Viewpoint What is going on?

Winter Kakyoin

"I could've saved them... I really could've..."
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Does any roleplay or even like 80s bands anymore? I have been looking and making posts all over the place, and I barely get responses. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Like the person above me said, the subject is a little old and the members tend to be a little younger. Also that might be kind of a niche topic so not many people will find interest in it. but i wish you the best of luck in your looking!

it's most likely because of popularity, albeit considering that even after the post-2016 upswing of 1980s' culture, i didn't see a surge of people wanting to roleplay popular '80s bands, perhaps a subsidiary reason is that roleplaying as real-life celebrities is arguably on its last legs. i seldom encounter people requesting to write celebrities on a site such as this which is fundamentally for roleplaying, and on a site for multifarious activities such as tumblr, the leading celebrities people want to use are current mainstream (and most importantly, conventionally attractive) celebrities: actors who are a part of a vast franchise (i.e., the marvel cinematic universe) or music artists you're likely to hear on the radio. if you observe that it's rare to see people roleplay as other older, popular celebrities such as kurt cobain or creepily requesting for the pairing of keanu reeves and river phoenix, then you're definitely going to be hard pressed to see celebrities outside of the same reoccurring names. however, notwithstanding this, tumblr is ultimately your best option !

Last edited:
I agree with all of this. Your best bet if you want an 80s band style roleplay is to make original characters in that era. The niche of writing real life celebrities, is very hard to come by. But maybe making an original roleplay based on all of it might help? I wish you luck!

I do agree with all the previous responses. Despite the resurgence of the 80’s into popular culture through shows like Stranger Things it still remains to be a very niche area of interest among the younger generation. A lot of the younger demographic seem to be more interested in what’s current and trendy over what’s in the past. Along with that, as some others have expressed celebrity role plays or rps where you write as an actual celebrity have become more and more sparse. Some of this may come to some viewing it as uncomfortable and impersonation to be assuming the persona of another person even if its for a fictional work. That said, tumblr would probably be your best bet as there is still a community of writers and people who are still quite heavily invested in the 80s and the rock scene in general. But of course, as its something not that popular, it is definitely easier to make your own 80s roleplay, but rather than realmcelebrities have people play OCs. This would definitely make it accessible to more people who may not exactly be familiar with personalities from 80s metal. Its definitely about compromise, making an original roleplay would help garner interest, and than having it set in the 80s caters to you. That said I do hope you are able to find something that suits you, as someone who has been searching myself for 80s RPs I definitely get how difficult it can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back