What does your favorite song mean to you?

Reiyumi

Five Thousand Club
Roleplay Availability
So...an interesting thing that I have found is that the songs we listen to have meaning. Sometimes the meaning isn't all that clear. We have to look for it. The composers and writers have their own meaning for the songs. Those could be called the officials meaning. That is the reason they wrote the song. However, our meaning of the song isn't necessarily the same. When you are listening to songs on the radio, have you ever wondered what the song meant? Or... what it means to you?

To some it may be one thing, to others...it's another.

What does it mean to you? What does your favorite song mean to you?

Here's mine, I've been pretty much listening to it everyday for years and I can't seem to get tired of it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eB5-BnKc6o[/media]

The meaning? It's a bit fuzzy and obviously written under influence of drugs. There's so many mentions of/hints at abortion, abuse, drugs, menstruation, death and a love that must have been somewhat bizarre, but I can't point at it and say it's about this and that. The exact meaning doesn't really matter to me too much, to be honest, but I'll come to that later.

I just remember how I listened to it years ago and I was just surprised to found such a raw, very imperfect and yet strangely beautiful ballad on a otherwise pretty dirty sludge album. It's not the same kind of beauty that is often found in other songs, not the cheesy sad song and not the sappy lovesong either, but instead gives me feelings that are a mix of relief, disgust, being completely weirded out, falling in love, and somewhat relating to the persona despite not fully understanding what's going on. I can't find better words to describe it.

Then there's the lyrics to complete this mess. The title itself is already nonsense if taken literally, and there's so many more lines that are pretty gross, I won't cite them here though. As I said before, I can't figure out a clear meaning, but I think that's part of the magic? Simply reading them without thinking too much, just comprehending the word order itself rather than the whole story already gives me a whole lot more emotion that most other songs ever did. Somehow you know everything was completely fucked up and yet most mental images I associate with it are rather bright and peaceful, with a few exceptions where darkness is explicitly mentioned with absolute bluntness, but somehow remain subtle under the light-hearted melody. The singer is probably not "great" by popular standards, but this makes the whole thing seem more believable as he makes it sound like a normal guy singing it rather than an interpretation of a random song by a top tier professional singer.

Sorry for the tldr, but well. That song gave me a feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back