I sadly inform you that all other answers than Battle! Neo Team Plasma are wrong, however.

Generation 1 because that's where I started.

Gen 3 because it has two of the hunkiest dinosaurs I've ever seen. Aggron and Groudon.

And the answer is obvious.

Everybody's gangsta 'till the blondie pulls out a landshark.

...and why is it Generation 5?

Bonus points for sharing your favorite soundtrack from that generation. I sadly inform you that all other answers than Battle! Neo Team Plasma are wrong, however.
Well... It seems like you took the words right out of my mouth.

From... worst to best..

Silver/Gold: Gen 2 I just don't like. It fixed some of the bugs from Gen 1, added some types to balance psychic [and just balanced psychic type] but.... like... the entire level scaling in it is just freaking terrible. Like, yes, it added in Kanto and the Gen 1 stuff, but they added it in at a hilariously lower level then it should have been and gave zero thoughts to the level scaling after Johto. You could completely remove the Kanto add-on and the game would probably be better off for it. Wouldn't have this like stomping of the gyms that aren't a challenge in Kanto, to this random level jump at the Elite 4 rechallenge which requires you to slowly grind up [because beating the hilariously underleveled kanto region isn't going to help] just to have to grind again later for Mt. Silver... It's like parts of the game were made and then handed off to a Korean MMO company for a few seconds who bungled the level and grinding and then handed back. Starters are good tho as are the legends.

Red/Blue: Gen 1 is where I started my pokemon... life? Career? Interest? Anyways, I find people are either Gen 1 kids or Gen 3 kids, I am Gen 1. So many bugs, a lot of poorly balanced types [Hey, Psychic!].. But it's the first game. All the other games built off the foundation that Gen 1 laid out. It's a great game, on it's own, but it's later Gens just built off it better.

X/Y: Okay, X/Y was freaking weird. It just did not click with me. I'm not sure if it was the art direction or the 3D or what they were trying to do, but I just could care less about X/Y however! I do love the addition of Fairy Types, it was a much needed nerf to Dragons and gave a buff to Poison types in a like.. sideways upgrade. Mega evolution was a huge yes, and is a huge yes, for me. It was a brilliant way to give lesser loved pokemon who weren't the best, or who had fallen behind the power creep, a way to come back and shine like Lopunny and Beedrill. Mega evo was what they should have kept. Not try to do a 'gimmick of the generation' crap with dynamax and z-moves. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire would be much higher in the list, but doing generations, not games.

Ruby/Sapphire: I wasn't a Gen 3 kid. I was never a gen 3 kid. I don't like the starters, the only one I am lukewarm to is Mudkip [I outright find Blaziken fugly]. Gen 3 still had the issues of moves being dictated by their type, special split hadn't happened... But it kinda almost perfected what Gen 1 and 2 had built. Almost. The actual world left a lot to be desired. That said, if I was placing individual games, I'd put LeafGreen and FireRed higher on the list then Ruby and Sapphire.

Sun/Moon: Okay, Sun and Moon is weird. Z-Moves aren't bad, but I am so mad they abandoned mega forms for it. Z-Moves being better then Dynamax though. It added a lot of fun pokemon, I really enjoyed the world they built, I liked the atmosphere.... The problem with Sun and Moon, for me, was the story. Bruh, it's a Pokemon game. Let me play pokemon. Don't stop me every five feet for a ten minute cutscene, like good god in heaven. They tried to make it too story based and it kinda killed the replay value it had. Regional forms was a great idea though so huge points for that. Team Skull is my favorite team though, fite me nerds.

Sword/Shield: .. I'm still kinda not sure how I feel about Sword/Shield. It may be below Ruby and Sapphire or it may be here. Hard for me to really say. I like some of what they did, I like the more three dimensional angle they took, I like the wild area and the concept behind it... but on the other hand, the game felt so short, some of it felt outright lazy... like they just had given up and knew fans would buy whatever they shoveled out... I'm still annoyed that they didn't make Leon a twist villain instead of the super obvious megacorp guy. Dude was just a worse version of Sun/Moon and Diamond/Pearl villain.

Black/White: Black and White was great. Black and White 2 was a step backwards, but still great. Black and White would be my favorite.... if Gamefreak didn't punk out of the question they were raising of 'Is it okay to make pokemon fight?'. Instead of facing that, tackling it head on, they punked out and gave us a crap 'secret baddie BEHIND IT ALL THE WHOLE TIME! OMGGGGG GUYS!'. You could literally feel when the suits looked at what the creative team were doing and were like... Nah, nah, you need to change that. Could have been perfect. Stumbled before getting there.

Diamond/Pearl: Gen IV baby. It took when Gen 1, 2 and 3 had done and perfected it. Special split, the dawn of me Dragon Dancing Gyarados up and down Cynthia's face [Also around the time I started to learn how to actually play pokemon and realized how good set-ups were, so go figure]. Gen IV, to me, is the perfect pokemon game. It doesn't take itself, or the story, seriously, it's mostly in the back. The level scaling is good. The music is good. The team is decent. The legends are nifty. The Elite 4 are great, the champion is an Icon among longtime pokemon players.

Diamond and Pearl just... knew what it was doing.

As for the bonus, my favorite pokemon battle song is the Gym Leader Battle song from Pokemon Sword & Shield. Yeah, I said it. Fite me nerds. I adore the drop, the bass in the background to the build up of the fans in the background, it's the only pokemon fight song I would actually sway along to and stop to listen to.

Last edited:
Generation V is my favorite since I really enjoyed everything about it. Great characters, great storyline, great region (Unova being based on my home state!), and I love the focus on new Pokemon. it was also a major turning point in the Pokemon franchise - Pokemon started making non-Japanese regions and Game Freak started to acknowledge the adult fanbase by reworking the marketing to multiple demographics.

Here are my opinions on the other regions, ranked from best to worst.

- Gen VII. Alola had an amazing cast of characters, plus I loved the Ultra Beasts. The only major drawback was the cutscenes can get a little boring.
- Gen III. I'm still very nostalgic over Ruby and Sapphire. Sapphire was the first game where I was able to really pay attention to the mechanics. FRLG and Emerald were good too.
- Gen VIII. Sword and Shield get too much hate. However, I did feel that Galar was a bit too small and didn't have enough cities. I did like the Wild Area, though. On the other hand, the DLC is amazing, and it makes the game much more enjoyable.
- Gen IV. Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum was pretty fun, and so were HeartGold and SoulSilver. I also liked the large number of Legendaries. However, and too many Pokemon were new evolutions of old Pokemon instead of completely new Pokemon. I also hated how saving the game sometimes took a long time.
- Gen VI. X and Y weren't terrible, but they were surprisingly lacking in a lot of stuff, including massively underdeveloped characters. On the other hand, ORAS was amazing, though.
- Gen II. GSC were fun. Crystal, though, was the first major change in the franchise, since it was the first to let you play as a girl and it had Legendaries well-integrated into the plot. HGSS was so much better. Gold and Silver, though, are kinda dated, albeit not as much as the previous generation. Kanto also seemed unfinished (something that HGSS rectified).
-And last but not least, Gen I. Gen I's appeal is mostly for nostalgia purposes. When you reevaluate it, it just sounds so different from the rest of the franchise, and the old games have a lot of elements that have aged horribly (no real plot, Game Corners, unbalanced type system, losing half your money whenever you lost, no breeding, no held items, can't play as a girl, Legendaries completely irrelevant to the plot, and a plethora of glitches). However, the classic anime hasn't aged nearly as bad as the games, and it's still fun to watch.

I’m a Gen VI kid so X & Y is my favourite! I like the design, the characters, and the music. A lot of older reviewers really don’t like how “easy” the difficulty was, but as a kid and someone new to the game, it was nice to feel a sense of progression and encouraged me to play more. It was really my first pokemon game so it’ll have its special place.

I have a lot of memories of playing Ruby and Sapphire with my dad growing up, so that’s probably the generation I have the most nostalgia for. My favorite, however, is Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, because I loved the atmosphere and overall story. I really did enjoy Black/White, too, and pretty much every other game except X/Y, which never clicked with me.

Gen 5, it came out when I just got into middle school and I was so excited to play it. I loved the pokemon designs and especially all of the mystery gift events! I remember having to restart my game so many times when I accidentally ended up knocking out one of the Swords of Justice trio 😭

I got into pokémon when everything was starting, played Yellow, so Generation 1 is very special.

But as for taste, Gen 3 for me is the superior generation. So many cool asf pokémon. And Gen 4 would be a close, very close second place. I think it was around this time that pokémon peaked, not in terms of story or gameplay, but mostly in terms of pokémon designs. I think gen 5 is trash.

Last edited:
Might be a toss-up between the original and whichever one Black and White was. The original because nostalgia and Black/White because it's the game I had the most fun with. I also haven't played anything past Black/White.

I started with Gen 4, and it has remained my favorite. I can't quite warm up to Gen 5, though I wouldn't say it's bad per se. I did enjoy Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire from Gen 6, so that would probably be my runner-up.

It's really hard to pick one soundtrack since there's so many good ones (across all generations, actually), but I'll say Floaroma Town from Diamond/Pearl! I remember traveling back there a lot to listen to the music when I first played the game.

1st generation, because it's the one I'm most familiar with. I do like some other random monsters from later generations. But the one's I readily recognize are from the original line-up. Gengar is still my all time favorite critter. I actually have a lot of OG pokemon cards put away in a binder.

I'm old, and I remember being a kid when the Gen 1 games came out. We were at Toys R Us at night on the day of release and we managed to snag one of the few remaining copies of both games and a gameboy color (the green one).

As such, Gen 1 will always be my favorite. Not just for the designs being more rugged and interesting than more recent generations (personal opinion, but feel free to #atme bruh), but also because the formula at the time was unique and not just a shameless copy-paste "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" scheme like the last 3-4 generations have been with surface level changes or additional features.

Cheers!

Generation Five.

To me, I love Gen 5, because of several reasons. It was the only Pokemon game I ever finished without needing a tutorial online, or walkthrough, had some of the best furry pokemon, (You cant tell me Emboar isn't Daddy material), and was the only game to make the Low HP sound into a BOPPIN ASS REMIX.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum!
It was the generation I started with (yea I started late-ish, my parents wouldn't let me have a console when I was a kid so I could only play it when I borrowed a Nintendo DS from a friend).
I mean;
Cynthia was... the greatest pain I've ever gone through in a Pokemon game.
Underground was awesome!
Infernape is my favorite Pokemon to this day.

But the best theme?

Wayyy to dramatic for a guy like rose but heck I love the dramatic doomsday atmosphere!

Edit:
Also-
Gen V Skyarrow Bridge theme!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back