Literature What advice would you give to a fellow writer?

Emmy

☽ 𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓂𝓎 𝓂𝒾𝓃𝒹 ☾
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hi, hello!

So, I have been writing since I was roughly ten years old and now I am twenty-three. I would say I have improved since childhood, or at least I hope so. However, recently I feel as though my passion for writing has continued to deepen. Maybe it is because of this global pandemic and quarantine, or maybe it is because my mental health will grasp onto just about anything, but I truly believe I have found what I personally seem to click with. The way a writer can paint a scene or an image with just mere words is nothing short of magical to me and I adore it.

With that said, I wish to be better. I want to continue to write but I want my readers to see the passion that I do indeed have and that it seems like I struggle to get across. I also want to broaden my vocabulary. With schooling out of the option for me as of this moment, I decided I would come to my favorite community of writers.

So, my question for you lovely people today is this:

If you could give any advice to a fellow writer wishing to improve their writing, what would it be?

Don't get too caught up in the idea of writing well. No, seriously. Just write, write and write. Vomit words if you have to-- remember that finished books are like nth draft and that nobody's first draft is perfect. (Nothing is perfect, period.) You can always edit stuff later, but first, it needs to exist.

Also, obligatory read, read and read. There's your free education!

And a practical advice-- vary your sentence lengths. Short, choppy sentences are for action, long sentences are for exposition. Too many choppy sentences and your reader will feel like they're being hit by bullets, too many long sentences and your readers will fall asleep. Also, break the rules from time to time! A long sentence, if it's chaotic enough, can make you feel as if the narrator is sort of feverish/panicking, and sometimes, that's what you want. In order to be able to break rules effectively, though, you need to understand why they are a thing in the first place.

Try practicing with different kinds of stories or texts, to get the feel of them, before you go off an start writing a whole bunch of stuff using a certain vibe or something like that.

For one thing, the more you write the more you will improve. So RP, write short stories, write vignettes, write novellas, attempt a novel. All of these things will help you improve your craft alongside reading. Never stop writing. Even if you feel like it isn't your best work, throw something about there and see what sticks. Get those words out of your head and on the page regardless of quality. As long as you have the incentive and the idea, you have the barebones structure to make a good piece of writing.

Never stop reading either. All books, preferably, but certainly concentrated in your favorite genres. Read things that you enjoy, not just what you are "supposed to read". If you can not get into "War and Peace", don't sweat it, get into something else. Embrace those guilty pleasures, study what makes you like what you like.

Thirdly, write what you like. Do not worry about what is popular or what is "respected" write whatever you enjoy. For now, don't even worry about criticism, just write for the sake of it. In fact, first in foremost remember this is your writing and if you do not feel passion or joy for it, then it won't be your best work because all good works, all best works have one thing and that is passion. You have to love what you do to do it well and a reader can always tell if you loved it.

Finally, accept criticism. Of course, don't accept hate such as "lol u suk" because that is just unhelpful and unkind, but do not be afraid to get criticism on a piece of work. I know it may seem scary at first, but you know what? No one's first draft is a Pulitzer prize winner. It is ok to have made many mistakes in your first venture forth, what is important is that you made them and you're learning from them.

And I bid you happy writings my friend!

There is never any reason to use the word "absolutely", unless your goal is to communicate the message "I have no confidence in this assertion". It's a uniquely useless member of the least useful part of speech, in the sense that it tells the reader the opposite of what the writer usually intends by it.

Read read read. Classics and new stories and grab something random to be exposed to all sorts of authors. You'll expand your vocab naturally when you encounter new words, and it's much easier to memorize them when they're used multiple throughout a work. You'll be exposed to different styles of writing, and can pay attention to what scenes are done well, and start to think about why- what was the sentence structure like and what kinds of words were used in a scene that made you emotional? What literary devices were used? What didn't work well in a book is just as informative too and shows you what you want to avoid in your own writing. I can tell my writing has suffered from not reading as much lately, so I'm kind of a hypocrite, but it's a lot harder to improve when you're stuck in your own head.

For writers out there who are struggling.

Never. Give. Up. Don't get frustrated and give up on a story. I believe that each story you make is unlocking a new world that needs to be unfolded. Writing is a long process. You need to have patience. One thing I can tell you though is that if you are stressing and not enjoying what you are doing, then take a deep breath and work on it later. This also goes for essays (for the teens out there.) If you are feeling overwhelmed, take a break, come back to it later. Also going to places that make you happy like coffee shops, your bedroom, etc. Go to a place that helps you focus. You can find inspiration anywhere. Just keep your eyes open.

I wish the best of luck to all writers out there.

You can spend a really long time on a piece and it still be utter crap. And the reverse is true. Effort doesn't equal excellence. Therefore, don't spend tons of time on any one writing.

Last edited:
Hi, hello!

So, I have been writing since I was roughly ten years old and now I am twenty-three. I would say I have improved since childhood, or at least I hope so. However, recently I feel as though my passion for writing has continued to deepen. Maybe it is because of this global pandemic and quarantine, or maybe it is because my mental health will grasp onto just about anything, but I truly believe I have found what I personally seem to click with. The way a writer can paint a scene or an image with just mere words is nothing short of magical to me and I adore it.

With that said, I wish to be better. I want to continue to write but I want my readers to see the passion that I do indeed have and that it seems like I struggle to get across. I also want to broaden my vocabulary. With schooling out of the option for me as of this moment, I decided I would come to my favorite community of writers.

So, my question for you lovely people today is this:

If you could give any advice to a fellow writer wishing to improve their writing, what would it be?
Read a lot. Write often. Hire the best editor you can get xD

I'm going to give a little advice that's different here. I would say that if you find yourself hitting a wall instead of forcing yourself to write, take a break from the the piece that you're working on. Give it time to breathe. Give yourself time to be re-inspired. Not everything has to be met with brute force.

Go outside. Observe people. Observe your surroundings.

Find tiny things that are different. Talk to different people. Watch your favourite movie. Take a nap. Have a cookie.

Its usually when you're in a better head space that you can write more freely. Write something new, if you have new ideas. You can always return to your original piece later. You'll find yourself naturally continuing to write if you enjoy the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back