TV & Film What Fandom Ruined That Show/Game/Universe For You?

BakaTheIdiot

Viscount of Spaghetti Code
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Title says it all.

Let me start: the Sonic fandom single-handedly ruined the entire universe for me. I used to like the games pretty OK, but I straight-up abandoned the series after looking at the fandom one time. I didn't want to associate with that.

Star Wars fandom.
I wouldn't say they ruined it for me. But omg are the fans a bunch of bitchy little princesses. I had never bothered to join social groups about it before. But a couple of years ago, I decided to join a FB group on Star Wars.

Big mistake.

Needless to say, I just enjoy the fandom by myself for the most part. I occasionally look for Star Wars roleplays. But that's it.

Also, Boba Fett living passed the sarlacc pit in RotJ is now canon. So all those nay sayers can suck it!

Title says it all.

Let me start: the Sonic fandom single-handedly ruined the entire universe for me. I used to like the games pretty OK, but I straight-up abandoned the series after looking at the fandom one time. I didn't want to associate with that.

Yeah, I agree that the Sonic Fandom can be annoying. But, you shouldn't let other fans ruin something that you like, in my opinion. I mean, I still like Sonic the Hedgehog, I just don't participate in the drama when fans whine about every game.

I don't let the fandom ruin the game for me, I let the fandom ruin my hope in humanity and, by extension, that fandom. Every universe every created and used for profit or to even tell a good story all have regrettable groups of fans or a portion of the fandom is toxic. It's fine. It's just the way humans work. If they are so insufferable, leave the fandom, but don't let them destroy the love you have for a game or a universe. I still love Pokemon. After getting my first game in 2007 (Pokemon Pearl), I have been in love with it every since. People can say all they want about the series, whether they are haters or toxic fans or trolls who love to see childhood memories crumble with their cursed comments/pictures.

Do I care? No. I have only lost faith in humanity, but I have never lost my love for Pokemon, regardless of how badly the games come out or how bad the fans complain about the games. They are all amazing in their own right and, even if there are a few mishaps, it happens. We are human. We make mistakes. Even when Undertale's fandom was just as toxic as some K-Pop groups for a boy band overseas, I didn't dislike Undertale for that. It's not like the games enabled this behavior to happen nor did the creators expect such a reaction from their creations. So I can't fault them for that.

The universes we immerse ourselves into exist as a way to help us escape from our lives and maybe learn something about ourselves if they jumped that far, but they never are here to have a fandom so toxic that it destroys the likability of the universe itself. It's just a few bad apples. Throw them away and focus on the good bits and you'll be much happier without sacrificing your interests.

Star Wars fandom.
I wouldn't say they ruined it for me. But omg are the fans a bunch of bitchy little princesses. I had never bothered to join social groups about it before. But a couple of years ago, I decided to join a FB group on Star Wars.

Big mistake.

Needless to say, I just enjoy the fandom by myself for the most part. I occasionally look for Star Wars roleplays. But that's it.

Also, Boba Fett living passed the sarlacc pit in RotJ is now canon. So all those nay sayers can suck it!

I agree that there are very vocal elements of the fandom that are toxic. Jake Lloyd and George Lucas himself falling out of love with his own creation are proof of that. But there has become this kneejerk reaction from Lucasfilm that I myself have witnessed where every criticism of the new stuff is considered 'toxic'.

And the 'oh these fans are so toxic' has become a trendy shield to hide behind for the corporations who very rightly so are being criticized when they screw up the franchises we love.

Anyway, the Rick and Morty fandom turned me off of the show forever. The amount of cringy know it alls in that fandom just made me hate it. Plus, the fact that Adult Swim cancelled one of its longest running shows with the Venture Bros. made me bitterly hate R&M even more.

I agree that there are very vocal elements of the fandom that are toxic. Jake Lloyd and George Lucas himself falling out of love with his own creation are proof of that. But there has become this kneejerk reaction from Lucasfilm that I myself have witnessed where every criticism of the new stuff is considered 'toxic'.

And the 'oh these fans are so toxic' has become a trendy shield to hide behind for the corporations who very rightly so are being criticized when they screw up the franchises we love.

Anyway, the Rick and Morty fandom turned me off of the show forever. The amount of cringy know it alls in that fandom just made me hate it. Plus, the fact that Adult Swim cancelled one of its longest running shows with the Venture Bros. made me bitterly hate R&M even more.

I kinda liked the new Star Wars movies though... then again I'm not really a "die hard fan" of anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back