What if the GM dies?

At one point I was in a roleplay where the players were all very invested in. The roleplay was set to start the next day when the GM disappeared, and we were all extremely devastated. However, I managed to track said GM down to another website and ask if we could take over the roleplay, and he gave us the okay.

It was a slightly more freeform type roleplay, but still, we had no idea where the GM had planned to take it other than some hints to a certain crime family and that's about it. We all tried to come up with ideas on where to take the roleplay, and we actually did have a very good idea of how to start it, but the spark was not there anymore. We just couldn't find the motivation to start it knowing that the GM had left us behind.

I think salvaging a roleplay where the GM disappears is possible -- but extremely hard to do.

Riuma said:
What if the GM loses interest in their own RP?
That's probably where you either close up shop, or you ask if you can take it over. I myself have lost interest in many of my own RPs, sometimes it happens, it's not a sin. You either announce the fact that you can't continue on with the roleplay and that's that. Sometimes a GM can realize when his/her own roleplay is falling into a pit and is not salvageable, too.

Common sense rules apply - basically, if they lose interest, you ask them if you can take over. It's just pure and simple logic. If they say yes... you take over under a new thread. If they say no... you move on - or start something under a similar premise, without copy/pasting their ideas.

@Riuma

PM to GM:

Hey, sorry to hear about [insert what is going on]. Lots of us are really interested in keeping up the RP and I hope you'll come back to it later on too. In order to keep it up, would you mind if I or another player took over managing the NPCs and the plot and became a co-GM until you're able to come back? Thanks and let me know.

If GM is trying to "sidestep" the RP i,e doesn't say they have RL things to deal with but just isn't posting

PM to GM:

Hey, I've been excited about your RP for a while and was just wondering if you'd lost interest. It's nothing big, I just wanted to ask if you still wanted it to keep going.

Then you'll get the material to work with to send PM #1

If you don't have time to GM the RP yourself but want it to keep going on, take on 1-2 co-GMs by PMing them telling them you think they're active and have a great grasp on the world and would like if they could help you run the plot. It's easier than finding someone else to take on the responsibility of sole GM.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back