Where The Law Fails

-(Kenzie Brookes)- @Altair1303

"Kain's a free man," She corrected, almost in a condescending manner. For a man who seemed to know everything, he missed out on one key detail. Again, little did this woman know that she would end up said fall guy if Luca doesn't surrender and face certain death from a new, ruthless FBI director. "He doesn't need any fall...." Before she could continue, it was as if her mind drew a blank. Her hand kept a steady grip at Aaron's throat, but her head started to hurt. "Kain doesn't...." Her voice began to dull down almost monotonously, looking down to shake the feeling off, but to no avail. "Kain's going to be....." She found her self repeating the same sentence over and over. Almost as if something was impairing her senses. It followed up with the woman losing her balance and falling to one knee, one hand over her forehead from the intense headache, another with the keys falling down his chest. Something was very wrong. Possibly an aftereffect of the drugs in combination with her mental state? She couldn't even reason in that sense. "Aaah... I was....." Her words almost made no sense, the grip on the key ring lost and it falling by Aaron's hand. Maybe enough to break himself out. "H-Help me.... please... something's..." She suddenly felt unreasonably cold, her body shivering from it as her one kneed stance turned into a collapse to the floor. She felt a light buzzing noise in her head, slowly amplifying and getting worse. "Aaaaaaah! Aaron! Help!" Even her own medical expertise wasn't going to get her out of this. Whatever she was given all this time was uncharted waters. This experience seemed like a mix of different syndromes, but nothing she could make sense of. "Something's wrong, please! Tell the ambulance..... Aaaaaaah!"

-(Aaron Stilinski)- @Shaba7

Aaron knew better than to think the FBI would just pardon Kain, no strings attached. But he kept his mouth shut, until her episode began, That, is something he could work with. moving his upper body slowly, he manages to get the keys into his lap, within a fingertips' reach, pulling them closer to him, he fumbles until he can fit the right key into the lock, getting rid of his restraints, he pushes himself from the chair, only to trip over his own feet in the process and end up lying collapsed on the floor, head towards the driver's area, the set of keys opening a large cut over his left eye. crying out in pain, he tries to drag himself away to no success, the many hours that he had spent in the chair, they'd cut him off from his motor controls more than Kenzie, he was struggling to even move his neck, ending up rolling around the van pathetically. Fuck.

-(Kenzie Brookes)- @Altair1303

Fortunately, the phone call to the hospital made moments ago came as their lifesaver. An ambulance arrived shortly after Aaron's failed attempt to get up. Their screams were audible across the entire road and the emergency paramedics came to their rescue. Kenzie began to experience tunnel vision, slowly closing to black with the buzzing noise in her head and unable to think or perceive from the outside world. Just muffled noises and darkness.

"We've got her. And another victim it seems. No assailant on scene. Lets get them out of here!. ... guys she doesn't look good. We need to get her stabilized, stat!"

That's all the doctor could hear before her screams came to a halt and she blacked out. Certainly wasn't the death of her yet. But her body had given out under the stress as the on scene medics carefully took her and Aaron to the ambulance, soon to arrive at Eve's Memorial.

The slow spread of events that spiraled from the night that Sesler stepped onto a barge and killed his uncle seemed to drive a pessimistic message home. Kain was right; they had nothing to go on. The factory was no doubt deserted and Wells disappeared. And then, the single bleating of a ringtone. A coated doctor answered it, spoke very little before he uttered 'Kenz'. Did Wells find another to exploit? Another to push into darkness? Luca looked at the shrouded corpse of Dave, snapping his attention back when Kain spoke to the other end. An alien feeling of relief swept Luca's chest as he let out a breath. She's alive. And en route to the hospital itself. He had been on the receiving end of bad days for so long that it took a moment to sink through his thick skin. Kain's embrace took him by surprise, leaving him rigid. All that they've gone through was quickly coming to an end. Luca had gone so long without companionship that he didn't know quite how to react. So, he'd awkwardly put down a couple pats on Kain's back before he pulled away.

But yet, there was still an unresolved issue. The deal that Kain had struck with the former director over Dave that quickly turned its sights onto Sesler. Luca had to do something or else Kenzie and Kain would be pursued for the rest of their lives. And why did Wells let her go? Was there something more at play? And Sarah was still out there, somewhere. Angelo was delicately playing his hand and protecting Lociato. But for once, their side had a win. He still had a week.

One week for his final verdict.

|•|Angelo Varundar|•|

Angela spoke beyond the constraint of the professional barrier. Spoke of her past, her background. She had seated herself closer to Angelo, close enough that he could catch the minimal fragrance of some perfume brand. Not enough experience to name it. His interests lied elsewhere, however, when she mentioned Brookes. Inheritance, one they could walk away with. She wasn't close to her father and wasn't troubled by his death, atleast on the exterior. Angelo was no psychologist. Her sudden contact with his well-worn hands visibly shocked him for a moment. He flinched a bit in his chair before relaxing. A burning, a pressure, built in his chest. Fear? Nervousness? Nonsense, he was acting like a school boy. Retracting his hand, he played the motion off my lifting his phone from the suit pocket. He still had to reply to Lociato with names crossed off the list. Placing a few checks over a few, he hesitated on Angela's. This was basically treason. His 1911 was still in his pocket. He could walk away with not only his pay, but with no fear of being killed. Sighing, he checked the name off and sent the message. Angela was going to live.

Pocketing the phone, he commented. "A fraternity test? They'll take DNA. The Feds will book you. I can do many things, but breaking a federal convoy is not one of them." She shared her past with him. Was it reasonable for V to do the same? "I...my mom and my dad weren't necessarily compatible. I grew up in New York with Arlo. Lived above a boxing gym. Heh, I remember going down there every day and getting my ass kicked by my cousin. I wasn't born a killer, you know. Never too close with my dad, but the guy got me with Lociato many years back. He's dead now, done in by Sesler. That masked fucker? That's my cousin, Luca. Killed my dad, his uncle, because he was a criminal. That mask he wears was his dad's, who got plugged back when the guy was ten. Had a few scuffles with him this past week. Bastard is a hell of a fighter. Used to be a champ boxer until he got personal with that blond chick Sarah something-or-other. Quit boxing around the time a loan shark wiped his mom and brother off the face of the Earth. Ran to Seattle just like me. Luca had a future ahead of him, a solid one. I had botched morals and a desire for money. Lociato had a tendency to kidnap pretty women and sell them. But I don't worry about him, not anymore. He only wants the girl back and Lociato dead. Not me."

-(Kain Saunders)- @Milus

A hint of optimism in a day that only brought ill tidings was a relief to both men, particularly Kain. He almost couldn't believe that Wells let her go. Maybe his brother's death left no use for her. And he'd already asserted that he wouldn't be Nathan's lapdog. Seems like kidnapping Anna or going after Ason Tech wasn't going to be necessary anymore, given Kenzie's safe return. It was half tempting to leave the madman alone. He got what he needed, so there was no need to pursue him. Except vengeance. But why? Probably a sign of cowardice, letting him walk with no punishment due, but he had other priorities. Upon separating from Luca, he could tell that the warm feeling was rather strange to him. He quickly apologized, "Sorry.... um.... Kenz is a hugger. She kinda rubbed off on me. In a lot of ways. But in that sense I'm kind of glad she did."

Cooper's deal kept haunting the ex-cop. He had no intention of sparing Sesler. He didn't even hesitate to shoot an esteemed cop like Dave, even if the man surrendered with no complications. As the new, younger director returned to the scene to oversee his forensics team, Kain noticed and boldly stepped in his way. "Our deal: I bring you Sesler. You do as you please with him. You back off of me and Kenzie for good. We go our separate ways. I won't even jaywalk so that you don't even hear my name again. And you stop pursuing me and my family. My final and only offer. Okay?"

The director left little traces of a reaction but a jolt for a nod. "Whatever you say, kid," he mumbled as he gripped the man's shoulder and nudged him away hastily. He was clearly in a rush and not in the mood. But in doing so, he got a look at something around his neck. An ID card for the hospital with his name on it: Jackson Cooper. The name of the man who took his brother from him. Enough for him to go by. Was Cooper with Lociato? Probably not. He'd be on Edward's blacklist if so. No, Cooper had some personal agenda. But none of Kain's concern. He returned to Luca to bring up a new point. A quick look left and right to ensure nobody was eavesdropping until he dragged the man into his hospital room, shutting the door behind him, and spoke,

"I know what you're thinking. And you're not going to do it. Give your life for me and Kenz. Out of the question entirely. Because we have one advantage to all of this that will put us all in the clear... anonymity, as you put it once before. I was careless as Kasper in the sense that Dave picked up my signature. Other than that, nobody could possibly know. You have one better. The mask. That's all Sesler is. Put that on whoever we want, preferably a crook, and we have our sacrificial lamb." Throwing an innocent life to the wolves was certainly a savage move. But who ever said the life would have to be innocent?

-(Angela Parker)-

Sharing stories of the past was surely a way to bond for the two. But the past would only be the past. What mattered for the two was the future. THEIR future. Angelo expressed his concerns about her plan to pin herself up against Kenzie as Edward's elder daughter. But Angela didn't share such worries. "You're saying that like it's the first time we've forged official records. Come on. All of those women we've made disappear over the years? Myself as well in some way. Did you think Henrikson would let a former junkie get as close as I did? Pfft. Hell no. We made my college years disappear from existence. As can we with Angela Parker. All little Kenzie needs to know is that her father had a affair with a woman, a woman who would bear his first daughter. The rest is simple fabrication. Something I'm sure we could do."

Family. Neither seemed to be close to that. Angelo and Luca very different as cousins. And her half sister never knew she existed. Perhaps the secret would come in handy someday if she's apprehended. Maybe it just made her even more of a liability..... but after an operation gone wrong to extort their father six years ago under Lociato's order, she had no qualms bumping heads with her once more. Kenzie avoided what would've been brutal torture, because the sleeper that she appointed to watch her got soft. "There's a deeper reason to me going after my half sister. But maybe I'll tell you about it another day. You seem.... troubled as is."

Aaron would weakly try to resist the EMTs, his arms too numb for him to feel them collide with the wall beside him, he was screaming things such as 'no, let me go!', and other unremarkable phrases probably spoken a thousand times by people he'd thrown to people like Wells in order to climb to the top, it wasn't worth it, it would seem. Being Kain's backup plan helped him when threatened by Kenzie, but if life could be breathed back into his limbs, getting out would be an option, wether stealing something he could use to take a hostage, or blending, he didn't know how he'd do it and he didn't care either, now he just had something to focus on.

-(Nathan Wells)- @Shaba7

Nathan struggles out of his messy bed after less than ten minutes of sleep, groggy and pissed off. grasping for Jose's phone inside his un-ironed suit's inside pocket, upon reading the message, he began boiling, climbing out of bed and putting the phone on his dresser, unbuttoning the coat before chucking it down to the floor, searching his drawer before acquiring another of similar colour, taking a moment to put it on and smooth out the slacks, he thinks of ways to taunt the remaining Saunders/Brookes family, Kenzie wouldn't have met up with Kain yet, so maybe he doesn't know about Liana, so pulling up Jose's contact, he sends some specific instructions, to send the image of Liana's corpse to Kain with a follow-up of "As you can see, I've been celebrating Kenzie's release". That would have to suffice for now. What he needed to do was as Jose said: Call Emilio and get them out of the country, maybe see if they could get as far down as Brazil, so he backed out of his conversation with Kain and found Emilio's contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
-(Jackson Cooper)-

Aftet his brief conversation and pseudo-agreement with Kain, the acting director exited the hosptial through the backdoor, a place thats supposedly for employees and high profile heads. The director of the FBI fell under the latter. Waiting for him was a black sedan, windows tinted black, and no license plates. Cooper entered the back seat without hesitation. A shady sillouhette sat to his left, a partner presumably. But he was in the right place.

"Dave's dead. I didn't want to. But your orders. This operation could cost us our jobs if Governor Evans doesn't like our results."

A grey haired head emerged from the darkness of the vehicle. Henrikson. Alive and well. "Evans is going to have to like it. We've knocked Dave out. That leaves us with Sesler and Kain."

"Jeff. We are using an innocent woman as bait. Are we really going to indict Kenzie Andrews for everything Kain's done if it comes down to it?"

"That certainly won't be admissible in court. But Kain doesn't know that and doesn't need to."

"He's outsmarted us before. Don't underestimate him."

"We make it look like she'll endure the death penalty. Has he tried to assault you yet?"

"Not an assault. He just wanted reassurance that I'd uphold my end of the deal."

"Coop, this operation hinges on getting a violent reaction out of him that he cant be pardoned for. If killing his brother didn't do it, and he doesn't pull anything after you execute Sesler, do something else. Something more personal..........." a brief silence as he thought over the situation. "kill the doctor."

Through the darkness, Cooper's eyes shot out in a noticable gleem in his partner's direction. It was almost unlike Henrikson to give such an order. "Sir, we can get away with killing Dave and Sesler. They're dangerous and wanted men. But Kenzie? She's done nothing wrong! Completely defensless!"

"Except she fleed federal custody to let Kain kill 12 of our men. Book her for that and take her life when you get a chance."

"Director, has your obsession with this family driven you to rip it apart?"

"Its already broken. Dave was working with Nathan Wells. Edward with Demetri Lociato. Kain with Sesler. They're all criminals."

"Yeah. Except the girl."

"Whatever is necessary to let Kain Saunders see the inside of a jail cell."

"This IS centered around Kain. Isnt it? I know how you felt when Chief Brookes got him the plea deal for six months on the bracelet. You wanted him to serve time. But don't take this out on him."

"Do your job, Coop. I will resurface when the time is right. For now i will hide out until we apprehend Kain."

"Director...."

"No. YOU are director of operations now. And you are not backing out of this operation. You helped fake my death. There is no out for you. Do your job, and dont be messy. Know time is of the essence as well. No stalling. Am I clear?"

Displeased with the plan, Cooper let out a groan and reluctantly conplied, exiting the vehicle in a storm back upstairs. He wasn't onboard this. He might not regret killing Dave, and probably not Sesler either. But there was no way he could arrest or kill an innocent woman. He just hoped the first part of the plan would work and not reach that point.

-(Kenzie Brookes/the paramedics)- @Altair1303

The on scene respondents carried a motionless Aaron onto a stretcher, where they took him back to their van. Kenzie remained unconscious, the medics doing what they could to stabilize her as well as assess her condition.

"Missing ring finger on the left hand... lacerations on her face and arms, odds are not self inflicted... burn marks on her stomach. Possibly second degree....... her eyes look like she's been sedated and woken several times this past while. We better get her to Kenning."

Kain had landed his words almost too accurately. Luca was mentally prepping himself for a life behind bars or maybe killed like Dave. The hospital room was eerily quiet now without Dave's voice. Everything was quiet for Luca. His own thoughts seemed dulled a slight bit. He was tired, so very tired. Now, without the rush of adrenaline or immediate danger, he could've slept in the hospital bed right then and there. But he could process what Kain was saying; throw some drug dealer under the bus or something. Luca kept himself covered under the guise of Sesler enough that height and weight were about as accurate as he needed to be. But would they accept some junkie with rail pole arms? Or would they be suspicious? Whatever they felt, Kain would've completed their deal. Perhaps not truly, but the Feds were just about as criminal as Lociato.

Luca pulled the coat onto his shoulders as the mask was clutched in his right hand. He panned it around so that it faced him with the dark lenses that made up the eyes. It was almost sentimental in his regard for the design. His father carved it himself back in Italy. But, it was still just a mask. Just a facade for him to hide behind. Justice was not always fair, evident by the past few days. Those who believe they uphold the law may restrict those that execute those laws. Those that follow out the law may break their own oath. But here, was a dilemma in between. Was Kain accountable for many deaths, some unwarranted? Luca was as well. Did the government break their own laws? Definitely. So what end were they serving? For Kain and Sesler, it was reclaiming and avenging. But the suits were seemingly going out of their way to make their lives hell. Was Lociato even a top priority at the moment? Maybe it followed the 'ignorance is bliss' philosophy. Since the kingpin wasn't in the States in full force, there was nothing to worry about. Swept under the carpet. Would the factory even have answers? Bitter disappointment? Sarah could be dead by now. But he couldn't truly lower his fists until he knew the truth. The director wouldn't put Kain and Luca together without doing some kind of random search through hospital camera logs. He had time. Time to talk with Kenzie, and Kain.

"It'll work, yeah. I can't go with you, wherever you end up. I still have a fight to finish."

|•|Angelo Varundar|•|

Angela was more in the loop of forgery than he was. A useless skill for someone who killed for pay. And she was confident in her ability to pull off the scandal. But the amount of work they had done to efface and create false documents relied a good deal on federal information and Lociato assets. Things they didn't have after Edward. "You can tell me after some time, yeah. What you can tell me now, though, is your plan. Right now, we're heading to Mexico. No doubt Demetri wants me to play bodyguard. Do you plan on staying at some shitty motel until I can get a bit of leeway? I'm not making a run away in a month, or even several. Perhaps you've had this thought out long before me. But I'm still paranoid. If Lociato isn't shut down and I disappear, I become another name on that list. But more than that, a good deal of my money is frozen. We have placements financially that'll keep us steady, luckily."

There was always the possibility of killing Lociato. Angelo had gotten into the habit of using the dealer's first name. He was always on good enough terms to do so. Could he shoot the man? Easily. Walk away? Maybe not.

-(Angela Parker)- @Milus

"I'll find some motel to stay at for a short while. Slowly progress in the social food chain, as to not draw any kind of unwanted attention." The former federal agent threw her head back in an attempt to relax. The situation was stressful, sure. But nothing she couldn't handle. A week in less than sufficient conditions? No problem. Forging official documents to formulate some sort of scandal against Edward's known daughter? Tricky, but doable. That was her area of expertise, and she'd cover it in time. "I'll deal with Mackenzie Andrews and her money. Not like she cares about it anyway. Or needs it. You don't worry your pretty little head about the details. I assume you've gathered that results are something I can give."

Was this a form of vengeance for the sleeper turned good that was supposed to watch over the college girl so long ago? Or some subconscious way of being close to her sister? There was certainly a financial gain to it, and that was enough to convince Angela to follow through.

-(Kain Saunders)-

Kain sighed, crossing his arms at Luca's response to going away. He heard the conversation. His promise to Kenzie to walk away. "Don't think I'm walking away from this pursuit. I'm going to try to talk Kenzie into coming along with us. Wherever we go, she comes. I can't risk her out of my sights for a second. And you and I both know... People in power have ruined my life forever. Lociato being the first man I intend to finish. Lociato. Wells. And the new director. Cooper, as he's called. They all have to go. Lociato took my parents. Wells took Kenzie. Cooper took Dave. Once they're out of the picture, then Kenz and I can disappear. Go wherever we want....... she's always wanted to visit Rome, you know that? Her husband has been there, but he didn't take her with, the cheap bastard." Poking fun at his friend's heritage, a way to potentially lighten the mood. But they were on the same page about faking a confession from a man to be Sesler. Luca's alternate identity would die with it, but clearly he was ready to sacrifice that much. A sacrifice that the ex-cop couldn't be more grateful for.

Before he could continue to joke, the sounds of knuckles patting on a door echoed from behind. Kain turned around to see the very doctor from peek his head inside. "Kain, may we have a word?"

"Of course." Kain looked over his shoulder to Luca, a look that said to hang on a second. Once the doctor and waiting foster brother were alone outside, the conversation went on:

"We found Kenzie and she's en route. But she went into shock about the time that we arrived on scene. She's being stabilized as we speak but there's some things you should know about before you see her."

"I know about her scars. I've seen them once before. So there isn't much of a surprise." There really wasn't. He was expecting her to be in poor condition and was ready to brace for it and help her look past her wounds.

"It's not that...." He hesitated. It truly was bad news. "Kenzie was drugged to such an extreme that the dosage is killing her son. The little one.... he's been significantly damaged. Normal delivery will be impossible, and if he survives, I can't guarantee your sister will. Now, when she first started working in Seattle, she had a list of names drafted for people that would take life-threatening decisions for her in the case she can't. And this, to me, is an emergency, Kain. She probably never told you, but you are the number one priority to take this decision on her behalf."

"Me? Wait..... No, no. That can't be possible. Not her father? Not her husband? Or my brother? Anything? Phillip Andrews... Edward Brookes... David Saunders.... nothing like that?" All of which were dead now, but it was worth asking. He came before all three of them?

Herman shook his head. "Nope. None of those names. Only three names. Yours is number one priority. She put me second."

Kenzie trusted Kain so much as to put her own life in his hands if it ever came to it? This was new to him. Shocking. And she did place his brother or her husband or father on the list. It really showed where her priorities were. Even after he showed how irresponsible he could be, getting arrested and becoming an alcohol addict, she would entrust such decisions with him? The decision itself was difficult. Kenzie or the child? What would she say if he took the choice to abort her son? Maybe she would understand. She's a doctor, after all. At worst, Herman would explain the situation. Besides, if she keeps the fetus inside her, it might just kill her before her 9th month. It pained him to make the call, but he did it, "I know it's my nephew and all.... But I can't risk her dying to her pregnancy."

"I understand your decision. In the same position, I think I'd do the same..." He glanced down to his wooden clipboard at the papers in the stack. He went on, "Also...... this won't be easy to hear, but Kenzie is missing a finger. Left ring. Did you know about this?"

"Yes. I knew."

"You should know that a research team that Kenzie participated in for a month was developing a set of artificial limbs for amputees. An advanced form of bionics, if you would like to label it. Would you like to admit your foster sister into the program? Give her a robotic replacement?"

An unusual choice of a replacement. But it wasn't entirely a bad idea. "Will she be able to maneuver it? Will she be able to work at the hospital again? Will she be functional?"

"Once she undergoes the necessary therapy, she can move it just like her original finger, if not better. Trust me. I'm sure she'd like to participate in a program she once took a part in founding. It'll put her back in practice doing what she loves. Trust me, she'd want this."

"Then do it. I'll help her however I can to adapt to the changes in her life. Every step of the way."

"Excellent. I'm glad she has you around for that. Poor girl... she's lost a lot in such a short time. She needs you there. Keep that in mind."

"Of course..... and Doc...?"

"No, please. Herman."

"Herman....." The young doctor clearly rubbed off on this name as well, when it comes to the preference of the first name over the surname. Or did he pass it down to her? Who knows. "You said Kenzie put three names on her list of emergency contacts?"

"Yes."

"I'm the first. You're the second. May I ask, who's the third?"

"Some girl who apparently doesn't exist. At least not in the state of Washington or any official record on the west coast. One Thalia Griffin. Name ring a bell?"

A brief pause.... A distant memory of something his foster sister had told him in secret. But it couldn't be.... he shook his head. "No. Never heard of the name."

The doctor sighed. "That's too bad. Not sure why Kenz put a random name on the list then." A shrug as he slapped his hands to his sides. "Oh well. Maybe you can ask her when she's here and awake?"

"Yeah... maybe. Thank you, Herman." Now that the two had finished, Kain returned to the hospital room, ensuring the door securely shut behind him to continue his discussion about the events to come, and update the Italian vigilante of his foster sister's condition.

"The EMT's have Kenzie and they're rushing her here. She's not in any decent condition. And I know you have other priorities. But I'd like to at least stay here with her until she's on her feet." But there was something more personal he wanted to tell his newfound companion. A thank you. "I just want to say thank you, Luca. For everything. From the beginning. Taking me along on your crusade against Lociato. Letting me help out where I can. Showing me a new light to fighting. Helping me find my parents' killer.... Even if you didn't find her, I appreciate the effort you put into finding Kenzie.... saving my life on one occasion. I just realized we never got a chance to slow down so I could say what was on my mind. Just know..... whatever kind of help or muscle you need? You'll have me by your side to do it. Till the end."

As he spoke, the last part of his conversation with Herman lured in the back of his head. Thalia Griffin. Kain lied to the doctor. He knew the name. The problem is, to his best knowledge, she's supposed to be dead. Why did Kenzie put a dead woman's name on her emergency care list? A question only she could answer.

There, again, was the solid determination of Kain that Luca expected. Lociato affected both of them in the long course of events. How would Kenzie react? Perhaps she could convince him to stay. Let Luca finish what he had started so long ago. The crass humor Kain exhibited was similar to the embrace from earlier; unusual, alien to Luca. It's been too long since he had last laughed. The depths at which he had changed. So, he tilted his head to the side a slight bit as he tried to think of what to say. He was saved, perhaps, by the doctor. As Kain excused himself from the room, Luca sat in a swivel chair beside the hospital bed. The man looked down to his own calloused hands. He could decipher signs of rope burns from his old dockworker days. Blood flecked in between his fingers and under his nails. It was caught in the stubble on his jaw. Kenzie offered him a shower perhaps two nights ago. Maybe he should've taken it. Luca reared his head forward, fighting off the drowsiness he felt. He had to stay alert. Awake.

The sliding of the door upon tiled floor gave cause for Luca to raise his head, only to see Kain. What else did he expect? Wells wasn't going to personally walk in and the Director was unaware of how close Sesler was in his grasp. He was just paranoid. What Kain told him was what he expected. Wanting to stay beside Kenzie, especially after today. It was his apology that brought a response from Luca. "You're thanking the wrong person. You pulled me off that freighter, remember? Kenzie patched me up. And I was never a man for accepting charity. So, I did what was right and helped where I could. Maybe you wouldn't have found your parents' killer like you did, maybe Edward would still be alive and Kenzie unharmed. Time and time again I put you through hell as I ran after whispers of someone long gone. Now? You're left without a brother, and it was due to my actions that he was killed. Do you think Wells would've taken Kenzie if I didn't get involved?"

A slight pause, Luca stood up, facing Kain. "You need to talk to Kenzie before you decide to hightail it to Mexico. No doubt she wants to get out of Seattle as well, but not into a kingpin's hands. We tried to draw him out here, and now every lead is gone. The only one left is the man himself. And I need to face him without a mask." It was fitting, perhaps. A true battle of two opposite ends of a societal spectrum. And with nothing to hide behind. It was a main card match, a championship bout.

One he intended to win. Maybe then he can lower his fists.

-(Kain Saunders)- @Milus

Companionship was something Kain grew rather fond of with Luca. Perhaps his friend didn't feel the same way, but his thanks, to him, felt in place and necessary. But he did bring up a few valid points. What if? What if he never pried his nose into the docks incident? That moment is what started it all. Put the ex-cop back on the wanted list. Put his loved ones in danger. Put himself at full force against Lociato. Sesler had warned him from the beginning of the dangers and risks he'd uptake. He was witnessing them firsthand with the loved ones lost. But was it entirely his doing? Ever since he found out his adoptive father was bought out, he tried to convince himself that Edward had brought this all upon themselves. But was it entirely? Kain, Dave, and Kenzie had gone fifteen years knowing a lie about the police chief. Hell, they might've gone their whole lives if Kain hadn't interfered in Luca's one man army. He could only imagine the devastation that his sweetheart had endured. Besides the trauma of torture by Wells's hand. Her father. Her husband. Her son. Her foster brother. Among others, all dead. Would she blame him for all of this loss? 

Then again, was it entirely Kain's nosiness that triggered Wells's wrath? That beef began with his brother. How and why? He'd never know. All he knew is that Nathan had some specific interest with Dave, now gone with his death. Maybe it was what happened at the other hospital. Who knows. He seemed to have backed off now. But would it be permanent? Also, would Edward, Kenzie's father, be alive? Also a shot in the dark. If he was working for Lociato, any second could be his last. If it weren't by his own hand, the corrupt police chief might've died by other means. Perhaps like his parents, killed in a mysterious way and covered up and kept under wraps.

Other events were rather unavoidable. The truth about Kenzie's affair with his brother. Some of the trouble Dave was in, independent of the Lociato hunt. Maybe even Sierra's death was in the same category. It was so much for Kain to take in. 25 years old, and he's involved in a world of trouble. But did he regret it?

Kain had but one regret: Kenzie. He put her in harm's way by sending her to Phil's workplace. He let her out of his sight. THAT, was his one and only regret. And once she arrives, the only thing he planned on doing was making it up.

Taking a seat at the edge of his hospital bed, Kain took the time to relax, and replied to his friend, "You put me through hell. Sure. But I know what i signed up for. And one day has brought me farther as a person than the past 15 years ever have, Luca. Am I happy that Kenzie lost her father? That I lost my brother? That Trish lost her mother? Of course I'm not. It hurts to know that if I never found you, we'd all still be alive. But who really knows. Maybe Eddy's true colors would've shown in a different way. Maybe not." He sighed, taking a brief pause and laying back on the bed. Sleep wasn't a necessity for him. Being under the effect of anesthesia gave him enough of that. Enough to press forward. He ran his hands down his sweaty hair and answered to the last part, "I'll talk to Kenz when she's mentally capable. But if you try to go to Mexico alone without at least saying good-bye, I'm coming for your ass. Just be sure of that."

-(Kenzie Brookes/Herman Kenning)- @Altair1303

Outside of that small room, a storm of nurses and doctors surrounding the two incoming patients: Kenzie and Aaron, both taken in different directions with different doctors. The doctor with the young woman? Herman Kenning, her old friend from back in her Eve's Memorial days. The older doctor, deep in his heart, was heartbroken upon seeing a colleague he firmly admired in such a fragile state. But as his job demanded, he maintained his composure.

"Is she sedated?" he immediately asked one of the paramedics.

"She fell unconscious about the time we arrived," a voice replied.

"Get her into the OR. NOW!" His voice fitting to the urgency of the urgency of the situation. Kenzie was in critical condition. Probably something psychological at play from the looks of it. He wasn't going to let her die.

(Feel free to illustrate Aaron's journey with his doctors, Altair. I'll do the same with Kenzie.)

-(Nathan Wells)- @Shaba7

Nathan slid the phone into his pocket, patting down his messy clothing and suppressing the new, but unrelenting feeling of sickness within him, Getting rid of Anna was just business, that's all it was and it didn't matter, he could continue with this and he felt determined to prove it, He has a few loose ends to tie up, and he had little time, most importantly: enough to set up one last display before getting out, Aaron knew where he was based, and would probably cough it up, so why not roll out the welcome mat?

Slipping out into the streets of his mini-metropolis of hobos and military rejects, he finds his way to the town square, where Kenzie's previous guard, Ian, was tied to a chair as a few others worked on fixing two large pieces of wood together, Crucifixion, just as Nate liked. He taps on of his men on the shoulder and tells him something in a hushed tone, before turning down to Ian, pulling his chin up with finger and thumb, examining the bruised face as if it were a work of art, he poses a rather stupid question: "Howsit goin', big man?" with a shit-eating grin plastered on his face.

(Don't exactly think my knowledge of hospital procedures is up to par, so if you'd like, you can control how they deal with Aaron, his condition isn't nearly as bad as Kenzie's, so yeah, do what you feel is right.)

-(Ian Taylor)- @Altair1303

The tables had turned significantly for Ian. Once on Nathan's side, up until he felt remorse for his captive. Much like he told Kenzie, she reminded him of his wife in some unusual, psychological way. He got soft. Stopped torturing and drugging her. Offered comfort of sorts. The doctor told him before that everyone deserves a chance at redemption. Ian was no exception. His defensive stance in her favor was a sign of that. No doubt she noticed and appreciated it. Though his actions would come at the price of his life, soon enough. His hands, pierced by bullets, were sloppily wrapped in gauze to ease the bleeding up until his crucifixion. His face was tainted in bruises and cuts from several beatings from other guards. He was strapped to the very chair that he watched over hours ago. A twist in the tale indeed. Karma surely found its way to this man.

"Do what you want with me. Use me as a pinata, dissect me for a group of students, drug me, crucify me, I don't care. I'm a dead man anyway in your eyes. But you don't lay a hand on anyone else. Not Kenzie. Not Katia. Nobody."

Thats all that mattered now. His wife's safety, as well as Kenzie's. But those couldn't be guaranteed with a sociopath like Nathan. After all, he broke his promise about keeping his hands off Dave's foster sister from the beginning. But the former guard stood his ground, like a true soldier. Going down for something he firmly believed in. Not for the Magician's agenda.

-(Herman Kenning)-

With Kenzie being prepped for surgery, Herman focused on another doctor who would work with Aaron. Explaining the details of how things would soon go down. The older doctor couldn't help but think this second man she was found with might know something about Kenzie's assailant. And that, he felt was his concern.

"What's the other man's status?" Herman asked.

"He's got a cut over his eye. Looks like he's gonna need stitches. He also seems to have been drugged. Maybe not as much as Kenzie, but still drugged. Apart from that, he seems to have been sitting for a long period of time, as well as some bruising. But nothing further, thank god."

"Filtrate him as well. Sedate him to patch his eye up, then I want to talk to him. He might know what happened to Kenz. And I'm sure we all want to know that. His survival is crucial. Don't fail me, Blake."

"Roger, Herm.... Let's just hope she's okay."

"We all hope that. Believe me. I'm going to scrub up."

"As will I."

It was ironically a bit of relief when Kain agreed, to some degree. He didn't chickenshit around what Luca was saying. Still, it meant that he was aware. Aware of how Luca so abruptly threw his train off the tracks. Perhaps there was more at play than just him. So much blood was on his hands from this one family. He didn't even try to stop Edward. He needed to apologize to Kenzie when she was in good health. "I won't leave just yet, Kain. I don't know if Kenzie is actually safe. Bothers the hell out of me, how she was just given up. Plus, I figure rambling on about my burdens to just you isn't fair. I need to apologize to her." There was so much he had to atone for, starting with that night she patched his cut. Bringing Lociato to their front door. Luca was aware that the kingpin effectively orchestrated Kain's parents' deaths. The man would've left Kain in peace if Luca didn't intervene. Or perhaps Brookes would've done the same. Now, Luca needed to ensure the remaining Saunder's safety, Kenzie's, and Sarah's. Then, he can disappear, walk away. With a clean slate after the Director is satisfied. Set up a new life with Sarah. Like Kain with Kenzie.

"You know, I forget a good deal of my past years of fighting. Never forgot details about Sarah. Her laugh, smile, things like that. Perhaps it's cheesy, but I used to be a different man before this. When I proposed to her, maybe a week before she was taken, her expression...I'll never forget it. I remember visiting California for two days, simply walking those golden beaches. It's been so long since I heard her voice, Kain. She could be dead, and I'd have no idea. I fought off people from her ever since the day I met her, and yet I sit powerless to do anything. Thank God Wells didn't put you in the same situation. It becomes robotic, cutting yourself off from the world. I had hardly spoken a word to someone on my side in so long. These past few days put me on the right track." Luca's voice cracked towards the end, as he looked down at his shoes. He had dug too deep inside his memories. It burned inside his chest. He was weary, dazed by the turn of events. What would he find when he found Sarah? Would she even recognize him?

-(Kain Saunders/Jackson Cooper)- @Milus

Kain's separation from Kenzie, both from her years in college and being taken by Wells, were nothing in comparison to the agony Luca had suffered from Sarah's absence. This man was not always the seemingly emotionless warrior he would usually express himself as. There was a time where he had a heart, when he was a normal civilian. Could he possibly mend his life upon the return of his sweetheart? Or even simply the closure of knowing she's in a better place? But in the moment, he seemed to be opening up to Kain, and maybe wanted to with Kenzie too. Maybe that was a good thing. After all, they had a lot to relate to, past and present. What kind of friend would the ex-cop be to leave his partner to face Lociato alone? But again, he would take his foster sister's blessing first before he threw himself into action again. Something deep down in Kain didn't want to fight anymore. He just wanted his vengeance. And once that was taken, he'd forever put his blade down and start over. Kenzie had the funds to do so, way more than his inheritance. They could all disappear. Maybe even help Luca, too, if he accepted. The three of them, and possibly Sarah, vanishing from public record. Starting over. A pleasant thought.

"It's not your fault Kenzie was taken, Luca. Not your fault her father committed suicide either. I'm sure she understands that. Just remember that Lociato was in our lives long before we knew you. For the past 15 years, we've been practically under his shadow. Watching over our family. Keeping us in line. And once I deviated from that line, then and only then did he react and consider me a threat. And I didn't cross that line when I started working alongside you. I crossed it the second I found those files at the station. Got myself arrested. I'm just surprised the bastard didn't kill me. Eddy must've really fought for my freedom back in the day. But I guess I'll never know, right?"

Memories. Kain had many of those with Kenzie, from childhood and the two years that she came back to Seattle. And he'd already told Luca of a few. And seeing how the two were opening up, he followed up. "All that really matters now to me is ensuring Kenzie will be okay. Helping her recuperate. I mean, she got me through AA. Teenage depression. Suicidal tendencies. Almost jail time. Pulling her from the void... I'd do anything for that. I'd do anything to foster a new life for us both. Hell, even if it's that juvenile spark we had as teenagers, where it was all late night movies and snuggling till we fall asleep. Damn, those were the days. I mean, we had memories when she came home two years ago, fun ones too, but with her marriage and such...... I know she never loved Phil. He was only an excuse to get over.... other losses in her life." Kain wasn't the only lover Kenzie had prior to Phil. Was he about to trust Luca with a secret that she'd only told him? "Kenzie's....... roommate in college died in a car accident. And from what I know, she was very fond of her. It broke her heart to know she died. I mean... when her father forbade her from being with me. Then she loses someone else? It was getting the better of her. Phil tried to be a good person. Helped her out. But that was all he ever was. She was only with him to forget about what she couldn't have. I can't let her lose someone she cares about again, Luca. I won't let it happen..."

Perhaps he brought that up because he was toying with the name the doctor gave him not long ago. This girl. Thalia, that supposedly didn't exist, but Kain knew to be dead. The very girl he just told of. Did Kenzie know something about her? Why did it bother him so much? Jealousy? Curiosity? Maybe just a sign of heroism? He was just venting mindlessly. Hopefully Luca wouldn't mind.

But the peace and quiet of Kain and Luca's alone time would soon be interrupted as the newly-designated Director barged in with no warning or knock on the door for preparation. But despite the mini heart attack inflicted upon the two men, there was nothing to hide in reality. Paranoia had really stricken the two. But what did Cooper want so urgently? Kain had his orders and promised to follow through. What now?

Cooper's focus was first on the strange man sitting at a swivel chair at Kain's side. He'd seen the face a few times wandering around the halls but was unaware of his connection to his puppet. "Who's that?" he barked.

Without sitting up or even lifting his head out of respect for the suited man, Kain replied, "A friend from the force. Why?" He could only hope that Luca wouldn't react or try to run in response. Sure, it was even tempting for the ex-cop to show some form of aggression to the Director. This man shot his brother, after all. But no. Not now at least.

"I didn't give you permission to have visitors. I need to see your badge, Officer."

At this point, Kain sat up to his friend's defense. Cooper was persistent, and needed to get off their backs. His voice deeper and almost threatening, he spoke out, "He's a dishonorable discharge. Much like myself. And you know damn well that during Eddy Brookes's reign as chief, dishonorable discharges were wiped off official record completely. So don't try to look into him. Now, did you come in here to deny me some friendly company? Or do you have something important to say?"

Quite an insult to Cooper. Kain was acting like he was the boss and calling the shots. Could he be losing his grasp? Perhaps a stern reminder of what he cares about would put him back on track. "Your precious Kenzie just got here. She's undergoing an operation to remove the dying child, flush out her system from the excess drugs, and implant her bionic finger. And if you try to go all high and mighty on me again, I will personally cut off her treatment and let her rot in her place."

"I don't think you could do that, Director. Not only is that illegal, but the doctor treating her is a friend from when she used to work here. No warrant would stop him from making sure she's taken care of. So don't even try to scare me with your empty threats." Was there something else in play with Cooper for him to continue this back and forth game of threats? "We have a deal. Sesler's head for Kenzie's safety. And I will make good to it. Okay?"

Although the latter couldn't be ensured. If push comes to shove, and Kain doesn't lash out at Cooper, the director would have no choice but to take Kenzie's life to force his hand. Could he even do that? But those concerns were for him alone. The less Kain knew. Though his face did show that he seemed to have the shorter end of the stick in this verbal encounter.  "Sure." He glared back at Luca, displeased at his mere presence in the room, but maintained a polite image to a complete stranger. "Good to meet you, sir." 

There was nothing left to say between Cooper and Kain. He turned his back and excused himself from the room. To the rhythm of his shoes tapping on hospital tiles, he buried his hands in his overcoat pockets and thought things over. What are you even doing, Jackson? Is Henrikson even in his right mind with this sting? Can you take the life of an innocent woman if that day comes? You took a bullet for Jeff a day ago. Would you put one in someone else for him too? Was this right? Governor Evans will sure hang our asses out to dry once we tell him. Shooting Sesler might fly. But shooting the famous officer DS AND the police chief's daughter in cold blood? You'd be just as much of a disgrace as the Saunders brothers..... No. To hell with the regrets. You can't get soft.... not now at least. Henrikson's your friend. But is this man giving you orders still Henrikson?

-(Nathan Wells)- @Shaba7

"Sorry, friend. Not going to happen, if I get the time before I step onto my little boat and shove off to whatever third-world fourth country I come across, I'm going to make sure I visit ole' Katia, stay for dinner, all that kosher shit, tell her about what we made little Billy Jacobs do to his mom" he mocks, staring Ian down and rubbing his hands together, his patience seems to draw thin for a moment, he jerks his head up and looks over at the people working on the makeshift cross. "C'mon, we don't have all day, get this soldier boy up there looking like some son of god, make it fucking painful too, show these bitches what it means to spit in my face!" he screams, when finished, he mellows back down, his shoulders returning to neutral as he paces in a circle, waiting for Ian to respond to any of what he's said.

"NO!" Ian barked back, lunging his head forward at his captor. "You leave Katia alone! You hear me?! She has NOTHING to do with this! Don't let her pay for my mistakes! Keep this beef between you and me, Magician! Please!" His words were out of pure desperation. He wasn't in any place to make demands. For all he knew, Katia would probably end up like Kenzie when this was all over. And he'd never know, unfortunately. What would be worse is that she'd know his true colors: a minion working for a monster like Nathan. He wanted a good impression for his death. Not this. Anything but this.

-(Kenzie Brookes)- [Flashback here]

In her unconscious state, Kenzie's thoughts were racing. What was beyond this? She could hear the volunteers delivering her for a short while, but would she live to make it to the hospital? Would Aaron see justice for his actions? What he did to her and her brothers? And her and Kain. What was their endgame? He told her they'd run away from all of this. Can they? Should they? Lociato is still out there. The man who ruined both of their lives. Ever since he bought out her father. Kain's all she has left. And if they go after the ruthless kingpin, god only knows if they will live. Worse... she knew of Sarah's fate. Would that be hers as well if things don't go as planned? Her foster brother would become just like Luca. As much as she respected him, she didn't want to see the man she grew up with end up like that. A man whose life she saved time and time again.

---ONE YEAR AGO---

The police station interrogation table was one that Kain was used to standing on the police side of for five years. For the past two weeks, he’d sit on the other side, bombarded with questions from lawyers and his next of kin, all asking the same question: Why? Why did he break protocol and snoop into confidential files. What had come over him? Was he even telling the truth about files vanishing and completely changing right before his eyes? It was his word against the department. And that wouldn’t fly.

Judgment day. The day Kain would plead guilty or innocent before a grand jury. The justice department threw everything they could at the poor man. A sentence of at least 15 years awaited him. It was over for him. Suited up, although with his tie undone and his hair shorter than present day, Kain would stand in an interrogation room at the courthouse, leaning up against the walls with his head up against the cold metal waiting for the bailiff to escort him to his podium and face his cruel fate. It didn’t matter how much he explained his point, no matter how absurd the police station’s logic was, the court and jury would side by them. The law had failed him.

The doorknob cracked open. A visitor? The ex-cop would stand up properly and draw his attention to the entrance. Chief Brookes, suited up appropriately as usual, and holding a formal document in his right hand. Closing the door behind him, he’d use his free hand to gesture to the table in the center of the room. “Sit down, son,” he’d insist, seemingly calm about the situation.

Kain obliged and sat in the chair on the opposite side of Edward. He didn’t have much to say anymore, but he had to ask, “How’s Kenzie taking all this? Does she know about what kind of jail time I’m facing?” His voice lacked any sense of emotion, very stale. He knew his grim fate and wouldn’t be surprised with the harshest of verdicts. His foster sister, however, was more sensitive in regards to her family. She clearly wouldn’t take the idea of him going to jail for 15 years well.

Edward rolled his seat out, laying the piece of paper in hand on the table. He took a sigh before going on, “She does. But I spoke with the judge about this whole thing. Me and your brother…” His usual plain expression grew into what seemed like a grin. “There’s hope for you, kiddo. Take a look.” The police chief slid the document over to Kain, the text in such a way that the latter could read it.

He extended his dominant hand forward and lifted the page off the table to read it properly. It didn’t take him long before letting out an exhale of disapproval. Even a smirk. This is not what he had planned but it also wasn’t something he wanted. “So you want me to lie. Embarrass myself in court with this plea deal?”

“Instead of 15 years in a high security prison, you get 6 months on an ankle bracelet, and you can’t be involved with any law enforcement operations or know anything within the department. You can be a free man, Kain.”

“Yeah, at the price of my own dignity. You want me to announce to the world that I was an idiot begging for mercy and put that on record.” he’d continue reading the file, clearly displeased with the terms written within in it. Once he’d had enough, he slammed it onto the table shortly after and slid it to the center. “I’ve read enough. I’m not signing that.”

That wasn’t the reaction Brookes was expecting. He dropped his sights to the paper, now upside down on the table from his perspective, then backed up to a clearly angry Kain. “Son, don’t make this harder than it needs to be. Not everyone gets an opportunity like this. I implore you to reconsider.”

“Not a chance, Chief. I’d rather go to jail for 15 years. Make a statement that your department screwed up and you’re covering up Mom and Dad’s murders.”

“I’ve already told you a million times, Kain. We investigated the case time and time again. Everything pointed to suicide.”

“That’s not what the files I saw told. What I saw was a sloppy murder that was cleverly and scandalously covered up.”

Brookes didn’t answer. True, the original operation was sloppy. And Kain clearly saw something he shouldn’t have. The only reason he wasn’t dead weeks ago was because the Chief had begged Lociato to spare his life, for his own daughter’s sake. Took a while of convincing and a cut in his allowance, but it went through. Despite that, the young man knew far too much for his own good. He reached forward for the form and pushed it back in Kain’s direction. “And what you’re staring at is the only way you’ll ever see sunlight again. 15 years is the bare minimum, young man. Do you want to take the risk that they throw the electric chair at you?”

Kain glanced down at the paper once more, catching it against the table with his palm. He took one last look at the document, pinning it between the index finger and thumb of each hand. The death penalty didn’t scare him in the slightest. He had a deathwish and was willing to go out swinging. “So I sign this, and I only get 6 months on the bracelet?”

Edward nodded. “And you can live a normal life once those 6 months expire. I guarantee you that.”

A brief smile stretched across Kain’s face. His grip reached over for the top of the page, towards the middle. A more aggressive touch with no regard for the integrity of the file as he lowered his left hand down the page to leave a tear right down the middle. He’d drop the two halves of the contract to the table and throw his arms back almost around his chair. “Try harder, Eddy. No happening.”

Although the title ‘chief’ was one that Edward wasn’t necessarily used to in the beginning, 14 years later, it became his title of preference, and anyone who called him otherwise without a good reason got on his nerves. He slammed his palms on the table, standing up, and infuriated. “That’s Chief Brookes to you, young man! And that’s how it always will be… you’re making a mistake, but I’ve done what I can to save your sorry ass. And if you don’t care to live and see tomorrow, then so be it. I will cater to your demands. I’m done helping a lost cause.”

A fuming red Edward proceeded to turn his back on the prisoner and march to the door, only to be halted by the younger man’s voice. “If I do get the chair……. I just ask that Kenzie doesn’t come visit me. Please. Not before, or on my execution. I don’t think her heart could take it.”

The old man paused as he grabbed the handle of the door to exit, hearing Kain’s request. He was aware of the bond the two foster siblings shared, and regardless of whether he asked or not, Edward wouldn’t let his daughter anywhere near the penitentiary Kain would be held at. Another complication he didn’t need in his life. With no answer or noticeable signal of acceptance, the old man turned the door knob and exited the interrogation room.

On the other side of one of the room’s walls stood the two other people close to Kain: Dave and Kenzie. The brother was in his usual police blues, while the sister was in a long-sleeved black dress, both watching over the chat between the police chief and former cop, all up until Edward left the room. Dave was able to maintain his composure, seeing his brother deny his saving grace. Kenzie couldn’t. She held her hand up to her mouth to cover her astonished expression as best she could. This couldn’t be his bitter end. Could she prevent it?

“Can you believe this? He’s throwing his life away, Dave!”

“What can we do, Kenz? He really believes what he saw, and he’s just too stubborn.”

“There’s no other way we can keep him out of jail for 15 years? We can’t plead insanity or something?”

“We’re practically doing that now with this deal. And that’s why he’s not signing the paper. He knows it’s going to humiliate him. But that’s all we could get him. He really screwed himself over.”

As the siblings conversed, the fatherly figure to the two returned to the surveillance room watching through the glass at a hopeless Kain. He noticed the disappointment in his children’s eyes. But what more can they do for him? “Kain’s not going to take the deal. I can sense it… and unfortunately we have to leave him to his decision.”

Instantly, Kenzie glared at her father in disapproval. “How can you even say that? You raised him like a son, Dad! He’s a brother to me!”

“And he’s also an idiot, and we can’t do anything for him at this rate. He’ll just push us away further.”

“Oh really? Well, maybe you don’t know how to reach out to him. Either of you.”

Dave interfered in the argument, a bit lost at where she was going. “Kenz… what are you…”

“Is there another copy of the contract?”

“Maybe he’ll be better off…”

“Dave, is there another copy of the contract?!” She turned to face her brother, looking up to her brother from the height difference between the two. She seemed determined. Possibly with an idea.

“I’m sure the chief can get one… why?”

As the argument progressed, Kain would pace back and forth in the room once again, recalling his soon to be cruel fate. 15 years minimum? They really threw the book at him for something so small. Whoever was framing him knew what they were doing. He was thinking about himself, and not the two loved ones beyond that wall disappointed in his decision. Not expecting any more company, once the door cracked open again, he couldn’t help but glance back to see who it was. His foster sister. He squared his stance to face her properly. A face he could respect. Show affection to. He could tell she wasn’t necessarily happy. Odds are she heard his rebellious stance against signing the plea deal. And she had a clip board in hand. They were bringing that god forsaken paper back. But Kain didn’t want Kenzie to know he was prepared to serve 15 years rather than 6 months just to make a statement.

“Kenz… you shouldn’t have come,” he shook his head, stepping a bit closer to her.

Kenzie responded likewise, taking steps closer to Kain. She left the clipboard on the table, then stood within breathing distance of the convict to engulf him in her arms. Instinctively, He responded accordingly. Her hugs, something he’d miss the most behind bars. Something he wouldn’t get the luxury of dreaming of under the conditions he’d face after trial. And knowing this fact was probably killing her as well.

“You have no idea how much you mean to me,” she’d muffle from under his shoulder.

“Do I?”

She parted ways with Kain, but remained in close range, her hands reaching from behind his neck to his neck, holding his head to look her in the eyes. “I don’t want to see you in jail, Kain. I really don’t.”

There was no nice way to tell her. He sighed before explaining, “I know what I’m doing. I know what I saw. I’m not signing a plea deal of lies.”

“I know it’s lies, believe me. I get that, and I don’t approve of it. But let’s ignore that aspect and think logically. 6 months of surveillance, then you can walk, or at least 15 years behind bars? What are you even thinking, declining this?”

“I’m thinking it will dishonor Mom and Dad’s death, deem me as the village idiot, and make your father look good. That’s what it’s doing.”

“Maybe it is, but it comes in return for your freedom. You’d have to be braindead to turn this down. Do you think other inmates will have mercy on a cop in prison? Especially a high security one. They’ll tear you apart in there.”

“Something I’m prepared to fight against. My training at the academy won’t go for nothing.” He was adamant about this. Even with Kenzie. Breaking him nicely clearly wouldn’t work.

“Listen,” her tone became more aggressive, stepping closer to him once more. “Forget what my father thinks, swallow your pride, don’t be an idiot for once in your life, and just take the deal so we don’t have to worry about you getting roughed up in some high security box!”

“Ah, so I’m an idiot for actually getting justice for my parents?”

“What justice? You’re chasing a ghost, Kain. And you’re throwing your life away because of it.”

Kain paused. He knew this was real, all the suffering he’d endure in prison, he was expecting every bit of it. But another reality came up. He shook his head, staring Kenzie in the eye. “You don’t believe me…”

Unfortunately, at the time, she didn’t. But she couldn’t tell him that. He’d react negatively for sure. “It’s not that…” Her tone softened from what it was previously, now trying to sound more compassionate.

“No. Shut up. That’s exactly what you meant… Nobody believes me…” He stepped away from the woman, taking to the wall on the other side of the room and leaning against it. But that lean soon collapsed into a seat on the floor. “Nobody believes me… … …” His head fell into the palms of his hands. “I know what I saw… And nobody believes me.”

Now Kenzie felt bad. She wanted to give Kain hope, not rob him of it. And that hopelessness would make him want to spend 15 years in a jail cell even more. As much as her father, and even her husband, would disapprove, she needed a more personalized approach to this. Taking the clipboard with her, she stepped closer to the man she’d grown to love and fell to the ground by his left side, her back against the wall as well. It was almost customary between the two: Kenzie to the left, Kain to the right. Without making eye contact, she continued,

“If you go this route… I swear, you will see me every day at visitation. I don’t care what it takes. If I have to get a job at whatever penitentiary they lock you up in, I will do that, whatever it takes to see you and make sure you’re okay on a daily basis. Because unlike everyone else, Kain? I care about you. I’m not going to let you do something you’ll regret.”

Kain removed his hands from his face and to his side. “Like you’d actually do that for me. For some idiot throwing his life away? Chasing ghosts, as you called it?”

“You are an idiot. But you’re my idiot. So whatever dumb decision you make, I’m not going to let it get between us or let it break you. If that means the prison security will have to get used to my face, and inmates will have to lust over me from afar, so be it. Sign that plea deal or not, you’re not going to get rid of me.”

“I’m not trying to get rid of you, Kenz. I know I saw in those files, and I will say exactly that on the stand.”

Kain’s always been stubborn. Never had anyone to relate to. Nobody ever saw what he saw in life. Call him mentally challenged, traumatized, or even delusional. Pathetic. That was the wording his brother in law would use. Although Kenzie could never understand him fully, she was the only one who tried. “I don’t care what you say on the stand, Kain. Just because you swear on a bible and say something doesn’t make it true. Taking this deal doesn’t dishonor your parents… It’s going to keep you on the streets looking for answers. The right way. If you take the court’s sentencing, you’ll never know what really happened.”

“I’ll make a fool out of myself.”

“And so what? Who will care? Because I don’t care what you say in court. It doesn’t make it any bit sincere.”

“The masses will believe it. Your dad will milk the story for all it’s worth. Hang me out to dry. Humiliate me for knowing the truth. You think I’ll be able to keep looking for answers when this is all over?”

She knew he probably couldn’t. And maybe he shouldn’t. She could get his mind off it though. All she needed was his signature, his word on the stand, and the two could move on. The question is, would he? Perhaps another approach would work. Not aggressive nor begging. No, something closer to their hearts that they shared nine years ago. After a short pause, she continued,

“Kain…” she sighed, gripping his left hand in her right and resting her head on his shoulder. “I don’t want to see you in jail. You think you’re only punishing yourself by doing this. No. You’ll be punishing me too.”

Kain looked to the ceiling to avoid the urge to get emotional. Not once in his tirade to Edward did he consider the effect on her if he was sentenced. He could see where this was going. “I don’t want to see you sad. Or suffering…”

“You will if you go to jail. Don’t think that being locked up means you won’t see me again. Because you will. Every day. We’ll both be suffering under the same roof. But you don’t have to worry about my sadness. Because there’s a way out… Take the deal. Please.” She fixed her position to look him in the eye. “Say a few empty words to a judge who you’ll never see again. Sign some paperwork. Put on a stupid ankle tracker for half a year. Then we can all go home. I… I can’t lose you.”

“Why does my well-being matter so much to you?”

She couldn’t possibly say the underlying reason, her feelings for him. Rather, she approached it differently. “We say… um… We say you’re my foster brother. But you feel like an actual brother. And I could never live with myself knowing my brother could’ve avoided a jail sentence if I did something about it…” She reached for her side, gripped the piece of wood with a pinned contract to it, and placed it in Kain’s hands. She followed up with a slim black pen. “Don’t do this for yourself. I’m not asking you to. Would you keep yourself out of jail if it were for me?”

The question was a no brainer. Only then did he realize the consequences of him going to jail. But not the ones on himself: on Kenzie. How miserable she’d be knowing he would be gone for fifteen years. A good portion of his life gone because he did two dumb mistakes in a row. And there was a way out. Twisting the writing tool in his fingers, he adjusted the contract to sit firmly in his lap as he read it over again. “I’m…” A pause as his shaky hand dropped to the dotted, the tip of the pen pressing against the paper and dragging the ink in the form of his signature. Once his fate was set in stone, he dropped the pen to his side, the contract placed aside. But now, he faced Kenzie eye to eye, his own puffing and watering. “I’m sorry, Kenz… I’m sorry.”

Kain couldn’t handle it. It came to him: Kenzie was hurting more than he ever would in prison. And her safety, in the moment, trumped his own dignity. Aware that his brother and her father would be watching, he let his head fall to her lap weakly, as if he were breaking down, but he tried to avoid letting it show. He would soon stand in court and face a judge. He was doing whatever he could to be strong. Kenzie responded accordingly, her hand brushing over his growing hair, dropping her gaze to his breakdown. The conversation equally affected her, and the ex-cop’s decision to take the deal warmed her heart. A relief. “Thank you, Kain. I don’t… I don’t know how I’d live with you in prison. Thank you.”

Dave and Edward would always brag that they got Kain out of a lengthy jail sentence. But no. They only got the deal. The only reason he took it was for Kenzie. And that was the only reality that the convict would accept.

-(Nathan Wells)- @Shaba7

"Uh, no. I'm going to make sure she knows what you've been doing." He smiles, hand moving quickly into his pocket for a small knife, before getting up close with Ian, face rather close. "Right before I cut her face off and send it to Kenzie. She'll know how lucky she was" he assures, taking the knife and dragging it lightly, yet deliberately across Ian's forehead. Keeping eye contact with Ian was easy for the psycho, a small smirk playing upon his lips. "You threw the dice, looks like they've landed."

There really was nothing Ian could do anymore, apart from hope it's just a scare, just to leave him with negative thoughts at the point of death. Thoughts that his wife would suffer, know the truth that he was a cruel madman's lapdop for so long. That Nathan would continue to pursue Kain and Kenzie for his own sick pleasure with no way to persuade not to. Hell, was Kenzie even safe? Did this man have plans to kill her? Little did he know that he let her go not long ago. But now he took a page from her book when she was held captive: foul language:

"Go to hell, Magician. Just kill me already."

-(Jeffrey Henrikson)-

Henrikson's scandal was certain devious. And risky. It was literally hinging on a nasty reaction from Kain, and that was proving to be more difficult than anticipated. And what if Sesler's death didn't set it in stone? That would mean Kenzie Andrews has to die as well. It wouldn't be his hand, fortunately, with his partner pulling the strings. A contingency to cover his own ass. Riding in his tinted vehicle across a series of sideroads, the crooked director figured he couldn't leave the man above him in the dark... Governor Evans. Maybe at least giving him word of his plan early in would ease him into the idea. It was already a shot in the dark. But like he said before: this was about Kain paying for everything he's done. One way or another. Killing the FBI director will land him a place in the electric chair. Something he could've faced a year ago. Something Jeffrey firmly believed the former cop deserved. But for now... a phone call to a VIP contact.

"Hello?" the burly, older voice on the other end answered.

"Governor Evans."

The voice in itself was a shock for the voice on the other end. "Jeffrey?"

"I can explain, Governor. This scene that went down at Eve’s Memorial was all part of a covert operation under my supervision. It was a need-to-know thing, hence I couldn't let you in the loop until now."

"Need-to-know my ass, Director. You had me worried. After everything that's happened today, I need to know what exactly is going on in Seattle! First Brookes hangs himself on webcam for the world to see while his daughter is MIA, then we get word of slave trade?! Good cop Saunders gone bad?! And your death is no better! You have some explaining to do!"

"Lociato isn't our priority at the moment. We've confirmed he's not in America, hence he's not within our jurisdiction. But Kain Saunders is."

"You pardoned Kain Saunders, which I signed off on. What do you still want from him?"

"His pardon was the sting, Governor.... I had no intention of letting him walk. Not after all he's done. And his brother, DS? He sure helped our cause."

"Excuse me?"

"Kain is helping us deliver some rather.... high priority targets, under the pretense that he's saving the woman he loves from jail time."

"I don't follow."

"Mackenzie Andrews. Chief Brookes's daughter. She's been located and is at Eve's Memorial Hospital undergoing treatment."

"Thank god. Some good news today."

"We intend to use her as a method of making Kain.... cooperative. We've convinced him that we can pin all of his crimes on her, but we can refrain from doing so if he delivers his brother and Sesler."

"That is the most ludicrous plan I've heard from you in a long time, Henrikson! Kain is a former cop and knows protocol like the back of his hand. Do you think he actually believes this?"

"Most definitely. He's already delivered Dave... and we've... disposed of him accordingly."

"You mean shot him dead."

"Self defense, Governor."

"I saw the security footage! That was NOT self defense! That was point blank during a peaceful surrender. A goddamn execution!"

"Well, faking my death to create a supposedly enraged Cooper really helped out in that matter."

"What the hell are you doing, Jeffrey? I'm calling this operation off NOW!"

"Governor, Kain has proven to be useful. All we need him to do is deliver Sesler, then boom. Seattle will be a much better place for us all."

"And after, you back off of the family, right?"

Family… what was even left of this family? What WOULD be left when he’s done? A pause cut off the noise from Henrikson’s end, before he proceeded. "Not exactly... Kain will see the inside of a jail cell no matter the outcome. Dave's dead. Sesler will die. And if one more person's blood has to spill for Kain to pay for his act of treason...."

"Henrikson.... are you actually considering murdering the police chief's daughter to provoke and consequently indict Kain Saunders?"

No answer from the director.

"You are calling this operation off immediately. You will resurface and call off this deal you have with Saunders, and leave the entire family be. They've lost enough for one day, and now that you've given Kain his freedom, leave him to mend his path!"

"I'm sorry, Governor... I can't let that happen. Kain dodged prison once. And he won’t dodge it again.”

“If you follow through with this operation, and the political fallout from its inevitable consequences comes back to me, it will be YOU being tried for treason, Jeffrey!”

The words he was looking for exactly. A devilish smile expanded across Henrikson’s face, but Evans would never know… “Well you’re in this now, sir. Because by that, you’ve just indirectly signed off on the operation, which makes you equally in this as much as I am.”

“Wait… what?! Don’t you twist my words—”

Henrikson had heard enough and disconnected the line. That’s all he needed: taking words from Governor Evans’s mouth that would be blown out of context. The kind of thing to, as the older gentleman on the line said, to shower the political fallout on himself. And therefore off the far-gone director. Success. Unfair. But success.

-(Nathan Wells)- @Shaba7

"Silly, that's what the cross is for! you're gonna fucking sit up there with nails in your hands until I tell someone to come find you, what they do is up to them, though." he says, mocking Ian with the way he spoke. "You see what I did to the kid who was following me? blew 'em to pieces, some of my best work yet!" He declares, lying through his teeth, he still felt somewhat disturbed deep within him, like he had crossed some line, but he couldn't let others find out about his newfound mix of fear and confusion, so he'd keep up the show.

-(Jose Salas)-

Jose couldn't help himself, he'd stayed around and watched the EMTs take his hostages and decided to follow, well, more like he predicted which hospital they'd be taken to and was correct, newly acquired heavy clothing obscuring his face, a large coat covering what he'd been wearing in the van. May as well keep tabs on whoever he could. With some faked charm and a decent sum of money, he managed to "prove" his relation to Aaron, 3rd cousin that was close or some equally unbelievable bullshit.

It put him in some kind of danger, Kain would surely be close-by, which was troubling, but boredom was something that stung like hell, for Jose at least. With his guest clearance, he could probably get away with a bit of wandering, play the lost foreigner if he were met by some highly unforgiving member of the staff, but maybe he could get something useful from his time in the place.

Kain's words were a comfort to a degree for Luca. Though perhaps he was speaking on behalf of Kenzie and not the doctor herself, it still meant something. The kingpin meddled in so much for so long, that both of their destinies aligned against the druglord. Reminded him that Lociato had his hands around Edward long before Luca. Kain and Kenzie were always in danger. And apparently, Phil was as well. Perhaps all of the regret he felt was because of his incapability to protect Sarah when she needed him the most. Even as a child, he didn't help Angelo. The hit man's life was shapes by his hands to a point. Arlo was dead as well. His own uncle. Sure, it was justified, but that didn't lessen the blow. Luca was tired, sick, hurt, by the was. Not just physically, but spiritually as well. Kain was wounded, too. His past was marked in hardship and the healing hand of Kenzie.

The burst of movement from the door spurred Luca to move in the chair, sliding the mask into his coat in the same fluid manner. It was Dave's killer, the man Kain dealt Sesler's future over with. Kain provided a cover story as fast as the man entered the room, painting Luca as a discharge. Even caught the fumble with a lack of any credentials. The director spoke of Kenzie's scheduled treatment and threatened to remove him. Luca wrung his hands into fists, but stayed sitting. Kenzie's baby was dying? Was it because of the drugs? If only Luca had recovered her before she disappeared once more...

As Cooper left the room, Luca stood up, speaking. "That's my judge, jury, and executor, eh? Well, it can't be helped. Kenzie's alive, thank God." Placing a hand onto the bed, he layer back and shut his eyes, uttering a few other words. "Wake me when she's come to." [SIZE= 16px]Luca's mind wandered his store of memories, and like many nights, reflected on his fiancée.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]A crystalline dark night was outside the studio windows as the crackle of a fire set inside its rightful place lit up the room. An unscarred, smiling Luca clinked the rim of a champagne glass against another held in the supple hands of the blond temptress. Taking a sip of the sparkling alcohol, he leaned his head in and placed his forehead against hers as he spoke. "You think your parents will come?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]She laughed, turning her head to take a sip of the drink before talking. "I doubt it. Running off with a man they hardly knew across the country? We'll elope!" She raised her glass on the last sentence, dramatically emphasizing her exclamation.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]Luca chuckled himself, replying. "They knew me alright. Enough to know I beat up a couple of punks. If you want to elope, where should we have our honeymoon?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]Closing her eyes, she placed her glass on the ground beside her and held her body upright by placing her hands on the carpet. Both Luca and her were sitting in front of the fire parallel to each other. "Somewhere exotic, not this dreaded place. Li Juan had his deli robbed just last week, you know."[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]Luca nodded. He never explained why his father's friend moved with them from New York, or the gun store underneath. It wasn't lying. It was protection. "Why not Mexico? The gulf is lovely this time of year, I've been told."[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]"Hmm, how delightful. Never saw you as such a tourist."[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]"Never saw you as someone who said 'how delightful' while drinking some exotic liquor."[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]"Touché. Do we even have the money?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]"Never said we had to go RIGHT after we elope. Those rings aren't cheap."[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]"Alright, making me worry about our bank account. Change the subject." It was a lighthearted phrase. They never stressed over money. They both grew up in a tough neighborhood.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]Luca leaned in, planting a kiss as he held her hand on the ground. She'd lean back, laughing, before responding. Wrapping his other arm in a kind of embrace, he'd then whisper a few words. "I love you, Sarah."[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]"I love you, Luke." She would place a hand nursingly on his bruised cheek, where he had been punched a few matches ago. Pulling Luca close, she would mean her words.[/SIZE] If only she knew. If only Luca knew.

(Argh! Coding is a mess!!)

-(Kain Saunders)- @Milus

With Cooper out of the room for a while, it seemed as if Luca and Kain could finally relax, for the moment at least. Throwing his back against the bed once more, Kain let his arms spread over the sheets and his eyes wander to the square tiles of the ceiling. More regrets came to mind. What would Kenzie say when she knows her son is dead? Maybe she already got a hint? But the fact that HE took the call to put him down. But the way Herman made it out to be, it was either her or the baby. Dave's son. His nephew. A hard call, one he hoped he could be forgiven for. Moreover, his brother. If he'd acted faster, would Dave still be alive? It ached his heart to know the last family member he had was now gone, and thanks to the law that he firmly served for ten years. There was no way he could convince his older brother that the force was dirty, when in fact, Dave was a testament that there were still good men there. But if only things had shown sooner.

But everything else about his beloved could be helped. She'd receive a new finger to replace the one missing, one she could use like her old, her system cleaned of drugs, alongside any other kind of harm done to her. He saw the after picture Nathan had. Horrific. Unbelievable. He had no clue the woman had endured torture in the past, so he had no idea how she was taking things psychologically. But he trusted the doctor in charge. His partner mentioned taking a nap. Though he wasn't extremely tired, perhaps he could indulge in some rest. It'd been too long since he'd chosen to close his eyes peacefully. Who could blame him, especially when an outburst like Cooper's just now could happen any second? He didn't even see Kenzie yet. He just had the Director's word. But that's all he could go on for now. Darting out of the room to find her would be rather rash, and no doubt she's in the OR now, meaning he can't see her either way. Maybe some rest was the best idea. Kenzie would sure want that. It'd give him some time to reflect too. The day's been nothing but losses. Thank god she wasn't one of them. A silver lining perhaps. A sign for better days, as a wise man once told him.

"Yeah..." he answered Luca, his voice hazed as he let whatever weakness within him succumb. "Will do." He let his eyelids droop down as he awaited the reassuring words of a professional. Preferably not Cooper. No, because of that man, Kain had his switchblade by his side in case of an emergency. Perhaps Herman would be a better face to see. But the best face he could see after all of this? Kenzie. That was for certain.

Ian felt his bindings coming undone from his newly torn hands as he was lifted by two mercenaries. Judgement was here. He was laid on the floor beneath a wooden cross and spread out accordingly. Crucifixion. It wasn't a joke. The nails entering his hands were almost painless. The bullets already did that job for him. But the feet would be another story. He braced himself for another scream, clenching his eyes shut, and announcing,

"Just get it over with." addressed to the overwatching Nathan, as the sharp rusted nails were buried into his flesh and into the wood underneath.

(Once Ian's [almost] dead, I'll be good and ready to time lapse till Kenzie is out of surgery.)

-(Nathan Wells)- @Shaba7

"Ian, my friend. You're gonna bleed out Like a thanksgiving turkey, all the while having to imagine the scene the cops will uncover at your house." He grins, half from the pain caused to the man, and half from the pain that will be caused to him. "Get the cross nailed in, I want a few photos of him, make it degrading if you can, something I can show the wife, if she lives that long." He comments, trying to piss the man off, but before he can utter a word, he points out a finger, placing it over his mouth. "Don't bother" he turns to leave, his men got to set up the cross properly. 

(Sorry for the absence, go ahead and timeskip.)

(OOC: Skipping till Kenzie gets out of surgery and coming to, since we're all on board now. I'd say thats a good 3-4 hour skip.) @Milus @Altair1303

-(Kain Saunders/Kenzie Brookes/Herman Kenning)-

Long hours of darkness had engulfed Kenzie's mind for the past few hours. This past day for her was beyond grueling. An experience she'd never been faced with nor expected. Even after years of physical abuse, dealing with the stress of her brothers and father being police officers, and traumatic losses that never really left her mind, this day was probably the worst of her life. Blame Kain for showing up at her doorstep with a mission? Blame Dave for tempting the devil and provoking Nathan Wells? Blame Edward for involving himself with Lociato in the first place?

No. Only Kenzie was to blame for any of this. She accepted to stay on board despite constantly being warned and advised against. It was a decision she took the second she let Kain and Luca into her home. When she started studying medicine, she wanted to be the change this world would need. Perhaps this was the golden opportunity. Throughout her scars, tears, and shattered heart, something deep down told this woman it would all be worth it someday. Not for any kind of fame or vanity. Rather for a sense of self actualization. Accomplishment. To help Kain and Dave, who she cared about above all else.

Her eyelids slowly cracked open upon a bright fluorescent light above in a generic hospital room. The painful headache and buzzing noise was, at long last, soothed. It was quiet, aside from the low tone of an older radio playing soft rock classics that got the doctor's attention. She felt, for the first time in what seemed like an endless day, comfortable. Lying back in a cheap hospital mattress with her head against a somewhat comfortable pillow. Compared to Nathan's death trap of a chair and constantly being drugged, this was fit for a queen. Her head felt at ease. Relaxed. The cares and worries of the past were behind her, now more acclimated to the idea. But deep down it doesn't get easier. Living without her mother, enduring a childhood of cruel babysitters, coping with Kain's suicidal tendencies, and losing Thalia in college was enough for the first 21 years of her life. Now the list of the forever lost only gets longer. Sierra. Her father. Her husband. Her son. Dave. A burden kept to herself. One she overcomes by her career choice. In every patient she's worked with, she sees the loved ones she knows she cant be with. And she cant let them slip away. In its own way, it keeps her going. Would it still after today? 

Without even a look in the mirror, she could tell things were different with her physically. Those cuts across her face were overlapped by a pair of strips, similarly were the ones on her arms. Her stomach seemed like she had work done on it... from the burn? Or the baby, unsurprisingly. Or both... Her right hand had a needle over the top, she had a pair of superficially placed nasal tubes for reassurance, which she quickly removed from annoyance, little feeling in her legs, and her left hand felt different. .. heavier. A brief glance, and she couldn't believe her eyes. A blue-silver bionic ring finger where her old one once was, surgically fixed to her knuckle glimmered from the rays of sunrise through the blinds. It had a series of joints and springs in such a way that the prosthetic could potentially bend like an original. All too familiar, and then a distinctive icon came to light: a B engraved in a way that slightly came out on the side of the base. Like a 3D effect. The prototype she'd worked on back in the day. Now she was patient zero. It brought a faint smile of awe to her face as she attempted to roll her fingers into a fist. The new implant didnt move with the other fingers, unfortunately, but that was to be expected. She knew this would take time to become functional. But the idea alone that this technology was finally out of alpha brought this day to a good start.

"Kenz."

She tilted her head in the direction of the noise. Past the multitude of 'get well soon' balloons and a few bundles of flowers stood her old boss, who, once more, brought an optimistic atmosphere upon her. Finally, sweet company. "Herm?"

The older gentleman stood at the door to thr room, back against the wall and arms crossed over his chest, a warming smile towards his patient. He took to his feet and advanced towards her, arms slowly opening. Kenzie responded likewise, embracing her friend with whatever arm radius she could muster. Once they seperated and Kenzie sat upright, Herman continued, "Excuse the clutter." He waved his hand in the direction of the offerings across the room. "Once the staff got word of what happened, we couldn't help but be worried sick about you. All of us are so glad you're okay."

Blushing in embarrassment, she had no idea how much of an influence she was at this hospital. And in just a year and a half. "I.... I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to write out the thank you cards as soon as I can."

"There's no need. We're family. I'm sure you'd do the same if it were one of us."

"You know I would... but even if I'm not around...."

Herman let himself rest on a nearby chair as he conversed further, "Kenz, remember the first day you worked here?"

She nodded. "I saved your life."

"Indeed you did. You couldve just let someone more experienced do it. But no, you took it upon yourself to come to my rescue rather than cry for help. From that day, we all knee you'd be a part of our family. No matter where you are."

"Thats why you insisted on me calling you by your first name. And me by mine."

"It fosters a feeling of closeness. Friendship. That doesn't die, kiddo. It never will."

Unsure of how to reciprocate such a noble compliment, she shyly grinned, running her right fingers over her new limb, and uttered through a giggle, "I appreciate it, Herm. Thank you.....um, who took the decision to impliment the bionics project? You?"

He shook his head. "Your brother. He's been worried sick about you. He wants to see you."

Hearing word about Kain brought a new sense of joy to her ears. He said he'd be waiting for her. Looks like he was. "Kain's here?" Herman nodded, he himself pleased that her brother's mere presence brought a grin to her face. She'd missed smiling, happier times. Could they ever be replicated?

"I'll get him. Just a moment."

With little do until Kenzie was in her room, Kain, much like Luca, took the time for a nap. He didn't need sleep. But they had a long two days, and after everything they'd been through, a nap didnt seem like a bad idea. Kain's dreams were often pitch dark. Other times, they'd be horrible flashbacks of his troubled past. This time, he couldn't help but reenvision all of the pleasant memories of his brother. Though a complete opposite, Dave was a role model to Kain. A rock to hold himself solid. A reason to stay strong. Now he's gone, and it simply didnt sink in. He no longer cried. Tears would do nothing further but embarrass himself before his partner. Rather, he understood something. Dave told him in that police car two days ago that when they lost their parents, he felt an unconscious urge to support his brother and keep him on his feet. Naive as he was, Kain never fully understood this. But only in the moment when his brother was gone did he finally realize the meaning. Nobody was there for Dave. He got to where he was by choice and strength. Hell, he owed a lot to his brother. And deep down he knew the real David Saunders. Not the one the media was going to portray. Quite a legacy to live up to. But like his brother, Kain had to take his brother's sacrifice and use the experience to make himself better. Be strong, only for him, it was for Kenzie.

A few gentle knocks on the door, followed by the voice of an older man call, "It's me" awoke the two from their rest. Kain shot his head upright and sat properly in the bed, awaiting as Herman let himself in. His hands folded over his lower torso, he brought his good tidings. "Your sister is alive and well. A bit weak, but she's going to be okay."

Finally. Relief. She was so close. Practically in his grasp. Never again would he forsake her. A sweep of his hands over his face and through his hair, he exhaled in relief. "You don't know how grateful i am, Doctor ... how can i ..."

"No..." he stopped him from finishing, holding his finger out in a halting manner. "This isn't something I'd ever say no to. You don't have to repay me. Not in the slightest. But I'm sure that she'd like to see you. Two rooms to the left of here. What do you say?"

Pressing his hands over the bed, Kain let himself fall to his feet. Energetic. Ecstatic. And maybe a bit anxious. "I say... why am I still here?"

Herman was both impressed and worried about how eager and quick Kain was to be mobile again. He seemed alright and was no longer limping. A great sign, enough to let him see Kenzie alone. But he still maintained a lingering fear that things could get worse with one wrong move. But he'd discuss this later, probably with his medical expert of a sister. He took a step away from the door for the two men to exit and make their way to the next room. After they did, he took a new direction. The second man that they picked up with Kenzie: Aaron. To a room not far from Kain's, Herman approached the same doctor placed in charge of the techie's health. 

"What's his status?" He immediately asked, his tone noticably more serious thsn it was with the other two patients. 

"Stitched up and stable. He's in the room behind me. But we've managed to ID him. A name all too familiar. Aaron Stilinski."

"Stilinski? Like Senator Stilinski? (If he wasn't a senator just say, Altair) That dirty presidential candidate?"

"Indeed. Thats his son in there. Notice a pattern?"

"The children of corrupt men of politics kidnapped by Nathan Wells."

"Probably. Think junior might knoe something?"

"He just might. Let me talk to him."

Without any further hesitation, Herman left a few knocks on Aaron's door before letting hinself inside. Regardless of whether the patient was awake or not, he paced before the bed and spoke in his usual patient to doctor tone, "Took quite a beating, didn't you, Mr. Stilinski?"

While Herman dealt with what might be thr bigger picture, the two troubled vigilantes stood before the room that they were directed to. The ex cop had the bag that he'd been carrying around since he left the church. It had some significance. A crack open, but Kain knocked regardless out of courtesy. A light female hum of approval responded. Kenzie. Kain was sure of it. He rested his palm over the painted white door and pushed inward. What would he be greeted to upon seeing his sweetheart face to face? What would he say to her? What would she say to him? Or even think of him. Things had changed. Drastically. He wronged her by letting her walk alone and be taken by Nathan. He couldn't help but feel guilty for her ordeal. But he still loved her. Would she still love him? Especially since she knows about him murdering three cops. Did anything make sense anymore? 

It got easier as Kain approached the railing of thr bed, his eyes set on Kenzie's, following the glare they'd emit with his advance. Her face was scarred. Maybe not permanently, but scarred. The bionic finger was also in place. It stood out, for sure, but it was certainly a practical solution. She was sitting upright too, showing some regained strength despite her injuries. He couldnt see if there was any other bodily scarring, covered by the hospital gown. But the look of astonishment and joy together trumped all else. Once he was close enough, he reached for Kenzie's right hand, placing it in his hand. The tables had turned. Usually it was Kain getting himself in trouble and landing himself in a bed like this. But he'd happily do the same for her.

"Kenz..." Kain shyly uttered upon contact, he didn't know where to start. How to start.

Shaking her head, she gripped his hand and pulled him a bit closer. She knew him all too well to predict what eas to come. "No. Don't even say it, Kain. Just..." Almost instinctively, Kenzie tried to move closer to Kain, who responded by taking her into his arms as best as he could from across the bed. She threw hers behind his neck and embraced him as tight as she could in her state. Something she wanted for so long, to be with her brother. "I'm so glad you're here now."

A faint hum of pleasure came from Kain as he expressed the same feeling of relief and pleasure. "Believe me, i was so worried he wouldn't let you live."

"It'll be okay. Trust me. We can make this right. Somehow. Just dont blame yourself. Please." Their hug soon became more loose, but they would continue to grip one another's forearms. But they looked back to a lone Luca. With a warming tone and smile, she invited Kain's friend to the group hug with a nudge from her head and a wave of her hand. "Come on, big boy. Don't tell me youre too macho to hug. Get in here."

"Yeah." He mutters, meeting the doctor's eyes, scheming inside his mind; the man knew his name, which could go either really well or utterly terrible depending on the doctor's ability to be corrupted. If Aaron could pay him a hefty sum and get out of there without having to deal with Kenzie, he might as well take a trip to Vegas with that kind of luck. But for now he was screwed, so he could be a tad more productive than whining and waiting to see if Nathan nabbed his credit card.

"You know anything about the guy who got me?" he asks. It would be a long shot, but if he could make it seem as if he had no prior involvement with wells, he could be out of here without too much hassle, all of this was flimsy but Aaron had very little else on his side.

-(Jose Salas)- 

With some luck - and a stun gun - he had managed to worm his way to a small room beside Kenzie's without getting caught, the walls blocked a fair amount of their conversation, but he could hear a bit here and there, such as Kenzie getting Bionics, which could be useful. But he'd continue to hide with his ear pressed against the wall, listening in on the group of people on the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back