Other What's your favorite Monster?

72a79e59504fbe74d40dc481983ec31e62f75a84_hq.jpg

Johan Liebert the "monster" from Monster.

Always had a soft spot for Mothman if we're talking cryptids.
Move-wise, hmm, there a lot of del Toro's monsters that I love. I think the angel of death from the Hellboy movie might be my favorite design-wise.

Angels from the series supernatural xD jk no but on a serious note I liked many of the 'monsters' in supernatural, some ghosts were just amazing! :)

The Wendigo.
The thing that makes it scary is that I live in the perfect place for it to live. Dark, cold, snowy, and people are pretty likely to resort to cannibalism.

Wendigo - Wikipedia
I also think wendigoes are pretty sick, but mostly because of their appearance. The zombie deer version, not the yeti ones.

Also, I will never not be a sucker for dragons. Dragons are easily the greatest thing to come of human imagination.

I like all sorts of dragons. I love all the different variations there are from culture to culture. It's really cool that almost every country and/or nation out there has their own special dragon!

Dragons. Then Dragons. Then after that...Dragons. Then...I think Dragons. OH, and I can't forget Dragons!

Seriously, when I was a kid I was big into Dinosaurs, then I learned Dragons existed and I was like, "Nope, done, I found the perfect monster."

I have a few in mind that I absolutely love.
488e143ec88afb85e73c36faf95d119e.jpg
53f579fd001823355e02217831bd7337.jpg
1076b40da0a12c8da7ecbfc799d6e005.jpg
86d74a306c02645ff675a6978028888e.jpg
4a7f5c29d55e4ac3d5c44f06715b3707.jpg
42289d42ec212309599de7d27d0a4f22.jpg
2c2bfc15e6af1e739a6b22d2d3f040b5.jpg
b7104255e38d7e32aeef229a444d88c1.jpg

I was looking thru DnD monsters to try and find something spoopy and entirely unexpected. I then ran into this: False Hydra using the picture from that terrifying monster from a Zelda game. Just read through it. It isn't right.

I personally find changelings to be interesting monsters! However ghouls have been a favorite of mine for a long time.

Since it hasn’t been mentioned, I love The Rake. There’s something about it that is terrifying, yet brilliant.

I’m really a sucker for “creature creepypasta’s.” I don’t know why, but I love them

latest
I like a fairly decent variety of monsters and fantasy creatures, so I think I'll talk about three of 'em, leaving the obvious preference for last.

So first off. I'm pretty cool with demons, though I don't go too crazy and go in the direction of appearance and minor traits, so not really much farther than a wingman or a tiefling or something like that. For example, I like the way the game Pyre went with them, where ordinary human beings who spent too much time in the dismal world below (10+ years) ended up gaining qualities that would be considered big and demon-like. That scary-looking guy in the middle image used to be a normal dude, but he's been down there for like 30 years and it's totally fucked him up, now he's got four horns, the rest of his head has been done in, he's pretty big, and to top it all off he does in fact have a terrifying demon voice.
I really liked the idea that game played demons out, so I figured it should inspire something similar in the world I was trying to make, where people who were born in the underground regions or stuck around there for at least two decades ended up with subtle demonic-like traits. Nothing too crazy, though; it just marks them as natives of the deep dark.

Next up? Chimeras. Whether it's the creature of fantasy or that ridiculously funny shirt from the anime show, I don't like a liking to just the actual chimera, but also the idea of putting two creatures together and seeing how that works out in a fantasy setting (though I'm not any good at it myself).
For example, we have the majestic gryphon, which are a combination of any big cat and apparently any bird in existence, or just the classic eagle + lion. There's also the vhark, one of the most dangerous carnivores in the wild wastes. And then if you wanted any more ideas there are plenty of people in the world who do wacky animal fusions and Pokemon combinations. If I recall correctly, there are plenty of those in Mother 3 as well.

urealms_live_t_shirt__dragon_aspect_mural_by_pandas_r_us-dai8250.jpg
In my opinion though, the best monster to ever exist in the world of fantasy and mythology is the motherfucking dragon. But why, you might ask?

The simple answer is that dragons just seem to be incredibly flexible in their appearance as well as their portrayal. They can be the size of the sun or as small as a strawberry. They can be gods, the classic monsters mercs get paid to slay for a living, that one asshole you met on the road, your drug buddy, or something entirely different. There are just so many possibilities with dragons that you simply will not get tired of them, ever.

Take this last image, for instance, which depicts all the draconic deities from the tabletop show URealms: the Sun Dragon, the deceased Moon (formerly also a sun dragon), and the six Dragon Aspects that represent each element of magic (light, dark, fire, ice, earth, and arcane). They all look and act completely differently from each other. That's some good shit right there.

The way I've depicted them isn't much different from how they're normally perceived: as magic-adept scaled creatures who are big as hell, live a pretty long time, and tend to be lorehounds that possess more worldly knowledge and wisdom than the average person.

Yep, there you go, now you know somewhat kind of stuff I'm interested in fantasy-wise. I really like the kind of monsters and creatures that you can hold a conversation with, rather than something you know you're gonna kill with fire. Don't get me wrong, killing eldritch horrors and deadly beasts can definitely be a good way to pass the time. But I've got a preference for the beauty of the living world. At least with these guys, even though you'll probably get the feeling of "man this one looks like it could kick my ass", there's always the possibility you might just end up shaking hands and shooting the shit with one of 'em for a while - as if it's a perfectly normal thing in your world.

Dragons, but not the easily recognizable medieval style dragons.

I like unique takes on dragons- even if they rely on old myths and things. Things like the dragons from HTTYD and LoZ:BOTW are the best examples I have.

Anything that is tall and menacing would probably be my favorite monster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back