Experiences When RPs fall off, what happens to your OC?

Pretty much all of mine are from my own story. I just change them for roleplays. When I come up with a new OC for an RP I'll usually modify them to fit my story too. I buy a lot of commissions, so I always keep and re-use my characters.

Move them to other roleplays. That is, if they fit the genre. I may have to do a little bit editing. Still, no point in wasting a perfectly good character.

Reading all of these replies, turns out I do something very different than everyone else.

I don't really make up new ocs for different rps unless that rp is extremely specific or something I haven't worked with before. But I have like a good 10 ocs that I just circle around with! I'll add details to their stories or take away things depending on the new rp, I keep them super close to me, draw them a ton, all of that. They're like little trinkets I'll keep in my pockets and take out whenever needed.

I just store my OCs away to be used later on in a storyline that I can fit them into. I also have my own independent writing.

There are some of my OCs that I'll refine their canon histories that I'll use in the storyline if I'm able to mention it. Creating lores for them helps when I use the character again in order to maintain continuity as much as possible. For example, if Xen the minotaur finds himself in an inn at the start of the storyline and then in another storyline, he boards a ship, his history is exactly the same before the story beings. Same parents, same brother, same land he came from.

I usually leave them in the universe now-a-days. If I bring them back, I reboot them heavily to explore another angle. But mostly don't do that.

I may sometimes make references to them with other characters I have.

I tend to keep the same character (or at least one of a small group of characters I reuse). Everything that happens to that character in previous RPs generally get added to my characters' lore.

For example, if my character (previously has no romantic experience) is used in a romance with X person in one RP, then the RP dies, the next time I write that character, she now has a previous romance with X character to draw on.

May or may not be relevant to the next RP, but it's always there, and I will almost always remember what happened in the previous RP, so it adds a bit of extra layers of character development that I need to draw on.

It depends. A lot of times, the characters die when the RP dies, but if I like the characters enough, I reuse them for other RPs, or if I can't find a good RP to reuse them in, I tend to use them in my own solo writing projects. For example, I once made a merpeople RP, and because I was never able to keep it successfully going, I instead decided to recycle the characters and setting from that RP and turned it into a solo writing project.

i usually just reuse them because i only really have a couple ocs for select settings or fandoms which makes them rlly rlly old (creation date-wise lol). it takes me months, if not years to fully develop an oc that passes standards i've set for myself so i usually never have trouble reusing them. i also leave their backstories open-ended on purpose to allow for smooth transitions into other plots, but i do know some people tailor-make ocs for ONE plot and don't want to or can't reuse them, which is valid too. i think that has only happened to me one time and i was rlly sad because i loved the roleplay and the oc and to this day i haven't been able to reuse her because she was so connected to my old rp partner's oc who was her brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back