What do you want to see in roleplay?

Hey guys, I just recently registered and came here from a reddit link and I'm rather surprised to see all the activity here. My main reason here is to look for people to help develop one of my RP projects. But since there appears to be some rather advanced restrictions for newly registered users, I'll incite some creative discussion instead that will hopefully help both you and me.

So, simply put. What do you want to see in roleplay? What do you PERSONALLY want to achieve at the end of the day?

I'm more fixated on a medieval fantasy setting, if you're looking for an example. As for my opinion personally, I'm not so sure what I want to see at the end of the day. I'm a rather vague person when it comes to roleplay and I just like to enjoy exploration and the adventure that comes with it.

Then I realized, hey, maybe I'm a minority in that idea. Maybe people want something different. Maybe others have a specific goal in mind or answers they desperately want to reach. What do you really, really, reaaaallly want to see in your roleplay?

For me the subject can be very broad. If it has action, a touch of drama, interesting characters, very high stakes and a nice, fast pace, I love it. I like to write as best as I can and appreciate it if others put in significant effort as well, but I'm not very hellbent on becoming a great writer, so in that sense I'm still quite casual about the whole ordeal. (not judging people who do take it a lot more seriously, btw, to each their own, obviosuly)

I just like to have fun. Usually with pure superhero fluff or sparkly magical girl camp. I rarely have a long term plan in mind and I'm just having fun with random shenanigans while the roleplay lasts.

The only place where I usually really sink in is world building, I have whole notebooks dedicated to building detailed worlds for my various 1x1s : the roleplays usually bomb within a page or two but I like having a fully realized world that I can come back to over and over again with new ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually want to explore a particular idea - usually a setting and accompanying storylines - but I also want to see what players do with both the provided material and the events of the game. While I like running things in a sandbox, sooner or later plot has to emerge and I like to see it do so organically, inspiring and challenging everyone involved.

That said I tend not to ask a lot of my players beyond 'read the damn lore'.

I like to see a well planned out site. With the main plot outlined.

I also like to see solid storyline, people who enjoy writing and people who are passionate.

A bit late on the post here, but I'll echo @Spicenight and say I enjoy the act of writing, particularly if it involves world building and major character development. There does seem to be some differences of opinion about what character development actually consists of, but to me, it's always been about seeing characters develop personal philosophies and new worldviews that may sometimes challenge their initial preconceptions. That's why I love plots that involve making difficult decisions that characters have to live with: it creates an opportunity to explore a character's inner depths while leaving a lasting mark on the setting as a whole (thus developing the world at the same time).

Doesn't seem to be a common interest though. ;x;

I want to feel something. I want to be able to relate to characters, get close to them and feel angry for them, angry at them, happy for them, scared for them. I want to feel a sense of wonder, or danger. I want a roleplay for once to make me cry.

I try so, so incredibly hard to make my characters and my worlds come to life. Maybe too hard. I do end up stressing myself or being disappointed in myself a lot of the time. At the end of the day, I just want people to find my writing interesting.

I want to have fun, unexpected interactions, and believable motivations. It's strange because my reasons for roleplaying vary as different types of rp satisfy different urges. End the end, I suppose it depends on what I'm looking for in the moment. Too be amazed, to be touched, to be horrified. Roleplaying is also a good motivation to write when I can't quite push myself to create in other ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back