welian's color palette/theory resource thread

welian

#BlackLivesMatter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
welian's awesome list of color resources

Hey, fellow nerds! Below is a list of sites I use when picking out colors for post layouts, artwork, and typographic work. I figured I'd go trawling my browsing history and put together some of the things I use.

DeGraeve's Color Palette Generator

My main source, you put in the URL of an image and it spits out a muted and a bright palette based on the colors in the image.

Color Me Curious

A Tumblr blog of user-submitted palettes. The quality varies, but it's a good blog to follow if you're into palette challenges.

Adobe Color CC (wheel)

All hail Adobe, the slavemaster of our artistic souls. This page has a color wheel and various settings and sliders to allow you to toy around and create your own color palettes.

Adobe Color CC (explore)

This page is similar to the Color Me Curious blog - it's all the palettes that have been saved and submitted to Adobe Color. You can sort by popularity and by keyword. You can also select a palette and edit your own copy of it in the wheel if you want to tweak it.

Web Safe Color

A very simple site that shows all 256 web-safe colors, perfect for pixel art palettes. The drop-down menu in the upper right allows you to view different sets of colors.

ColorHexa

Input a hex or rgb code (or even a name) for a color, and it will bring up information on that color including a description, similar alternative colors, and suggested color schemes.

I'll add more to this list as I come across stuff in the future.

Musician's Mini List of Color Resources

Paletton

This one is probably one of my favorites when I'm trying to come up with color schemes. It's a great tool if you're starting to get into the whole designing thing. There is a ton of different ways for you to alter the color scheme, too. As you get used to designing with colors, it may seem "unreliable" in terms of the variety and aesthetics go, but I still go back to it if I need a little boost or inspiration.

ColorPicker

ColorPicker is great if you're just trying to look for a specific color without having to worry about the scheme. I find it much easier to use than other color pickers and it is also more convenient than having to download or open a photo editor.

HTML Color Mixer

This is great if you're trying to learn how colors will mix on the interwebs. It's usually not like your typical paint. For example, blues and yellows don't always make green (trippy I know)! It's definitely worth using if you're curious about how more of the color stuff plays with one another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictaculous

Can't figure out a color scheme with the picture you have? Upload the picture, and it'll give you the main hex colors in the picture. They also have color guides that "may go together" along with the hex colors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back