News Which is a better way to help Houston (and other cities)?

What is the best way to help Houston or other cities affected?

• Total voters

Hall Kervean

Two Thousand Club
There's positives and negatives for both sides
Positives for Donating: The supplies are made available; those who are actually there can use them as they see fit; you can help in other ways as well.
Negatives for donating: They may not all get to the people that need them; it doesn't actually do very much to make a difference on an individual level since so many are.
Positives for going down there right now to help rescue and evacuate people or hand out supplies: It gets the supplies donated to the people that need them; you can be on hand for any emergency; it could make a big difference.
Negatives for going down there right now to help rescue and evacuate people or hand out supplies: You're taking up resources; if you get in trouble the rescuers now have to have assets moved from the actual victims to helping you; there are already professionals down there; you could get in the way.
Positives for waiting until the flooding stops and helping to rebuild: It gets the supplies donated to the people that need them; it helps long-term; it could make a big difference; you probably won't divert assets from the victims to you; you're not getting in the way.
Negatives for waiting until the flooding stops and helping to rebuild: You won't save any lives (probably); you can't help anyone in immediate danger; you will take up resources.

I'd say the only way for me to help would be to donate money, since I'm a student and don't have the time to drive 4 hours down to Houston and try to help. Then there's the fact that I live awfully close to Houston and I've been getting flash flood warnings.

How to help me: open you gas station so that I can buy gas.

Check the fuel stations attached to supermarkets.

Truthfully It's a lot more involved than you would think. Many of the carriers (the people who have the trucks and bring the fuel to the stations) were located out of Houston and so their offices were flooded and the trucks couldn't move. Right now they are getting fuel from wherever they can, including different states. The stations, even if they weren't flooded, were shut down to prevent any water from getting into the tank and ruining the fuel in the ground.

Since a lot of the refineries are located in the gulf and were flooded, it's impacting the entire Colonial Pipeline. Making fuel harder to get everywhere, not just Houston. In the meantime the fuel prices will rise drastically due to speculation by wall street. So even if there was no actual shortages, the fact that people think there would be is going to make it more expensive.

I could give more details but since I'm personally involved I have to be very careful what I say.

Stop people blaming Trump for possibly anything that happens that is bad.

That was a joke. But, I say just wait, get people out or like I did in Cities Skylines, "Pump the water out."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back