Other What do people have against fandoms? (Role Playing Discussions)

Artificial Sugar

Plus Ultra
I've noticed that on most role play sites people are pretty much never interested in fandom role plays. Especially if it's canon x oc. (Yes, even with doubling). I just wanted to know (from those of you who don't like fandom role plays) why that is?

I mean, honestly, it's 100% possible it could just be me. But in the small percentage that it's not, I'd like to know the other possible reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
People prefer to do their own thing, or it is hard to find someone interested in a particular Fandom. Unless you go Roleplay Steven Universe (Regrettably) or Undertale (story was good, but i think it should be left at that point), you will probably be hard pressed to find someone who will join your thing. You may have luck with starwars too. If you try to do, like a Fandom RP based off of Faster Than Light, you probably won't get anyone. If you want to roleplay as a particular thing and you aren't having luck getting people to do it with you, try a multiverse Roleplay

I am not very comfortable writing another person's character, be it another member here or a professional writer's character.  The only exception being some characters from the Wapsi Square webcomic and fanfic, a portion of which I write.

whenever I do write another person's character, I try to get input from either the original author or a consensus from fellow fanfic authors.

A lot of fandom RP interest checks seem to require the other party to write a certain canon character or double with them.  I'd be willing to play just an OC.

Also, what few fandom interest checks that don't require me to write a canon character, I'm not interested in that particular fandom.

And finally, I'm flat-out reluctant to participate in a fandom RP because I don't want to get into arguments about the details of a universe... Comic universes especially.  There's so many friggin reboots and whatnot of Marvel and DC I gave up trying to keep track of everything.

I am not very comfortable writing another person's character, be it another member here or a professional writer's character.  The only exception being some characters from the Wapsi Square webcomic and fanfic, a portion of which I write.

whenever I do write another person's character, I try to get input from either the original author or a consensus from fellow fanfic authors.

A lot of fandom RP interest checks seem to require the other party to write a certain canon character or double with them.  I'd be willing to play just an OC.

Also, what few fandom interest checks that don't require me to write a canon character, I'm not interested in that particular fandom.

And finally, I'm flat-out reluctant to participate in a fandom RP because I don't want to get into arguments about the details of a universe... Comic universes especially.  There's so many friggin reboots and whatnot of Marvel and DC I gave up trying to keep track of everything.

A Huge Problem with Fandom RPs, particularly Multiverse, is when two characters fight, and it just becomes a contest to see who can have the most ridiculous powers and counters. The Problem is probably the worst in Comic Universe, but Sci-fi has it too. The biggest problem there is that they throw in a ton of terms with no real meaning, and then don't actually give reasons why they would win. They worst is probably the good 'ole Star Trek vs. Star Wars headache. As someone who is starting a multiverse RP, i have thought about this quite a bit 

I enjoy rping Fandom rp because of the fandom world. The rules are already there and the setting is too if the rp wants to start where the original story was. By playing a fandom rp, all the players have the same/similar idea how things should go.

The thing I dont do is play or play with a canon character. It's just a personal preference of mine. I take joy of exploring my own character and see the development of other people's characters too.

What also helps this it that people often don't even understand the entirety of what they arguing for, and they just say that the other person has no clue what they're talking about. I had an argument like this recently where i was being told i could not power a tank with a nucleae engine built for cars, and the people claimed i had no clue what i was talking about, then i went on bringing actual facts and evidence that A i knew what i was talking about and B that you can indeed power a tank with electricity. It had to do with a prius. And like Wheatthins is talking about it is a pain when people just come out with a counter that has no real meaning especially when they don't actually know the full capacity of what they're talking about. Such as with star trek, the gun's iron sights literally being impossible to use. Yet they will defend it to the death that you can when even people who used the props said it would be extremely impractical. It is mainly just a challenge because nobody likes to see what they like fail. As well as the simple fact that in some situations there is just not enough information to compare the two things with. So it really just comes down to people BSing what they can't find for sure just to 1 up the other person.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally have never been involved in a Fandom. I was unaware what they were for quite some time. However, even when, "what a fandom is", was being explained to me, I could see why many might avoid it. 

Fandom in general seems to carry a lot of the same stigma that 1X1 does. (they had to explain that one to me too)

Apparently persons that are newer to roleplay or have issues separating from what they are writing sometimes congregate in this styles. Not that everyone does. But these were the major issues with this styles that I was told about. 

• Romance gets laid on too heavy and becomes the focus or is just not something people wish to be involved in. 
  • Drama in OOC seems to erupt over in-character tiffs. 
  • People cannot agree on the gray areas of a universe that have not been defined. 
  • Situations seem to often devolve into battle of who can out do the other person with knowledge or moves that relate to the Fandom. 

I don't think that holds true to all fandoms but that is sort of the overview I was given. I have poked my head in from time to time but I never see anything in fandom that I understand. I guess I am too old to really know any of the things people want to RP right now. 

[SIZE=14.6667px]Mainly because of ship wars, haha.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]People focus more on the romance (or the lack of) and it makes it super boring when there's no plot. However, I do fandom roleplays if I can tell it's more plot-based and stuff. I worry about people fighting over parts of canon, too, but a good group doesn't quite have that issue.[/SIZE]

Im a fandom rper myself so Ive never been totally aware of this within that section but from I gathered from others I think I understand what you mean..

Personally the only time I struggle with finding people to join a fandom is when whatever Im trying to do isnt very popular - personally I stick with anime rps most of the time and its rare to find rps about a lot of anime that arent overly popular (Naruto is generally the main anime fandom that gets somewhere) so it can be hard to find the right topic/setting to go with that will attract other people.

and from personal experience I notice most rps that stick with canon characters generally go unnoticed and I think the reason for that mostly borders on people liking to do their own thing or bring their ideas and thoughts into the world of something they love. Hell I could imagine a naruto rp with just canpn characters etc. and personally its something I wouldnt find too appealing - the core reason I personally rp fandom is because I loved the thought of brining my own things to the table - gives people the chance to somewhat mold a fandom they love into something of their own. You will see this with just about every AU rp out there where people take the basic idea/mechanics of a certain book/movie/game/anime and make it into something your own.

so in the end if you ask my advice on what makes a awesome fandom, its something which can both implement a good story (plot is always important) and allow some forms of creativity to give people something to toy around with. Afterall generally the most fun part about an rp is making your own character (At least this is my personal preference) so I hopefully this post helps you out in your future fandom rp endeavours. 

I personally don't do a lot of fandom roleplaying. I dislike playing canon characters or having them played in the roleplay, though that's mostly a personal thing. It's probably mostly because characters develop in roleplays. That development gets really awkward when a canon character starts to morph into something they're not in the series.

Also, way too much romance for my tastes. I work on a more 'if it happens, it happens' basis.

I also find a lot of players feel that they don't have to make interesting new settings/plots because they're playing in a fandom - and, frankly, that's.. boring. There's no reason (in my mind) to play through an adventure that's already has its end.

I do enjoy OC-only alternate plot fandom roleplays, though~

//disclaimer: all of that stuff up there's personal opinion and preference

sounds like people just have a lot of bad experiences with it, which is understandable. you never know who you're playing with, which means most of the time you're playing with someone half your age for whom the idea of romance is new, strange, and exciting, resulting in way too much forced, unnatural romance in every story. that's why I don't do romance, ever; too much risk that one or more participants are minors. well that, and it just doesn't interest me, and I'm also bad at it, but that's less relevant.

Eh, I personally wouldn't say age is much of a factor in whether somebody likes romance or not. People want romance, are neutral, or hate it, usually. People twice my age that I know love romance games that I nope out of, and youngers do too.

I don't usually like to do fandom stuff because I'm not comfortable with my ability to write someone else's character well. I've tried doing fandom RP before, and I've found that I have to limit myself to playing only a very few characters because otherwise I'm just not confident. I can only think of two or three characters I'd be willing to play.

And then, yes, there are some fandoms I actually do want to play for where I can't find someone else who's interested.

I like oc/oc fandoms, personally. If the world or concept is interesting to begin with of course, and if I can make original twists and plots. But anything involving canon characters just rubs me a weird way. Like, these aren't my characters, they were created by someone else. Because their creator isn't controlling them, the characters' actions never feel... right? I guess? It always feels off to me. I might also say it feels corny. ahah

But that is just me.

I've noticed that on most role play sites people are pretty much never interested in fandom role plays. Especially if it's canon x oc. (Yes, even with doubling). I just wanted to know (from those of you who don't like fandom role plays) why that is?I mean, honestly, it's 100% possible it could just be me. But in the small percentage that it's not, I'd like to know the other possible reason.

Well, it's really not like that as much as it may seem. The second largest section of group RPs has always been Fandom. We non-Fandomers are just not quite caught up on things in the Fandom RPs, or we just aren't so comfortable with them.

Like, you know, what he said.

I like oc/oc fandoms, personally. If the world or concept is interesting to begin with of course, and if I can make original twists and plots. But anything involving canon characters just rubs me a weird way. Like, these aren't my characters, they were created by someone else. Because their creator isn't controlling them, the characters' actions never feel... right? I guess? It always feels off to me. I might also say it feels corny. ahah

But that is just me.

Well...

First off: not liking fandoms and not liking fandom RPs are two entirely different discussions.

When it comes to my RP experience, I personally feel that having a Fandom RP is somewhat unoriginal. Sure, you can have an OC, but there seems to be a certain package of portions of the RP that seem immutable. The universe, some of the characters, or perhaps just the plot even seem to be tied up. I like to be a bit more free-form.

I consider this an analogy: why buy a frame and buy paints for a painting when you have the resources to craft it? Sure, it may be less elegant, but it is yours. 

Also, I do not nearly have enough of a life to have a RP-able fandom. 

Personally, if I love a story enough to want to morph it into a role play, I would DIE INSIDE if I butchered a character, and I think a lot of that fear holds me back. I've tried kind of an AU thing, just using the setting, but that's only with stories with an interesting setting like One Piece (a lot of others apply, that's just my favorite, lol) and not a whole lot of people go for that. I just cannot bring myself to play characters... or have someone else butcher them in my presence. As such, I just avoid fandom in general, even with original characters, or OC's with canon characters.

For me...I feel like I'm ripping off someone else's universe, one that does not require detail in explaining what the surroundings of the RP is like.  The only way I see a Fandom that could potentially work is an alternate universe.

In detailed RP's, detailing the setting you are in is a huge, huge factor that can be explored widely.  You can't alter the major settings in a Fandom, otherwise it throws everyone off.

That's my opinion at least.

I personally think of it as similar to writing fanfiction. There are rules that you have to stick to and while that is extremely helpful in writing fics, it limits the overall purpose of role-playing. In the RP world there is this notion that you are allowed to be and do something entirely different and having to conform to Fandom rules puts a damper on that. I may be wrong but there were a couple of RP sites that focused on Fandoms. I've been in some scenes in the past and while it is certainly enjoyable to act as a canon character (say Cloud Strife for example), you'll have to continually look over your shoulder just to make sure that you're still in character. Not that this doesn't apply to OCs, but we all get the point.

I'm part of a ton of fandoms and roleplay fandoms pretty often. The main issue I come up against is in fact the OC x Canon. Half the time the person looking for a roleplay only plays female characters (which is okay(there's a lot more to say about that but I'll leave it) but it can make it difficult with such limitations) and is basically looking for a roleplay partner to play a canon to achieve their romantic fantasies concerning that character. Which is all good and fine considering roleplaying is all about the imagination and all of that. However as a lot of people have pointed romance-centric roleplays aren't for everyone. On top of that when I have agreed to double  in the past I find it's usually with a lot of effort into their OC's storyline and a very lazy attempt at the other side. So there's my two cents. 

I like a number of fandoms that I follow, but that doesn't mean I feel up to representing the characters (canon ones in particular) the way the writer would without spending more time second-guessing myself than enjoying myself. If it's a fandom I don't enjoy it's simply not worth the grief, and if it's one I do like then it doesn't matter how much my roleplaying partner assures me they don't mind - I do. There's also an element of not wanting to simply be fulfilling someone else's romantic fantasies (roleplay should be good for all the writers involved, or it tends to die an early death). 

Much easier writing my own characters, and usually I prefer to write an original world/setting/scenario as well. I don't have the same hyper-protective attitude toward my own characters* as I/we tend to have for certain canon ones, so that doesn't mean I'm committed to making sure they "win" the way they're "supposed to".

*Actually, I suspect my characters are on the point of launching a class action suit against me for undue harm and distress.

I used to run an X-Men/Xavier's School rp, which mostly had OCs, though there were a few people who preferred to play canon characters.  The big problem I encountered was reining in people who kept trying to OP their characters.  

I don't really see the point in requiring someone to play a canon character.  The story can always be framed so that any canon characters not being played are Mysteriously Missing, etc.  

I like playing pre-existing characters outside of their settings. It's funny having people tell you that it was like having the actual character from the show dropped into their story.

I am a part of multiple fandoms and I have a lot of favorite fictional characters from those fandoms. It is however, impossible for me to role-play a character that isn't mine in their own unique personality (it's just odd role-playing someone else's character that I didn't create)outside of their story, show, or movie, it just feels sort of unnatural to me to have them in this separate setting other than the main plot of what is happening in their fandom's current plot. That's just my personal opinion about that, though it might be why some role-play websites aren't really that interested in doing that sort of thing. 

Now I have seen some fandom role-plays where it takes place within that fandom's setting, but it is a unique and separate story line away from the main characters (or canon characters whatever you want to call them) and the characters that do take part in the role-play are the writer's own OC's (original character's), and these I like, since it still allows you to enjoy the fandom and it's plot but the writer's or role-players still get to add a little bit of their own creative twist to it. And yes, sometimes the canon characters may make an appearance which is still pretty interesting as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back