• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Warhammer: The Dragonliche

“One with authority, boy-o.” The Halfling frowned.

“Leave him be, manling.” Khazu waved the portly constable off. “He got a bark and not much else.”

Lorenz glared at Khazu, clearly not satisfied with the dwarfs choice of words used for his description. What was he trying to accomplish by talking up the constable anyway when the man seemed so set on his sentence?

Sighing, Lorenz lied back down on the cot that was slightly too small. He continued to listen in, but his body language clearly stated that he was still pissed off.

The two constables discussed the details on the pairs’ sentence.
This Mr. Birkman owned a cattle farm, and the two would be charged with cleaning out his stables and fenced areas as community service.
In exchange, the charges would be dropped against the two.

Once the papers were signed, the large Halfling departed, and the first one opened the door to Lorenz’s cell.

“Right-o. Off ye pop.”

Lorenz only rolled his eyes as he exitted the cell. "Yeah yeah." He muttered, clearly in annoyance. "Hope to never see ya again."

“You two stay outta trouble now.” The Mootlander chirped with a jolly grin. Clearly he did not grasp Lorenz’s disdain.

The Dwarf stomped after the human, and once the two were outside, a wagon was waiting for them. The driver was another Halfling, but one in farming clothes and a straw hat.

“Huh. They got the ride and everything Eh?” Lorenz commented, leaning over to Khazu. “What’s to say we don’t just bolt right now??”

The Dwarf sighed.
“Much as I disdain this . . . I still have some honor left to uphold.” He shrugged and approached the wagon.
“Debts be owed be paid.” He quoted.

Lorenz sighed, rubbing his forehead in annoyance. God be damned those dwarves and their sense of justice. As much as he’d like to run off, he wasn’t just going to leave Khazu alone. Besides, he was missing most of his tools, and his wagon probably already confiscated. There wasn’t much to do except accept his fate.

“You’re dwarven after all eh?” Lorenz said, bandaged hand already pulling himself into the wagon.
“Can’t believe we’re gonna be wasting our life away doing farm work.”

“Well I got nothing better to do today.” Khazu sat at the edge of the wagon as the ponies began carrying them off.
“The Crow was the last inn in town that would have me coin. Now that’s all gone, so I’ll be leaving after this business is dealt.”
He glanced over.
“What about you? Got somewhere to be, umgi?”

Lorenz thought about it for a second. He really only had one underlying goal at the moment, but no real means of achieving it besides 'finding a job to earn some coin'. It really didn't matter where that coin came from, as long as in the end he had it.

"Nowhere really, just looking for adventure, maybe a quick job for some coin ya know." Lorenz stated, before his eyes seemed to light up for a second. He looked over at Khazu, a bit of a smile on his face. "Say, when this is all over, you mind for some company?"

The Dawi laughed heartily. “You’re not my usual type of companion, manling; but I’m not opposed to a fellow to down some Bugman’s once in a while.”

Lorenz laughed along, his past sour mood seemingly disappointing. "Trust me, I'll be worth your while." He said. "Les jus try our best to not get arrested again yeah?"

“Ahh, come now. Manling laws are too trivial in my eyes.” He laid back into the wagon. “We’ll be fine.”

"I'll second that." Lorenz added with a laugh as he looked out the wagon, watching as it took them off to wherever Mr. Birkman's farm was. "Those guy's don't know how ta have fun."

The wagon took the two out of the painted structures of the Moot’s capital building and out into the rolling hills of Halfling country.
Fences and crop fields passed by as the offered scenery in the light of the morning sun crept over the tree topped horizon.

Lorenz found himself lost in thought as the wagon slowly passed through undulating hills and crop fields. He wondered who this Mr. Birkman was. Probably some stuck up old halfling too crippled to tend to his own farm. The thought of that did put a bit of a smile on his face, as much as he was gonna hate the rest of today. Whoever he was, he mentally prepared himself for whatever laid in front of him.

The wagon came onto a fenced in property that bore flocks of sheep that scattered from the road as they passed.
They all came to a stop in front of a homely house that seemed expensive but not glamorous. In front of the door, a white haired Halfling was counting out coins to the bouncer at the Combed Crow.
The man eyed Lorenz and Khazu upon their arrival, and gestured a goodbye to the old Halfling once his payment was complete.

As the Dwarf climbed down the wagon, the scarred man passed by the two.
“Morning.” He nodded as he headed back into the town.

As Lorenz exited the wagon, he couldn’t help but notice that the white-haired halfling eyeing them almost perfectly fit his original description. Except for maybe the crippled part. He really was some kind of psychic wasn’t he. Maybe If he predicted that this man had a hot daughter then that would also come true? Lorenz tried to convince himself of that.

Besides the man though, Lorenz was thoroughly surprised to see the bouncer from yesterday here. From the exchange happening, it seemed that maybe the scarred man also worked here. Real model citizen this one was, either that or he was just down in the dumps and needed the extra cash. Whatever it was, Lorenz was beginning to think he’d see this man a lot more now.

“Morning.” He repeated, watching the man walk by, before turning back to face who was presumably Mr. Birkman. “You’re Birkman?”

“Aye.” The wrinkled Halfling tugged on his suspenders and approached the two. “And ye be the one what done expelled fluid over me inn and rose garden?” He sneered.

Khazu coughed. “Aye. That were him.”

Lorenz looked at Khazu, clearly slightly in shock by the betrayal. "Me?! I would never" Lorenz said in defence of himself. Although in reality he wasn't sure.

Birkman scowled and looked at Khazu.
“And ye be that Dwarf fellow what got himself barred from every other inn in the village.”

Khazu stroked his beard.
“Khazu Ironbrow, if you please.”

Lorenz was thoroughly shocked, yet also equally impressed. Khazu definitely made a name for himself here. Might not be something to be proud of, but it must still have taken some skill to have every inn in the village hate you.

"Guess we're your farmhands now." Lorenz replied, cracking his back from the long ride. "Excited?"

“Yes you should be.” Mr. Birkman misinterpreted Lorenz’s meaning and pointed to the barn.
“Grab some pitchforks and clean out me stables. Don’t you be naughty now, and try to run out on a hard day’s work. We’ll have the dogs on you faster than fish on hooked cheese.”

"Running? Can't believe you think so lowly of me." Lorenz stated, feigning offence, though he couldn't deny the fact that he had originally considered it an option. Hell if it wasn't for Khazu and the hounds, he would have been pretty sure he would have gone for the option. Especially with the attitude that this Mr. Birkman seemed to be treating the two with.

"Us two selfless volunteers'll make sure yer stables cleaned out in no time." Lorenz added as he started walking towards the barn, half saluting the whiting halfing.

Khazu followed after Lorenz with a casual pace.

“Cheer up, manling.” He said. “Sooner we get started, swifter this will all pass.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back