• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy We Are Musketeers

MaximumofHope

" Miria Kirklan, Corin Naria, Mortred, Leif Fellwinter, Leyna, Isabela Kennedy, your words and your oaths are taken into account. You six shall rise to this occasion and sent to Zorim. Your mission is thus, observe and act as agents of our order to ensure the peoples protection. If the issues of the Kingdom are so far gone that nothing can be done to save it with your own strength then know we will come should you need us, to purge the wicked with our full power, a Crusade." the old man spoke with a slow tone, yet his voice could still be heard despite the large size of the room. 

The word rang with a heavy finality to it, as was befitting for what it meant among the ranks of the Musketeers. Once a Crusade was called the full might of the Musketeers would be brought against the offending kingdom, removing corruption root and steam. The full might of every nonactive soldier would come down on the capital, their lands, and every single holding that could be connected. Their would be trials, executions, and by the end the organization would set a new force in power, rebuilding brick by brick before going back to the shadows. There had only been three Crusades called in the entirety of the organizations history, but each had resulted in massive causalities on both sides, both the guilty and innocent were forced to pay for a brighter tomorrow. It was the blackest thing the group could do, and it was only to be done if no other option presented itself. Those who felt the need to call for it had often resigned from the Musketeers upon its completion, unable to live with themselves at seeing the blood on their hands. 

The pale man rose next. "But no matter what remember that you act as the extension of the will of the Musketeers, our first responsibility is to the people and their protection. Remember your vows, because outside this place will be people who may be black as sin, but all people can be redeemed. Death is finality incarnate, and to take a life is to end all choice. Serve as a force of change, not a judge of death."

Finally the raven haired woman arose. "And please know that no matter how far you go or what you face there will still be a home for you at the end. Do your duty as far as you can, but remember your brothers and sisters in arms stand behind you. In failure or success we are united under a single goal, and you will never be without so long as we are behind you."

The old man couldn't suppress a small smile on his face. "Gather your personal supplies, say goodbye to any friends, conclude all business before you leave. As soon as the moon reaches its apex our Seeker Division will open a small gate to bring your party about a mile out from the capital city. You will be provided with gold enough to gain yourself property, but beyond that how you move forward will be largely up to you. You need only contact us if an emergency happens and you need aid, other then that your own actions will be respected."

"In the name of the Musketeers, serve well!" the three shouted. 

"For in this and all things, the blessing of the Creator and the Sword Saint!" the rest of the assembled crowd said at once. 

And like that it was done, those who had not been chosen filed out of the meeting room, and the three leaders of the divisions made their own exit, leaving only the six who had been tasked with going forward in the room. 

Zorim

The Kingdom of Zorim was an ancient one whose stone walls had been crafted by the hands of the abused and downtrodden of various other kingdoms, come together to form a nation of free thinkers who would be ruled over by a King whose own power could be checked by the noble men, who in turn would be controlled by an elected council of free thinkers, who could in turn be held in check by the King. For quite some time this system had worked well enough, but within the last fifty years things had changed. The nobility used their resources to bully the elected council into supporting them, silently arranging for accidents to happen should they fall outside of their control. With hold over two parts of the kingdoms governing body the nobility were free to do as they wished. Higher taxes, strict laws, greater freedom for their interests, they were boundless. Of course the King himself was no saint, and had been known to take many beautiful women into his castle to serve him no matter their status. 

This of course brought a criminal element into the kingdom itself, wicked people who saw the downtrodden citizens and harsh laws as perfect grounds to gain controls of pockets of the communities. So long as the guards could be paid off, and the guards kicked some up to the nobles the criminal element was allowed to flourish. 

The actual structure of the Kingdom was quite a sight to behold, with three large areas each sectioned off by massive stone walls that could protect from even the most dangerous monster attacks. The first 'ring' contained the poorer districts and large farms as well as the military training areas, making sure that any passing diplomats would get a fine sight of the strength of the kingdoms might. The second 'ring' contained the various shops and working districts, as well as some houses to the minor nobility. The third of these 'rings' contained the towering castle where the King and the highest nobility lived, surrounded by their guards and luxury. 

The streets were not often dark even during the nights, thanks to lanterns that drew power from the natural magic in the air in order to fuel bright flames that brought comfort to those who were forced to make their trek home in the dark. Even the poorest ring, known as Tiere, had these marvels of magical engineering built among the dirt roads. 

But this night something was different, three figures walked along the dirt roads, and with each step the lanterns flickered out and died until they had passed far enough away. It was as if the flames were dimmed by their very presence and forced to fade. At the head of the group was a person wearing a green hooded robe which flowed unnaturally in the windless night. The other two behind the figure were dressed in patchwork clothing, their faces covered with masks depicting sorrowful faces who carried swords at their sides. 

This group stopped in front of a building that had seen better days, with a sign outside of it designating it as a bakery. The hooded figure put a hand against the door and it opened for it. The figure stepped inside and the two others followed it in, going up a set of rickety stairs to the living quarters over the bakery. The hooded figure paused before stepping forward to a closed door, putting his hands on the knob and ripping it off its hinges as if it were secured by paper. It tossed the heavy door aside and stepped into a small room which held a family of four, a baker, his wife, and their young daughter and son. "Oh how sweet, it must be nice to get such easy rest." the voice from the figure was odd at the very least, seemingly a mixture of a soft feminine voice and a harsh growl. 

The family awoke in shock, and the baker's face turned white in terror. "C-C-Cloth, what are you..."

"Oh good, you do remember me," the hooded figure known as Cloth stepped forward and pulled the baker out of the bed with unnatural strength, tossing him to the side. Despite having a slim build Cloth seemed to have more then enough strength to force the portly man to move. "Because when my men didn't bring my full 'payment' I was so worried you forgot."

"Taxes went up, I couldn't afford it this month, please I will pay double next month." the baker knew he couldn't meet that, but it might give him time to at least protect his family. 

"Double?" Cloth tilted its head to the side, face still hidden by the hood of its cloak. "A fine offer, but you know what they say, children in service now is better then gold tomorrow." Cloth snapped and the two masked figures walked to the childrens beds and foribly pulled them out, holding them despite their struggles and cries. 

"You monster, don't you dare touch my-" before the baker could continue Cloth flashed forward and grabbed him by the throat, lifting him off the ground. 

"Hm, insulting me was a mistake," a white mist rolled off of Cloth's cloak, wrapping around the Baker and draining him of life. The mans skin went grey and cold as the light left his eyes, and when the Baker finally stopped struggling a white light escaped from his mouth and flowed into Cloth's cloak, which seemed to absorb it into the fabric. Once Cloth had finished it simply tossed the Baker's lifeless body aside. "It seems I was a bit petty, oh dear." Cloth reached into its cloak and pulled out a sack of coins, tossing them to the still cowering wife. "Payment for your loss, I am sure I will see it again soon. Come along dears back to the carnival with us." Cloth laughed and turned its back on the wife, who had fainted in shock. 

The two masked figured pulled the children along in utter silence as their screams rang out through the night. 

But no one came to the sound of those screams. Everyone knew what had happened, or at least had an idea. 

And still.

No one came.

Current Goals

• Have your characters meet and talk with each other.
  • Have your characters conclude any business within the hidden sanctuary of the Musketeers. Feel free to incorporate NPC's if you wish. 
  • If you run out of things to do don't feel ashamed in just saying your character goes to wait until it is time to leave. 
  • If you have any questions use the out of character chat to ask them or PM me directly. 
  • This round of free form posting will last for one week, concluding next Sunday/Monday before your characters are moved to a mile out from the city.

Isabela glanced around as the leaders went out of the room. So, those were going to be their companions during this mission ? She closed her eyes and nodded silently. They all seemed to be trustworthy and more than competent. This mission will probably be dangerous, and all of them needed to rely on each other if they wanted to survive and bring justice to this cruel world. She opened her eyes and looked at every one of the other Musketeers that stayed in the room.

« Looks like we are going to be partners. » She simply said, breaking the silence that fell on the room when the leaders were gone. She walked forward and turned around to face all the Musketters that stayed. « The best to do is to learn more about each other, so we can have each other’s back if the situation asked it. We are Musketters, and more than that, we are going to be allies. We are going to bring justice in Zorim. »

She paused a moment, and when she talked again, her voice seemed less serious, and more friendly, even if her green eyes were still sparkling with passion and determination. She smiled and bowed slightly.

« As you may have heard, my name is Isabela Kennedy. I am a Master of Arms, and the blacksmith’s daughter. I’m glad to meet you all. »

Last edited by a moderator:
Storm gray orbs flicked back and forth between the speakers, their words seemed to resonate with the weight of unseen responsibility. It gave the meeting and almost ominous air though there was a certain pride in being one of those chosen to go forth and protect the people, one of the Musketeers. Despite the Damocles sword of the crusade looming above them the raven haired woman's words inspired confidence.

As the numerous armed men and woman filed out after a grand salute Leif carefully surveyed those that had stayed behind. They made a diverse bunch of warriors, yet each of them seemed to carry themselves with determination. Many sported blades of a more elegant design than the scimitar resting against his back, though here and there more outlandish weapons caught his attention and even a musket clearly denoting a member of the Rangers group could be seen.

An auburn haired champion of the blade took the floor and after her short introduction the former merchant was sure he'd seen her before, though they hadn't exchanged words. Upon his arrival her father had taught him how to keep a blade sharp and capable. The pleasant memories cast the ghost of a smile across his features.

“Likewise.” he offered a court nod toward the group before adding” I go by Leif and have also chosen the path of the blade above my calling as a merchant. Don't hesitate to rely on me, as I will trust in your skills.” There was a brief pause as he considered his next words before speaking, “If anyone would like to join me for a last meal before the onset of our journey, I'd welcome the company."

Miria looked around , her unnatural red eyes narrowing slightly as she thought to herself. They were down a seeker just based on her observations of the room , 6 musketeers were not common and slightly unheard of but Miria had faith that she and the others would not fail this mission. 

As 2 of her compaions spoke she realised that she wasnt the only master of arms , but 2 others had claimed to be aswell. 'This must be why we arw down a seeker' She thought to herself as she picked up her cloak and sheathed sword ,placing it back on her back before putting the cloak back on.

Miria also observed that the other master at arms were slightly older and a bit more experienced then her self , but then again she expected it as she was only 22 and just finnished her training before stumbling upon the meeting and volenteering herself for reasons unbeknown to her aftet thinking it over a few times.

She knew this was going to be hard , especially since she dosent talk much and if she does only a few words every few days. She nodded to herself and smiled before going back to silently watching the others from her spot in the corner.

Nariah nodded goodbye to his friends as they filed out of the room, patting a few of them on the shoulder before turning his attention to his allies in the room. He knew it might be a while before he saw his friends again, who knows how long the mission might take, or even if he would return, but it was a risk he was willing to take. The cause resonated with him, part of the very reason he joined the Musketeers in the first place. He stopped his thoughts there, not wanting them to return to his home. It was a painful subject that he preferred not to think about.

He moved his eye to the woman now talking. He recognised her, having seen her training when he was getting his blade fixed by the blacksmith. He knew that she was skilled, and given her words, he could trust her on the mission. Leif, a man Nariah did not recognise, spoke next, seemingly just as trustworthy. He could not attest to the man's skills, but him being in the Musketeers was enough proof anyway. A meal did sounds good, but Nariah wished to officially meet the other Musketeers they would be fighting alongside before eating. He gently smiled at the others.

"I am Nariah, a Seeker," He told them, bowing his head in greeting and closing his eye. "I anticipate serving with you." He straightened up, adjusting his sword as it had slipped slightly out of place.

Mortred's eyes lazily shifted from speaker to speaker, a familiar feel coming to her senses as her fingers skimmed across the handle of her blade. It was indeed clear that, she's quite uninterested in their 'pep-talk', as how she would put it. It had attracted the attention of some Musketeers that had caught on, their eyes scrutinizing Mortred's subtle display of utter indifference of such an important situation, their negative opinions of the assassin tripling with the fact that she was one of the chosen.

On the contrary, Mortred was anything but uncaring, the gravity of the situation was well and clear to her the moment the word Crusade had immediately left the old man's lips.

Mortred had already accepted the dark truth of the world ever since she was of young and tender age. Her kind had to, lest they be thrown to the wolves like all others who chose to stay blisfully hopeful. More like blisfully mad. She scoffed. The idea of a perfectly world only proves itself on why it never left the stage of being an idea, it's simply impossible, unachievable.

The idea of a better and not a perfect world is an idea more realistic than the latter, and it is the main goal of the Musketeers, and why Mortred had joined the organization in the first place. 

Once Mortred had deemed that she had heard enough though, the assassin had tuned out the entirety of the remaining speech, and quickly returned to fiddling with the handle of her blade, returning to reality once the sounds of chairs across wood had reached her ears, signifying that the meeting was over.

With a wide sweep of her eyes, the Ranger had eyed a few of her fellow Musketeers, and can't help but feel a bit... underwhelmed. They all seem so young. That is not to say, that Mortred is not young as well. No, at the prime age of 27, the assassin had prided herself on being far more experienced than one would usually be at that age. Aside from one (who looks like a tough, road-worn vagabond to his credit), all of them seemed to be younger than her by at least, four or five years. The Ranger had immensely doubted they had gone through anything similar to what she had done, and if they were indeed ready for the Crusade to come.

Her thoughts were broken by the auburn-haired one speaking up, introducing herself as the daughter of one of the Musketeer's blacksmith. Mortred, being a weapons enthusiast herself, have gone to all sorts of blacksmiths across the land of Izunra, and so she was familiar of their kind. Blunt, loud-mouthed, and proud, they were one of the best people to have a drink with, yet they also have the largest of hearts. She'll have to test if Isabela's indeed the daughter of a blacksmith later.

Next was Leif, the man Mortred had filed as 'road-worn vagabond' earlier, and she was slightly correct. Being a merchant demanded one to hop from city to city in search of greener pastures -- or bigger wallets -- so Leif had earned a bit of respect from the assassin, as she was no stranger to the hardships of travelling long distances. The thought of a warm and delicious meal was tempting, but she had preferred knowing her allies before dining with them.

Then another spoke up, this one's name was Nariah, a Seeker, and Mortred can practically feel the mana from his systems. Having fought against, and alongside mages before, the assassin's wasn't sure on where to put the Seeker on her first impressions list, but with the eyepatch, he probably had a story to tell behind it.

She had then realized she was next in line to introduce herself. "Ah, my name is Mortred, of the Rangers division" she offered charming smile to all at first, but once the word 'ranger' came out, a gleam of deviltry was present in her eyes, though it had dissipated rather quickly. "We are all to be companions starting from this day, are we not. If so, then I believe we should be comfortable with each other, why go into battle with people you don't trust?" the spectacle of Mortred weaving words upon words was always a sound to behold, or maybe it was just her voice that did the trick, who knows?

Isabela looked at each one of her companions, and nodded to all of them. She may have seen some of them before, because they were Master of Arms just like here, or simply because they did some businesses with her father, but she never spoke to them before. All of the Musketters present here seemed fit for a mission as dangerous as the one they were assigned to.

Three Master of Arms,  two Rangers and only one Seeker... this wasn't the most balanced Musketeer's team. However, the leader have decided, and they thought that they were the best for this mission. that meant this team was the perfect one, and she trusted their choice.

Her eyes turned to Leif, and she gave him a warm smile. "You are right, Leif, a meal sounds like the best way to get to know each other. Plus, we'll need to be in good shape for when we'll need to go to Zorim. I'll gladly join you. And i'm sure i'm not the only one to think that." She said, as she looked at the other Musketeers. "Am i right?" She asked, "I'm sure we are all hungry. At least, i am." She justified. Perhaps some of the people present in the room weren't eager for a meal, and she doesn't wanted to sounds like she was patronizing them. This wasn't her intention at all.

Her eyes then looked at the other one present in the room. She gave them the exact smile, a one she wanted to be friendly, and closed her eyes. "I'd love to get to know each one of you more, before we go."

It wasn't that Leif cared overly much for formalities but he recognized the benefit of getting to know each of his allies a little better, some allowing their actions to reveal as much or more than their words. The seeker was a pleasant surprise, there where few enough who could manipulate the unseen forces and fewer still that had enough sense not to dismiss the very tangible protection of a blade. Better to trust in steel than sorcery, he gave one of his protective charms a quick brush... just to be safe, you never knew with magic.

While Nariah's abilities caused him a bit of discomfort it was Mortred's appearance that irked him most. Every time he wasn't looking directly at her she seemed to fade into the background, details seemed to evade him. Blinking once more Leif decided it must have been a trick of the light. In contrast her voice was smooth, delightful even, distinguishing her starkly from the rangers he'd met previously. Intriguing companions made for an intriguing adventure, or so it was said. 

The swordsman was still busy mustering the young white haired woman who'd elected to stay silent when Isabela granted him a warm smile and spoke. “Well, I'd be honored by your company.” He gave the smallest indication of a bow toward the gathered group before adding. “If there's anything more I can do for you before we depart you'll find me in the Lion's Rest.” Having said his part he turned and left, trusting none would take offense to his departure.

---

The Lion's rest was a squat structure of brick and wood, constructed years ago as a large storage room and since been re purposed by adding a kitchen, central oven and numerous tables. Its interior would be best described as cozy, the deep blue cushions and tablecloths having seen better days and yet remaining fuctional through the abudant application of patching. Smells from the kitchen drifted into the main room filling Leif's nostrils with the scent of stew as he entered.

HIs grand scimitar was placed in a rack by the entrance alongside a few other arms as a stout man laden with a heavy tray exited the kitchen and stomped toward one of the occupied tables. Gesturing at an open seat near the window with a promise to be right over was the common form of greeting one could expect. With a thankful nod Leif noted, “It seems we're in luck, Bjorn knows how to make a fine stew and his wife's is even better. Unless my nose is lying it smells like his wife did the cooking today.” It was followed by a jovial chuckle as the swordsman made his way to the table. “So your father, the blacksmith. Did he teach you how to fence? … he's a good man, patient with those whom are not. I've ruined more than one blade in my haste to become a musketeer."

The Lion's rest was one of the best place Isabela ever put her feet in. Of course, this wasn't a fancy restaurant, but this was confortable and warm, and that's all she needed in this world.

She smelled the air and smiled. "I hope what i'll eat will be as delicious as what i smell." She said warmly. "I am not difficult, anything will be good to me." She remembered the meal her mother cooked. Those were the most delicious things she ever tasted. On the contrary, her father might have been a good blacksmith, he wasn't the greatest cook, let's say he was the worse. However, this never bothered Isabela before. She smiled back to Leif.

"I trust you about this. I never ate here, so i don't know the taste of Bjorn's stew. But i'm starving so it'll be delicious." She chuckled sightly with Leif. She sat down on the sit and smiled widely. Those seats were confortable and it was delightful to be in this warm, cozy place. She had to enjoy this atmosphere, as it'll soon be gone.

"How to fence?" She asked. "Well, Yes. Sort of. Father showed me some tricks." She smiled widely, "He indeed is. When i was younger, i was a clumsy girl and he was really kind and patient with me. The kindest man i know." She nodded. "I, too, ruined more than one of my father's weapon when i trained. Knowing how to keep a blade clean and fit for battlefield is the most important thing to know when you are a Musketeers, besides our principles and laws. If you doesn't have a decent weapon when you are a Master of Arms, then..." She shook her head. This was useless to continue. She looked at Leif, her eyes sparkling with curiosity. "What about you? Did you wandered a lot, since you are a merchant? Have you seen a lot of cities? Of people?"

Marai followed the others still staying quiet. The idea of getting to know her companions over some foodetails and drunk sounded good , even though she was just planning to sit there and listen to everyone else talk.

She sat down and crossed her legs interested in hearing aboutique her companions, though maybe not saying a worday after the meeting while they introduced themselves might be a bit creepy or weither she didn't particularly care much.

"A meal does sound good," Nariah agreed with Isabella before Leif spoke up again. He had been to The Lion's Rest a few time, but never for a meal. It might be a good place to eat, and he was willing to find out. With a small wave of farewell to Leif as he left, Nariah wanted to make sure that he had everything he needed for the mission before he joined them, and so he returned to his chambers. His bags were usually kept ready, just in case an emergency or opportunity arose. This was neither of those but the packs bags were still useful. He only had to adjust the contents slightly for it to be appropriate for the journey there were partaking in. He had money, supplies for the road (such as a tent and similar equipment), and a map of Zorim and the surrounding kingdoms. He would have liked a more specific one of the kingdoms itself, but that wasn't something that he had.

After making sure that everything was ready, he made his own way to The Lion's Rest. The pub was busy and it took Nariah a few minutes to locate where the others had been seated after he'd left his sword by the door. He made his way over and joined them, with a nod of greeting, and noticed that the woman who hadn't introduced herself was also there. He had arrived just in time to hear the question Isabella posed to Leif. 

Leif found himself nodding in agreement with Isabela's quip on masters of arms. “Indeed.” Her honest curiosity brightening his mood; it was certainly reminiscent of sharing tales around a campfire. Regrettably he hadn't quite inherited his old mans exceptional gift of story telling but there was a tale or two to be shared.

“I've seen a fair number of cities along the main trade routs, some more interesting than others. There's the great merchant port of Raim, half of which seems to be floating on the ocean itself! Rigging and planks create paths between the beached ships and the grand fleet... honestly its a rather nauseating experience to have the ground sway beneath your very feet and paths rearrange themselves overnight.” Leif paused in his tale to allow his companions the time to place orders with the passing proprietor, before continuing. “But you'll find a selection of most exotic goods and people coming and going with the tides.”

A chuckle escaped him while adding, “Not that we can claim to be the most usual bunch either. Speaking of which, perhaps our silent associate would like to share a tale?” with a gesture toward Miria. While hesitant to address the seeker, Leif did note that the man had once more proven his practical foresight in assembling various tools for their journey. 

Maria looked up from her book and shook her head slightly,  she never did well with interactions let alone talking. She mostly relied on her note pads and body language to comunicate. She thought first a few seconds about introducing herself then returning to her silence.

"Master at arms , Maria Kirkland at your service " She said monotonly , sounding slightly bored or distant with out meaning to. She hadnt a tale to tell , she had lived in this city all her life with no desire to leave it until she 'volentered' for this mission which she was almosthe certain she would either die during it or never be the same afterward.

Well, at least, Maria's introduction was clear and precise. However, that wasn't a problem for Isabela. Some Musketeers weren't very talkative, but she would have attribued that to the Rangers, not the Master of Arms, though. The most important thing wad that everyone of them could rely on her if they were in trouble, she just hoped that would be the case, even if she was almost sure she could trust Maria.

Her attention turned back to Leif, That had finished his tale. She smiled. "That sounds truly amazing. My father once went to Raim, but never told me much about it. I wished i could go with him sometimes, but i was either too young, or busy with my training." 

Her eyes glanced toward the seeker that had sit, and she gave him another smile. "Greetings, Nariah." She said, noddind to him. "I am glad you joined us today." She looked at all the things the man has packed before going to the Lion's Rest. "Well, i see that you are ready to go. That's a good thing."

"That is the reason why I had hated riding ships," Mortred had seemingly appeared out if thin air, taking a seat not too far away from the group, but with a bit of space between them. "The very thought of being thrown overboard because of the ship's teeter-and-tottering had made me fear them when I was a child," she paused, the feel of imbalance had come to the Ranger's senses once more, "but now it just feels like dancing." she finished, feet set firmly on the ground. Mortred had followed the group earlier, choosing to reveal herself once Isabela had asked Leif a question about his past. 

She had noticed how silent the white-haired girl had been earlier, introducing herself only once the merchant was done speaking-- Maria Kirkland was her name. The ranger noted how Kirkland was strictly no-talk up until Leif had finished his story. A silent-type Master of Arms wasn't unheard of, but most often Masters were the exact opposite of that. Then again, Mortred was a silver-tongued Ranger for the Creator's sake. She won't judge, just get really curious.

Next was the Seeker, Nariah. The Ranger had approved of the mage's readiness, reminding her that she should in fact, pack some things up as well in preparation. Same with Maria, Mortred was curious as well, the focus this time was on his eyepatch. She was tempted to ask, but it was probably improper to do so, who knows how Corin would react.

Isabela had spoken up, snapping Mortred back to Izunra. Her speaking had given the assassin a particular idea, "Having a smithy's daughter as an ally sounds nice," she smiled, the corners of her lips only slightly upturned, "finally I need not worry about breaking my swords while fighting, as there is someone who can fix it in the midst of battle." it was a jest, of course. Her leathered hands floated across the serrated, teeth-like part of her unique blade layed out upon the wide table. It was a treasured part of her arsenal, Manifold Paradox was it's name, and should Mortred see it be wielded with utmost lacking and disrespect... Well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.

Isabela looked at the woman who has just appeared at their table. It was Mortred, one of the Ranger of their team. She seemed to appear out of nowhere, even if she had surely followed them to the Lion's Rest earlier. Then again, a Ranger was meant to be stealthy, and Mortred was. She wasn't showing it, but Isabela was impressed by her. She looked like she was serious, and ready to do anything so her mission would be accomplished and she respected that.

Then the woman said something about the fact that she was the blacksmith's daughter. She blinked a few time and took a look at the sword. She then gave Mortred a simple smile.

"I," she began, "Indeed am a blacksmith's daughter. And that's right, i can fix a sword. My father learned me how to take care of a blade and make sure not to break it during a fight. However, when it comes to fix one... Well let's say i'll need some stuff. I can't repair one like that, with my bare hands. But, i'm just her daughter, and therefore i am not a blacksmith myself. My knowledge is limited, when it comes to piece of works like your blade." She said as she pointed her sword with her chin. "This is a magnificent weapon, and even if i know how to take care of it, when it comes to fix it if it happened to be broken, then you'll need to ask an expert. This kind of blade must be touched by the hands of an expert, and unfortunatly, i am not an expert." She shook her head, feeling like she failed at something, "I truly apologize."

Nariah smiled at Isabella as she greeted him but said nothing. They were already engrossed in a conversation and he was content to just listen as they spoke. He made a note of Maria's name as she introduced herself, finally. He understood the want to stay quiet and didn't try to pressure Maria into saying more, though he was glad to know her name. As the talk turned back to ships, Nariah began to wonder if his inexperience with them would become a problem. His home kingdom was landlocked, and even if it hadn't been, he doubted that he would have been rich enough to travel on a boat if he needed to go on one. The others seemed to be giving mixed messages about them, whether or not the swaying of them was good or not. They didn't sound overly fun to him, if he was honest, and he was glad that he was only a tailor's son.

The topic moved back to Isabella's parentage, a seemingly popular discussion this night. Morted had a point. His blade was a simple one. It was made from folded and hardened steel, but aside from that it was really just a regular blade. Isabella was saying that complex or 'magnificent' swords would need an expert, but Nariah doubted that his would fit into either of those categories. She may not be able to repair it up to the standard that it was originally, but Nariah himself couldn't do more than keep it sharp and clean. Despite what she said, her skills would probably be very valuable to the group.

A bell rang throughout the hidden city of the Musketeers, denoting that it was now time for the various agents to go about their tasks, and specifically for the chosen group that their gate and supplies had been prepared for them. The meeting place was known by all, a small garden area that contained enough natural energy for the experts among the Seekers to open gates from one area to another. Those who arrived at the area would find a large cart whose objects had been covered by a tarp, pulled by a well bred horse who was being calmly handled by one of the still in training Musketeers, paying his dues as a stable hand. "The commanders wanted to apologize for not being here to see you off, but we just got news of a Coven of Witch's appearing off to the north, so they let all of the information with me." the acolyte said nervously. "They provided you with a number of trade goods, along with enough gold to purchase yourself a store within the middle ring of the city, they wish you the best of luck on your mission."

The boy gave a deep bow to his senior's and backed away before the gate opened. A powerful energy danced through the air as the work of the Seeker's bore fruit, ripping a hole in reality for instant travel. Such was the result of training and time, the two factors that made Seekers what they were. 

Past the gate was a lush forest on either side of a well traveled road, not paved but kept cleared by the massive amount of foot traffic through the area. It was a well known road that connected Zorim and a number of smaller kingdoms throughout the area. Normally it was kept cleared of monsters by local Hunter groups, and bandits were hard to find during the day due to the occasional guard patrol. 

However today didn't appear to be a normal day, as mere moments after stepping through the gate and having it close a woman's scream burst out from further down the road, thankfully far enough away to have their gate be unnoticed. 

A small traders caravan had been overturned and four men in leather armor and an unarmed man and woman laid dead on the ground, leaving a group of twelve men on horses and equipped with rather nice looking weapons and light armor. They surrounded a still living group of merchants, mostly younger men with a few women and children. 

At the head of the bandits was a handsome raven haired man with various jewels hanging about his neck. "Well look what we have here, trying to go by without paying the road tax eh?" he snorted in a rather undignified way. 

"P-please if its money you want just..." a man had stepped forward, but was shot by a crossbow bolt through the neck, killing him rather quickly. 

"Ooops, well looks like that happened." the leader gave another snort. "Go ahead and kill the rest of the men, I hear the Carnival is paying top dollar for women and children recently, can't disappoint can we?"

The bandits drew closer, weapons ready to strike, all except for one of them, a black cloaked individual who simply looked uninterested in the events before them. 

"No wait," the leader looked over toward the cloaked person. "Why don't you invite your little friends to do them in Hilo?"

The figure lowered its cloak to reveal a man with striking red eyes and sharp features. "Hm, I suppose the children need to feed." the man chanted a few odd words, and portals of dark mana opened around them, summoning dog sized spiders from them. Just from the dark power itself it was obvious that he was a Witch, even without the evil aligned summoned creatures. Overall there were six of the massive spiders, dripping venom on the ground. "Feed and take the excess back home."

The spiders stalked forward as the bandits made room for them. 

Without intervention, tragedy awaited. 

Goals for this posting round

1. Enter Gate and come out other side

2. Hear the scream and quickly investigate. 

3. Either have your character act or go to discussion to pass your turn to the end. 

4. Don't overdo it. This is a target rich environment but don't hog the glory.

5. The strongest member of the group is the Witch Hilo due to his spells, decisions about who takes him can be taken up in the discussion.

6. The enemies and merchants are NPC characters, and thus can be written by multiple people. So you can say 'X bandit does Y' without having to ask for direct input from myself.

7. Any questions can be taken up with me in PM or in the discussion.

Enemy load out

Six of the bandits are armed with iron shortswords, wooden shields, and light armor.

Four of the bandits are armed with repeating crossbows with iron heads and are also dressed in light armor

The leader of the bandits is dressed in thick iron armor and has a great sword at his side. However he appears uncomfortable in it. He is not a great fighter, and in reality is a coward who will try to flee if a battle goes bad. 

Hilo wears a black robe that covers his body and uses spells that summon and control insects to do his biding. He is insane and will sacrafice others for his goals.

The skill level of the bandits is experienced but not skillful. 

The spiders are summons and have a good amount of strength to them, but beyond their size they are ordinary spiders. A good blow will kill them and return them to their home.

Turn Order

@Fenris

@Ignie

@SecretRock

@Fray Dracoheart

@EnkoKasumii

@Faultier

When Maria did finally speak up she lacked any animation, providing a flat introduction before falling silent again. It seemed he would have to depend on the mission to reveal some more about this particular ally. Good thing then that the bell tolled summoning them soon after only allowing for a few more exchanges. Mortred's comment on the other hand drew forth an agreeing nod, before she began to needle Isabela about her heritage in a good willed fashion.

The trip back to the meeting place was brisk, barely allowing Leif to collect a few choice items including a pair of daggers and a flask of potent, strong scented liquor. It was a little disappointing to the brunette that the commanders had not seen them off but upon hearing of the coven his outlook changed. Stepping through a hole in reality seemed only have as hazardous and more manageable.

Taking a moment to examine the provided trade goods he nodded seemingly impressed by the selection though it hardly helped to hide his paling expression when faced with the portal. “With a bit of luck and the creator willing we might stand a chance at earning a pretty penny during our stay in Zorim.” He laughed a little nervously before deciding to take the reins. Leif swung himself aboard the wagon in one motion waiting for any whom rather ride than walk to jump aboard before guiding the horses toward the magical construct. Hopefully none would see him close his eyes and breath a quick prayer as they passed through to the other side...

Magical gates always left him with the sensation of diving through the surface of a pond, with the distinct difference of emerging dry. Once safely on the other side the swordsman visibly relaxed only to jump up when a piercing scream tore through the air. Before their very eyes a scene of slaughter was unfolding.

---[Battle]---

Drawing the large blade with seamless effort Leif stated the obvious with a strained voice. “By the saint, we need to intervene!” The recent density of magic and prospect of inevitable violence were fraying at his discipline. “Nariah, can you keep him in check?” He indicated the cloaked figure as long strides already carried him toward the conflict, wagon left behind with a single bound.

Caught unaware and too slow the bandit hadn't managed to turn his horse in time and the beast took a blow from the flat of the arms masters blade; causing it to rear in shock and toss its startled rider. Yet that hardly slowed Leif as he skirted the group in a run only to barrel into one of the spiders. The scimitar transcribed a wide sweeping arc catching the rearing beast with enough force to cleave it apart though instead the summon just seemed to vanish after the blade had bitten into its flank. Leaving the astonished swordsman to awkwardly pivot.

All around the chaos was increasing as one of the merchants turned and started running, a pair of spiders quick on his heels. Crossbows were raised and swords began to clear their scabbards, the fallen bandit groaning as he recovered from his unfortunate fall. Nervously clutching the hilt of his blade the richly armored figures eyes leaped back and forth indecisive. Only the cloaked figure seemed to give off an air of calm, though perhaps it was just hard to tell beneath that hood.

Now was the time to pack her thing and go. She didn't know for how many time she will be gone, and even if she will come back at all. But if this was the case, then she knew that it was was for the greater good. However, before she departed, she needed to say goodbye to her father. The old man was still worling early, but he always had the time for his girl. He kissed her on the cheek and provided her some advices to take care of her blade. And of course, he said he'll pray the saints and the creators so she could come home safe. 

She promised she will do anything so she will come back home alive. She didn't know if this was the truth, but it seemed to reassure her father.

So now, it was for real, her and the others were leaving to Zorim, definitively. They were going to be on their own, and could soon only count on themselves to survive. However, they did have a fair amount of goods to help them. That was something. Following Leif, she climbed at the back of the wagon and waited for them to go outside. 

When she passed the portal, she felt something... different. She felt that she was outside now, next to her hometown, but already far away from the warmth of her house. However, she didn't regret volunteering for this mission, and she will never regret it. When she thought that the ride outside the city will be calm, the screams echoed throught the air. Well, she was wrong about this.

---

Reflexively, Isabela drew her rapier and jumped out of the wagon, following Leif as he started attacking. "En garde!" She yelled to her opponent, a bandit armed with a crossbow, and attacked without letting the time to the bandit to answer. They were higher in number but they sure were more skilled than them, victory could be easy. She dashed to her ennemy and with the back of her sword, hit the bandit in the stomach, a hit strong enough to cut his breath and makes him fall on the ground. He wasn't dead, but at least, he won't do any harm for the moment. She glanced at what seemed like the leader. He seemed like he wielded a sword for the first time. And he called himself a bandit? Pathetic. 

"This one's useless!" She yelled, pointing at the man, "focus on the others!" She said to their companions. She turned around to see Leif pivot after the spider just vanished. She wanted to rush to help him, but one summon, as well as another bandit focused on her. She was too busy with her own problems to go and help Leif for now. 

The man in the cloak looked like the only one the battle wasn't bothering. He looked like a mage, perhaps Nariah could do something about the summoning and this man while they took care of the bandits.

Nariah looked up as the bell tolled, slightly upset to miss his meal, but it couldn't be helped. Picking up his bag, he swung it over his shoulder, and followed the other two, picking up his sword on the way out of the pub. He attached it to his belt as he walked to the garden. The cart seemed well stocked, though Nariah didn't know how they would get more stock if they needed it. They could possibly find some trading partners if they had to, but hopefully the mission wouldn't take that long. Adjusting his cloak, Nariah waited for the others to arrive after they'd finished their business.

Nariah walked next to the cart as they went through the portal, noting Leif's apparent trepidation about going through the portal. Combined with the fact that he hadn't spoken directly to Nariah at any point, he figured that the man had some problem with magic. Hopefully it wouldn't interfere with them working together. Surely either of them wouldn't have been chosen for this mission if it would, the elders knowing that it would cause problems. Nariah pushed it from his mind and looked around the road around them as they emerged from the portal, feeling energised as only a seeker would after that.

He quickly took in the forests on either side of them. The road was not paved beneath his feet, but everything else seemed very normal compared to what he knew. The normalcy was shattered by a scream and Nariah chased after his comrades, ready for battle. The situation must be dire if they were immediately drawn into a fight. The prince had been right to contact the Musketeers.

----------

Nariah took a second to take stock of the situation: six with swords, four with crossbows, a man with a broadsword, and a witch. None of them seemed pleasant. He glanced at Leif as her indicated the witch, asking him to take care of him. Seeing that his comrades seemed to be handling the bandits and the summons well enough so he agreed that it was the best course of action. He turned his eye to the man in the cloak, the witch, and felt out to the mana around him. There were plenty of options, but Nariah didn't have time to consider them all, instead focusing on one branch of it, or rather, one root.

With a controlled flick of his hands, the ground shook slightly. Long roots flicked up, breaking through the compressed dirt. It ruined the road, of course, but that would be easier to fix than a dozen corpses. The roots curled around, breaking up more of the road, until they were about half the height of the bandits. Some of them panicked, tripping over the now exposed roots and falling onto their backs. Nariah ignored them, leaving the others to deal with them as he focused on keeping the witch occupied. They could deal with the bandits, but too many summons could easily overwhelm them despite their fragility.

Trying to direct the roots at the witch, having them whip at him to keep him distracted as Nariah tried to think of a better way to attack, resisting the urge to keep an eye on his comrades. It would only break his concentration and make it harder to keep the attack up. He needed to trust them to look after themselves. They were at least as competent as him, after all.

Maria sat for a fewe minutes longer then the others saying a silent goodbye to the town she had grown up in, not that she would miss it in any way. She picked up her backpack and sword , Strapping it to her side in its slightly scuffed sheath and takeing her leave. Her sense of direction was not the vest but she was able to find her way to the portal after following some goods traders.

She thought about if she were to return here what would she come back to , she had no family to speak of and no friends that were alive or still in the city. But she promised herself then and there she would come back dead or alive after bringing peace to Zorim.

After stepping through she noticed her companions were no where to be seen but could be heard not to far away. Knowing that they could be in trouble she started a sprint towards the sounds to the north of her location.

-----------

Miria had a quick evaluation of the situation: 12 bandits, 7 close range,  4 long range and a spell caster. She had a silent discussion with herself before quickly drawing her sword and taking the left side on the group standing in their way. She knew her plan was 50/50 on actually working at all but those odds were good enough for her.

She picked out a straggler with a close range weapon she slashed at the man, which was quickly caught and pushed. Miria used this opportunity to her advantage and cut through the air in a different direction. Leaving the man with a deep gash on his left shoulder,  Miria didn't kill her opponents unless it is called for.

Once the man had dropped his sword she held hers tightly at his throat as a silent way of saying  'Stand down or pay with your life'

@EnkoKasumi

Leyna was not a hand to hand fighter. With her musket she could pick off men at a good enough distance, but she preferred not to get in the middle of a bloody battle. Not because she was afraid for her life, but rather because she did not like getting dirty. Bloodstains were so difficult to get out and especially now when they were on the road, she needed to have her uniform clean for as long as possible. As her companions charged into the battle, she stayed behind, careful to take cover behind a boulder on the side of the road. Locked and loaded she scanned the battleground over the nozzle of her weapon. The smell of gunpowder filled her nostrils and it gave her a thrill, a rare feeling for her impassive nature and one she only ever felt before a kill. 

A couple of bandits were already down before she found her target, the whole battleground a huge mess. There were people running everywhere, friendlies and the others not so much. And there were those eight legged creatures that used to make her skin crawl when she was a little girl. But, she was a woman with a purpose now. She aimed at one of the bandits that wielded a crossbow. Those weapons were dangerous if outdated. Before the man could fire another arrow her bullet caught him in the neck and he fell down with a thump. She ducked behind a boulder as a bolt was released in her direction. Reloading the musket with a round led ball she took a deep breath to steady her muscles. Then she was out of her cover again, locating the man who shot at her and bringing him down with a bullet to his chest.

Her attention was caught by that silent woman pinning down a wounded bandit. Really, this was no time for chivalry. Leynia had half a mind to just shoot the man at her feet, the heat of battle now getting to her. But, there was still a fair share of enemies still standing.

@Faultier

"Oh, you didn't expect me, did you?"

The scream of the bandit had been drowned out by the satisfying sound of steel meeting throat in one swift motion, the bandit's form now slowly being reduced to a fountain of gore as his bloodied gurglings turned to silence. The bandit's death, courtesy of Manifold, had been rather noisy enough to attract a few summons to Mortred's position, but she had reacted fast enough to avoid the immediate convergence of the spiders onto her position, returning back up to the safety of the canopy's shade.

Resting a hand on the oak for balance, Mortred couldn't ask for any better of an entry into the battle; she had gathered no attention whatsoever from the bandits, as they were too busy in keeping their cowardly leader away and safe from the charging Master of Arms Leif, Maria, and Isabela. Nariah had proven an excellent counter against the enemy mage, as his own spells had managed to deter the Witch from summoning even more dog-sized spiders from interfering in this fight.

The girl with the musket (whose name had eluded Mortred, for some reason) was busy exchanging bullets for arrows in her own fight. Impressively, she seemed to be winning even when she was outnumbered four to one, taking down two as she barely put in any effort.

The assassin was not to be outdone, however, as a target was brought to her eyes -- the armored leader of the bandits. She had noticed how utterly awkward the leader was with his longsword, the bravado long gone and replaced by unsteady, fidgeting hands that gripped his sword like it was holding a girl's hand on his first date.

Isabela noticed it too, but Mortred knew that it was better to be safe than sorry; it might be an act, a ruse, to give them a false sense of security after all. Procuring a throwing knife she had gotten earlier from her quarters, Mortred swore at the fact that she only felt three knives on her waist. The bell had to ring at the time when I was about to gather my supplies. And she barely had any time to feel suspicious of the unfamilliar route to Zorim too, as a scream had spurred her into action immediately moments ago.

Now here she was, knife in hand, prepared to end the bandit leader's life. She was in the throwing motion, actually, when two red dots appeared at her side. Two became eight, and eight became forty eight.

Mortred had forgotten one little fact; spiders can climb. 

I curse my luck.

Hilo had been acting as a mercenary for hire for as long as his dark magic addled memory could remember, but not once in his memory did he remember such a quick and efficient defeat by such a small group. Each was skilled enough to be considered a Captain of the Guard for the city, making them at least five times stronger then the average killer with a sword or gun. Not to mention a skilled Seeker, whose abilities hampered by sanity as they were could still provide more challenge then he was willing to face without more skilled units hired by the Carnival. "We're leaving." he spoke in a voice that seemed hagered by either age or substance. 

"We outnumber them you old fool, just wait once my men." the sight of three of his men being executed and the terrifying beasts that Hilo had summoned being defeated one by one turned his confidence yellow. "No this isn't right, they aren't human!"

"Hm, next time you want to play do so with slaves, this isn't the kind of fun a soft lordling should engage in." with that said Hilo mass dispelled his summons, letting out mass amounts of smoke as they disappeared to disorientate and confuse his foes. While the smoke hung in the air he called upon his dark magic to summon a variety of  wood eating beetles to clear them a path, followed by ripping a hole in the world with a wave of his hand. Unlike the well practiced and undetectable gate the Seekers had used this one let out a scent of sulfur and other noxious fumes, and even those without magical studies could feel the utter wrongness of what he had just done. Hilo and the leader of the bandits entered into the tear and disappeared, leaving only their panicked forces. 

Those still riding scattered into the woods, those whose feet could still carry them cast their weapons to the side and burst out in dead sprints not wanting to be the next victims of the powerful warriors who had descended so quickly upon them. Some merchants had remained to see if the ones who had came would end up being saviors of simply a different variety of monster, but upon seeing the dead bandits on the ground they had simply thought better of their chances of survival by running. Money could come another day, but their lives were important to them. The dead could be come back for once they had been picked clean, bones escorted to their proper resting places. They say no reason to risk their flesh for that of the departed until the coast was clear.

Thankfully not all was lost in the smoke, as one bandit was still being held by a fast thinking Musketeer, praying to the Creator that he would live to see tomorrow before he had passed out in fear. At the very least he could be questioned later, at most turning him into the guard would be a good first impression for the newly arrived Musketeers. 

However this battle was not won cleanly, as the smoke cleared those who remained saw three new corpses added to the ground, two laid low by bullets and the other cut open to bleed. The blood was not on the hands of the enemy, but of their fellow Musketeers. 

The second law of the Musketeers had been trampled into the ground within the opening moments of combat. There had been no attempt to disarm, or to wound. At the very least it was an insult to the ideology that they had been trained under, at worst it was a show of the true nature of their companions, not brave liberators but blood hungry killers. 

The world will still turn with three more dead men on the ground, but despite that the day grew darker still. 

Amazing first round of combat for everyone involved, due to fast actions and certain tactics you broke the will of the bandits and sent Hilo and the leader running rather then trying to make a fight of it. You can try to hunt down those who scattered, but they didn't retreat as a group, and hunting them down individually will be difficult for all but the Rangers, who might be slowed down by trying to guide their teammates in a hunt. 

But now for less pleasant tidings. I am not using this to pick on anyone, but two deaths have occurred during this combat, against foes who would have been lucky to put up a fight. In a normal fantasy setting this might be fine, but your order is meant to guide people to a better way. How each character reacts is firmly up to the players, but due to such a decision I am going to put a post order for reactions and what will be done after the battle. 

Remember your characters are supposed to be heroes and have trained to be the elite for that fact. 

Turn order

@Fray Dracoheart

@Ignie

@SecretRock

@Fenris

@EnkoKasumi

@Faultier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back