What if the GM Creates a Mary-sue?

Gizaira

Stray Gambler
<p>

I've been in a few RP's where the GM created a complete Mary-sue type character. I just keep wondering what do you do? This one GM had a character that was part shape shifter, giant, fairy, werewolf, demon and angel. I'm just sitting there, wondering how they could possibly be part of those many things. What are their parents!? Also they are royalty but don't know and they grew up in a orphanage. Their eyes change color depending on the characters emotion and their personality basically contradicts itself like every line or so.Also they are part of a prophecy too. I left out quite a few other Mary-sue traits she had but what do you guys do about it? I just didn't join the RP. Also I'd be glad to hear the other Mary-sue stories that were created by a GM.

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a big deal about it.

And I don't mean throw a fit and yell at the GM, I mean make your character intensely interested in this NPC, like, to the point where the GM starts getting reeeaaaally uncomfortable about it.

Flirt aggressively with her, refuse to leave her alone with other men, never leave her alone period. Watch her while she sleeps if need be. If she somehow gets away from you, follow her around and watch her from behind bushes or through windows. Introduce her as your girlfriend (even if she's not, especially if she's not) talk about how great her hips are for child bearing. Comment that she'll love staying home in the kitchen raising all the kids you plan on putting in her, etc.

Basically, act like a really creepy, really obsessive, really clingy stalker. It shouldn't be too long before she vanishes, back to her home dimension to fight some ambiguous threat and be a savior there instead of here.

I was about to suggest giving the GM some unsolicited critique about character creation but the post above is too good to ignore ^^^

I'd have jumped ship too if I were you. I've done it before and sometimes I bail because I realize in retrospect that a group just isn't for me (though more often than not I realize early enough to steer clear in the first place).

It's better to just avoid roleplays where the GM uses a may sue character, especially if that sort of thing really bothers you. For some players, Mary Sue characters aren't a bother at all. It's best just to leave them be and find roleplays that are better suited to your play style. No sense in getting in the way of their fun, no matter how seemingly self centered or bizarre it might seem.

The only story I have with a Mary Sue character created by the GM is the one I made in my special snowflakes rp xD I had the headmistress as a flawless, human sized clockwork doll with limitless magical powers and another character who was a power house of magic but had no control so she kept killing people making her extra ~*tragic*~ This was, of course, done ironically xD I ended up bailing on that rp even though I made it because the fact that people were joining it unironically was depressing. Also it went too fast to keep up with during my normal schedule.

Usually, it's often fairly easy to tell when a GM is going to end up using a Mary Sue character because the interest check usually reflects that it's centered around a particular character. This doesn't happen all the time, so sometimes you just have to bail after you realize that it's not gonna work for you. I think you did the right thing in the circumstances

JayTee said:
And I don't mean throw a fit and yell at the GM, I mean make your character intensely interested in this NPC, like, to the point where the GM starts getting reeeaaaally uncomfortable about it.

Flirt aggressively with her, refuse to leave her alone with other men, never leave her alone period. Watch her while she sleeps if need be. If she somehow gets away from you, follow her around and watch her from behind bushes or through windows. Introduce her as your girlfriend (even if she's not, especially if she's not) talk about how great her hips are for child bearing. Comment that she'll love staying home in the kitchen raising all the kids you plan on putting in her, etc.

Basically, act like a really creepy, really obsessive, really clingy stalker. It shouldn't be too long before she vanishes, back to her home dimension to fight some ambiguous threat and be a savior there instead of here.
I was just gonna say that you should hightail it out of there as discreetly as you can.

However. I think JT's solution is much more fun xD

JayTee said:

This one takes the cake

First and foremost, ask the GM questions regarding the said matter. Such as:

Why did she make a Mary Sue? For what purpose will this Mary Sue be? Why the hell make a group RP if this Mary Sue can literally finish the plot by her own? WHY IS RYZE FUCKING BLUE?

Then, give her a chance to justify her actions through answering these questions. Don't be some guy who randomly says "I am badeed." asks a question, only to shut down the person asked before he/she could even answer appropriately.

If her answers do not seem to make sense, follow JayTee's advice.

If her answers somehow make sense, but do not satisfy you at all, follow JayTee's advice.

If she says "dis mah aRPeh, u laeve if u dont liek mah charct3r", follow JayTee's advice.

If she does not answer, follow JayTee's advice.

But if you don't want to follow JayTee's advice, then leave the RP in a very appropriate and respective manner. So, before you leave, at all the tabs of the RP, post "OKAY I'M OUT. HAVE FUN PLAYING AS IRRELEVANT CHARACTERS. CYA NERDS."

Real talk for a moment. One thing that should be discerned is what, exactly, is the purpose of the mary sue. IF she's just there to let the GM play the game, then talk with the GM about letting them play instead of only running a game. This can be common in Forever!GMs who miss playing the game, and is sometimes done to give them a chance at it instead of just managing everything all the time.

If she's just there to be the GM's waifu and warp the plot around her so she's the only important character, then you have a problem. In that case, make her your waifu.

Well, for me it depends on the scenario.

Before I join a roleplay, I ALWAYS look over the characters to see if anything even remotely similar to this is present. If it is, I won't join. Though if no characters are posted and or very few that look decent and then they happen to pop up...ill confront them in the most blunt way possible. Might it seem rude? Kinda, though sugar coating never usually gets through to these people. If they don't recognize that they have made such a character and aren't accepting it, I leave.

In all, I HATE GMs that use their power to their advantage and think "I own the roleplay so I can do whatever I want and no one is going to call me out for it." Basically making the roleplay just so they can do as they please without and potential backlash, such as making a Mary Sue or say 15 characters all talking the most "powerful" positions so they can influence the story their way. At this point, they should just go write a horrible fanfic or somethin'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back