Other What do you like in a coloring book?

Do you like a lot of detail, or open space in coloring books?

• ALL THE DETAILS!!!

• GIVE ME MY SPACE

Results are only viewable after voting.

ihaveprobs

So I am currently working on a project to illustrate and self publish some adult coloring books. I am planning on a fairy tales with a twist book, and a D&D themed coloring book starting out. The style for the fairy tales book following the stylization of different cultures like in my picture here, but cleaned up some to have more open spaces for the colorist to color where it's filled in with black.

chinese_repunzel_by_ihaveprobs-d8s73rf.jpg

That being said, I am wanting to offer the best books I can for the people using them. So I am wanting to know from you guys what things do you wish for a coloring book to have? Do you like lots of details like the picture above, or more open spaces? Do you mind landscape books or do you prefer portrait styles? What is something in coloring books do you hate? What is something you love? What do you wish more books did? Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

(Originally I posted this in the personal thread, but I realize now this is probably more fitting for open discussion here.)

"Adult" "Coloring Books"

I'm sorry?
Coloring books have always been used for therapeutic purposes. Not just for kids, but for adults as well. The ones for adults are designed to put you in a state of mindfulness, relieve stress, and make you more relaxed. I guess more people are just now finding this out and it's become more popular because of it.

Coloring books have always been used for therapeutic purposes. Not just for kids, but for adults as well. The ones for adults are designed to put you in a state of mindfulness, relieve stress, and make you more relaxed. I guess more people are just now finding this out and it's become more popular because of it.
Wonderfully explained.

To reiterate what I posted in the original thread:
"I have a few of the relaxation ones and I find I prefer a happy medium - I like a lot of detail but still having a lot to colour.
For example, in the background you have a lot of small lines in the hills and stuff to colour and I love that shit, it lets me come up with small colour patterns to make it more interesting. Wide open spaces don't excite me as much because you have one massive block colour."
xD

I think having patterns in the picture - like water patterns - would be nice. It gives the person the freedom to experiment freely with colours.

I think having patterns in the picture - like water patterns - would be nice. It gives the person the freedom to experiment freely with colours.

Do you like more open patterns or do you prefer tighter detailed patterns for this?

i like to color animals

the animals with all the patterns to break them up, or the more simplistic but realistic ones?

To reiterate what I posted in the original thread:
"I have a few of the relaxation ones and I find I prefer a happy medium - I like a lot of detail but still having a lot to colour.
For example, in the background you have a lot of small lines in the hills and stuff to colour and I love that shit, it lets me come up with small colour patterns to make it more interesting. Wide open spaces don't excite me as much because you have one massive block colour."
xD

I was hoping you would see this and repost here to share. :)

It's really nice when you get to turn a child's coloring book into a horror book, heh... heh...

So another horror fan. I might have to make a horror themed book as well down the road.

Do you like more open patterns or do you prefer tighter detailed patterns for this?

Tighter patterns could potentially work better than open ones because it reduces the amount of time someone spends just drawing one colour. But I think ones that are TOO detailed could get frustrating, and people with bad eyesight may even struggle if they are too small. So... A mix? That would keep things interesting.

I'd have to agree with the person above, honestly! ^ . ^ As fun as detailed coloring books can be, there are some with proportions or patterns that make you hesitant in coloring certain parts of a picture. And it can be kinda straining to do detailed coloring books, so I would actually recommend open space coloring books to take a break from them!

Tighter patterns could potentially work better than open ones because it reduces the amount of time someone spends just drawing one colour. But I think ones that are TOO detailed could get frustrating, and people with bad eyesight may even struggle if they are too small. So... A mix? That would keep things interesting.

So patterns are good, but too many might make it hard for some people to see. I will be keeping that in mind then when I work on my next pieces. Thank you.

I'd have to agree with the person above, honestly! ^ . ^ As fun as detailed coloring books can be, there are some with proportions or patterns that make you hesitant in coloring certain parts of a picture. And it can be kinda straining to do detailed coloring books, so I would actually recommend open space coloring books to take a break from them!

You mentioned taking a break from detailed books. That being the case do you prefer books that have both so you can choose then, or do you like for them to be one or the other?

So patterns are good, but too many might make it hard for some people to see. I will be keeping that in mind then when I work on my next pieces. Thank you.

You mentioned taking a break from detailed books. That being the case do you prefer books that have both so you can choose then, or do you like for them to be one or the other?
I'd like for them to be one or the other, just so I can have that inner satisfaction of seeing a pile of detailed coloring books on one side and a pile of open spaces on the other XD

I'd like for them to be one or the other, just so I can have that inner satisfaction of seeing a pile of detailed coloring books on one side and a pile of open spaces on the other XD

Interesting. What about designs on the page with a mix of the two. Is that a turn off or something you like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back