• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy What's worth fighting for

As it turned out that Aliarna was far from being in control, Daquan had to realise that they were not out of the water yet, in any meaning of the phrase. Poor princess was too nerve-wracked, too many things were happening too fast. The squire recalled the oddities which happened last time Aliarna couldn't stay calm while using magic, especially since it wasn't all that long ago. He gulped a little bit, thinking of the potential collateral damage that would be involved...

He tried his best to get her to cool herself, holding her hand and softly speaking that they were out of the worst of it, that she needs to relax and focus, but the anxiety of the situation was simply overwhelming for the princess. Daquan looked to her uncertainly, when, thank the gods, queen Andrea approached them.

The squire stood by Aliarna's side, resting a hand reassuringly on her shoulders. He had trust in Aliarna, if she could conjure something up, she could likewise put it down; she merely lacked the mental discipline to do it properly yet. But if there was a single person who could talk her into it, it had to be her loving mother.

He observed as slowly, gradually, the unrestrained forces dissipated, diminished, along with the bubble around them gently settling down and releasing its hold on them. Daquan supported Aliarna, who seemed quite spent from the strain of the efforts, and helped her to her mother's embrace. He didn't speak up, but looked to the queen with admiration and silent gratitude.

Not that he had a lot of time to speak to them, as a newfound source of personal horror appeared and rushed towards him. Lord Joel Vuldarak, even in nightwear and beaver-skin slippers, could sport a gaze that could impale people.

That's it. I'm dead. I survived, but I'm still dead.

Joel quickly surveyed the situation, looking at the princess first, then back to his insubordinate squire. Daquan held up his hands defensively: - "My lord, I swear I can explain-"

"Why is it that when the princess is alone with you, she wets herself in short order?" - he asked in a rather crabby manner. - "You better make good on your case, squire, or I'm demoting you to footstool with all due haste!"

"We were attacked by a changeling dressed as a maid." - Daquan put it short. - "So I grabbed Aliarna and jumped."

"Through a balcony on the fourth f*cking floor, counting on her magic to save you both?!" - Joel furrowed his eyebrows menacingly. - "That's about the dumbest thing you could have done, and you did it anyway."

"I followed your advice, lord Joel!" - the squire exclaimed with fear quivering in his legs. - "If you can't be a skilled foe, act unpredictably!"

"You have the audacity to shift this on me, squire?!" - he yelled at Daquan. - "You almost got the princess killed, idiot!"

"What was I to do, let the changeling have her way with her?!" - Daquan snapped back.

"Everyone! Everyone, please calm down!" - Lady Olette was arriving in tow, having wrapped herself in a sizable fur coat. - "Let's alert the guards, first and foremost, and then go inside. The intruder may have helpers." - she advised.

Joel stared at his squire rather disapprovingly, but relented. He wouldn't neglect wise advice, just because it wasn't coming from him.

Soon, the Trustvars and the Vuldaraks were together anew, sharing a quarter with a cozy big fireplace. Daquan was finishing the story on his side, omitting only the kiss he shared with the princess... and the fact that the changeling insisted she was indebted to Joel. That was something he insisted on keeping to himself, for his lord's sake. He only hoped Aliarna would recognize the sentiment, and wouldn't blurt it out herself.

Joel Vuldarak was rubbing his balding forehead with both hands. A kidnapping attempt at the princess of Krustivan was no laughing matter. An intruder, or perhaps more than one, have been stalking the pristine halls and corridors of the Trustvar palace, and almost succeeded in her twisted schemes, were it not for the daring stupidity of a squire.

Who could have sent her? What could they have wanted? Was it for extorting a ransom? Or something even more insidious...?

Lilbutterfli94 Lilbutterfli94

Last edited:
Andrea held onto Aliarna and rubbed her head carefully as they sat by the fire. She had told her husband to wait on the charm bracelet. She wanted to try and teach her daughter control without some magical item doing it for her. She sat there listening and sighed a little bit as she shook her head.

“Lord Joel, honestly I’m not mad at the squire for his actions. We’re it not for his quick thinking my daughter wouldn’t be here right now. She would be somewhere else and she knows who would be doing who knows what to her.” She said as she looked at her daughter and rubbed her head carefully.

Leonard sighed a little bit, “a kidnap attempt on the Princess of Krustivan though is something to not take lightly.” He said as he rubbed the back of his head. “This is grounds for war in all honesty. If we could find out what kingdom did it I don’t think we’d be able to reason with them.” He said as he thought deeply about it.

Aliarna remained silent this entire time as she watched the fire. She then looked up at the ceiling. She was wondering when her powers would act up again, and hoping they never would. She hoped her mother was right and that she had control over it, that general magic might still be something she can’t, but her water powers would be useful. Then she heard a voice in her head.

Are you ready to listen to me now? It asked and Aliarna seemed to be in her own little world. Who is this? Was her own thought and then the voice came through again. Why I am the water. I go by many names, but that is what your people call me. Aliarna jumped up in her mother’s arms.

Andrea looked at her daughter, “calm yourself darling.” She whispered and sighed. “I will explain to you later.” She said as she knew exactly what was going on. Her daughter was hearing the water speaking to her.

Let’s strike a deal dear. I will protect you and let you wield me, but you must not just use me for no reason. If you can remain calm then there is nothing to fear. It thought and Aliarna narrowed her eyes. I don’t understand. She thought and the water laughed in her head. We will make a great team if you remain calm and collected. There are many things I can show you. Many ways I can protect you and your loved ones. It thought to her and she seemed to unknowingly nod her head. Deal. Was all she thought before the voice disappeared.

Andrea looked at her daughter and rubbed her head carefully.

Leonard looked at everyone and sighed. “I think it’s best we send out a search party for this girl and see if she can find any associates.” He said as he looked at his daughter now and smiled softly.

“She is our priority. She is our future and there is no avoiding it.” He said as he rubbed his head once more and though. He got a look on his face, what many called his thinking face. “There has to be a scent of her... Joel we could use your hunting dogs. That’s what they’re designed to do, to hunt and track.” He said as he looked to his old friend.

Morris Morris

Joel turned towards queen Andrea with a grimly stern face when she protested against his anger towards Daquan. - "With all due respect, your majesty, my squire's wanton affair and short-sightedness almost cost you your daughter. At the very least he should have informed you or Leonard about his meet-up with Aliarna so guards could have been posted. We all know you wouldn't have denied the youngsters the chance. And yet he went along with the intruder's prospects anyhow. On that note... it would seem my senility is starting to catch up. There was a time I would have immediately gotten a suspicious person restrained and interrogated by myself. Now, I'm partially to blame in this scenario, for I didn't bother investigating that damn maid, content to believe it was all children's play."

"Joel, you couldn't have known." - Olette patted his back. - "There has been peace for decades. Frictions occur here and there, but for someone to poise a strike at the very heart of Krustivan... it was inconceivable up until now. Who would even want such a thing?"

Joel pondered on that, taking Leonard's comment about potentially going to war into account. - "Hmpf. I have a few guesses. Andrea's country of birth, for example, the Igthorne Principality. For them, it has been a cultural thing, and the subject of multiple border clashes in the past, that if a foreigner buys their women and marries, they may kidnap their children for ransom, on the grounds that elevating women is an affront to their way of life. I know for a fact they harbor a minority of changelings sworn to the servitude of their autocracy. And Aliarna would fetch a very, very hefty price." - he explained. - "Or it could be that demented usurper in Maelkith, Orean Cynbel. As far as I know, to this day he has no rightful heirs, and he has been lusting for Krustivan's lands as far as anyone can remember. I don't think he has given up, despite the peace treaty he signed with you, Leonard. I could read his eyes. His ambition knows no bounds, especially not moral ones. What better way would there be to create chaos and division in Krustivan than engineering a succession crisis? Or worse, forcefully wedding Aliarna-"

Olette put her hand on his husband's mouth, covering it up. - "Enough! Don't say such things. The mere idea of that sickening swine makes my stomach turn and my skin crawl."

Daquan sat apart from the discussion, contributing nothing worthwhile. He felt guilt eating away at him; he knew his lord's criticism of his actions were valid and justified. He should have been more careful and considerate, listened to his better judgement regarding Lucy. Yet again, the princess underwent a lot of discomfort because of him.

He looked to the princess, who, judging by her eyes, seemed to have been daydreaming, her thoughts and attentions being far from the debate concerning the dangers surrounding her. The queen was murmuring something to her daughter silently. The squire tilted his head curiously. The phenomenon of magic was a complex one, and one he was not an expert of by a longshot. At best he has heard folklore and caught some hearsay from Joel and Olette.

He has heard, among other things, that magicians were living conduits of natural, and, potentially, divine forces. Forces which are, by their own right, very much alive, sapient and have their own inscrutable agendas. And yet, many 'general' spells could be studied and practiced by all manner of magicians, regardless of elemental affinity or the lack of it. Some theorized that mages could draw their energy from the Ley Lines of the planet, but the soul of an individual mage could attract the attention of patron entities, such as spirits of nature, who can thus choose such a gifted individual to be their herald and wielder - hence the manifold different specializations and classifications of major wizardry schools.

The squire always fancied what it could be like to have magic at his disposal, but his time spent with Aliarna has mostly dissuaded him. Such power was as much a burden as it was a blessing. He was somewhat saddened that this was something he couldn't really help Aliarna with. He would support her in any way, but this issue of hers was something he couldn't really hope to understand, much less advise her on.

Joel stretched his long arms as Leonard brought up how the fake maid should be pursued. - "Worry not, Leonard, I've seen to that already. I told the guards to alert the huntmaster. As soon as they discern where the intruder spent her nights while in the castle, the dogs will be on her trail. Although I have my doubts if we'll be able to catch up. If that changeling was smart enough, she had a horse secured in advance and could be long miles away by now."

Daquan remembered how Lucy saved him from that bellycose noble - what was his name again? Egon le Douche? Doesn't matter - by informing him that his horse had been stolen. He wondered if there was a connection.

Lady Olette Vuldarak let out a sigh. - "I doubt we'll learn much overnight. We should all retire for now, I think. The youngsters could use a rest - in safe space, I might add." - she glanced at Andrea emphatically.

Joel Vuldarak nodded at the proposition. - "While on the topic, I think it will be for the best if we ourselves stay in the palace. If any new information comes up regarding the kidnapper, I want to know." - with that said, he adressed his squire: - "As for you, if you have something to say to the royal family, boy, better do it now."

Daquan let his head hung low. He couldn't bring himself to meet the Trusvar's eyes. - "I'm... I'm so very sorry, for exposing Aliarna to danger. I have made grave mistakes. I will strive to learn from them." - after a brief pause and a deep breath to calm himself, he sheepishly looked up, searching for Aliarna's gaze. - "Princess, I can only hope you'll forgive me... again." - he chuckled meekly at that - "And thanks for the dance. Have a sound night."

His mentor nodded. - "Good." - next thing Daquan felt was Joel lifting him up by the collar of his shirt, and starting to push him out of the room. It was clear Lord Vuldarak was still fuming.

Olette sighed. - "Well, that can't be helped I guess... goodnight Leonard, Andrea, you too sweet little Ali." - she smiled at the princess, patting her on the head once before going to catch up with her husband.

Andrea huffed a little bit, “Do not presume to know that I am not well aware of that fact. It was a calculated risk that he made there, but I also do not doubt my daughter’s abilities.” She said as she looked at Aliarna. “She might still be a novice, but she can do everything with the proper training.” She said as no one really explained to people without magic that it was more of a pact type deal. The wielder made a deal with the entity that manipulated their element and they worked together.

Leonard sighed a little bit, “now now let’s not get angry.” He said and then turned his attention to Joel. “Good, I want this person found... and Andrea’s kingdom shouldn’t have any ill will. Though I won’t deny that her parents have never even been to see our daughter.” He said as they hadn’t visited them because her parents always made an excuse for them to not visit. “Probably scared that I turned their daughter into an independent woman like a normal person and let her learn about her powers.” He said rolling his eyes a bit.

Leonard sighed a bit and nodded his head carefully, “Olette is right though... you couldn’t have known. However, Daquan, if you had asked me to spend a night with my daughter I would not have denied this. You two really hit it off and I hope you two can be great friends.” He said smiling softly as he liked the thought of his daughter having atleast one friend.

Soon though it was time to return to the rooms and rest. Aliarna looked at Daquan and nodded her head carefully. “I’m okay.” She said as she looked at her mom and smiled happily.

Andrea held her daughter close and chuckled. “Come on darling, it’s bed time now.” She said as she stood up carefully and helped Aliarna up and then looked at Daquan. “Goodnight,” she said as she watched him and then Joel and shook her head. She then looked to her husband. “I hope he is not too hard on the boy.” She said as she looked at her husband.

Leonard sighed a little bit as he rubbed the back of his head. “It’s Joel... he will be hard on him because he’s a knight in training.” He said as he looked at Aliarna and smiled softly as he kissed her head. “I’m glad your okay darling.” He said as he looked at her.

Aliarna smiled happily and nodded her head as she took in a deep breath. “I think I am tired.” She whispered as she rubbed her eyes yawning a little bit.

Morris Morris

Last edited:
Joel pulled his squire close by the arm, walking side by side down the hallways and stairs, managing to advance quite a bit forward to their quarters; Daquan felt that he was going to receive a sermon's worth of lecturing, compounded by promises of nightmarish training sequences when they get back home. He knew his lord well enough to recognise when he wanted to talk with him about things which were not for his wife to hear.

Unfortunately for him, Olette wasn't quite that far behind. - "Joel, for crying out loud, don't rush like that! I'm not in my twenties anymore to run after you." - a bit begrudgingly, Joel let go of his novice, waiting for Olette to catch up. She huffed a little while, but hasn't relented in her arguements. - "Besides, let Daquan have it easy. He has been honourable and brave like you taught him, he almost died to save the princess! The least he deserves is a quiet night's rest."

"I'll let him have it." - Joel reassured her - "After I've had a short chat with him. Strictly between squire and lord." - he held up his hand defensively when he saw Olette was going to counter-argue again: - "No, I'm not punishing him. But this is a matter of trust that I must adress."

Lady Olette sighed. - "Don't drag it out for long."

After they've gotten back to their rooms, Olette retired to bed soon enough, leaving a new blanket for her husband on the other half of the bed. Daquan had a seperate, smaller room, preferable for the private talk he was about to receive.

"Alright, then." - Joel closed his eyes a bit, taking a deep breath and releasing it slowly. - "I don't want to keep my sweet Olette waiting. And you have had your fill of excitement, too, boy." - he lifted his eyelids, revealing a ferocious, interrogative gaze. - "But even you must comprehend the stakes involved."

Daquan nodded silently. - "Yes, my lord. My involvement aside... for which I know you'll discipline me in accordance... someone is looking to undermine Krustivan, in a most insidious manner."

Joel walked around Daquan in a circle, connecting his ideas step-by-step. - "Nothing of this sort has ever happened before. Not during the reign of the Trustvars. Leonard is correct when he proclaimed that this would merit war. It's not a simple situation, that's for sure; if we can't catch the changeling and remain ignorant, it will only invite further attempts; and if we misidentify the culprit, innocents could be endangered." - he stopped his motion abruptly, turning to Daquan. - "Which is why I'm going to ask you this, squire, and you are going to answer with full honesty: have you told every single detail about the events, or is there something you forgot to mention?"

The squire kept silent for a moment. He knew he'd have to bring up that delicate detail... but he was unsure how his lord would take the news. Still, honesty was the only choice, since Aliarna was at risk. - "The changeling claimed to know you, Lord Joel. She mentioned you by name, and claimed to be indebted to you in some manner. She said that is why she didn't want to kill me if she didn't have to. Normally, I'd be skeptical, but... she was armed, and I could tell she'd be my equal or superior in close combat. She had the advantage... and yet, forsook it. It makes me wonder. Was she speaking the truth?"

Now it was Lord Joel Vuldarak's turn to widen his eyes in disbelief, and he was visibly struggling to keep his face straight. He averted his eyes from Daquan. - "Daquan. Do you know how changelings come to be?" - he inquired.

"They were humans, once." - Daquan recited the old stories he heard from the elder serfs of the Vuldarak estate. - "Children, offered by heartless parents to dark powers. Tortured, mutilated into a ruined, terrible form of life, meant for servitude to further malice and misery." - he kept a brief pause - "And, should a boy and girl changeling be together and really love each other, I suppose that would work too."

Joel let out a cynical chuckle at that remark. - "Yes, probably. But let's stick to the former example. If you happened upon a changeling who just got back to the realm of mortals, not even over ten years old... what would be the right thing to do?"

Daquan blinked in surprise. - "You mean to tell me-"

"It was perhaps two years before you were picked to be my squire." - Lord Joel reminiscened - "My dogs have followed a suspicious trail, following some mysterious animal deaths and the disappearence of a couple of lumberjacks in the Mordenwalt woods. Along with my retainers, we treaded deep, and found ourselves beholding a cult meeting, complete with live sacrifices. We didn't wait until the end, of course. We cut the bastards down like they deserved. But something happened. The grand pyre they danced around shoot up like a pillar of perdition, then collapsed into smoke and ashes... and in the midst of it all, lay this naked, frail young girl, with horns and amber eyes."

Daquan listened in utmost silence. Horns and amber eyes? Yes, that's definitely the same changeling.

"She was weak, vulnerable, shivering in the cold, couldn't make more sounds than a whimpering infant. We took pity on her. One of the serf families, the Humbolts, took her in, because they had no child of their own. They named her Lusynndael." - this detail caught Daquan's attention. Lusynndael... Lucy. She used the moniker deliberately. Such were the squire's thoughts, while Joel continued: - "Olette knitted her long clothes, so her wounds, scars and burn spots wouldn't be seen, and kerchiefs to hide her horns. She learned to speak, and played nice with the other kids..."

"So what happened?" - Daquen asked, redirecting the flow of his lord's memories.

Joel sighed sadly. - "One day, she murdered the Humbolts in the confines of their home. Jeremy with a hatchet, and Magda with a billhook knife. Then she ran off alone into the cold, bitter night. We never saw her again, never found her trails, like destiny itself didn't want her found."

"That... doesn't make any sense." - Daquan exclaimed - "Nobody snaps like that, murdering their caretakers out of the blue! Could she have really-"

"You can take the devils out of hell." - Joel interrupted - "But you can never take hell out of the devils. Still... to think, after all this time, and most likely after so much blood spilling... she hestiated."

Daquan locked eyes with Joel. - "So... how does that change anything?"

"She spied in the royal castle, conspired against the rightful sovereigns of Krustivan, and put two daggers into my favourite squire. Any of these merit a death penalty." - Joel stated grimly. - "Nevertheless, preferably she needs to be taken alive for interrogation. All I'll ask of you, Daquan, is to keep this a secret from Olette. She would plead for her, had she known. And, should push come to shove, and you'll be facing her, armaments in hand... grant no mercy. She deserves none."

Joel left Daquan alone with his thoughts. To think the Vuldaraks kept this burden to themselves... his lord must be feeling guilty for any and all who could have died because of that changeling. And yet, Daquan Amsel couldn't help but feel a tinge of pity for her. Was she, and all like her, truly beyond any and all redemption, condemned by the very nature of their existance?

Ultimately, he decided against further pondering. He was exhausted after the night's events, and was planning on sleeping in. He made a quick bedside prayer, for Aliarna's safety and pleasant dreams, and tucked himself in. Tomorrow would be a long day...

Somewhere else in the castle Queen Andrea was with her daughter Aliarna. Leonard was with them too. She helped Aliarna in getting into her night wear and put the dress she had been wearing aside in order to have the servants clean it for them. She tucked her daughter in as if she were a child and smiled softly.

“Now my daughter I have much to explain to you.” She whispered as she rubbed her daughters head carefully. “During that meeting, you got this look on your face. I can only assume you heard the element of water for the first time.” She said as she looked to her daughter for confirmation.

Aliarna nodded her head carefully. “Yes, it said it has many names... does fire too?’ She asked her mother and Andrea nodded her head.

“It does my darling... now, the fact that your hearing the water means that your ready to learn more about it.” She said as she watched her daughter closely to make sure she was with her on this. “Did you agree to what it said and what did it say?” She asked as she waited patiently.

Aliarna took a minute to remember what she heard the water say. “I made the deal because it said it could help me protect myself and the ones I love. That’s all I’ve ever wanted mom.” She said as she looked at her mother.

Andrea nodded her head and smiled, “and there is nothing wrong with that my darling little girl. A matter of fact it’s a good thing you can finally hear the water because it means you don’t need the charm bracelet anymore. It means that you can finally move forward in your studies. This is a good thing because that means that teaching you to control the water will be much easier now because your body will naturally be very receptive to learning.” She said as she watched her daughter.

Aliarna looked at her mother, “no more hurting myself or others?” She asked and Andrea nodded her head and smiled. “Good... I don’t want to hurt anyone anymore.” She said as she looked at her bed. “I want to be able to not have to worry about how my powers might scare everyone next or destroy the castle one day.” She said as she closed her eyes slowly. “I love you mom and dad.” She whispered before slowly drifting off to sleep.

Leonard looked to his wife and smiled softly, “good.” He said as Andrea came to him and they slowly made their way back to their room.

———

The next few days seemed to pass by rather uneventfully. Nothing could be found of the girl Lucy and it actually made Leonard a bit anxious because he worried that she would return and come after his daughter once more.

However, nothing stopped the classes and such from taking place. With the deal finally struck between wielder and element Andrea started teaching Aliarna about the basics of her own powers. Ways to use them in order to protect herself and those around her without hurting the environment she was in. She had her help the gardeners with watering the plants in order to test her abilities and everything was going splendidly.

There had been a few trip ups where her powers wouldn’t respond to her, but Andrea advised her daughter to keep a calm mind and to not over think what she was doing, that over thinking could lead to other issues.

None of them were aware of what was looming right around the corner. The chaos that was about to ensue and all the troubles they were about to have.

Leonard with sitting with his wife and daughter for lunch when a steward approached them, “your majesty there is an unexpected guest... you are needed in the throne room.” He said bowing respectfully to Leonard.

Leonard looked to the man and nodded his head, “come my darlings.” He said smiling as he got up. They had finished lunch by now and could go to the throne room together.

Upon getting there Leonard sat down on his throne with his wife Andrea next to him. Aliarna had a little pillow on the ground next to her mother. This was more of a personal choice than anything else. Aliarna hated to sit on the thrones (she had done it once or twice in practice for where she took the throne) and she must rather have a pillow instead of some gody looking thing to sit on to symbolize her status. She knew her parents kind of agreed, but that they didn’t get rid of the thrones because it was tradition for the King and Queen to sit on them.

It was just as Joel and Daquan had feared; in the following days, the interloper changeling wasn't found, no matter the number of search parties, no matter the amount of stones (and other objects) upturned. It was as if though she had merely vanished into thin air. There were a number of discoveries, like a fake letter of her temporary employment in the castle, a couple of throwing daggers she forgot here and there (besides the ones recovered from the saloon), an empty bottle reeking of Ludim, a strong sleep-inducting liquid, and a childish hand-sketched image of Aliarna and Daquan holding hands, surrounded by floating hearts. Lord Joel Vuldarak was quick to dismiss that as an attempt at slander, and put it to the torch before the guards could have objected.

Daquan assisted analysing the crime scene with painstaking attention to detail. As it turned out, Lucy was more thorough than he was ready to give her credit for; the distracted guard patrol, to whom she gave wine, fell asleep from the Ludim and were promptly tied up, gagged and piled into a pantry. And, more disturbingly, it was revealed to him that a hidden corridor ran beside the gallery hall, with peeking holes behind one of the portraits... Lucy could have very well watched them the entire time; by extension, she could have witnessed the squire's kiss with Aliarna. This can't be good.

At any event, he couldn't spend much time with Aliarna. Perhaps it was for the best. She needed to be with her parents now, and studying with her mother would likely help her get over the events faster than anything else. Right now, the greatest service he could do for her is to stay vigilant, and prevent another attempt on her life.

Little did the Vuldaraks know of the true nature of the coming storm. At the very least... up and until Joel and Daquan were strolling on the castle walls, with the patriarch of the Vuldarak house ranting over how lazy and complacent the royal guard has grown in these peaceful times. Daquan let it all past his ears, looking towards the horizon, when suddenly, he saw horsemen with banners approaching. He had quite keen eyesight, but at this distance he couldn't quite make out the heraldry. The hornblowers on the bastion signalled their companions; now Joel, too, took notice. As they closed the distance towards the palace, both men's eyes widened.

A monstrous black boar in yellow field, standing atop a green hill with a spruce tree in the background. It was a delegation from Maelkith. Joel bit his lips. - "Oh no."

The delegation which entered the prestigious throne room of the Trustvar family wasn't big in size, merely six people in total. A knight - or someone who dressed as such, if one was to overlook the menacing black-colored armor - along with two banner bearers and two armed escorts, and last but not least, the person in charge; a man in his late twenties, perhaps, with golden locks and strikingly different, dark brown-toned goatee beard, hinting at the fact that he was dying his hair. His armor was far more ornate, befitting of high nobility, dominantly blue-painted and to a lesser extent silver and gilded. The rest of the arrivals knelt down, a customary display of respect; but not him. The best he did was a slight bow of his head. He eyed the Trustvars with a contemptuous glare... until he saw Aliarna. Then his expression shifted to one of mild, oppressed amusement. Probably because of the pillow, which just seemed out of the picture.

The royal guards of the palace far outnumbered the visitors; after the kidnapping attempt on the princess, they were far more dutiful and attentive, bolstered by their sense of failure a few nights back, and by their resentment of Maelkith in general. They knew they could expect no good intent from these heralds, these... honorless dogs. The captain of the guard, Sir Solar Ricks, announced their presence with a sneering grimace: - "Your royal majesties, I hereby pronounce the arrival of Calvin Reinfeld, bladesworn captain of Maelkith, and... whoever this pompous prick is, because he refused to identify himself."

"I alone decide to whom and when do I reveal myself." - the man in the embellished armor proclaimed. - "Luckily for us all, that time is here and now, and you are all my deserving audience." - with that theatrical proclamation, he reached into the neck crevice of his armor, pulling out a small pendant; and the dark warrior from Maelkith stood next to him, unrolling some ages old parchment, putting it on display. - "I am Robert Dietrich of house Callouxford, bound by blood relation as cousin to King Archibald Callouxford, last rightful ruler of Krustivan. I am finally home - and by the standing laws of succession, I seek my birthright restored!"

The silence was deafening. Nobody measured the time it lasted for, but it was uncomfortably long for everyone involved, up and until Sir Solar Ricks promptly broke it: - "Well, sh*t."

King Leonard would have usually been one to love theatrics. However, in the days since his daughters attempted kidnapping he had become much harder on anyone who entered the castle that was foreign. He had been investigating all his servants, even Aliarna’s personal servants. He had been doing a lot of investigation on his own, but he was nothing like Joel and he was aware of that.

Of course that didn’t say he wasn’t listening. He was listening while the young man rambled on about not wanting anyone other than him, his wife, and his daughter to hear what he had to say and of course he shook his head when the young man proclaimed that he was King Archibald’s distant cousin.

Andrea looked to her husband for a moment, “dear.” She said as she wondered why he was taking so long to respond. After all, it wasn’t like she knew much about the previous dynasty herself, being a foreign noble herself.

Leonard looked to his wife for a moment and smiled as he grabbed her hand carefully and gave it a gentle squeeze. He was starting to grow a bit of a stubble where a beard would form if he wasn’t careful. This was new because he was so busy in his investigation that he hadn’t been shaving.

He soon rose from his seat and sighed a little bit, “I’m sure you can understand that we will not be handing anything over with proof. We’ve had many come over the years claiming to be King Archibald’s family. Some claiming to be bastard children while others claim to be cousins, aunts, uncles, things of that nature.” He said as he started walking around a bit as he simply couldn’t sit still anymore.

“So, my young sir you will not be “claiming your birthright” today.” He said as he put claiming your birthright in quotes. “Also, I am not willing to give up the power that is as of now rightfully mine and my families, especially after I can’t clear you of being who you say you are as well as the attempted kidnapping of my daughter.” He said as he looked at the boy. He couldn’t tell if the boy was lying or not, and as of right now he honestly didn’t care if the boy was lying or not.

“Now you can either leave here peacefully without a problem, or I can have you escorted out.” He said as he wasn’t going to attack someone unless they gave him and his guards no other choice.

Morris Morris

There was something of an unamused, cynical smirk playing on the would-be claimant's face. Evidently he was expecting a much harsher reprisal; however, he did raise an eyebrow over the kidnapping attempt being brought up. From the corner of his eye, he glanced towards the princess, as if measuring her, before meeting Leonard's gaze again. - "I see house Trustvar's way with words has waned over the years. Now that the power lies in your hands, I suppose its natural to want to flaunt it. And, sincerely, I can't blame you for your skepticism; I'm certain Krustivan has had its fair number of pretenders to the throne..."

"About five or six in the past twenty years alone." - the captain of the royal guard muttered underneath his long moustache, rolling his eyes.

"...but I can back my claims. Moreover, I know naught of any sinister plots regarding your daughter. She is an exotic flower, all things considered; it would be no surprise if someone desperately yearned for her..."

"He'll have to get in line." - captain Ricks exchanged knowing looks with his fellow guards, who had the misfortune of having had to investigate Daquan and Aliarna's meet-up spot.

"At any rate, let us not mince words." - Robert declared, and lifted his pendant. - "As all involved are aware, it is a Callouxford tradition to pass on a pearl-encrusted artifact known as the Inheritance Medal. With a droplet of blood, the medal immortalizes the name and lineage, so long as it is one and the same bloodline as the previous wielder. It then stores this information, which can be drawn out unto paper by magical conjuration. The medallion I hold is a true Inheritance Medal. And, more than that, the parchment that my escort, Calvin Reinfeld carries with him, originates from the archives of the Farlorn Hill monastery, the monks of which were the greatest tracers of the Callouxford family's descendants."

"That's the same monastery which burned down about fourty years ago, courtesy of Maelkith?" - Ricks intercepted yet again.

"Yup." - the black-armored armsman casually replied. - "My dad threw the first torch himself. Turns out there was a hidden underground compartment beneath the altar, though, with copies of a lot of fancy scribblings. We wanted to use them as toilet paper, but our boss didn't let us. But at least I got an excuse to visit Krustivan as a result! It's such a lovely place." - he added cheerfully as an explaination, prompting Robert to bury his face in his palm. The guard captain just stared blankly at the audicious tale, which he felt was about the most likely part of this whole charade to be actually true.

It was around that point that Lord Joel Vuldarak, with his squire at his side, revealed themselves, coming into the throneroom. Joel this time was incredibly dismissive of protocol, perhaps because of the lack of any higher nobles being present, or maybe due to his personal resentment and worry over what the delegation stood for. Daquan had been trying to talk him down from just barging in uninvited, but all he could persuade him of was to at least listen in on first before doing anything rash. Now, when the evidences were discussed, he pretty much stomped across the bright carpets towards the potential claimant. - "Nice story. You'd forgive us if we don't naively devour every scrap of information you toss us."

Surprised, Robert turned around, examining the new arrivals quickly, whilst Joel made some hasty excuses to Leonard for the interruption. - "Ah. House Vuldarak represents itself, free to roam these hallowed halls unsupervised? Clearly, your relation with the Trustvars must have carried you to lofty heights. But surely you haven't forgotten who gave you that chance?"

"Oh, we remember alright." - Joel snapped. - "And we likewise remember how the Callouxfords bent to peer pressure and made a mockery of their promise to our ancestor. Do not tug on threads of sympathy here, because there are none, even if you are who you claim to be. Which is doubtful. Your pendant and scroll could be valid. But you could still be a pretender all the same, with no way for us to distinguish the fact. Especially after a whole century after the official decline of the Callouxford dynasty."

Robert Dietrich chuckled smugly. - "How outspoken. It would appear that the respect of the monarchy has been on a steady decline. But I wouldn't have expected anything less from the silk-tongued Trusvars. Hence, I came with much more than mere words and trinkets." - with that said, he pulled out a small crystal globe from underneath his cloak, placing it on the floor.

After the muttering of some activation phrase, an image of a person was conjured forth above the crystal orb, as an illusory projection; he was garbed in kingly robes and jewelry, wearing a somewhat simplistic but well-polished golden crown, leaning forward on a ridiculously ornate, steel-shafted shepherd's axe, which he used as a walking stick. His hair was messy, long and grey, reaching to his shoulders, and his face adorned with wrinkles borne of sadistic grimaces and heinous laughs. But his eyes, his cold, piercing, icy blue eyes, shining with wicked intellect, were eternally young.

Daquan heard enough from his lord to recognise the man. Orean Cynbel, tyrant and usurper of Maelkith, and all-around greatest, cruelest bastard to inhabit this corner of the world.

The image lifted its head, gazing towards the Trustvars with an unsettling look about him. He gleefully smiled. - "It's been a while, hasn't it, Leonard? I see your wife has aged quite well. And oh, look! Your sweet lil' daughter is all grown up. And yet she still sits on pillows. How... abhorrently adorable."

Leonard sighed as he looked at the boy and shook his head. “I will not hear any more of this sheraide!” He said as he waved his hand dismissively. “Also do not dare talk about my daughter as if she is some kind of piece of meat young boy!” He yelled as he was done with these shenanigans. With these people in his throne room throwing accusations around like they even knew what they were talking about.

Aliarna has never seen his father this upset. She looked at him for a moment and blinked before looking to her mother. Her mother offered a smile as she reached her hand out to her. She knew her daughter must be a bit frightened. However she soon stood up once her daughter was calm.

“I think I’ve heard enough of this.” She said as she looked at them. “You have not brought a trustworthy source... even a source at that. He is no better than a usurper and tyrant.” She said as she looked at the man. “He doesn’t even rightfully own his own throne.” She said as she knew enough history to know that he was a conqueror and that he would back anyone to expand his power.

Leonard looked to his wife and chuckled a little bit. “She is right, I am having none of this.” He said as he sat down finally. “You have done nothing here but insult my family and I and any proper diplomat would know better than to insult anyone. I would do myself a favor boy and not take lessons from him.” He said as he looked at the boy.

“Now my offer stands, leave here at once without a problem or I will have you escorted out.” He said as he watched him closely and then look to Joel and Daquan.

It was one thing to insult his family, but insult the other nobels was another thing. Also, he didn’t trust this boys word at all. For all he knew this guy was just trying to usurp power and was lying about the kidnapping attempt. Right now saying his walls were up and in the defense would be an understatement.

Aliarna looked at her father for a moment and then around the room. She liked her pillow, she didn’t understand why more people didn’t sit on pillows. She had been taught that sitting on pillows was actually more beneficial for posture and such things.

Morris Morris

Robert crossed his arms, standing in silent defiance of the Trustvars' outrage. Orean Cynbel's projection gently chuckled at the royal pair's reaction to his presence, as if savouring the uneasy atmosphere. He softly shook his head, raising a hand with index finger extended, waving it gently, as if a parent scolding children: - "Tsk tsk, you aren't rightfully on the throne either in the event that any proper Callouxfords live and breathe, friends. I was plainly more honest in my ambitions to get my seat, as opposed to bribery, blackmail or whatever you dealt in behind the scenes to get yours."

"It's called diplomacy. You should look it up sometime." - Joel remarked with a snark.

"Hush, Joel. Go take yourself for a walk or something." - Orean dismissed him with a sleight of hand, turning his attention back to the Trustvars. There was something especially sinister in his expression at this moment: - "Now, Leonard. I know you want this discomforting chat to end soon. But don't act rashly. Rightful rulership this or that, my word has weight behind it, and I believe this is a lesson you haven't forgotten all these years."

Joel Vuldarak frowned at the statement, and Daquan understood what he referred to. Maelkith and Krustivan have been at war multiple times, with Orean leading his army bent on conquest and pillaging. They have always been forced out in the end, but the cost was high each time. So many villages burned. Castles crushed to rubble. Thousands dead, and just as much dragged off to slave labour. Many historical artefacts, magical wonders, and ordinary riches alike taken away from rightful owners, never to be recovered. Each time, it got worse; Orean had men to spare, and was a quick learner, resulting in mounting loss of life and wealth to Krustivan.

Why did Orean sit down for peace talks about twenty years ago, despite mounting successes? Nobody knew for sure. Some said he just got bored and wanted to fight someone else. Some cited he realised the logistical impossibilities of winning a prolonged war, especially if the threatened borders would not be re-settled eventually. Others spoke of slave and peasant revolts he had to supress, and solidify his rulership because he couldn't maintain his army without straining the economy. None of this could be verified, of course. Nevertheless... no matter how unexpected it was, the Trustvars agreed to negotiate. Aliarna was a mere baby yet; to ensure her happy upbringing, the Trusvars were willing to take the chances. Orean was uncharacteristically generous, he barely demanded any tribute at all and hasn't bothered Krustivan much ever since.

But today, the frail peace in which princess Aliarna could grew up in was in a tenuous balance; or, more precisely, teetering on the brink, facing the abyss.

Orean leaned forward, his wrinkles twisting his sneering face to an intimidating grimace. - "Well then. Here's the deal. I have reasons to believe this young lad has valid claimancy to the throne of Krustivan. But of course, even if you were to believe him, I know by personal experience how comfy a cushioned throne is, of course you wouldn't yield it to just anybody. But ah, here's the catch: we have both neglected a teeny, tiny, but ever so important detail about our regal responsibilities. Succession! You didn't marry off your daughter, and I have no rightful heirs to call my own. But now, fate has given us this chance to set everything right."

Daquan blinked, as Orean's intentions dawned on him. - "Oh, I get it. You wretched excuse of a gargoyle. You want to force Aliarna to marry this... man." - he almost spat on the floor as he pronounced the word; he had something more malignant in mind, but decided to keep his manners up. - "And then, you'd appoint him your successor, or have him swear vassalage. Then, whenever he'll get to sit on the throne, Krustivan and Maelkith would be coinjoined in personal union. Except you could just have the Trustvars killed off, to hasten the process. And if you haven't kicked the bucket by then, you'll be in total control for the rest of your life, using Robert Dietrich as your puppet, free to disgrace and despoil the world further in any way you desire, with all the more resources at hand. And if his majesty Leonard doesn't cooperate, you'll threaten us with war, because you don't care for the cost, so long as you get the result you want. Makes sense you'd even stoop to a kidnapping attempt, to wed Aliarna forcefully and keep her hostage to blackmail her royal parents. Except it didn't work. So now you reveal your hand."

Orean Cynbel actually turned around; he didn't speak up, but rather calmly examined Daquan. He locked gazes with him; the squire felt something akin to that sensation when he was stared at during the ball, except this was worse. It was less like a myriad stings of contemptful prejudice; rather, a singular, shameful, pressuring force of admiration from a monster.

Ultimately, Orean turned to Leonard and Andrea: - "Keep an eye on the pup. He'll be going to high places, I tell you." - he chukled with sincerity in his voice.

The squire was slackjawed. - "Wait. You actually admit to all this?!"

"Oh, sure, why not? I'll admit to everything! Forgery, kidnapping, kicking puppies, whatever!" - Orean waved his arms around in a theatrically mocking manner. - "It's not like you'd believe me even if I maintained my innocence. You hypocritical, prejudiced bigots. Bleh." - he mimicked disgust on that last part, sticking out his tongue comically. - "Anyhow, Joel's newest protegee got my intent more or less straight. Robert Dietrich is under my protectorate. Any harm coming to him is grounds for armed conflict. And I know you don't like wars, Leonard. Not like I do. So consider the alternative. We can end any and all bellingerence between our nations once and for all. Your daughter wouldn't be harassed for marriage anymore, and I wouldn't ruin your vacations in the summer ever again. Everyone will be happy and alive. Isn't that what you always wanted?" - he laughed at his own crude sentiment.

Leonard looked at the projection and gritted his teeth. “You attempted to kidnap my daughter and now you expect me to agree to such a proposition of marriage? You take me for a fool.” He said shaking his head as he stood up once more.

“You want a war you’ve got a war. Our kingdoms will never unite and my daughter will not marry whatever dog you seem to think I will so happily agree to. No, my daughter is not a piece of meat, as I so woefully explained earlier.” He said as he looked at the projection.

“Get this slimy bastard out of this throne room right now! I have heard enough!” He yelled as he was done with this. This usurper really thought he would agree to marry his daughter off after he admitted he attempted to kidnap his daughter and force it that way.

The guards soon stood at attention at the order to get them out of the throne room. They would have usually been calm about this, but since their King was so upset it was better to deal with this situation hastily.

A few drew swords, “I believe the King said he was done with this conversation.” One said as they approached and looked at the group. “Now you can get out.” He said shoving one of them.

The others soon surrounded. The company was outnumbered to say the least. They started pushing them out of the room. It wasn’t like they were going to be gentle about the attempted kidnappers of the future sovereign. They had after all done something worthy of a declaration of war.

Two of the guards stayed behind and closed the door behind the group escorting the usurpers party out.

Leonard shook his head, “slimy bastard.” He muttered as he looked at Aliarna for a moment and sighed. He knew her lack of marriage would become an issue sooner or later, but he wasn’t going to marry her off to the usurpers puppet.

Aliarna looked at her father, “war means that we will lose men.” She said and Leonard nodded his head. “Yes, and this will be a lot more costly than the usurpers usual attacks.” He admitted as he knew his daughter was quiet perceptive. “We’ll have to call those around us to war, put out the posters. Unfortunately due to the already low population of our nation even the noble boys can’t be excluded.” He said as he sighed a bit.

“I won’t take them all though... only one from each noble family.” He said as it sucked having to plan a war, but in all honesty Maelkith had given them enough grounds for war with the attempted kidnapping.

Andrea looked st her husband, “Leo... the noble boys would have to be trained a lot more than trained knights.” She said and Leonard sighed a bit, “here is the issue my love. Many of the knights have died and those that haven’t are much out of practice as it is. Either way we would have to train people.” He said as he looked at his wife. “It is an unsettling position to say the least, but there is nothing we can do about it. We need the numbers if we even hope to make a dent in Maelkith’s army.” He said as he hated to do this.

“Unfortunately that means your squire needs to be drafted Joel.” He said as he hated it, “I’ve heard many good things about him and his training. If he’s truly as good as everyone rumors, then I have no doubt he could hold his own.” He said as he looked at Daquan.

Aliarna would have protested if it wouldn’t give away more than she would want it to. “Father, is this best advised?” She asked trying to hide her discomfort.

Leonard sighed, “it is my daughter.” He said as he went and rubbed her head. “To protect you and your mother no cost is too high.” He said as he smiled softly.

Morris Morris

Orean Cynbel's illusory figure gave a last, raspy laughter as Leonard issued his challenge. - "We'll see how long your support at home will last, Leonard, when your people will see you driving them to the slaughter for the sake of your spoiled little wench. Either way, your decision suits me just fine." - he looked to Robert next: - "Return to me, Robert. The dice is cast, and destiny is in motion."

The young man barely had enough time to reclaim the crystal orb and switch it off before being expelled in an expeditive manner. The royal guard captain assured him he's being lucky, that he's so politically weightless and insignificant that his majesty Leonard didn't consider him worth beheading for his bad manners. Robert didn't answer to him; he cast a glance towards Daquan and Joel, as if wordlessly remarking that this wasn't the last time they met. The other delegation members were bit more outspoken, protesting that they were just escorts and this was exceedingly rude.

After the visitors were more or less (im)politely moved out of the throne room, the crushing weight of stressful anxiety became evident therein. Joel Vuldarak let out a deep sigh. He fought in the wars to repel Maelkith. He knew what meeting them again would involve. He looked to king Leonard with a worried face, as he elaborated on his drafting plans: - "Leonard, we must be more drastic. If we are to achieve victory with strength of arms, none can be excluded. Every family, from serfs to dukes, must send as many of their offspring as they can spare, save for those who are young or unhealthy, or are first in line of succession. You are right, however, that training will be crucial. Beside the maquises of the borderlands and their personal militias, we have no proper soldiers with active experience. The heroes of the last war are old or deceased, and their heirs have grown soft in these peaceful times."

Sir Solar Ricks saluted his sovereign, standing at attention, as a sign that he had something to say. - "If I may intercept, your highness. We may need not be alone in this endeavour. Let us send word to any and all neighbours - to the centaurs of the east frontier, to the orcs of the twin city-states of Kraznuk and Mogron, to the Carunthian League in the north and the kingdom of Mun Lidhe southward. Doubtlessly at least some of them ought to have a bone or two to pick with this warmongering tyrant."

"That's a good idea, too." - Joel Vuldarak admitted. - "A war on multiple fronts may very well be the only realistic chance to halt Orean. As big as his army is, he'd have to divide it."

Then, the conversation arrived to the point where Daquan's participation was brought up.

Joel looked to his squire with a worried, fatherly gaze. He was a harsh trainer, and knew he had done a good job with the lad, but he had not even experienced taking a human life yet, let alone witness the true savagery of a real war. He turned to Daquan, biting his lip; he wouldn't outright defy his king on this matter, and he knew this moment would eventually come in the boy's life. But it was a hard moment nonetheless.

Daquan locked gazes with Aliarna. He felt as if his heart was being strangled; their time spent together was so short, yet so wondorous. His feelings for her haven't changed - quite the contrary. Which was precisely what made him all the more uncomfortable here and now: finally, he was called to serve. This was what he had been preparing and training for ever since Lord Joel Vuldarak took him under his tutelage. Had it happened just a mere week ago, there would have been nothing for him to fear. Alas... now there was something. The dreadful possibility, the harsh, very realistic chance, that Aliarna and him will not meet anew - or if so... he will not be the same young man she could have loved.

On the other hand... no, there was no other hand.

Daquan walked closer to the throne, kneeling and bowing his head. - "It will be my honor to serve the crown of Krustivan, my liege."

Joel walked up beside him and patted the top of his squire's head in a somewhat belittling manner, as if petting a puppy. - "We're all going. Me, my sons Uldred and Thomas, my previous novice Myrtill, the sons and daughters of our families, and our dogs and birds, too." - he declared. - "If we are to wage war, let's make it a memorable one."

Daquan stood up, slightly embarrassed by his lord's gesture. He agreed with his line of thought, however; he fired himself up, using his sadness to channel fury instead. He had felt love, and now this abhorrent, insatiable curmudgeon of Maelkith was looking to take it away from him. Well, he's not going to let him. Not without a fight. - "I grew up listening to tales of the vile deeds and horrific acts of Orean Cynbel. He has gone unchallenged long enough. For princess Aliarna's sake, and for the good of Krustivan's people, it's time he met true opposition."

Last edited:
Leonard nodded in agreement that the knights who were still alive from the last war at this point were weak and old. They certainly couldn’t do much, but he also knew they wouldn’t deny going to war either. They were quiet glued to their cause and their age wouldn’t stop them from defending the crown. Though he also thought that Orean was wrong about the people being angry about a war. After all, many of the people had advocated for a war before the signing of the treaty.

He soon thought about Joel’s other proposition about asking their neighbors for aid. “It would bolster our numbers.” He admitted as he rubbed his chin a bit as he thought. “And we need all the aid we can get. Best we send word to them about the coming war and see if they can offer any aid.” He said as he sighed a bit.

“The one problem we have is the changing girl... Orean is using changlings which means we have to screen for them in our armies and make sure that if any were to slip in they were either dealt with or we were positive they were on our side.” He said as he tried to think about ways to detect changlings that his father had mentioned when he was younger.

“Everyone will have to wear a piece of silver... I believe that’s the right stuff.” He said as he thought about it. “That way we would be able to detect who could be trying to infiltrate our ranks.” He said as he walked around kind of nervously.

“This is certainly going to cause some strife... we need the farmers to be working hard in order to provide for their families as well as the armies.” He said as it certainly would put a strain.

Andrea smiled softly, “leave that to Aliarna and I. It would be good practice for her with her abilities and as such I think that it would alleviate some of the stress on them.” She said as they would do anything to make things easier on the farmers.

Aliarna looked at her parents for a moment and kind of narrowed her eyes. We’re they signing her up for things? Yes they were and while she would usually be all too willing she kind of didn’t want to practice her powers in a real world setting. Then of course came the realization about what her father said earlier.

Daquan would be drafted to war too and while this would be a big thing for him because it would basically make him a knight, there were so many other potentials there, like death... and death... and death!

Morris Morris

The captain of the guard bowed, excusing himself from the scene: - "I shall have the messengers alerted immediately, my liege."

Daquan put forth a confident face, but when he saw Aliarna's frightened expression, his heart jumped a little. It was all too obvious she was aware of the implications of this situation, and was frightened by them. Hopefully the water system would not implode upon itself on this occasion...

Joel listened to the remark about needing silver, and nodded in agreement: - "Yes, silver or electrum both ought to do the trick. They both strip away simple illusions and irritate unnatural beings." - he paused for a moment, as he caught glimpse of the looks the two youngsters exchanged. - "Speaking of which, I'll have to have our werewolf skins fetched. Hear that, Daquan? You're finally getting to wear one. Isn't that wonderful, boy?" - he smirked at him as he grabbed him by the arm and started escorting him out. - "Come, we have a lot of work to do, and our king and queen need their own time to plan and organise."

He hastily said farewell to the Trustvars, leading Daquan a few corridors away before confronting him. - "Don't say I didn't warn you, squire. Because I did. It could only end one way: in sadness."

Daquan kept silent for a moment, not lifting his eyes. He felt a wrenching sensation in his throat. He needed to force himself to speak up: - "My Lord, I'm sorry. But I can't help it. I love her."

"Yes. That's what I was afraid of. And I know girls well enough to see she loves you in turn." - Joel sighed. - "Now, the question is: do you love her enough to let her go?" - seeing Daquan's hesitance, he continued - "Even if we make our darnest to survive, you can very well get injured, crippled, disfigured, or worse. Naturally, if you are lucky you'll get your knighthood, perhaps even higher rank if you do well. But by then, who knows if she'll still see you a kindly boy - as opposed to a murderer you'll have to become?"

The squire was quite aware of these problems. But his mentor pushing them into his face was like repeated stabbing from a dagger, and no less painful for it. - "I will... I will make sure to part in good spirit."

Joel let go of him. - "I suppose that's the best I can expect. I won't ask you to forget her, because her dignity and future is at stake, and if you'll need a cause to cling unto in desperation, that's as good as it can get." - he laid his hand supportively on Daquan's back. - "Now come. We have much to attend to."

And so, politics and diplomatic manners have heated up in short order. Soon, word has spread across Krustivan, and to the neighbouring nations: Orean Cynbel, the tyrant of Maelkith, had attempted to have princess Aliarna kidnapped, and this was more than enough ground to declare war. The nobility of Krustivan had mixed reactions, to say the least; some were scared, advocating for simply barring the borders from Maelkith. Some, who suffered firsthand at the ravages of Orean, let loose cries of revenge, eager for righteous retribution at long last. Some tried to excuse themselves and their subjects from drafting orders, arguing they would have no people left to tend to tend to the land, whilst others all armed themselves without hesitance, from grandparents to the youngest child.

Fortune wasn't exactly on the side of Krustivan in terms of gaining allies, either; Orean Cynbel's reputation was so fierce - and rightfully earned, by the way - that the mere thought of entering war with him was grounds to cease any and all negotiations when the subject was brought up. Still, there were some positive developments.

The Carunthian League, while otherwise preferring to stand well behind their robust defensive lines, agreed to provide support with war material, volunteer artisans as logistical support crew, and a single battalion of veteran soldiers. Mun Lidhe was more dodgy on the issue, but ultimately made promises that they would launch a small offensive of their own as a distraction when the time is right. The reclusive orcs of the twin city states were at the very least straightforward in their terms: they would hire themselves out as mercenaries, but only in limited numbers to ensure their own defenses were not compromised. The centaur clans who made their dwelling in the eastern fringes of Krustivan were more enthusiastic; while they embraced more peaceful ways since the days of their invading ancestors, they haven't forgotten their debts to the Trustvars who gave them a new home, and would send many of their number to repay this ancestral debt.

On a less positive note, the identity of the would-be kidnapper sent the countryfolk into an uproar, and persecution for witchcraft was swift to escalate from legitimate vigilance to rampant paranoia on more than one occasion. It would certainly dissuade another attempt... but was the cost worth it? That's an open question for the ages.

Daquan spent his time training rigorously on the palace grounds, and having had to attend lots of logistical and strategic meetings. It was only slightly eased by the fact that the rest of his lord's family, who treated him as their own little sibling, came to join them. Joel also had a talk with Olette, agreeing not to tell them about Daquan's ongoing affairs; they felt it was for the best.

Days were passing fast, and the squire was exhausted as much physically as mentally. No wonder the Trustvars loathed the idea of war, if the organisation work is this tremendous and terrible, he dreaded to think what an actual battle will be like. This was an idea which ticked something off in his mind. He felt like he was forgetting something... no, someone. His meetings with Aliarna were few and far between, limited to brief seconds and very few words. It's not like he had much time to spare, but still... at this point, it was obvious Joel and company wouldn't be lingering in the castle for long. They would have to go home and organise their own forces, then meet up with the rest of the swelling Krustivan army for training and coordination.

As much as he feared doing the deed, he had to speak with Aliarna. He had to bid her farewell, and ask her to just plainly forget him. The thought was no less torturous than before - but it had to be done.

One day, he finally gathered the courage and asked one of the guards who were involved in the investigation of the kidnapping scene to slide a note under her chamber door. After the guard interrogated him and made sure he wouldn't be luring the princess to any place dangerously exposed, and asked for a sizable bribe for the act, he agreed to it. Thus, Aliarna was invited to another meeting - this time, in the palace gardens, beside one of the fountains. The palace guards were watching all entrances now, but within the maze of shrubbery, they could have a little privacy until the night shift patrol arrives. Enough time to chat... for a last time.

Aliarna herself had been quite busy with her studies. She had to keep the illusion of everything being normal, but in reality the world felt like it was crashing around her. Surprisingly however she hadn’t had an outburst with her water abilities since the night of her kidnapping. With all the panic she had expected to have an accident, but had yet to have any such accidents.

So, as life moved on she got the crazy idea to infiltrate the army. After all her mother had been teaching her a new magical spell to disguise herself. It was so that she could go out in public without being hassled, but she had other plans for such a spell. The spell could be used to change ones gender and all over physical appearance.

She had been experimenting with the power and it wasn’t an exact science yet, but she was becoming better and better with it by the day. Though one miss use of the words and she could end up looking a lot different than she intended.

After days of working out this plan she got a note from Daquan and looked at it for a moment and then started preparing.

She didn’t quiet know what she wanted to wear, but she settled on a simple red dress that was long sleeved to go with the cooling weather outside as the beginning of summer always had cooler nights than the middle.

So, as she departed her room she made sure she wouldn’t be sweating or shivering before she made her way towards the garden. Her hair was wavy as usual, no curls or straightened hair today. She just went for a simple look.

Her bruises and cut had all but cleared up, so she wasn’t wearing any make up either

Morris Morris

Daquan had already been waiting for Aliarna when she arrived; he was pacing around the fountain nervously. He decided against any pretty garb, instead just taking plain linen trousers and his gambeson for the occasion. The statue rising above the watery pool involved a falconer showing off his hunting bird to a pretty commoner girl carrying a water pot, who seemed so excited at the prospect of petting the falcon that she absentmindedly let her pot spill - which provided the content of the fountain, where water lilies were growing and blossoming even now. The Sun was getting lower on the horizon, and the Moon put itself on a hollow display already on the cloudless sky.

Was everything in this estate purpose-built to be romantic? - Daquan wondered. Then again, considering the happy marriage of the Trustvar couple, the idea didn't seem far-fetched.

At long last, the princess arrived; the squire took a fleeting moment to savour her sight. A red dress, same shade of vermilion as at the lunch with her regal parents, and this time no fancy cosmetics, nothing extravagant; were it not for the expensive material of her clothing and her still ever purple hair, she could have very well passed for a daughter of a gentry or a knightly family. It didn't took anything away from her glamour in Daquan's eyes, though; if anything, her unkept wholesomeness tugged at his heartstrings even more.

"I'm glad you could come, Aliarna." - he smiled at her, taking her hand into his palm. No matter the seriousness of what he had to say, he didn't want to start nor finish on a sour note. - "You are not feeling cold, are you? I could offer my pelt, if you have need." - he inquired first and foremost. - "Well... we have a lot to talk over, I'm sure. But I would like to know how you are coping. I know our duties keep us both busy, but underneath, I think it's quite a pressure." - he escorted her to a nearby bench, sitting next to an elevated flower bed of white and purple petunias. - "I just... I suppose I just wish to hear you are feeling alright."

Aliarna smiled as she saw Daquan and looked at him for a moment as she was surprised a bit. He already was starting to look a bit different with the training, or maybe it was just because she hadn’t seen him in awhile and now suddenly seeing him made it seem like he had changed. Either way it didn’t matter because she was happy to see him and to get to spend some time with him atleast in her current form. She wouldn’t speak of what she was planning to do.

So, as she walked with him and sighed a little bit as she thought about what had been happening since they last saw each other. Of course he knew about the war and everything because he was there when her father declared it. Other than lessons she hadn’t been really doing much.

“Well... I’ve been mostly in lessons so I haven’t had time to focus on much.” She whispered as she thought a bit more about what was going on. “I guess I’ve been a bit stressed, but I haven’t had an outburst since that night.” She mentioned as she looked at Daquan and smiled proudly.

“Mother says my studies have actually been going quiet well, but that I’m still considered a novice.” She admitted as she thought about more she could tell him about. She was avoiding the spells she had been learning as she didn’t want him to know about her plan. He would try to talk her out of it and she didn’t want to be talked out of it. She wanted to go ahead with her plan.

Morris Morris

"Oh, I'm certain you'll master your magic in the span of a few years." - Daquan reassured her, glad to hear that Aliarna's control was improving so steadily. No more floodings, no more hailstorms, no more renovation fees. - "I just hope the emergency crew won't lose its job. Maybe they should join the royal guard, their response times were far better to crisises than theirs..." - he chukled at the thought.

He paused a bit, admiring Aliarna's bright blue eyes. No matter how many times she saw them, he felt he should draw a map of them, because he was so often lost in their depths. The princess seemed... hesitant, perhaps, to speak of something other than her lessons. Perhaps could anticipate - nay, she must have been aware why the squire called her here. Daquan tilted his head, his smile turning bittersweet. - "Your mother is doubtlessly a good teacher. And you'll be learning fast from her. It is a good thing, especially now... power like yours will be a great boon in tending the farmlands. You'll be saving a lot of burden for those who have to stay behind and tend to the crops." - he told her. It would be for the best, admittedly; she would get practice, and support the war effort in her own way, while staying safe at home. There was no more ideal a position he could have conceived for her.

For a while, they chatted some more about trivial things. How there was still no trace of Lucy, that Lady Olette tore out the hair of some arrogant baroness when she insulted her fashion sense, and how Thomas Vuldarak, Joel's younger son, was planning to marry Myrtill, Joel's former squire, now a full-fledged lady-knight of her own right, and she accepted his proposal with an uncharacteristically girlish squee.

But even so, they got ever closer and closer to the unavoidable topic. Daquan's face would display a soft frown, as he caressed the princesses' hand in his own. - "Princess... let's not beat around the bush anymore." - he sighed. - "You know why I really wanted to talk... don't you?"

Their gazes were on even level, and he pulled closer to her, lowering his tone to a gentle whisper. - "I'm not going to lie to you, nor keep silent. I will speak myself plainly. I love you, Aliarna. I think I've loved you since the very moment our eyes met and my ears heard your melodic voice. I have flirted with other girls before, but I never grew all that close to any of them. But you? You've enamoured me, pulled me into your beautiful world. I don't know if this was mere luck, happenstance, or the will of fates. Nor does it matter, because you and I... we were happy."

He reached for her hair with his free hand, caressing it. No matter if curly, straight or wavy, it was captivatingly smooth and silky all the same. - "But it's precisely because I love you... that I must be able to let go. I could make you promises, that I will return a conquering hero, worthy of your hand in marriage... wouldn't that be wonderful? But life is not a fairy tale. I don't know if I'll see this war's end, and if so, I may not be the same squire you were ready to give your heart to." - he averted his gaze, biting his tongue. It was difficult to continue.

He picked a white petunia from the nearby flower bed, playing with it amidst his fingers. He must tell her to forget him. To not think about him. To give herself to some more deserving suitor, whenever she finds one. To... No. She won't forget him - just as he can't forget her.

"Even so..." - he muttered - "I promise you one thing. I will remember you. Whatever hardships I'll meet, whatever threats I'll face, I'll think of you, that you'll be waiting in safety, and draw courage from it. I shall do my utmost to return to you, and should your heart move on, I'll still be content, for you'll be safe and happy. And that'll all that matters." - he smiled, even as he struggled to keep his tears from flowing. He put the petunia in Aliarna's hair, drawing his palm across her face. - "In turn, promise me you'll be happy, and keep people's hearts lifted. Promise me that if or when I return, your smile will be waiting for me."

“Mother thinks I might be able to master it in a year or two if I keep progressing the way I have been.” Aliarna admitted as she smiled happily. Of course she knew why he had called her here because in his mind he was saying his last goodbyes. He was saying what he needed to say before he left for war, which would be fairly soon. However, for now they seemed to be avoiding the subject.

“Can I let you in on a secret?’ She asked before she continued, without even waiting for his answer. “That night... after everything happened and while we were sitting infront of the fire place and my mom and dad were talking to Lord Joel and Lady Olette. The water spoke to me.. it made a deal with me.” She said as she played with her fingers a bit and then shook her head. “Mother explained it later to me. The element speaks to you and it will only work with you once you agree to it’s terms.” She said as she laughed a little as it sounded so silly.

“Sorry... I know it sounds silly.” She said as she chuckled a little bit as she looked around them at the flower that had been blooming since the beginning of spring (I forget what we called the holiday for spring). They had come in quite beautifully, despite Aliarna’s outburst at the ball.

They seemed to continue on for quiet some time, talking about different things that had happened, but then came the moment of truth. The moment she had been hoping to avoid this entire time, but she knew it had to be said. After all, in his mind she was staying behind here, and maybe she should, but she wasn’t going to. She was going to follow her father and Daquan with the new spell she learned.

She looked down for a moment as she tried to compose herself, knowing that this was still hard to hear. Though of course it did have it’s good points too, like him admitting that he loved her. She finally lifted her head and looked at him, a bit terry eyed. “I don’t care if you physically change... I like you for you. I don’t care if you look different, your still Daquan... my Daquan.” She said as she looked at him and touched his cheek.

“I love you too, Daquan. I don’t want to lose you and I know with a war the possibilities are strong that you either won’t make it back or you will and just won’t want to be with me.” She said as she rubbed her eyes a bit trying to get the tears to go away. It wasn’t working because it was still hard to hear, even though she would literally get to see him fairly soon.

“Just promise to come back to me after the war. I don’t care if I’ve married and had kids by the end of this war... I just want you to come back to me.” She whispered as she looked at him, knowing that she was kind of lying. She was hoping to make it through this war with Daquan. However, she also couldn’t guarantee that she would make it through this war herself. However, right now she couldn’t think about this.

Morris Morris

Listening to princess Aliarna confessing her feelings in turn was unbearably painful, and yet, so very sweet and tender. Joel was right, and his heart was also in the right - Aliarna loved him with the same genuine passion he had for her.

She said she wouldn't care if he returned physically changed; Daquan knew better. He has seen the changes violence can render unto men. Broken jaws and noses, missing eyes and ears, severed limbs replaced with crude prosthetics. Yes, they were still loved by their families - but it just hurt to look at them, to see them damaged and made less than they were. He would rather not cause such pain to her, if he could help it.

She brought up how, that even if he himself wouldn't want her anymore, if she'd marry and be a mother by war's end, she'd want to see him again all the same. He could tell, as her voice was breaking up, that even she knew those were lies. There was no way he wouldn't yearn for her visage, or that she'd lock him out of her heart so easily, not unless she would have to bury and mourn him.

He could no longer hold his tears back. Try as he might, rationality slipped away, and he spoke freely and with emotion, putting his forehead against the princess': - "I will come back to you. Aliarna. My sweet, splendorous swan. My purple-petaled petunia. I will come back, be it on my own foot, on a horse's saddle, or as a kindly spectre, kissing you goodbye in your sleep... I promise you, I will be back."

Daquan closed his eyes and kissed her on the lips. He felt as their tears descended, that the droplets met on their chins, dripping to the ground as one. He kept kissing until he felt he had the strength to look back at her with an honest smile, one that she would remember him by, should he not return alive.

When they parted, Daquan felt oddly comforted. As if his confession earned some mysterious favour from the forces which govern destiny. He felt like he could live up to his promise.

Daquan was mounting his steed, joining his lord's side with the rest of the Vuldarak family. He didn't have the chance to see Aliarna anew after their meeting in the garden, but perhaps, it was better this way. It was a heartfelt way to say goodbye. Perhaps the others have noticed something was going on; Uldred even teased him whether he has just broken the heart of some noble's daughter. If only he knew...

The basic march route was simple. The Vuldaraks would return to their own estate first, rally whatever troops they could spare. King Leonard's own forces, complete with the court's conjurers, would take a slightly different road, but would eventually meet up with the Vuldaraks and other auxiliaries near the Reddish Plains - an ideal site for a large camp and traditional training grounds.

The squire glanced over his shoulder, taking in the sight of the Trustvar castle one last time, before riding his horse after his lord at full gallop, down the twisting roads carrying them away from the palace.

Aliarna savored their kiss for as long as it lasted, but soon it did end and the conversation soon with it. They had to bid farewell and once Daquan was out of sight she sat down and cried a bit more. She knew she shouldn’t be because she was going to go through this with him, but it didn’t make the words hurt any less.

There there child. We will see him very soon. The water spoke and Aliarna closed her eyes. I know, but it just hurts. She thought as she tried to regain composure. She was doing an okay job at doing so too.

Well we have much to work out my child. I will protect you and those you love no matter what. You have nothing to fear because he is included. It spoke and Aliarna rubbed her eyes carefully and nodded her head before the voice slowly faded from her ears.

There was an odd comfort in knowing the water was working with her now, an odd comfort in knowing that it was no longer an issue.

She soon rose from her seat and took a brief walk to calm herself down before heading to her chambers and making a solid plan. She worked in trying to master the spell a bit more, but it wasn’t an easy thing to do. It was exhausting, however once it was up she didn’t have an issue keeping the disguise on. It was just getting the perfect disguise that was frustrating.

———

To say the end result of this experimentation was satisfactory would have been a lie. Aliarna tried five times to imagine the perfect man and all five times she messed up. However, she finally settled in a look as it was going to have to do. Her last time transforming she didn’t try to go back.

She looked at herself in the mirror and groaned a bit as she shook her head. “Jesus Christ... you’ve got to be kidding me.” She said as she grabbed the beard she had made on accident. Everything was perfect aside from the one patch of beard! She was going for a clean shaven look, but unfortunately her spell did not agree with her.

So, after hours of making herself look believable she decided she would use atleast some of her abilities to her advantage. She would join the wizards of the army. She made up fake papers and everything to certify her and hopefully fool her father. Good thing she got good at forging papers. That was something she got from her mother who had become good at doing it in times when her father was ill. Queen Andrea would forge notes from King Leonard and Lord Joel knew it, but none of the other nobels did.

Aliarna gave herself one last look over and sighed. “Guess your staying because I don’t know how the hell to shave.” She said shaking her head as she touched the stuff. She would eventually grow use to it.

She took a look at the shadows on the ground and cursed as she had to make haste if she wanted to leave with the other soldiers to the training grounds where they would be for the first week before they departed for the actual battlefield.

Morris Morris

Within three days of travel, the Vuldaraks have reached their homeland. It was by no means humonguous by anyone's standards - they owned two sibling villages, with their family manor set in the larger one which was more agricultural, with fertile crop fields surrounding it, whilst the other busied itself with hunting and wood-related industry, with a quite efficient sawmill recently designed and built with the help of a dwarven engineer. The family had also built a wooden fortress atop a hill in between the villages back in the days of Joel's grandfather, complete with a water moat around it and a drawbridge. Some felt it was unnecessary, but he was adamant it was better safe than sorry. A safe haven for the common folk in times of dire need would always be useful, he reasoned.

Joel Vuldarak has used it as training grounds for his sons, squires and retainers, as well as the location of the armoury. While many families had hunting weapons like bows, clubs or short-shafted spears, quality battle weapons, shields and armor were much more scarce. They had to import forging iron from further away and they didn't have many blacksmiths, and since they didn't have the means nor reasons to keep a large all-time militia, there was overall little reason to.

But today was a very special day.

Word has been sent well ahead of the Vuldarak family's return, that conflict was afoot, and it found many an ear willing to heed the clarion call. Even though the greedy hands of Orean Cynbel never reached these lands, safe behind the sprawling wilderness of the Mordenwalt forest, his influence was felt. One reason the populace of the two, otherwise small villages swelled over the years was that they took in refugees - widows and orphans, who were driven from their homes and fled to the safety of the woodlands, where raiders wouldn't pursue them. Everyone knew how the scum of Maelkith not simply pillaged and slew, but salted the fields and defiled the dead by mutilation, putting the fleshy pieces on sticks and leaving them as offering for the carrion birds - it was some malignant rite of theirs, to their sickening deities of war, and a clear insight into the mindset of the thugs the usurping tyrant had on his payroll.

Today, House Vuldarak would arm for war.

After everyone was done greeting the pets - dozens of them, with Olette's barn owl being particularly overjoyed - the men of the house took up their lamellar armors, and adorned themselves with the werewolf skins their founding father left to them. Joel and Uldred took the darker pelts, Thomas and Daquan the lighter, grey shaded ones. Myrtill brought along her own set of protection, hauberk over brigandine. They lifted their armaments, wrapped in heraldic cloths, leading a ceremony out in the open grounds of the fort around a blazing bonfire with a grand bearing sword stuck in it, a symbol of the fires of war gaining heat.

They were joined by hundreds - mainly men, but also three or four scores of young women, for it was customary in the Vuldarak house that girls could also become retainers, and some families had no combat-fit sons to offer, but they had their maidens, used to hunting. There was no need to pressure anyone, to go around ripping cowardly children from sheltering parents; the serfs of these lands were strong people, retaining an ancient mentality, one of loyalty and devotion to their good lords. Along with their masters, they prayed, invoking the name of Kurnos, god of hunting. Some might would have found it unorthodox to plead a nature god for help in warfare, but in the minds of these folks, the clash of armies was akin to the dissent of wolf packs fighting over prey.

Daquan held his spear out towards the bonfire, not close enough to burn the cloth on it, but he was feeling the lashing temperature quite well. It was a mesmerising experience, to pray together for luck and success, undercut by the howling of the numerous hounds as the Moon rose to the darkening night sky.

Festivities would soon be held after, for people to bid farewell to their families and for lovers to meet one last time before they would have to leave home. Joel himself spent his last free hours with Olette, and the two Vurdalak sons each secluded themselves with their respective wives as well. Daquan was approached by a number of the villager girls, some of whom he was acquainted with, but turned them all away, with a mysterious smile on his face. Gossiping whispers were soon abound: was the stress eating away at him so deeply? Or has he found someone on Merrymaker's Day?

He let the girls have their theories. All he wanted was some pleasant dreams before setting out. He got his wish: in his deep slumber, his mind shifted to the times spent with Aliarna. He dreamt they were dancing atop a crystal clear lake's surface, and that she had a white dress of lily petals and swan feathers. They were coming to the climatic finish, lips ready to meet...

...only to realize upon waking that one of Joel's most prized bear-hounds (that is to say, an enormous dog breed used to hunt bears) was standing atop him and licking his face. Lord Joel's unamused voice rang him to awaraness next: - "Get up you miserable excuse of a squire, unless you get dressed this damn instant you'll be on crap-shovel duty for the dogs during our march!"

This definitely got him moving. Within a few days, they were going to catch up with the main Krustivan forces. It was certainly going to be an interesting time - so long as he wouldn't be challenged by the dozens of noble offspring who doubtlessly still remembered his waltzing in the ballroom with the princess.

Aliarna left the castle without so much as a note for her mother explaining where she had gone. After all she couldn’t risk her mother trying to stop her. She also left ahead of her father, using some invisibility spell to make it easier for her to get out. It wasn’t perfect in itself as she almost got caught twice, but it would have to do for now.

Once she was out of the castle she made her way down to where the troops were going to depart. She made sure to take one of the man horses from the castle stable for this as she knew that many of the wizards and mages sat upon horses as to not drain their energy before the real training or battle.

As she pulled up to the troops she managed to hand over her forged documents and they accepted them without a problem and she was allowed into the camp. She was directed towards where the wizards and mages were and there she dismounted and pet her horses snout. “Good boy,” She whispered before she fed him a small treat.

She didn’t have long to settle in before her father came to the front of the troops that had gathered and announced the reason for this war, something Aliarna was all too familiar with, the reason that is. However she had to pretend to listen as if she didn’t know a damn thing about this war.

After the lecture about the entire thing the troops set out. Something about meeting up with House Vuldarak along the lines. However, Aliarna has to pretend to be less than impressed. It annoyed her to listen to some of the people talk about Daquan and his dance with her at Merrymaker’s Day ball.

“Did you hear that Vuldarak has a wayward squire?” Said Justin a young wizard who had heard rumors. One of the mages laughed a bit. “Well the boys won’t have to worry about him for long. I hear King Leo intends to find his daughter a husband sooner now!” The wizard said and a young girl rolled her eyes.

“As if you two have a chance.” She said as she rode her horse and looked to Aliarna. “Hey I’m Tina, who are you?” She asked smiling and Aliarna looked at the woman, “I’m Al Alard.” She said in a very masculine voice. As he watched her, “and honestly I haven’t been paying attention to many of those rumors.” She said as she shook her head.

Tina laughed a bit, “got a woman waiting for you back home?” She asked and Aliarna shook her head a bit. “No, just my mother.” She said as she then thought about her poor mother who ought to be worried sick about her upon being unable to find her. Maybe she shouldn’t have done this. Maybe she should just turn around when they rest for the night.

No child. We are going forward. You wanted to do this and we are. Now toughen up before they become suspicious! The water though and Aliarna looked at everyone. “I’m hoping to win over a girls heart though by doing this... if I survive.” She said as she had to make this believable.

Morris Morris

Unknown to either of the two youngsters, even in this very moment sinister forces were conspiring against them. Robert Dietrich and a very specific changeling had a meeting in the shady confines of an abandoned monastery on the borderlands, even as the forces of Krustivan were being mustered. The supposed claimant to the throne was less than pleased...

"You had one job, you fatuous trollop! One! Job!" - he exclaimed, stomping the long-eroded, moss-covered stone of the ruined solar. - "My chances of claiming my heritage bloodlessly and in short order are gone, thanks to your incompetence. The Trustvars will doubtlessly triple their efforts to safeguard their daughter from now on, and Orean is going to demand nothing short of complete vassalage whenever I get upon the throne."

"Oh, I'm sorry that I didn't count on them jumping out a fourth-story balcony like a pair of lovesick lemmings! Clearly, that was the only rational choice anyone would have made in their shoes!" - Lucy's words were dripping with irate mockery. - "And in all honesty, you should pull your head out of your arse before that curmudgeon does it for you. I know how the likes of him think. They do not share power with anyone. You would have merely became his puppet sooner were I successful, make no mistake there."

Robert was about to snap back at her when he heard an unnerving, soft chuckle coming from under his cloak. He took the crystal orb, revealing Orean Cynbel's grinning face in place of a proper reflection. - "M- my liege-" - he stuttered. He was unaware that Orean could listen in through that damnable trinket.

"Fret not, child. I am not dissatisfied with either of you in the least." - he stated. - "Lusynndael's undertaking served more than one purpose. She has mapped out the entirety of the Trustvar castle, and got up to date information regarding the state of things and ongoing events in Krustivan. That was already worth the coins."

"Fat good that does, when the ultimate price was in her reach and she let it slip away." - Robert Dietrich grimaced at the changeling. - "All she could show for her trouble was a stupid bracelet!"

Orean's wrinkles hardened. His image glanced towards Lucy, who, like a guilt-stricken child, held out the sole object she could bring as proof that she attempted her best: Aliarna's charm bracelet. - "How did you get in possession of that...?" - he inquired. - "And what was this bit about 'lovesick lemmings' I overheard, for that matter?"

"I, well..." - she sighed. - "To summarise it, I discovered that Joel Vuldarak's newest squire danced with the princess and she liked it. So I lured them to a secluded spot under the pretense of a date. Tranquilizer in the drinks didn't work out. Stupid tea recipe..." - she muttered - "But even so I had them on the ropes, until I got distracted. The princess gave this bracelet to the squire, who threw it to me, and then grabbed the princess and ran for it." - she deliberately left out the bit with the armchair. - "So I pocketed it to make sure the job wasn't a total loss."

Maelkith's tyrant looked surprised, but his wide open eyes were quickly and nefariously squinted as he grinned. - "Robert, my young friend. It would seem you might be getting that comfy throne soon, after all..." - his fiendish mind has already surveyed the new avenues of attack the information revealed to him. They were in possession of a very special trinket, tailored to Aliarna's own needs, to be exploited by his own magicians - and more than that... she had a loved one in Joel's employ, who would doubtlessly be found near the front lines. In his mind, he would not simply triumph; he would make the Trustvars and the Vuldaraks alike hurt in the most painful of ways.

---

"You've been awful quiet this whole time. You alright, Daq?" - Myrtill nudged the squire with her elbow gently. The lady-knight has spent most of her time by her freshly gained husband's side; they intended to make the most out of their pre-war honeymoon, circumstances be damned. But she was concerned for Daquan. Not that she had been in many battles herself, save for a small skirmish or two, but she at least had a grasp of what they were in for.

"Hm? Oh, I'm fine, Myrtill, no need to worry." - he responded in a low voice. - "I'm just equal measure excited and anxious, that is all. Meeting up with all the martial groups within Krustivan is quite a prospect. I'm really looking forward to, say, dueling one of the Osrick children, jousting with the centaurs, or see if the orcs have some spear-fighting techniques I could learn. Not to mention I'll finally get to see the royal court's army mages! But..."

"Buuut...?"

"I... may or may not have met a girl above my standing on the ball during Merrymaker's Day and caused a scene, so I might have noble offspring vying for my head."

Myrtill stared blankly in front of herself, a time-honed method of stoical reception. She bit her lip, then pressured her mouth tightly closed, until she couldn't hold it back anymore. - "I knew it!" - she snickered to herself. - "Well, look at it this way. If you survive, his majesty Leonard will uplift you to knighthood and for most girls, that's romantic as hell. Maelkith scum dies, and you'll get a wife finally. A win-win situation if ever I've heard one!"

Daquan smiled awkwardly. - "I've always admired your optimism. But please keep this between us. I'd rather not have her get into more trouble than she's already in."

"Fair enough." - Myrtill nodded. - "I won't ask any specifics. I'm just glad you've found someone after..." - she fell silent a bit. Daquan patted her on the back gently. He has gotten over her rejection.

"Well, better get back to Thomas, Millie." - he told her - "Lest he get the wrong idea." - they exchanged a last smile before Myrtill spurred her horse to catch up with Thomas Vuldarak a bit further ahead.

Daquan's thoughts eventually drifted to a different direction. Army mages... he wondered if there were necromancers among them. If so... maybe he could-

No. The past is the past. I should let it rest.

And so he shook his thoughts free of his mother, and continued on the journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back