What's that Totem?

Flagg said:
Safim said:
Bugs are not awesome enough to be totems.
I'll pretend for a second that you're not joking :P

There are already a bunch of "bugs" that qualify for spirit shapes, as their size falls under Humble Mouse's restrictions: Large mantids, goliath beetles, tarantulas, giant millipedes, etc.

Apparently if you follow Dracogryff's line of thinking, these bugs are OK, but for some reason smaller ones are not. I don't see what the difference might be, in practical terms.
How dare you imply I was joking, infidel?!

Everything word I utter is spoken with utmost sincerity.

Really...

:wink:

That aside, I really can't think for a real reason to not allow totems that small despite perhaps that it makes fleeing really easy even if you have spend a lot of peripheral essence and are locked to your true forms, but as flying animals are a fair game without even taking a single knack I'd bet that is not the reason.

To be frank, as it hasn't come up in my games yet I haven't bothered thinking about it yet. As of now, the only lunar player characters around here are "tricksing fox" and "protecting dog". Neither of them is particularly small.

I'm siding with Flagg on this one. I don't see any harm in expanding the range of options for the totem animal. Mechanically, there is no difference, it's all in the flavour. Fewer restrictions on imagination. Which is also why I'm annoyed with Laurals and Ivy Technique, which lets you add plants to targets for the hunt, being too expensive to purchase at char gen. I'm really dig the idea of Ents being Lunars with a giant tree totem, and I see no reason for the restriction. The only possible argument I could find would be sillyness, and honestly, there's plenty of stupid totem-creatures in the mammal-kingdom alone.

While talking with another one of my group about the plant form Knack being a Essence 4 min, and characters are only allowed Essence 3 at startup, I asked, "What about a vegitarian?  Fantasy games are filled with plant-monsters all over"  We both agreed that we would house rule that it was a Essence 3 knack for that reason.

While talking with another one of my group about the plant form Knack being a Essence 4 min, and characters are only allowed Essence 3 at startup, I asked, "What about a vegitarian?  Fantasy games are filled with plant-monsters all over"  We both agreed that we would house rule that it was a Essence 3 knack for that reason
Ok that made no sense to me.

Since when does animals that eat only plants have anything to do with plant totems?

FluffySquirrel said:
I'd go with a Rat personally, it's the only one that came into my mind from all the criteria
Big yes to this one.  Mildly insane pre-exaltation, urban and tends to run from fights?  Rat is a definite option.

Besides, rats can be badass.

How about a raccoon? They can figure out they're way into ANY garbage if they really want to, and very rarely will you ever actually catch them in the act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back