Where The Law Fails

Luca looked at Kain for a moment with crystalline and in breaking attention. It sounded almost like a joke, convicting his brother over someone else's freedom. Yet, he knew there was hope for himself. Maybe not for Dave, but himself. Kain, too. He had a day to find the man. Another day without rest. Another moment where he challenged his own morals. Ones he broke the night he lost his mother and brother. The blood of a loan shark was on his hands. The man was horrible, sure, but he didn't deserve to die. No one did. Not Dave. Nor Lociato. But neither could enjoy freedom. Kain accepted this. Luca had to. "Last resort...OK. I followed Kenzie for awhile; she's in a vehicle. Bound, by all chances. Brookes put a tracker in her wedding ring and I followed it on his phone. Found a bag with her clothes and the ring. She disappeared. I came here, then. We get Dave, and negotiate her rescue. But not until your leg is good enough to use. Do you know where Dave was headed after the station?"

Kain seemed committed to see this to the end. Beyond Kenzie and himself. Almost enough to take down Dave. But he hesitated, enough to tell Luca. Family bonds were solid, and indicting his brother was trauma enough. [SIZE= 16px]Luca ran a hand over his face, light stubble of dark hair meeting his touch. His eyes were heavy; his limbs leaden. But the fire sparked many years ago was all the vigor he needed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]|•|Angelo Varundar|•|[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]Angelo turned from where his victim dropped into the bay, facing Angela. She was ready to run. Or fight. Very few people could tolerate his brooding nature, and yet she stood as a testimony against that idea. But it was unrequited. Something Angelo long understood. Her thanks didn't change his mind on whether or not she was worth it. She was. Worth much more than what Lociato think she's worth in money. He'd look into the orbs of her eyes, then down to the suitcase. Preparation. She was ready to escape for possibly years. Now, he was the doorway in which she could. He felt a slight moment of being used as a pawn, and turned away, pointing to the bulkhead where his victim came from. "The captain will be up there. Name's Reils. He's a dick, so if you get anything from him, remind him that I'm out here. He lost to me in a card game awhile back. There's a cot up there for the first mate, who's sleepin' with the fishes. I'll be right behind you." A bit of the Italian accent his father had so strongly used broke through as he spoke. An omen of days gone. Where he knew little more than the boxing his illicit dad tried to teach him. Knew only the memory of Luca kicking his ass, time and time again. Luca was Arlo's prodigy, not Angelo. He gripped the handle of the 1911 strictly for a moment out of a pause of sudden anger before sliding it into his pocket. What had become of him? Once so cold and merciless, now wooed by a few words and bitter memories? Nonsense. Angela was good company. A rarity in his line of work. Even if she could get him killed.[/SIZE]

-(Kain & Dave Saunders)- @Milus

"For starters," Kain grunted, laying his palms on the bed and taking another look to his feet. He knew bending his wounded leg wrong would emit unimaginable pain. But he was hasty, despite Luca's warnings. "I'll be okay. Even if I'm on a crutch for a few hours. Kenzie isn't safe. And a gunshot wound isn't going to stop me from saving her and my nephew's lives." It would never sink in completely: Kenzie bared Dave's son. He was going to be an uncle, even biologically. It would haunt him, how he would tell this child about his father. There were many good stories to tell of him, but this bad story runs it all through the mud. Smears his entire reputation. The motivation of helping family and loves ones was enough for the desperate man to let his weight  slip from the cheap hospital mattress and land the tips of his feet onto the ground beneath. Bold, and risky. One the doctor surely wouldn't approve of, but one he had no choice but to take if he wanted to get back into the fight. Luca needed backup for the factory, and it seemed like he was short on allies. He'd try his best to keep the majority of his weight on his left side, the one not injured. His right hand kept a grip on the bed by his side until he felt comfortable holding his own. Standing wasn't too bad, and the minimal pressure on his knee didn't bother him. Walking was going to be a problem. Now with his arms freed, Kain would slowly move his shot legs forward, just an inch ahead of its current position, trying his best not to bend the knee until he felt comfortable. The second step, with his good leg, was easier, but the added mass distribution over his bad leg let him utter a growl of pain. He kept himself up and standing tall, spreading his arms in a form of balance. "Baby steps, pal.... As for Dave's next target....."

He threw his head back, recalling the events of the past hours for any kind of hints, or maybe something more obvious. The call with Nathan, negotiating terms. Though the highlight of that call for him was the sound of his beloved's screams of pain, the words of the madman also lingered. The first order? The station, which was a done deal. But there was another demand: a hospital. The one that all the patients from the first hospital bombing that survived were transferred to. And he knew which it was, thanks to his foster sister being a doctor.... who, herself, worked at the hospital at one point: Eve's Memorial. A glance at a nearby napkin with the hospital's name on it brought the thoughts to mind. With the minimal movements from his feet, he'd turn his frame square in front of his partner.

"Son of a bitch, Luca. This is the target. This hospital here. Kenzie told us on the phone that odds are the survivors of the first hospital bombing were in Eve's Memorial. And that's where we're standing. Dave's going to take this place to kingdom come. I don't know when, but he will..."

"Actually..... Sooner than you think."

A voice that Luca and Kain knew all too well. Behind Luca stood Dave Saunders, Henrikson's federal-issue pistol in hand pointed to the boxer's head. He found them. And this was going down now. Kain's jaw dropped in shock. A few shivers for steps, holding his arms out to keep his weight distributed and not fall back. "B-Brother?"

"Give me the baton, Papa Italiano, and whatever other weapons you have. Or Kain's going to lose more than just Kenzie tonight."

-(Angela Parker)-

"Mmmm..." Angela would nod with each bit of information about the next few hours. A fate that she willingly agreed to and one she'd accept. A form of freedom, maybe one Angelo would join in. "I guess I'll see you onboard, V." With the suitcase in hand, she made her way onto the ramp to the ship. Her facial expression almost unchanged, but a slight smile of approval on her face, her leg strats elegant and classy for a woman of her stature in the bureau. She had no idea what to expect. Angelo couldn't be the only one that was instructed to kill her. Killing, something she didn't have to do often but also one she wouldn't say no to. She had her experience with threatening to take lives.... but never actually did it. The situation never called for her to get her hands dirty personally. Usually it was by assigned hitmen. Sierra. Phil. Among others. Her orders or initiative, someone else's action. But she'd never pull the trigger or shed blood by her own hand. It wouldn't take her long to find the cot that she was told about. She'd stay there to avoid being any kind of center of attention. Keeping low until they arrive at their destination.

Would she ever pull the same stunt Edward did, exposing everything she knew to compromise the ring and taking her own life before Lociato could? Never. She was loyal to the man. But clearly he didn't feel the same. Perhaps it was a way to be the bigger man in this. She'd leave and disappear in peace.

Kain was aching. That much was obvious. As he braced his feet against the floor, Luca pulled his own weight off of the door and stepped close. The extension of Kain's arms kept him from getting to close. It seemed as though he found some balance, using the good leg over the other. Maybe not enough to walk right into the factory, but enough to man the .308. The subtle click and exhalation of breath almost made him turn around until Dave spoke. Kain was looking beyond Luca now and behind him. Dave spoke with force, with certainty. The Italian remembered the trick he pulled back at the basement. It didn't apply in this particular situation. Not enough room and too much time before he could disarm the lunatic. Luca grimaced at the idea of losing the batons, sliding one out and tossing it aside. The other followed suit. He'd then pull the Sig Sauer out barrel first, clicking a lever down to drop the loaded magazine. Pulling back on the receiver while holding down the magazine lever, the handgun showered into individual parts and scattered along the floor. Luca then pulled the simple knife out, bending it backward with powerful wrist strength. The elongated medal end would snap off and fall to the ground. Luca then let go of the wooden handle. Forming his hands into fists, he then spoke with the caged rage he once felt in the basement. Anger, in a pure form. "What the hell do you want." It was a statement. No questioning needed.

|•|Angelo Varundar|•|

Supple limelight of approaching dawn entranced his narrowed eyes as Angelo gripped the railing with white-knuckle force. His cousin, his only family, was out there. Fighting against him. It deeply saddened the killer, for family was once important to him. But he couldn't go back. Angela was too important. Stepping onto waterlogged planks, he entered the captain's bulkhead. A man with a silent disposition, he didn't chatter uselessly with Angela at her cot. Instead, he sat down in the corner and bowed his head. A perpetual gift to break into a deep slumber whenever time allowed. The ties holding the boat down were loosened as its cargo sailed off to Hispanic lands. Enough slaves to keep Lociato in decent business until he could salvage his operations. Payday was soon. Money to provide for both of them, now that Angela needed to disappear. Something he could provide, enough smarts in that field. He couldn't trust anyone but her.

What a great idea for a honeymoon.

-(Dave & Kain Saunders)- @Milus

"Simple," Dave explained as his captive discarded his weapons. "You two need to die if Kenzie is to live. And unfortunately that choice is obvious for me."

Kain, still a bit dumbfounded from how his brother was pointing a weapon at him after all this time, attempted to call him out. "And if you do that, will she ever look at you the same way again? You think she'll ever forgive you if you tell her that you killed me?" Kenzie meant something to both of the brothers in their own sick manner. There was some viewpoint for Dave, somehow, some way. Kain just had to reach out for it.

"Doesn't matter. This hospital is going down, and it's one step closer to saving her. And you two, plus Henrikson and Cooper, are all going down with it. I just wanted to give you two the benefit of the doubt that you know your fate. And seeing your condition, Kain, it doesn't seem like you'll be escaping ground zero any time soon."

If there was any time the injured man had to run, it was now. He just needed to change his outfit from the standard hospital gown to normal clothing. He couldn't do that with the gun at his direction. Attacking Dave would be difficult for him. Luca? Much easier. And he was more than capable of subduing his brother. "You should really hear yourself, Dave. You sound like a complete clone of Nathan Wells. Maybe even worse in some right."

"Awww, well boo-hoo," he sarcastically would cry, gripping his weapon tightly and swinging at the back of Luca's head. It certainly wasn't enough to knock him out, but enough to send him to the ground. He then pointed the gun in his brother's direction, the barrel right in the middle of his eyes. "Well from what I've discovered, you're no better when it comes to being a heartless son of a bitch...... Kasper."

Kain's heart sank. The alias, the one linking matter between him and the monster he'd tamed. How the hell did his brother know the secret?! He never told anyone, except Nathan, but did he really get word out to Dave THAT quickly? No way. His arms still spread slightly, Kain looked down to Luca, eyes darted out, his lower jaw shaking from his secret out in the open. He didn't want his partner to know about this other half of him. He looked to his brother, frightened and arms vibrating. No turning back now. "Dave.... how....where did...."

"Your signature on the back of those bodies. That K and A. I know it from anywhere. That's how you write with your left hand....... did you know bigmouth Reynolds also knew? If he weren't dead right now, he'd probably have spread it to everyone we knew. And guess who also knew? ...... Yeah. Kenzie. She knew the second I knew. And even though she hasn't been able to look at you the same way this past month, she's the only reason I didn't tell Chief Brookes and book your ass."

"You'd take away the man that your foster sister loves, that easily?"

"Nothing personal, Kain. Just business...." He glanced down to Luca on the ground. "Bet my brother left that out of his job description, right Champ? Yeah. Before he met you, he brutally tortured and murdered three veteran cops in cold blood. All for his sick enjoyment."

"There was a higher purpose. I didn't kill them senselessly like you did."

"Senselessly?! I killed them for Kenzie!"

"I killed them for the truth about Mom and Dad! Those three cops were dirty, bought out! Probably by Lociato and Brookes! And they knew how to keep their mouths shut, unlike Anderson. That's why I went as far as I did! Because nobody would believe me, and when I tried to do this the right way, Eddy nailed me for it! What was I supposed to do?!"

"Gave you no right to kill those three men. Or anyone. Do you have any idea how Kenzie sees you now that she knows this truth? And she's known for a month. Do you think she'd ever love you with that in mind?"

No answer. Despite how forgiving he knew his foster sister was, he had no clue how she'd take it if she ever knew his skeletons. But it seemed like she knew all along. He couldn't even tell anymore. He could only mumble, "I'm sorry, Luca.... I'm sorry I never told you sooner. But he's telling the truth. I killed those three cops. Robbed me of whatever innocence I had left in me. Made me ruthless. That razor blade trick on Anderson? I did similar things, and even worse, to three other cops before we even met.... I'm... I'm sorry. If I had a choice, I don't think I'd do it again..... because being around you... It changed me. I think if we'd met sooner I would've never killed them. I know you don't believe me, but I really don't have anything but my word anymore..." An honest truth. Luca's wisdom and experience rubbed off on Kain, and in a good way. Maybe too much, but it served as another viewpoint for the ex cop. And perhaps if they'd met sooner, things would've been different. But would Luca forgive him? Understand why he did what he did?

Dave chuckled, almost in satisfaction. A quick movement, he grabbed his brother's right shoulder with his left hand and pushed him onto the bed. Kain was able to fumble on without bending his knee incorrectly and land belly first on the cushion. He took a few steps back and positioned his weapon to point at both men. "Have fun with your regrets in hell. Both of you. And don't try to evacuate the hospital. Or I will detonate it with all of us inside."

-(Angela Parker)- @Milus (A continuation from the previous post, I just wasn't awake enough for it.)

Upon her partner's entry, Angela initially didn't speak. Angelo didn't seem in the mood. She respected that. His job was a demanding one. As did hers. The difference was that she could go home and be herself. A break from the chaos. It didn't seem like the bald man did, though. Rarely did the two have time for small talk. It was always business. But seeing the dirty fed was out of it, there really was no holds barred. Maybe she could start over with him. That is if he wanted........ A good ten minutes of rest had passed, and the woman had the itching curiosity to attempt a conversation opener. See how open Varundar was to a life together.

"Do you ever think about an end, V? I mean, beyond Lociato. When his ring collapses, or he is superseded by a man who doesn't require your services.... Where would you go? What would you do?"

Last edited by a moderator:
-(Nathan Wells)- @Quiet Is Violent

"Don't worry, we'll look for your friends." Nathan assures, really wanting to make use of a gun, he didn't need a brat messing with him, like they had before. But no, he'd put up with it, as long as she didn't try to stop him, she'd remain bullet-free. "Now that you're here, I don't need the explosives anymore." he says, not exactly lying. "You can do what you want with 'em." He stands up from his kneeling position and outstretches a hand. "Where do you think your friends might be?"

-(Aaron Stilinski/Jose Salas)- @Shaba7

"I don't care, you piss yourself, and you two will be the ones sitting in it, the truck is going to get blown up after we're done with it, preferably with Mr God-complex over there inside." Jose says, not the slightest bit of concern in his voice, his mind begins to wander, thinking about what he'd be doing when he dropped the bitch off and decided what to do with the info-broker, maybe see if Nate will be free, he's been too busy as of late, but eh, the man had his reasons.

-(Kenzie Brookes)- @Altair1303

Jose kept bringing up negative comments about Aaron. It only struck Kenzie's curiosity: what did Nathan want from him? Maybe she could ask? He didn't seem comfortable with the conversation, but her personality was amicable enough. "Um.... Aaron...?" She was going to approach this politely. Not attack him. "Why do I get a hunch you did a little bit more than stumble upon a file you shouldn't have?" She wasn't going to judge him for it. Rather try to reason wtih him. Make him feel some form of comfort or support.

-(Aaron Stilinski)- @Shaba7

"Maybe a few files?" he says, inside he was boiling, he couldn't have this, couldn't let it continue, yet at the same time was powerless to stop the man from revealing his misdeeds, and once that happened, he was sure Kenzie would be in favour of his death, and it wasn't his time to go, it couldn't be. "And then I decided to sell it to a few people..." he says, twisting the truth slightly to suit him better, mention nothing about Nathan or Dave and he might be able to get through this alive.

"Pretty sure it a little bigger than that to go this far...." Reading people, Kenzie's specialty. Perhaps she should've specialized in psychology instead... But it wasn't hard to tell that Aaron was less than truthful. Afraid, too. Some reassurance should help him open up. She leaned her head forward and whispered, so Jose doesn't hear, "Come on, help me so I can help you. Whatever you found about Nathan clearly pissed him off. My father may be dead, but I still have some of his influence. If you were doing something against the law, I can probably get the governor on your side. Some of the best lawyers in Seattle, too. But give me something I can take to the higher-ups...." But he wouldn't believe that if his fate was death. "Aaron, I won't let him kill you. I'm going to do whatever I can to get us both out of here. But if we're going to do this, I need to know what exactly landed you here. I will not judge you, whatever it is, just tell me yourself. I'd rather hear it from you than him." She leaned her head in the driver's direction at the end of her sentence. She really wanted to know what he was doing here. Unaware HE was the reason SHE was here.

He could work with this, most definitely, the idea worked, for the most part. "I figured out who he was." Aaron begins, faking a look of defeat, acting as if he were giving in to her questioning. "Found out where he grew up, got a list of his arrests, helped make the connections that opened the Nathan Wells-Magician connection." This was all true, but Kenzie would have to try harder to get him to cough up the story of him assisting Nate.

Aaron's words seemed believable enough. Kenzie knew precious little about Nathan's past. Her involvement in his war in general was rather forced. This man seemed like a freelancer. Selling secrets. Finding things he shouldn't. A typical grey hat hacker. He probably had a skeleton or two in the closet. She had a hunch. But it was probably irrelevant. But why was he still breathing in that case? "You were trying to do the right thing. And if you take any of the fallout from this, be sure i will do what i can to defend your case. Just follow my lead." She kept her head by the hackers ear and fakes a few whispers. She lifted her head back to her sitting position. Her next words were aloud, now directed to Jose. "You told me you have someone special, right? What would you do if Nathan asked you to capture him right now? Torture him. Leave him for dead. Do you think he'd ever forgive you? In this life or the next? Would you beat him, drug him, cut off a finger or two? As cold as you are, i saw with Ian that the thought of your own in danger kills....... Aaron has a father. I have a brother. So lets stop this game of verbal tennis and you let us both go. Torch the van and say Aaron was inside. Nathan won't know the difference. I think the kid's learned his lesson anyway. Just look at his face. He's going to wet himself before my bladder gives. So lets put this behind us. And we can all go home to our families. Something tells me you secretly want that."

"Argument isn't that good, Nathan isn't that big of a masochist" Jose says, showing as little interest as he can while feeding the little snippets of their previous whisperings that he had understood to his phone via text, their talking was getting annoying, maybe he could convince Nathan to let him make Aaron overdose, then just have Kenzie put under for a few hours, long enough to leave her in the slums, time would tell. Aaron was rather perplexed by Jose's declaration, he had never pegged Wells as gay, but in all honesty, he hadn't seen him with many women either, He'd wait and see...

Kenzie was equally lost. Perhaps there was more to Nathan and Jose than meets the eye. Something of use for later to get in his head But she kept her mouth shut about it. "This isn't an argument. I hate fighting. This is more like a peaceful negotiation. I'm not raising my voice or trying to intimidate you. I just want you to see things the way I see them." She sighed before continuing with her point. "There is a certain value to human life. Maybe Nathan doesn't see it. Maybe he never will. But there's always a chance that you can. Tell me, if your beloved was facing certain death, you'd definitely do whatever you can to help. Right? That's what Kain's doing for me now. That's what someone is probably doing for Aaron." She wasn't sure of the last part, only saying it to make her argument more convincing. "I'm begging you. Take us both out of our misery. Dave is going to blow up the hospital. No doubt. So that means you'll release us anyway. So please, do it from now." If her mind games weren't enough to piss him off, the constant talking would be. And she didn't care at this point. Anything for a reaction.

"I don't care." Jose says firmly, as if Kenzie hadn't been hearing him. "I do as Nathan says, no question." He says, grasping the bridge of his nose between finger and thumb. "The info-broker doesn't have anyone, we approached his family with a ransom notice, they didn't want to pay." Jose explains, telling the truth, Aaron knew it, but didn't let his internal devastation show. "Besides, if it weren't for him, Nathan wouldn't have had a clue about your kid, or the vast majority of what he has on Dave, he's why you're here." The man says quickly using his right hand to pull out a small stack of photographs and drop them to the floor, kicking them back to the duo's seating, Kenzie would probably be able to pick the paper up and see the printed emails and texts, revealing Aaron as the snake Jose and Nate knew him to be.

Kenzie almost didn't believe what Jose was saying at first, even with all the 'playing both sides' and 'god complex' name calling from earlier. But then he tossed the evidence to the back within her reach. In her position, she was able to lean in and pick up the stack of pictures and files. A lot to take in, but she really didn't have anything better to do. First thing she noticed was her hospital test results when she went behind Phil and Dave's backs for a paternity test. Ones that were supposedly confidential and off the record. A quick glance at Aaron, then back to the files. Assortments of emails and texts between him and Nathan describing nitty gritty details about her history, as well as her father and foster brothers. Details of sending an encrypted phone to stalk them and send them eerie messages. She could only shake her head in disbelief, but didn't exhibit any kind of reaction yet. A text message detailing that they'd be at her deceased husband's workplace, burning their location. This man had access to so much about her. And god only knows what else he dug up.

"Please tell me this isn't true, Aaron...." she held out each individual paper in Aaron's direction in such a way that he'd recognize the files. Her voice made it clear she felt betrayed. Hurt. If this were true, he was staring at the man who endangered her life. Who made her brother lose himself. Who probably killed her son. "Tell me that you didn't put me and my family at risk. Tell me that I wasn't kidnapped and tortured because of you. That my brother wasn't turned into a MURDERER because of you!"

But the evidence was clear cut. No explanation could justify his actions, and no lie could mask them.

The smooth linoleum of white tile met Luca's calloused hands as his skull began to thud rhythmically where the gun barrel smacked his temple. Blurred vision threatened to close into darkness, but he resisted. Dave spoke of his and Kain's regrets. And yet, was he smoothed over by his acts of violence? Was Dave unaware of the devastation that he'd cause Kenzie by killing Kain? Maybe he was aware. Ma
ybe Dave became self-centered. The ringing in his ears subsided as Dave continued to speak. About three cops. And Kain's involvement. He almost didn't believe it until Kain replied back with his apology. A bitter taste was left in his mouth at the sound of his confession. Three cops dead, because of a hunch? Was there something genetically screwed up with the Saunders? Kain spoke of revelation, that Luca changed him for the better. It was a big topic, a topic for later. Dave was his top priority, posing a threat and with much more blood on his hands. He couldn't stand up without getting shot and Dave put distance between the two. Kain faced Dave and kept the gunman on his toes between the two. Luca pictured how long it would take for him to move his gun, take aim, and fire. Not long given his police background. The metal blade from him cheap knife layer flat against his belly, and he had an arm tucked under his weight. Coiling his fingers around it, he braced his palms against the tile and pushed his feet up on the end of his toes. With an extraordinary push of force, he bounced backward and spun with the blade in hand. The unsupported metal did little other than slide from his grasp, simply driving an open hand against Dave's face. Using his left hand, he gripped the thickened wrist of the cop and yanked the gun under his armpit. Closing his arm over the forearm, he twisted his body and slammed a right fist into the same spot he slapped moments ago. Releasing the gun hand, he brought a chop down with his right hand once more upon the gun itself. Loosening the grip around the handle, he threw his entire body at the hand and pulled it from Dave's grasp, rolling on the ground with the gun coiled in hand.

(Like I said, a one paragraph, shorter post so the Kain Vs. Dave conflict could have room)

|•|Angelo Varundar|•|

Whether it was a small amount of time or hours, Angelo's sleep was on edge as much as himself. The questioning voice of his female counterpart Angela snapped him like ice and brought his mind to attention. She was asking a personal question, a want rather than a need. Perhaps she was warming up to the idea of sinking into Mexico like the slaves. It was a question V had asked himself for a long time, ever since Lociato began to lose his assets, slowly, like a painful death. Funny, the only analogies the killer could make involved suffering. He came a far way from the teen who lifted necklaces from studio apartments. Would Lociato end up like his former employer, Commissar? No, he doubted that. The Russian died because Lociato payed Varundar much more for the man's life. Not many other kingpins knew of Angelo or his efficiency. His money flow would go away with Lociato. Course, once all of this was over, he would make a personal vow to end the man's life. Not because of moral retribution, but simply because of the amounts of times Lociato liquidated his accounts. But after that? "Angela, you're going to have to hide for the rest of your life. Even after Lociato, the Feds have you tagged. Wherever you want to go and disappear, I'll follow. I was never the suave type. No, it's just that after Lociato, my career is gone for awhile. I got some separate accounts with a good deal of money. We'll be safe. What can I do? This is all I know. Killing and extorting for profit. You...you have a future. I'll ensure that you live to see it. Maybe not the most ambitious plan after Lociato, but I'm happy with it."

-(Nathan Wells)- @Quiet Is Violent (All good, I'll take the chance you've given me here.)

'Fuck it, I don't need the girl weighing me down, Anna's gone, Liana's too much trouble.' As soon as the thought passes through his head, he reaches towards his belt and points it forward, giving the girl minimal time to react before thudding bullets into her body, he stares her dead in the eye as she falls back, drowning out any sounds she'd make until she hits the floor, sickening sounds reverberating through his head. Stricken with dizziness, he forces himself to his feat and falls backwards, hitting a wooden structure with his back, the feeling of bile rising in his stomach.

For the first time in forever, was he actually sickened by his actions? couldn't be... But it didn't matter, using the wood as a helper, he gets to his feet, twitching in a mixture of sickness and rage. He had to snap out of it, he moves forward, kicking Liana's corpse in anger, before stumbling off towards his home, he was going to be sick.

But atleast that was one less weakness to be exploited...

-(Jose Salas/Aaron Stilinski)- @Shaba7

Aaron could do nothing in his own defense, instead just bowing his head in what could be seen as shame, he'd lost his chance, he was fucked. She'd been given everything, by the looks of it. Inside he was fuming, he was beaten down but he could totally work with this, plead for a chance in prison, play on Kenzie's higher morals... This was not what he had planned for, so far from what he wanted, and it was all his fault. Was the shit they hammered into your during preschool correct? crime certainly paid, but Aaron didn't have any of the money he had gotten stolen for him when he needed it, he certainly had cheated the game, and he wasn't prospering, could he have failed worse than ever anticipated? probably, but he still had time, his head wasn't rolling on the floor. He could work with this...

"Nathan says you can choose what happens to the techie, says the reveal was 'delicious'" Jose chuckles, more to himself than the two equally livid people in the back of the truck. Things were working out fine, the phone buzzes momentarily, a signal that he'd gotten a text, checking it, Jose was greeted with the lead-battered body of Liana,the scene was suprising, but it made sense quickly, at least the kind of the sense that Nathan supplied him with. The girl made Nate weak and got in the way, perfect sense.

He'd quickly close out of the phone, he might use the image at some point, maybe as a parting gift to fuck with Kenzie more, he'd wait for his chance, smiling quietly to himself.

-(Kain & Dave Saunders)- (OOC: Long post warning) @Milus

Luca’s sudden movement caught Dave off guard. Falling for a sneak attack once more. Upon contact and losing grip of his weapon, he flinched, understandably, but was ready to defend himself, rather than give up without a fight. He’d lost a standoff with the boxer once before. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Honor was something Dave held very highly, as a distinguished cop. Yet what honor did he have left apart from being a disgrace to his old self? To the people he could call family? Edward and Kenzie. Both would be disappointed despite their affiliations. Neither would’ve ever wanted this. But moreso Kain. His brother, who was ready to stop him at all costs.

A fair enough distraction, but was Kain in good enough health to duel his brother once again? He was bested earlier, only because he was caught off guard. This time? He was prepared for a fight even with his knee. Moreover, Dave’s arrest meant Kenzie’s innocence ensured. His brother for his sweetheart. This wasn’t an easy choice to make. But after the elder’s decisions these past few hours, it seemed clearer. Justice, as Edward Brookes would always call it. And it was to be delivered, one way or another. His knife was nearby on the bedside, within reach. With the diversion, Kain had to act just as fast. A quick reach to the hilt of the blade, and, using his left leg as lead, he made what seemed like a hybrid of a skip and a jump in Dave’s direction, moving past Luca and grabbing his brother’s neck. A few careful steps, and he pinned the older, larger brother against the wall, the sharp end of the oriental weapon pointing at the base of the man’s neck.

“This ends now, Dave,” Kain snared. “Nobody else dies. Not us. Not you. Not anyone in this hospital.”

“If I don’t do this, Kenzie’s as good as dead.”

“And if you do, you’ll deprive her of whatever’s left of her family. We are all she has, Davey! You’re prepared to take away the last thing she hold near and dear? You want her to raise her…… YOUR son alone?!”

“There is no going back! She has to raise her son alone! Not with me, and certainly not with a psychopath like you!”

Psychopath. Maybe Kain was in fact. But he was a psychopath with a cause. Dave was simply chasing a ghost. “If that’s how you feel… if that means you have to die to preserve innocent lives, to make sure the woman we grew up with still has someone to love, then so be it.”

Dave had had enough of the small talk, and left Kain with an elevated knee to the stomach. His reaction to the blow loosened his grip on the fatter man’s neck and left him room to stand up properly. A clenched fist, one that he lunged back to drive over Kain’s less-blackened eye from earlier, and it gave him enough room to attempt escape. But Kain was still physically superior, even while wounded. As his brother took off for the hallway, the younger vigilante followed with a sprint. Light on his feet, he was able to do it without feeling any immediate pain. Bending his knee was progressively becoming easier. Doctor was right about him making a quick recovery. A few meters out of the hallway, and it was enough for Kain to catch up. Though he was quick and agile, strong not as much. It’s why he depended on sharp objects. Razor blades. Steak knives. And now something more professional. Except when he caught up, he grabbed the back of his brother’s janitor get-up and pulled him back. He was holding what looked like a remote detonator. It didn’t seem like it were armed yet, judging by the screen. A relief. Flipping the tanto the other way in his hand, he pulled back with the knife in hand and swung it at his brother’s head in such a way that the blunt force of the hilt would strike the side of his head. Enough to halt his escape. Dave stumbled to his left against the wall, but didn’t want to give up, despite the pain. He felt the side of his head; with little hair there, he could feel the newly created cut on his skull. It wasn’t the force or strength Kain dealt, but rather the damage that knife of his could do. As he shook off the pain, before he could counter-attack, it gave Kain enough time to slam the flat end of his knife onto the center of his brother’s forehead, pushing him back further into the wall. With the diversion, the little brother grabbed the sides of the bald man’s head. Despite his weight, Kain could maneuver Dave’s body very easily. He bent his elbows to lure his subject’s head into his shoulder, then tossed it against a nearby glass barrier blocking a fire extinguisher. Head first into glass, Dave then collapsed, feeling the weakness from the continuous blows to the head. Almost a dizzy feeling. His brother was no pushover. He’d underestimated him. Perhaps it was his desire to save Kenzie that brought this out of him. But the sounds of their grunts, screams, punches, and shattered glass certainly didn’t go unnoticed. Every doctor and nurse in the hallway crawled out of their stations to watch the fight in action. Nobody approached though. They all kept their distance. Most of them would recognize the brothers from the constant stories about them running in the news. The Saunders. They were a dangerous bunch. No doubt Luca was watching over too. But this was personal. Kain wanted to take out his brother himself. On his terms.

“Oh my god, where’s that federal agent? Henrikson or something? Someone go find him!” a nurse called from the crowd.

It didn’t bother Kain much to know that Henrikson would be en route. He delivered Dave. This would save Kenzie’s life. Dave, on the other hand, wouldn’t be so fortunate. All the little brother had to do was keep the older man subdued until backup arrives. Kain would kick his brother, but he’s already one leg short. Risking it wasn’t an option. Slowly, he brought himself down to Dave’s level on the ground, prepared to give him another blow. Sharp or blunt? That was the choice. But Dave beat him to it. He noticed Kain’s leg through the hospital gown, wrapped in gauze. A weak spot. He extended his right leg and let it charge into his brother’s wounded leg. It brought the younger brother to the ground, howling in pain. The doctor wasn’t kidding about taking it easy or it would get worse. This hurt like hell. He fell to his back on the ground, gripping his knee from the pain. Probably worse than the bullet itself. He still had a hold of his knife, but he was useless until the Feds showed up. He noticed his older brother crawl over him, delivering one more punch to his cheekbone. A less painful blow than the one to the leg.

“That hurts, doesn’t it, brother?” Dave mocked, moving his left knee as to press it with the full force of his overweight body onto the injury.

Kain couldn’t help but scream even louder. It felt as if his brother were shattering the bone in its place by weight alone and it was only becoming worse. He had a knife. He could finish his brother here and now. It would also end his suffering. But something was stopping him… Dave was the last of his biological family. Sure, he had Kenzie, who felt like family as well, but Dave’s been there for him since the beginning. Days ago, things might’ve been different. Now? He couldn’t even imagine killing his brother, not for anything in the world, no matter what disagreements they might’ve had. He loved his brother, despite whatever infidelity he might’ve expressed in the past. He couldn’t be the one to take his life.

“Why are you doing this, Dave?!” Kain let out a few words between the wails. “This isn’t you! The brother I knew and loved would never do this!”

“That man is gone, Kain,” the older brother shook his head, a maniacal smile taking over his face. Dave was long gone. Probably worse than Kasper could ever be. Kasper had a purpose. Dave had become a senseless killer. Just like Nathan Wells. As if he were brainwashed with no hope of return. “Get used to the new one while you’re still alive.”

Maybe the brother he knew and loved was still there. The pain was dying down as Dave took his weight off his knee, letting him talk normally. “What happened to the brother who got me through every day for the last 15 years with a sense of hope? The man who set an example for everyone? The cop that everyone loved? The older brother I looked up to and admired? The man who told me that everything was going to be okay when I didn’t think there would be?”

Kain’s words did mean something to the old Dave. Touching. And it even caused this new rendition to hesitate before taking further action.

“You told me so long ago that there was hope for better days… and they came, Dave. And they can still happen. We’ve both made mistakes, but we can still rectify them. Even you. You don’t have to listen to Wells. We can find another way to get Kenzie back. Sesler’s been chasing a lead.” He avoided calling him Luca in this situation. Too many people around that could put two and two together. “We’ve got something to go on. We can find her. Escape together. Keep her and your son safe. Believe me, I want that just as much as you do. And all we have to do is stop.” It felt unusual for Kain to be the one providing words of wisdom, but necessary in this case. A daring next move: he retracted the blade of the tanto and let it drop from his fingertips. Surrender? Or is it the fact he knew he could break his brother? “Darkness… it’s not a pretty thing to have in you. I’ve learned that, and I found a way to let it out. Keep it out. I know you can too. Kasper would’ve killed you in that room without hesitation… but Kain wouldn’t dream of it. And seeing that I’m still alive… Something tells me Dave wouldn’t kill his brother either. Let’s end this. Let there be better days to come. You. Me. Kenzie. And your son. We can do it together. We’ve got a chance. So let’s take it.”

Déjà vu…. Not just because Dave had heard these words before. Because they were in parallel to words that he, himself, told Kain 14 years ago… (Flashback below, read if you want)

14 YEARS AGO

It’d been one year since the brothers’ parents died. A year living with Edward and Kenzie. A year to let the tragic life-changing events sink in. Scars heal, but don’t completely go away. And the boys were a perfect exhibition of such. Kain despondent as ever. Dave maturing faster than he should mentally. Loss did very different things to these youngsters. At least they weren’t bouncing between foster homes now that Brookes gave them a roof to live under.

Their parents were provided with a proper burial, despite their shady backstories. And a year later, the police chief decided to take his larger family to visit. He had his own regrets, being the man who put them both in the ground. A time to reflect for everyone. Despite how this wasn’t the actual funeral day, he dressed himself and the boys in black suits, his daughter in a black sweater and skirt as well (the only formality the moody 13 year old girl would accept). The four stood over the grave and just looked down at the engravings of these two names over tombstones.

“Kain… Dave…” Young Kenzie would begin, “I-I’m so sorry. I was rude to you two when you came into our home because…” A sniffle came from her nose as she spoke, “…because I never understood what happened. Now it makes sense. You… you didn’t deserve whatever I told you two.” Tears in her eyes, she’d turn around to her foster brothers and embrace them. While Kain didn’t respond a great deal to it, Dave did, gripping her tightly.

“Thank you, Kenzie,” the older brother would reassure. “It means a lot to me. To us.”

“Nobody understands…” Kain would utter, keeping his eyes on the two blocks of stone in the ground. “Nobody ever will.”

As Kenzie let go of her brothers, she took a step back, facing Kain to answer him. “Some people do. Believe me. And you’re lucky you have your brother to do relate to.” Her next words were directed to both brothers. “You two are all you have left. If there’s anyone that’ll understand, it’s your other half… just, in case you ever feel alone.” Even at age 13, Kenzie still had a sense of wisdom to her personality. And it showed with the brothers. Her words might’ve served as a beacon of hope.

Her father overheard their conversation. He figured the brothers needed some time together to discuss how they felt about their past. He’d tap his daughter’s shoulder and tell her, “Kenz… let’s give the boys some alone time. They know where to find the car.” Either way, staring at the graves of the two people he killed a year was painful for him, too. But he didn’t have much of a choice at that point.

The teenage girl complied, following her father away from the two tombstones, but couldn’t help but look back to the two boys from time to time. They felt like her own brothers. Sometimes even more. Little did she know they would mean more in the future.

Now with the floor to themselves, Kain collapsed to his knees at the center of the two tombstones. He wasn’t going to cry, no. He’d shed enough tears. And he was too shocked to weep further. He just stared into emptiness, almost senselessly. Noticing his brother’s actions, Dave followed in suit, on his knees and his arm around his brother’s shoulders. “Brother… she’s right. The best people to understand what we’ve become is each other. People will come and go in our lives, but our brotherhood is eternal. It’s forever, even death can’t end that.”

“Death ended Mommy and Daddy…” Kain’s voice showed very little emotion, but the occasional cracks due to his own developing maturity.

“No. No it didn’t. Mommy and Daddy are still with us…” His other hand reached forward, over Kain’s chest. “Within us. And they wouldn’t want us to stay this way. They’d want us to push forward. And be the best men we can.”

Kain didn’t immediately respond. He looked down to Dave’s hand over his body. Almost comforting. A feeling of relief. “B-But Dave…”

“There will be better days, brother. Each day ahead of us better than the one before it. And it can only happen if we move forward. Together.”

A bit of a struggle to speak. His head was overloaded with emotions. Sorrow. But a bit of love and understanding, too. “Better days…”

“Yes. Better days. Living in our own darkness will do nothing but bring us down. So let’s put it behind us. Move forward for better days to come. You. Me. Kenzie. And Chief Brookes. Together. The Chief is giving us a chance to be the best men we can be. So let’s take it.”

As impromptu as his words were, they reached Kain in a way that nobody could imagine. Words he’d never forget. Better days were to come. It would get tough, and people will come and go. But his brother was here to stay. A look into his brother’s eyes. Young Kain could see himself, a lighter version of his darker self. An extension of his arms over his brother’s shoulders, and Kain couldn’t hold back the tears any further. Dave followed the hug. The comfort warmed both brothers’ hearts. Dave could hear the muffled sounds of his brother’s wishes, “I love you, Dave.”

A smile spread over Dave’s face, knowing he got through to his otherwise depressed, unresponsive brother. “I love you too, Kain.”

Kain didn’t forget that day, much like many other memorable days of his life. And that’s what struck Dave. Broke his heart. Almost brought him to tears. A bit of hesitation struck the two, looking each other in the eyes. Almost a reflection. Except this time, the darkness was in Dave, and the light in Kain. And Dave noticed this. His fists uncoiled, he reached forward to Kain’s shoulders, propped him up into a sitting position, and held him in a tight embrace. His shaky voice let out the words, “Forgive me, brother. I’m… I’m so sorry.”

The younger brother reciprocated. The brotherly comfort touched them both, and probably the bystanders around them. “Trust me, I do. And I’m sure that with this, Kenzie would forgive you too.”

“I-I’ll do it,” the older brother continued, almost without warning as he lifted his head from Kain’s shoulder, the brothers now facing each other in their conversation, but Dave’s voice lowered slightly. “I’ll turn myself in. I overheard your conversation with Henrikson. You have to turn me or Sesler in for Kenzie’s freedom. And I’m not letting Sesler take the fall for your actions… And I’m not letting you take the fall for Kasper’s either.”

Kain could understand everything in Dave’s sacrificial motives… except for the part about Kasper. In an equally low voice, he inquired, “W-Wait… what do you…”

“Kain, I’m going to serve 15 life sentences plus my time for the station massacre. Three cops’ deaths added on to that won’t make any difference. Let me tell them I was Kasper. It’ll officially clear your name. And you and Kenzie can start over. Live your lives normally”

“Dave, we can get you out of this. I’m not letting you take the fallout for anything. We can all get through this. Us, Kenz, and Sesler. Just let me talk to…”

“No. There’s no salvaging what I’ve done… I’m taking the fall for everything you’ve done. Everything Kasper’s done… And also…”

“Also…?”

It pained him to say, but he had to get it out. He’d find out soon enough. “Director Henrikson… he’s…”

He didn’t have to finish the sentence for Kain to pick up what went down. But it wasn’t important. “Brother, whatever you’ve done to whoever, we can argue you did it all under duress. We’ll lawyer you up, do what we can to reduce the sentence.”

“This is my decision, Kain. A decision that’ll set you free. My last gift to you, to find your peace. To find the son of a bitch that killed Mom and Dad.”

Possibly a grim, inevitable reality, it began to sink in. But one he’d try his best to alleviate. Shaking his head, Kain continued, “I’m not letting you go. Whatever happens, I’ll be there for you. Don’t you forget that.”

Dave proceeded to what seemed as if they were his final wishes before he went to prison for the rest of his life. “Eddy’s dead. You’re all Kenzie has left. Keep her and her son safe. And I don’t want that boy to grow up knowing his father was a mass murderer… I know he’s your nephew, but… I want you to raise that boy saying that you’re his father.”

It was the first time Kain heard about Brookes’s death. He suspected something happened before he went into surgery, but nobody told him. But that wasn’t his concern at the moment. Edward was a dead man anyway, if it weren’t by his own hand, it’d be Lociato’s. “And dishonor your memory? I can’t do that.”

“It’s already tarnished. No going back. And I want that boy knowing his father was a good man with a clean record. Like you. I know you don’t like the idea, but do it for me. Please. Consider it my dying wish. Don’t deny me of it.”

Kain never envisioned himself as a father. Might be because he only felt that way about Kenzie, and he feared intimacy with her like the plague. “Fine. I’ll tell him I’m his father. Is there anything else you want?”

Dave thought over his past. All the things he regretted. Anything he’d want to make peace with. “There’s a little girl. Her name is Liana Price. Messed up in the head, probably schizophrenic. Our apartment got blown up and she might’ve been inside. Can you at least see to it she gets a proper burial? Despite what you might hear about her, she’s just a kid who didn’t know better.”

“Done. I’ll find her. Anything else?”

“Wayne’s wife. I wanted to see her myself after this mess, but I don’t think I’ll get a chance. Tell her that her husband died a hero. Because despite how much of an ass he was, he was still a good cop.”

“Will do.”

“Trish. Make sure she’s safe and out of town. The law’s failing us, so whatever custody the Feds have her under could crumble. And there’s always a chance that Lociato might’ve gotten to her. She’s Sierra’s daughter, and the damn guy’s paranoid. But I have my doubts. Just… make sure, please?”

“She’s like family, of course I will.”

“That woman from the port with you the other night. She’s looking for blood. Your blood. I took my anger out on her. She made the connection between us, and she wants you dead as a form of revenge. Watch yourself.”

Vadalia. No surprise. She never liked him from the start. But would she kill him with Luca on his side? Would Luca LET her kill him? “Got it.”

“And Nathan Wells. I don’t care what you think about killing now. But he needs to die. After what he’s done to us all. He needs to take a dirt nap. And when you do… there’s a PI in downtown named John Sullivan. Tell him that the man he’s been hunting for so long is dead. Wells ruined his life, much like he did ours. Sully and his wife deserve to know that justice will be served.”

“Believe me, Nathan will pay for everything he’s done to us. With or without you around. And turning your back on him for what’s right? That’s just the start.”

“Thank you, brother…” The two brothers, hand in hand, helped themselves up to their feet. Despite the pain in his knee, Kain could still stand up and walk. Temporary pain, thankfully, but it killed. The many people around them simply watched over as the Saunders family faced each other, smiling in some unusual satisfaction. “Now… where’s that partner Henrikson had around?”

As if in the nick of time, Cooper approached from behind, pistol in hand, pointing to the brothers. “He’s here.” his voice echoed, bitter and livid as it got closer. Both brothers turned in the federal agent’s direction. Dave to the left, Kain to the right, their hands were in one another, fingers interlocked side by side. Kain wasn’t going to let go so easily.

“I got you my brother,” he explained. “He’s turning himself in peacefully.”

Cooper made his advance, taking tactical steps to become within breathing distance of the brothers. “Hands up, con.”

“He’s not letting go of me,” Kain barked back. “Peaceful surrender means no guns or cuffs. Especially from a man of the law. Only protocol, right?”

Now close enough to Dave with the pistol pointed at his heart, Cooper shook his head in disapproval of Kain’s assertion. “We found Jeff… you suffocated him…” The last part was directed to Dave, who let out no reaction or response. He knew what he did, aware of the repercussions. Just a blank face and a stare into the second in command’s eyes. Cooper tilted his head, trying to mask his fury, but his watered eyes told the story. “I took a bullet for that man a day ago. Then you take him from me……… Fuck protocol, Kain.”

Without any kind of warning sign or hesitation, Cooper pulled the trigger, discharging a bullet directly in the center of Dave’s chest, knocking the formerly respected cop to the ground instantly, his weight leaving a thud audible throughout the hallway. Kain’s hand still in his brother’s, he went down with his brother in a split second reaction to what he’d just witnessed. “NO! DAVE!” he screamed at the sight of his brother collapse to the ground with little warning. He wrapped his arms around the man’s neck, holding his head up straight as red fluid leaked from the top of Dave’s belly, and a puddle dripping beneath. “No, no, no, Dave, you’re not dying on me. YOU’RE NOT DYING ON ME!”

Cooper took a few steps back from the brothers, holstering his weapon. His work was through. Dave lay in his brother’s arms, coughing out a bit of blood to drip from his lip down his cheek. He looked to his brother in his final moments, his true final words as his life was slowly flashing before his eyes. “K-K-Kain…. I’m… done… Find Kenzie… K-Keep her safe… P-Please…”

“THIS IS NOT THE END, BROTHER! DON’T YOU EVER THINK THAT! THINK ABOUT KENZIE, HOW SHE’D FEEL WHEN I HAVE TO TELL HER YOU DIED ON HER!”

“It’s… it’s over…” He uttered with whatever strength remained in him. His hand was still in his brother’s. Maybe he was right all along. Death couldn’t separate them. Nothing could. “I… I love you both… so much…”

“I love you too, you crazy bastard, now don’t go dying on me! Please!” The sight of his brother dying in his arms was killing him. He’d seen his parents dead before his eyes 15 years ago. But this was different. He watched as a federal agent fired a bullet into his brother’s chest at point blank range with the full intention of killing him. With tears running down his eyes, he cried to the people watching over in shock, “SOMEONE HELP ME, DAMN IT!”

The very same doctor that he was with earlier dashed towards the brothers, kneeling down and moving Kain aside. The little brother could only watch as his brother’s limited movements became less and less, and the blood beneath his frame only expanded. The doctor reached over for Dave’s neck in an attempt to get a pulse, his other hand over his chest. A quick lean over his nose, and he froze for a few seconds, his face telling the entire story. Kain knew it.

“I’m so sorry, Kain,” the doctor looked to Kain as he stood up. “I truly am… your sister was very fond of him. This will devastate her, too… I’ll leave you to your final words.” He took to his feet and gave the weeping brother his privacy. But it was clear the doctor was affected too.

First his parents, now his brother. All of which by the hands of men who swore to protect and uphold the law. Moments after he swore to his brother he’d never take his life and defend his case till the end, this happens. He didn’t care who was watching. Luca. Some Lociato operative. Feds. Doctors. Nothing mattered anymore. He buried his nose into his brother’s neck and let himself break down. A day ago he told his masked friend that his brother meant nothing to him. Things changed. His brother was everything to him. And it took the death of him to realize that.

“Kenzie’s freedom has been extended,” Cooper instructed. “As acting director of the FBI Seattle Division, and head of this covert op, you now have one week to deliver Sesler to me discreetly so I can do the same to him… or else Kenzie goes to jail for your crimes. As well as Dave’s. And seeing that you know what I did to your brother right in front of your eyes, you should know that I’m not playing games. Am I clear?”

Kain lifted his head, his eyes a mix between mournful and furious. That agent. He didn’t know his name. But he’d never forget that face. The face of the man who killed his brother. But he was too consumed by loss to retaliate. “Go fuck yourself,” he growled, resisting the urge to stand up and butcher this man. It certainly was an option, but not one he had the energy for.

The dirty federal agent nodded, almost pleased by Kain’s rage. “Good boy. Maybe if you kill Sesler before I do, I’ll throw you a bone.” The agent turned his back on the brothers, swinging his overcoat behind him to wave in an almost heroic manner, and walked away from the scene. Covering that mess up would be difficult, especially with the surrounding witnesses, but he could manage. Avenging Henrikson’s death, a priority to him.

Emptiness had engulfed Kain once more. The same emptiness he felt when he lost his parents. He almost couldn’t believe that he lost the last person he could call family. He let his head drop to his brother once more, expressing himself in the only way his subconscious would let him. Perhaps this was a sign of weakness. Luca warned him from the beginning of what was to come by taking this path. That Lociato’s people are ruthless. Turns out it was true about men outside the ring as well. Even men of the law. But another warning the Italian boxer left for him: that if Kain were to die, Dave would be destroyed. It turns out if it were the other way around, the same concept applied. He knew his partner had lost his brother as well. Perhaps more that the two would have in common. Losing everything. The ones they love: Sarah and Kenzie, hostages to savages like Demetri Lociato and Nathan Wells. And those beloved were what they were fighting for. But another emotion was in the mix for Kain: vengeful. Vengeful to Lociato for taking his parents. Vengeful to Wells for taking Kenzie. Vengeful to Cooper for taking Dave.

“I don’t care what we had between us, Davey,” Kain told his brother, his voice still cracking and tearing falling over his corpse, “I’ve always had you. And you’ll always be with me, somehow, someway. Just like you told me… Tell Mom and Dad that I miss you. All of you.” His hand fell over Dave’s forehead, sliding down his eyes to shut his eyelids.

What could he do now other than mourn…

-(Angela Parker)-

The way Angelo was talking almost sounded like he was going to follow her till the end. Perhaps her heart could open up this ruthless man more than it should. But she found it difficult to express her emotions. Love was a foreign concept to the two of them. But one she was prepared to make work in one way or another. She stood from her seat to take another closer to Angelo. “I know there’s a future for me. Even if it’s outside the States. It’s just… it’s nice to know you will be a part of it in some way. Ensuring that future. And you don’t have to worry too much for financial contingencies. I’ve already had one in place for years…”

A confession she let loose to no one. Not even Lociato, even though it very well concerned him in the end. “I was born of a single mother not knowing my father. A woman who served very shortly in the US military. Stephanie Parker. She served with Edward Brookes while he was there. And what I eventually discovered that nobody knew… My mother and Edward had an affair. A very brief one. But a month after it, my mother left the armed forces and returned to Washington under the excuse she didn’t know she was pregnant. There was no other man in the picture as far as anyone is concerned… So yes. Edward Brookes is my father. There is no other way. And we both know that Brookes had a lot of money, especially after killing William Saunders. The whiney bitch he was, always demanding more for his silence. Taking all of his inheritance will be difficult. He had a second daughter nine years later, the doctor we had eyes on. Neither know about me or my connection to the Brookes bloodline. But if I come forward with it under an alias, possibly a fraternity test with Dr. Andrews, we profit off not only our riches, but a good deal of Brookes’s too.”

A break in her words as she looked over to Angelo’s hand, in which she placed her own over. A mild sign of affection to see how he’d reaction. “You just need to worry about where I go. And keep Lociato in the dark that I’m still alive.”

Aaron’s lack of a verbal response was enough for Kenzie to know the truth. He was a part of this, and now was paying the consequences by Nathan’s delusion sense of justice. And now that system put his life in her hands. She got to decide whether the man who ruined her life, probably killed her son, and, unknowing, her foster brother as well, gets to walk away from this. Was death a proper punishment?

“How could you?” she asked him in disbelief, almost seemed rhetorical. But when she realized it gave that impression, she extended her chained hands to his face and planted a slap of her his cheek, as hard as her weakened body could. “DAMN IT, AARON, HOW COULD YOU?! ANSWER ME!” Her breaths were uneasy, staring at the man who was a part of this conspiracy through her watering eyes. But Kenzie wasn’t a sadist. Or a killer. Would killing this man give her any form of closure or satisfaction? Especially after she promised him she’d defend his case. But how could she defend this? She wanted answers from him personally. She wasn’t going act rashly.

-(Jose Salas/Aaron Stilinski)- @Shaba7

"You gotta do what ya gotta do, the road to the top is perilous..." is the response he offers, in a toned down 'weak' voice, hopefully it'd work it's purpose, get her to give him something other than death, the fidgets under her glare, his right hand playing with the end of his sleeve, All of it selling his charade. His eyes avoid hers, scanning the van with newfound interest. Make the best of the situation, he could sell the 'cocky behind a screen' thing, she hopefully made the assumption already,  he could hope, right?

A power-hungry conman is all Kenzie could see in Aaron now. And the road to top, as he said, was at her expense. And her foster brothers. Not even her own morals could stand behind that. She reached forward once more, grabbing the techie by under his jawline to look her in the eye. But it hit her then and there. The feeling she lost in her lower body returned. She could stand now, after over 15 hours of not being able to move her legs. A feeling of born-again energy within her after a period of weakness and cowardice. This experience made the doctor stronger. More daring. Maybe even shrill.

"Look at me when I talk to you," she snarled. "I want you to see the woman whose life you could care less about. All because you wanted some sort of power. Look me in the eye and see how much I've lost this past day. I lost my father, my husband, my son, safe to say I've lost Dave at this rate too." Her words slowly turned into sobs, she couldn't help herself anymore. The heartless man who probably instigated this entire ordeal. If it weren't for him, Nathan would not be able to get close. "You don't know what I've been through. You don't understand. Half of me is thankful nobody wants you back." She didn't care for whatever argument he had next, and instead shoved his head back against the metal surroundings of the van. Taking her seat again, her rear slowly descending to her place, she directed her next words to Jose.

"Stop the van, amigo. And get me something sharp. He's not dying in the explosion.... I want to kill this kid myself. Up close and personal."

If Aaron studied this family enough, he'd know Kenzie would be the last person to want to kill him. But from the look in her teary eyes, the anger and sorrow within them, it almost seemed like she'd do it. Darkness. Was Edward really contagious in that sense?

Between the brunette's tirade, Nathan's phone received another message... the contact was from Dave. But it wasn't the dead policeman:

"Dave's dead. Feds found him. He killed the director and his partner shot him as a thank you. You have no reason to keep Kenzie, because you know damn well I won't roll over to your demands. Let her go peacefully, or I'm coming for you."

Words like that. Kain's words. There was very little time to mourn. Not until he ensured the safe return of his beloved.

Luca stepped away from the brotherly conflict and instead leaned against the perimeter of the hospital hallway as they fought. He formed fists and considered intervening when Dave swung at Kain's wounded knee, but opted against it. His hesitation wasn't fear or a code of honor, no. It was the pause in fighting as Kain and Dave spoke to each other of times before Lociato and Wells stepped into their lives. Of bonding forged over hardship. Of recuperation. Things that a brother put over anything else. It brought back memories of his brother when he was still alive. The age was so far apart, but yet the kid had such innocence that Luca could only dream of. An optimistic viewpoint brought on by avoiding the hardships his mother and Luca himself took on. Until his mom began gambling and boozing. Antonio didn't need to see that. No child did. Luca did his best to cover up her blackouts and anger, spinning tales of long nights and sickness. He could've kept the excuses up all he wanted, but it didn't take a genius to figure out why their mother had a red nose and bruises from her own fault. Her release was alcohol and risk taking. Luca's was work. Words of Dave's peaceful surrender was like choir music to his cauliflower ears. Made him want to applaud. As the two stood and rhetorically asked for the location of the Director's partner, he appeared like a guest on a game show. But the demeanor and raised gun spoke little other than business. The Director's death sounded like little other than a crime that the brother would have to serve for until it brought a bullet out of the fed's gun. The wet thunk of Dave's solid body smacking the tile and the newly instated director's expensive shoes clicking away broke the otherwise chilled silence. Then Kain. Then the grim epitome of the doctor. Luca stood stoic still for a moment, debating whether or not to pursue the director. He sure as hell could, mask up and break the man. But leave Kain alone? Possibly get himself killed or arrested as well?

He kneeled beside the limp corpse of the dead man much like he did with Edward. And just like Edward, the man was killed just as he reputed for his deeds. Was it the power of a higher being waiting for these men to admit to their sins before taking them? A being that ensured that their deaths would stand for their redemption? Kain was shattered. Shattered like the night that Luca became Sesler.

The night was late, past midnight. Work had gone into overtime once again. It was become the norm for Luca ever since Mama took out a loan from a shady business that didn't need credit scores. They always had a bit of lenience with the payment, given their Italian heritage. The Mob always went easy on immigrant Sicilians. But this wasn't the Mob, Luca later found out. It was a standalone operation, run by a man he only knew as Bruno. Always made his profit no matter the size of the loan. Always. Made his point clear when Luca delivered their last...'extension', on their dues. It always bothered him that the family of three lived on the top floor, six levels of stairs to ascend. Made him think too much for a walk. Think, or stress. The same thing in the impoverish life they led. Perhaps two sets of stairs later, Luca heard one crisp note. It was distorted and muffled through the several layers of flooring, but being on the streets long enough gave him an awareness of city sounds. A gunshot, followed by a reply from the same gun. Luca sprinted up the stairs, booted footsteps above him near. There was only one target they could be after. No one took loans from Bruno unless they were extremely desperate. His Mama fit that bill. He nearly ran into the henchman, the gunman's dark complexion blocking a good deal of Luca's view. The man stepped back and was in the process of raising his gun when he met a boxing champion's right hook. His nose nearly went sideways as bone and cartilage snapped. He went cross-eyed from the pain, before another shot in his ribs pushed air out of his lungs. Luca grabbed the gun from his weakened grasp, turning it and firing on a reflex. The bullet didn't exit, sitting inside the man deeply as blood spewed out. Luca was below him on the stairs, and tucking the gun under the man's chin was an easy task before pulling the trigger once more. He didn't stay to look at the detail. The walls painted it well enough.

Slamming a shoulder into the oaken door, he stepped onto a puddle of fluid. The squeal of his work shoes rang out as he fell backward in the liquid. Propping himself on his elbows, he tracked the trail around to the kitchen, where his mother lay facing away from the archway that marked the kitchen entrance. He could picture the scene; His mother opened the door to a knocker, and tried to run when she recognized who it was. A bullet hole was surgically placed in the back of her skull. Luca shivered, though summer was in full effect. He paced the small living room, resting a hand on the screen door that signified the brothers' room. Not enough space for separation. Did he need to enter? He heard two shots, but his mom had only one wound. Pushing the door inward, he stayed inside the doorway as his eyes examined the scene before him. His brother was killed in the same fashion as his mother, the hole instead being completely through. Not as much blood painted the walls. His body didn't have enough. The eyes that once were full of light and hope were squandered like a flame in the rain. Luca visibly shook, his gun hand vibrating with anger and sadness. A key to vengeance. A key, to peace. His morals were not yet placed. But neither was Bruno's.

The unpainted, unaltered mask of Seslerther sat on his face as a kick smashed his way into the dry cleaning lobby. The pudgy bastard worked upstairs. An alarm rang off and the owner appeared from the back, clicking the lights on. Luca didn't yell, though he wanted to. "This doesn't concern you. Keep yourself indoors." He twisted the knob of the dark wooden door to his right. Bruno played it safe. But a wooden door wasn't steel. It resisted his powerful kick, but not a bullet under the knob. Pushing it aside, Luca walked up the stairs, where another turn around the corner put him inside the man's office. His bald head gleamed like the lenses of his microscopic glasses as he looked up to Luca. He was used to angry customers or distraught families. No one had the brass to silence him. His extortionist made sure of it. But where was he? So, he examined the man in more detail. Blood stained his clothes and the mask he wore. A mask he's seen. A gravely voice done in by age spoke. "Aren't you dead?"

Luca shook his head. No need to implore more on the matter of his father. Raising the gun, he took precise aim like the man who killed his family.

Bruno wasn't a man to do a cheesy evil chuckle, but right now would be a great scenario. "A copycat of a dead man isn't a threat that I perceive as ma-"

If the man knew of the broken teen's intentions, perhaps he would've chosen better last words. He fell back in his chair, the wood clattering against the ground. Luca turned swiftly, dropping the gun. He wiped it down at the apartment and gloved himself beforehand. Forensics weren't as advanced as the 21st century, so little threat would befall him. But he needed to escape. Fast. Entering the lobby once more, he then looked to the owner of the cleaning studio. The face of horror was something he would never forget. He would tell Sarah of what he did, with time. But she needed to escape with him.

His selfishness led to her kidnapping. A higher regret than angry murder.

"Come on, Kain. We need to move."

-(Kain Saunders)- @Milus

It felt as if Kain was in his own world as he looked down at his brother's body. He never imagined this day would come around. Hell, he was always under the impression he'd expire before his brother, given his dangerous, risky lifestyle of alcoholism, sadism, and vigilantism, as well as suicidal tendencies. Even the bullet he took on his first week on the force. But no. Once his brother seeked to pay for his actions, he was murdered, holding his brother's hand too. More shockingly by the Feds Dave would holds o highly, as if they were saints and were going to make everything okay in the end. Cooper certainly wasn't. Whether or not the man killed Henrikson, it gave him no right to take his brother's life. The remainder of his biological family gone. The father of Kenzie's child, gone. How would he ever tell her what happened? It would destroy her too. First the chief of police murdered his parents for reputation and riches. Then the acting director of the FBI shot his brother in cold blood, without a single warning or hesitation. The law he once served to protect had cheated him. Hurt him. Took everything from him.

Kenzie was all he had left, and likewise, Kain was all she had left. But he had no clue where she could be. Was she a lost cause? Would Nathan kill her now that she had no use? That's what his text served to find out. The Magician would soon find out the hospital isn't going down. That Dave's life was no more as a result of his actions. So there was no point in hiding it. He snuck his brother's cell phone from the soaked janitor suit pocket and sent the message to Nathan's contact, paining him every time he had to imagine that his brother was killed. The idea was a difficult one to sink in. Even when it happened right before his eyes. Traumatized, a second time in his life. But why did this hurt more than losing his parents did? Was it his own maturity? Was it because he knew his brother's killer, and could do nothing about it? Loss. It really is unique.

Luca seemed hasty to leave the scene. And with the current situation, and Kain's regained ability to walk, it seemed reasonable as to why. The longer they stayed at the hospital, the more at risk the two were. Even if the doctor treating him was a trusted friend of his foster sister. The scene was already flooded by suits coming to investigate. A scene in which Cooper would lie about, saying that Dave was the guilty one, running his brother's once good name through the mud. That was not a way for a man who was viewed as a hero to some would want to go down. While his actions before death were less than honorable, for sure, his resolve and acceptance of his fate were certainly noble. His own freedom for Kenzie's. A sacrifice that both brothers had made peace with and were ready to go through with. And was easier to cope with than this. "Where could we possibly go?" his grim, emotionless voice sniffled, clenching his brother's cell phone in one bloodied hand, his knife in the other, as he took to his feet. Standing wasn't an issue, and neither was walking. But thinking, rather. That was difficult for the little brother. How could he move forward when his mind was only focused on his brother? "You have no leads on Wells. Nor Lociato, besides the factory."

It seemed as if the vengeful ex-cop would follow him along. He slowly turned his frame away from his brother's body and back to his designated hospital room. A quick turn to the cabinets revealed Kain's personal belongings and clothing, as well as spares for when he was ready to leave. A quick lock of the room door and a change into the same grey long-sleeved shirt as before with a different pair of black pants, his older one riddled with blood stains and a bullet wound. It felt better to wear actual clothing than the usual hospital gown. Regardless of what the doctors were saying, he wanted to go. Once he was properly dressed, he stepped out of the room, his steps very slow and his left hand vibrating unconsciously. He'd noticed his brother's body covered by a plain white sheet and several FBI forensics officers standing by and examining the scene. The investigation had begun. He turned back to his partner, almost desperately. He clearly knew what to do and where to go next. Kain knew nothing anymore. Nothing except his own solitude and grief. And oddly enough, despite him knowing the truth about his past, it seemed as if Luca still wanted him around.

-(Jose Salas/Aaron Stilinski)- @Shaba7 (I wrote up something along these lines last night and thought it posted, it didn't and I had to redo from memory.)

Dave was dead? Fuck. Made things harder on Jose's end.

He maneuvered to his contact and sent his phone a message, hopefully Nate would get it in time.

"Dave is dead, call Emilio."

After trying his best to reset his face to his normal uncaring glare, he scrolls up to the photo of Liana's bullet-ridden body, putting the phone in lock mode and dropping it in his pocket as he climbs out of his seat, switching the small object for another of much smaller variety, a key-ring. "Actually, you're free to go." he says, dropping it to the floor and going back for his phone. "I'll be leaving you, now. We wont be meeting again unless.-" he points to Aaron "-I'm greeting you in hell." he says, using his gun as a threat if Kenzie were to try and approach the keys."The van, the keys and techie gringo are yours now." he says, pulling out the phone and showing the photo of Liana to Kenzie. "Eve Memorial just went up in smoke, Nathan's been celebrating..." he says, pulling his best shit-eating grin. "Enjoy your freedom." he says, backing up and swiping anything that could ID him into his jacket, returning his phone there before opening the driver's side exit and slipping out. He'd make a beeline for an alleyway, his plan was to kill someone for a taxi and blend for a while, wait until Nate was ready, maybe do a bit of gambling.

Aaron was furious, a reoccurring theme in the past few days. He was now at the will of someone he had disadvantaged so much, a position he did not want to be in, no matter if he were armed to the teeth, out of the situation with the press of a trigger, he was still remarkably uncomfortable. "Please... don't kill me" was all he could ask, weakly as well. He certainly didn't believe in his chances. He could not work with this.

-(Kenzie Brookes)- @Altair1303 (Its happened to me a lot, losing a well written text due to either the site going down or my internet just not cooperating.)

An onslaught of information had hit Kenzie all at once, and all after one text? Something happened. Something wrong. Especially now that she was free to go. Last time she was promised that, she received a hit to the stomach possibly ending her child's life. But this time was different. Too different. And it was confirmed when she saw the image of Liana's bloodied and beaten body. Putrid, unsightly imagery was part of the job. But Liana was just a little girl who didn't know better. Yet the doctor could only blame herself. Before she ran off and changed her name, she didn't even give her a chance to follow along. Maybe it was the rush and urgency of the situation before her at the time. Maybe she didn't want the burden on her hands. But now she was before a greater burden: a teenage girl's life gone because she was selfish for once in her life. A woman who dedicated her life to the satisfaction and comfort of others. A lovable personality for that, a utilitarian of sorts. But leaving Liana behind left no smiles on anyone's faces this time. She could only glare at Aaron in disgust. This girl's death wasn't on him. Or was it.... she couldn't tell anymore.

Eve's Memorial. Her old workplace in smoke. So many people she was friends with who were probably dead, probably by Dave's hand. But her own fury was blocking everything else out physically. Mentally, she was about to explode from the sensory overload. Not even a whole day of distress and loss would make her immune to any of this trauma. Dave was too far gone. But where was Kain...?

Her captor had gone. It was just her and Aaron. The urge to kill this man was overwhelming. But now that they had some alone time, Kenzie leaned in to the small key-ring. There weren't many options as to which is which. One was probably for the van. One for Aaron's bindings, one for her own. A quick rally of guess and check to find the right key eventually undid the shackles on her wrists. She leaned forward to her ankles and undid the chains there as well.

"Don't move a muscle," the doctor warned the techie, her speech affected by all of the bad news before her, almost afraid. The keys in her hand, she slowly stood up from her seat properly on her feet. It felt good to actually stand up and move without limitations or bounds. Pushing it, she crawled her way out of the back of the van to the outside. A road not necessarily the middle of nowhere, but pretty isolated. No oncoming traffic or anyone to hail to the side in immediate sight. But one thing stood out: a minimarket that seemed to be open. And at a strange time, nearly 4 AM too. With slow, easy steps, she made her way before the convenience store and pressed the glass door with the open sign inward. She kept her left hand in a fist as to hide her injury. A woman with a missing digit is rather unsightly, even if people were few and far to come by at this hour. There was one man in an apron with the logo of the place behind the cashier's desk.

"How may I help you, ma'am?" he asked with a hint of concern in his voice. This woman was obviously weak, walking with her back hunched forward, her eyes glowing red, her right hand shaking in its place, her hair looking as if it weren't brushed in days, two noticeable cuts under her eyes, and an outfit as if she were coming from a prison. Something wasn't right about her.

"Please..." she begged, turning her attention to the man at the desk. Her voice confirmed the suspicion of weakness. "I need to use a phone. I-I don't have anything to give you or buy from your store, but please... I need to call a friend. I'm begging you."

Her pleas were unnecessary for the good samaritan, willingly offering a helping hand. He reached for the small mobile device on his desk and extended it to this defenseless woman. 

-(Kain Saunders)- @Milus

There was little to say between Kain and Luca. Hell, there was little to say in general. Dave was gone, right before their eyes. The doctor from before could only watch over. He knew from Kenzie that Kain was a good man at heart. Young. Innocent. Despite the fact his tales with those three cops were true. A man with good intentions who meant no harm on anyone. A damaged man who didn't ask for what was set before him. Now he lost his brother. Maybe even Kenzie. So he thought until he received a phone call on his personal phone. Reaching for the pocket of his traditional white doctor's coat, he immediately answered with his last name. "This is Kenning."

"Herman?" the weak voice of Kenzie would let out on the phone. A shocker, especially after what Kain had told him that she was kidnapped. His eyes shot out. He knew that voice among a million. And recognized her fear and pain in it.

"Kenzie?" he asked in reassurance, though he didn't need it. He made sure he was nearby her foster brother so he could hear this himself.

"Herm, please tell me you weren't at work when the hospital went down." Her voice was breaking down, now in the comfort of someone she could trust.

The bomb threat was confirmed at the hospital. And neutralized. But the doctor, Herman, could only assume she was fed some misinformation. "Kenz, I'm fine. The hospital is fine. We're all okay. The bombs didn't go off. Where are you?" Hearing the shortened version of the name of his beloved, Kain quickly turned to older gentleman. Was there hope? Is Kenzie okay? But he remained quiet.

"I-I...." she didn't know where to begin. She was relieved to know Jose was bluffing about the blowout. "That's..... that's great. But I don't know where I am. I'm at some convenience store."

The cashier assisted her dilemma, speaking near the phone to tell the man on the other end her location. She was calling for help. And he wouldn't deny her that help. "She's on the corner of 12th and Lock Street in the north end."

Almost instantly, Herman turned his back on Kain towards the front desk of the third floor, at the secretary. He spoke away from the phone to give the orders. "I need an ambulance at 12th and Lock, now! It's Kenzie, so make it priority one! Get someone there now!"

Kain couldn't believe what he was hearing. The woman he loved was alive. And she had a location. Unbelievable. He could still find his peace. He wasn't completely alone after all.

"Herm..." Kenzie continued, insisting on using the shortened version of his name. He was a close friend after all. "I was kidnapped by some crazy man..." She quickly wiped her face from the tears in her eyes, though her words were a bit more relieved. "He calls himself Nathan Wells. But for whatever reason.... H-He set me free. But please, I can't trust anyone in law enforcement. I need someone we trust down here to come pick me up, please! I don't want this man to change his mind."

"I have an ambulance on the way, kiddo...." He took another look to the desperate young man before him, watching over his every word, fully aware of what was going down. "...And I think there's someone you want to talk to." With that, he removed the phone from his ear and handed it down to Kain, telling him one more thing before he began his conversation. "Tell her how you feel. She needs the moral support. She needs you."

As the doctor turned away towards the front desk, he looked back to his boxer partner and held the phone to hear what was going on. "K-Kenzie?"

"Oh, my god.... Kain." It almost seemed like her mood was lightened upon hearing his voice.

"You...you don't know how sorry I am." He was referring to leaving her out of his sights when the FBI apprehended the three siblings. He couldn't help but find it his fault that she was kidnapped.

"Don't. Please don't. I don't want to think of that. What's important is that Nathan let me go. I don't know why. The doctor told me the hospital didn't get blown up."

"No. No it didn't. Dave couldn't do it. He couldn't kill all of those people."

"That's the Dave I've known all my life. I'm glad he came to..... where is he?"

The bad news he didn't want to speak of. It was before him. And lying wouldn't help in the slightest. "I'm... Um.... Dave...."

Kenzie could take a guess what happened. He knew her brother's hesitation meant bad news was near. "D-Don't tell me...."

She knew. All that was left was for the little brother to defend himself. "I didn't do it Kenz. Believe me. T-The Feds. They did it."

"I know..." Her voice began to phase back into melancholy. "I know you'd...." A sniffle. "You'd never kill him. I'm sure that if there was some way you could save him, you'd do it."

He let his eyes roll to the ceiling, his free hand running through his ruffled hair, trying not to cry further. "I.... I miss him. We've had our issues, but losing him hurts so much. Maybe if I pushed him out of the way and took the bullet myself..."

"Stop, Kain. Nobody's to blame except the man who killed him." She would naturally defend him. And she knew the blame game would do no favors. "It's not your fault for what happened to me. It's not your fault he's gone..." She was crying. Her voice was gone, and he could hear her muffled attempts to mask it.

"It's not yours either.... Look, an ambulance is on the way. Just stay where you are and we can do what we can for you. Just hang in there."

She nodded in her place, despite how he wouldn't see it. "Kain, I want this to be over. No more running from cops. No more chasing crazy people. I-I know about my dad. And Phil. There's nobody left for us. I can't lose you. And everything today? It made me realize that."

"I.... I feel the same, Kenz. We've been through enough for one lifetime. Both of us."

"You've been exonerated. Take your freedom. You and I. Let's leave Seattle. Go somewhere else. So we don't have to worry about Lociato, or Nathan Wells, or anyone. I can get my dad's pilot on call and we can go wherever we want. You, me, we could even take Luca if he really wants to come. Let's just get away from this. Please?"

She wasn't aware of the complexity of the FBI conspiracy. He was free. But she wasn't. But he needed to keep her hopes up, and couldn't just give her a straight no. "Of course. I want to start over just as badly as you do. Wherever you want. I'll go with you. Because I can't lose you either. Not the last person I care about. Not...."

"....not what, Kain?"

"....not the woman I've loved for ten years. The only woman I've really loved." She paused. Astonished that he finally said it. He'd implied it on several occasions, but this was him almost saying it. "I-I love you, Kenzie. I always have. Odds are I always will. And if running away can ensure that we can be together, then count me in."

At this point, Kenzie couldn't tell if her tears were that of sorrow or joy. Sorrow over all the loss around her and her own desperation to leave the city. Joy over the fact Kain was alright, and wanted the same thing. "I love you too, Kain.....I-I'll see you in a bit, okay?"

Kain nodded, a bit of a smile escaping his lips. He'd finally see her again. Probably in horrible condition. But he'd see her again. "I'll be here waiting. I promise."

The phone hung up from the other end. He almost couldn't believe it. He thought she was long dead. But no. Nathan let her go? He was still unsure how. But it happened. He directed his words to Luca, almost unsure of how to express how he felt anymore. It was certainly bittersweet. Dave's gone. But Kenzie isn't. A silver lining. "Kenzie's alive.... N-Nathan let her go. She's.... she's alive..." Almost without warning, he stepped forward to his Italian friend and hugged him in a friendly manner. The comfort meant something, even if it was from a man who he'd only met a little over a day ago. He'd also picked up that emotions weren't something he'd express that openly. But he wasn't as experienced. Didn't have the same capacity. Whether or not Luca would judge him for his emotionally-driven act, he didn't care. He took a step back seconds later, a smile slowly growing, trying to embrace whatever bit of hope was left in him. "She's going to be okay..... I'm going to make sure of it."

The woman returned the phone to the cashier with a thank you, and turned her back to the door. She was grateful for his random act of kindness. But there was one last burden she had to get rid of. Aaron. His actions were most definitely responsible for Dave's death. And he was going to pay for it, one way or another. Wielding the keys to his chains in her hand, she held the sharper end of one against the techie's neck. Her voice still cracking from her own subconscious falling apart, she barked more questions at the man. "How many families have you destroyed to 'get to the top'? One? Two? Ten? Dave's dead. The hospital is in one piece. Nathan didn't get his dosage of mayhem. You probably have no clue how much blood is on your hands. My own included! Give me one good reason not to end your life RIGHT NOW!"

Think fast, Stilinski. "Because Kain will need a fall guy!" he blurts out, scared for his life, persuaded by the jagged keys against his jugular. He might be able to snake his way out of custody, but he'd need a heartbeat, something he wont have for long once the crazy bitch who's life HE had ruined slashed his throat open with the ferocity of a wounded tiger, she was weak, but to his dismay, she was holding all the cards. Hopefully he'd live long enough to snatch a few back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back