Music What's your music genre go to?

theas

mega nerd
I love all kinds of music (except country, I'm sorry), but I am so drawn to indie/alternative rock and lo-fi/psych weird crap like Homeshake or Mac DeMarco. I have yet to find people with similar music tastes because I go way too deep into youtube and soundcloud lol 

Anyways, it seems to me that music is really personal to everyone no matter their music genre, and finding someone with similar music tastes is like finding the next Jesus. So, what's your go to genre or artist(s)? 

Genre is usually Country, despite how many people don't like it, pop music or pop punk. Or Hamilton. I usually listen to whatever's on the radio, or Twenty One Pilots, Panic! AT The Disco, All Time Low or Fall Out Boy. Right now I've been listening to a lot of My Chemical Romance though, I'm probably going to get back into them.

[SIZE= 12px]Synthpop, synthwave, 80's pop, boogie; anything and everything that's from the pre-90's or at least emulates it.[/SIZE][SIZE= 12px] [/SIZE]

I pretty much like any genre. Back in the day I only listened to pop and R&B, but I branched out to rock, classical, j-pop, anything that appeals to me. I especially enjoy uh epic music? Not sure what to call the genre, maybe instrumental/epic haha.

It's not terrible but I just don't like the melody of how they play the instruments. I like folk but not country, which is odd. 

All of their instruments — the guitar, mandolin, banjo, fiddle, steel guitar, ect? 

Last edited by a moderator:
All of their instruments — the guitar, mandolin, banjo, fiddle, steel guitar, ect? 

Yeah it's just the style and the tune that they're played. I'm talking about modern country, though.. Old country music is actually quite interesting but today's country music I just can't dig 

Yeah it's just the style and the tune that they're played. I'm talking about modern country, though.. Old country music is actually quite interesting but today's country music I just can't dig 

I can get behind you on modern mainstream country, there's a lot to complain about.  But it sounds like you're open minded enough to give quality country a listen.

You might appreciate the above country song.  The musical arrangement really speaks to me as a music lover.

I can get behind you on modern mainstream country, there's a lot to complain about.  But it sounds like you're open minded enough to give quality country a listen.

You might appreciate the above country song.  The musical arrangement really speaks to me as a music lover.

Yeah country music like this I can go for. I'll admit, I wouldn't search it up for myself but if I were to hear it on the radio or if a friend showed it to me I wouldn't mind listening to it. I love the guitar in that song, like really really like it

I also dig Johnny Cash, if he counts as country 

Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Nu Metal, Alt Metal, Punk Rock, Power Metal, Rockabilly, Polka, Folk Punk and some of the older country music.

It's hard to really put down one in particular though. My go-to changes like my fashion sense, sometimes I want something this way, others times I want something else. For now, synthwave's my go-to. I kinda like having it play while I'm doing anything that involves some amount of critical thought. So, cue the essay-writing and the synthwave comes on - makes me feel like I'm absolutely killing the assignment (double meaning totally intended; for better or worse). 

But aside from that, the screamo or basically any of the sort with that guttural growling are my absolute no-gos no matter what. 

I like music pretty much from all genres. It's mostly a kind of "it's the music itself that matters not its categorization". But there are certain kinds of music that I tend to pick up faster than others, but I can learn to appreciate almost music from almost any genre if given enough time. My go-to genres in this regard are folk, and anything to do with folk (folk metal, folk rock, folk inspired classical), and romantic era music (Tchaikovsky, Dvořák, etc).

I tend to like anything with a good sense of melody. Just a side note I also like progressive metal, (like Insomnium, Sólstafir), and Classical era music (not to be confused with its generic meaning).

My go to genre is the wide wide world of Metal, barring "Cores"-Metalcore, Deathcore, etc. But aside from that, I'm actually open to most everything with a couple exceptions: Pop, because there's no soul anymore, it's just a cash grab; Country because no matter how hard I try, there is something that my brain rejects in this genre; Jazz and Blues, because I don't much care for the style at all, I don't have a reason to give, there's just something about it that I do not like; and really just any kind of dubstep, trance, techno, whatever you want to call it. There's virtually no effort in it, and coming from a guy in a band currently, there's no emotional input or stress whatsoever.  

Most metal subgenres, especially progressive metal(Dream Theater, Opeth, Meshuggah, etc) and doom metal(Order of Israfel, Black Sabbath, Pagan Altar, etc). I'm also a fan of smooth jazz, jazz-funk, or just plain funk(Marcus Miller & Victor Wooten mostly)

Alternative rock is my go-to genre: indie rock and indie pop, post-punk revival, grunge, post-grunge. Some of my favorite artists right now are The Arctic Monkeys, Imagine Dragons, Miike Snow, Beck, Muse, and Franz Ferdinand.

Anything in the rock/metal spectrum usually ends up being what I listen to. Alternatively, I spend a great deal of time listening to electronic music as well --from traditional 'techno' to house and electro industrial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back