Advice/Help Where to start dice rping

Tinytiger28

I've been wanting to start dice roleplaying or something similar for a long time but every time I look at the forums most of them seem like everyone is A) looking for experienced players or B) Talking about some obscure game that I've never heard of before which makes me a bit hesitant to join. Is there any specific research I should do before joining a dice based rp? Any beginner-esque sort of games to start off with?

From my personal experience as someone who basically only joins Dice RP's, most interest checks look more complicated than they are, in fact; partially, that's because the respective thread creators include many technical details about character creation etc. that don't really make sense until you actually need them. Don't let that discourage you, most rps are actually very much open to newer players, and many of the players are willing to lend a hand as well.

What you should do is to take a short look at the system and see what it's mostly about - Pathfinder, for example, offers medieval fantasy, other system offer other visions. That's the same for any other roleplay, though - you'll always gonna want to know what kind of world you're entering. After that, just ask if the storytellers are inclined to lend you a hand with character creation and so on - most will happily help out. Perhaps ask them if the character concept you have in mind will work out decently - as an example, the Rifts rp by Palladium has mages in there, but their spells do little to no damage - thus, the vision of a mage who burns down cities on his own will be harder to realize there, the main focus of mages within that system is utility, not raw damage.

For the record: My first dice rp was here on RPN, no prior experiences with rping in general as well; and it worked out damn well, was happy to run into a great fellow who still ruins half of the games I'm in (just kidding).

In short: Just give it a try. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back