Chitchat What job do you have?

Lurker

Supa hot fire. I spit that.
Just curious what other people on here do for money. I'm a 911 dispatcher for one of the larger cities in North Carolina (Winston Salem if you're a fellow carolinian). Currently browsing RPN because I'm bored at work. It's an okay job. I just watch hulu/netflix most nights. My dad works for a smaller town and takes his switch to work and plays that all night. Been here 2 years in December. Getting to the point where I need to commit and stay here or start looking for something else.

I work as a cashier for a grocery store. It sucks, but it pays the bills! I'm hoping I don't have to work here forever. It's gonna be my 4th year coming up and I'm just trying to get my feet on the ground and figure out what I'm going to do with my life.

I work as a cashier for a grocery store. It sucks, but it pays the bills! I'm hoping I don't have to work here forever. It's gonna be my 4th year coming up and I'm just trying to get my feet on the ground and figure out what I'm going to do with my life.
I am very much right there with you. I can't think of ANYTHING that I can go "Yes I will be happy doing this for the next ~30 years."

Same! Like I got my degree for 3D animation 2 years ago, and I finally got a computer to do it. I go to sit down and actually animate and I just go....this sucks.

So right now I'm trying different things. I'm seeing a cosplay right now and it's promising. Maybe I'll open a commission store when I can!

Same! Like I got my degree for 3D animation 2 years ago, and I finally got a computer to do it. I go to sit down and actually animate and I just go....this sucks.

So right now I'm trying different things. I'm seeing a cosplay right now and it's promising. Maybe I'll open a commission store when I can!
I believe in you new best friend. Follow your dreams. I'll just be here forgetting to answer 911 calls because I'm watching one piece.

You call back and just be like Ayo whoops Sorry I was watching Zoro kick ass, whatchu need? XD

I work at a dollar store, while I'm in college, and let me tell you, I hate it. I'm a cashier, stocker, recovery, and pseudo manager when my managers decide to leave me alone in the store and go on their "quick" smoke break (the shortest time I have for them so far is an hour). I'm hoping to fling myself out of retail soon, D':D':D':

I work at a dollar store, while I'm in college, and let me tell you, I hate it. I'm a cashier, stocker, recovery, and pseudo manager when my managers decide to leave me alone in the store and go on their "quick" smoke break (the shortest time I have for them so far is an hour). I'm hoping to fling myself out of retail soon, D':D':D':
Shoutout to all the retail people out there dealing with Karen's. Y'all the real MVPs

I work for an automotive engineering/manufacturing company. It’s a pretty cool job, but it can be stressful sometimes. And I work nights!
I used to be a barista and a whole bunch of other things, and I learned customer service just isn’t for me. I was always good at whatever job I had, but interacting with the public really takes a toll on your mental and emotional health. So anyone who can survive it... y’all are the real ones. It’s rough out there.

Game development.
Started at game and level design, but recently am doing more leveldesign and art direction. My specialization is third-person RPGs for PCs, and no, I have no idea how to create match-3 or mobile games o_0

UX research. Mostly about sites and mobile apps, how to make them more comfortable to use for people.

UX research. Mostly about sites and mobile apps, how to make them more comfortable to use for people.
If RPN has taught me anything about comfort on mobile it's formatting on desktop site that is literally impossible for mobile users to see.

A person of the oh so wonderful retail where the bad customers outweigh the good and you would think with the holidays people are nice and kind. Hell no, only in a dream. If all goes well this will be my last year dealing with the droves of some people feeling that they are entitled.

I'm a tech support at my local lawyer office, doing that while studying computer science. I feel you people working retail! It get better I swear!

A person of the oh so wonderful retail where the bad customers outweigh the good and you would think with the holidays people are nice and kind. Hell no, only in a dream. If all goes well this will be my last year dealing with the droves of some people feeling that they are entitled.
You must have loads of STORIES.

Currently working as a bartender. I enjoy it but I'm also looking for other jobs right now. Have another kid on the way and not having a stable schedule or pay isn't gonna cut it. But it makes for some great conversation starters!

You must have loads of STORIES.
tenor.gif

Why yes, yes I do.

Ain't gonna share, will 'ya? You're just keeping them all to yourself!
I'll compact a few. Let me see, a place I worked had a strict return policy on dresses and suit jackets/pants, etc. They had a huge black tag attached to the merchandise that said "Do Not Remove" In order to return that merchandise the tag must be still attached to said merchandise plus we explain in detail the policy to every customer who purchase items with the tag on it so a dude comes in with a suit jacket without the tag, it has been clearly worn, and an attitude to go with it all and once I explain the store policy for the numerous time he tells me I am discriminating against him, he wants to speak to a manager. Call my manager who tells him exactly what I just explained only for him to throw the jacket on the ground and walk out.

Elsewhere, some woman went on a tirade at me because she not only could not put grocery on layaway but when she wanted to do a layaway of electronics she tried to use food stamps to pay for the layaway in question which she could not do.

Customers have blamed me for their checks being denied, saying I didn't "push the right button." "Because there's money in the account! More than you'll ever make working here! I'll write another one." Which they proceed to do only for that other check to get declined.

I'll compact a few. Let me see, a place I worked had a strict return policy on dresses and suit jackets/pants, etc. They had a huge black tag attached to the merchandise that said "Do Not Remove" In order to return that merchandise the tag must be still attached to said merchandise plus we explain in detail the policy to every customer who purchase items with the tag on it so a dude comes in with a suit jacket without the tag, it has been clearly worn, and an attitude to go with it all and once I explain the store policy for the numerous time he tells me I am discriminating against him, he wants to speak to a manager. Call my manager who tells him exactly what I just explained only for him to throw the jacket on the ground and walk out.

Elsewhere, some woman went on a tirade at me because she not only could not put grocery on layaway but when she wanted to do a layaway of electronics she tried to use food stamps to pay for the layaway in question which she could not do.

Customers have blamed me for their checks being denied, saying I didn't "push the right button." "Because there's money in the account! More than you'll ever make working here! I'll write another one." Which they proceed to do only for that other check to get declined.

The beautiful people. The ones who try to flex their fake wealth amuse me the most, tbh. One would think they would not shop in retail, though, were they this rich too? Besides the fact it's fucking hard to "press the wrong button". I took me mum for hot tea (she has a flu, so it's only hot stuff for her) and salads today in a local pizzeria, and witnessed a woman throwing a tantrum and screaming for manager because she was waiting for her pizza for - GASP! - ten minutes now. Might have been the attitude, though, as she stormed off after receiving the news the manager was on a break, while we got our order in a manner of maybe five minutes or less. That, or we just had exciting enough conversation not to notice time pass. But when we got the order, tea was still hot.

The beautiful people. The ones who try to flex their fake wealth amuse me the most, tbh. One would think they would not shop in retail, though, were they this rich too? Besides the fact it's fucking hard to "press the wrong button". I took me mum for hot tea (she has a flu, so it's only hot stuff for her) and salads today in a local pizzeria, and witnessed a woman throwing a tantrum and screaming for manager because she was waiting for her pizza for - GASP! - ten minutes now. Might have been the attitude, though, as she stormed off after receiving the news the manager was on a break, while we got our order in a manner of maybe five minutes or less. That, or we just had exciting enough conversation not to notice time pass. But when we got the order, tea was still hot.
That woman sounds like the type to whip out her phone to start recording because she had to wait for ten minutes. I want to say I'm surprised but I'm not lol I really am not. I do hope your mom feels better soon however.

That woman sounds like the type to whip out her phone to start recording because she had to wait for ten minutes. I want to say I'm surprised but I'm not lol I really am not. I do hope your mom feels better soon however.

She looked the type, yeah. The look on her face when she was told the manager had a break, oof. makes me feel a little proud for always being polite to hosts, retail workers, waiters/servers, and alike... though it's just human decency. Still, I hope it at least makes someone's day better, to get a friendly attitude no matter what after dealing with someone rude. Even hen that nurse accidentally poured alcohol into my open eye (bc, you know... it was an accident and even if it burned like fucking hell, why get angry for an accident, right?).

And aye, I hope she will feel better. I'm trying to force her take medicine, but she be stubborn 8|

I’m a nurse at a doctors office and also do secret shopping. I love both and it keeps me busy in the free time.

How long do people attend uni for that? Asking for a short story.
I did 4 years to get my a bachelors degree for it. Some people can do 2 years however to get their LPN or a bit longer for an RN. I noticed there was always more job options if I did a 4 year degree. To add, my husband is enlisted active duty and we have moved every 3 years because of it. I enjoy having a career of my own that I can up and take with me wherever we go and still have a guaranteed job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back