Music Want an Original Soundtrack Theme for Your Character?

Aramendil

The glory of the Pelethri shall ne'er dull!
So I'm aspiring to be in the business of composing epic music. I also love role playing (especially high fantasy), and know how much music can make a difference for writing.

Give me a detailed description of your character of choice for whom you want a theme, and I'll match it with music. The more emotional depth I can get, the better the score.

I normally charge 100 USD for every minute of music composed, plus 100 USD for mixing and mastering. I can discount for 50 USD, but in this case, I'm doing the music for fun, so no charge necessary.

Here's a demo reel of some of my music to give you an idea of what I'm capable, and I'm not just limited to what you hear there:

www.soundcloud.com/epikmyuzik

If you want to pay me, you're welcome to, but it it's not required. This is a service to all you awesome role players. :)

Aramendil

As opposed to cheap things? Like gunpowder and dynamite? (See what I did there?) ;)

And yes, free. If your charger is the Joker, though... I'm a have a hard time competing with what Hans Zimmer already composed for him. ^^'

Aramendil said:
As opposed to cheap things? Like gunpowder and dynamite? (See what I did there?) ;)
And yes, free. If your charger is the Joker, though... I'm a have a hard time competing with what Hans Zimmer already composed for him. ^^'
Nah, not Joker. I have two I'm torn between, an OC superhero and supervillain...

Well whichever one you choose, give me a detailed description of what they are like. I need to capture (read: savor) all the little emotions... Kay I'll stop with the references. :P

I like Jessica a lot. I'll go with a theme for her. It'll take me just a few days to get it composed, mixed, mastered, and uploaded, but I'll post the link here. 
Ooooor, I could just try to upload it directly here. *sees the "Upload a File" button* ...I'm new here.

Yes. ^_^ Won't be out right away...takes some time to compose, but you'll both have 'em. Tell others in the community about this, too, would ya? I thrive on music. Well, I thrive on creativity, and composing music is my strongest creative outlet, so yeah. ^_^

Pretty awesome stuff! I'm also into music composition, and was wondering what software you use? Also any mixing tips would be good, since that's really my main weakness (and also the fact that my main software is a cheapo iphone app). Cheers! :D

SkyGinge, I compose in Cubase 7, using a combination of EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Cinesamples Drums of War, Cinestrings, and Shreddage II.

Keep plenty of headroom in your main mix volume. If you have to turn that down and apply a maximizer later, that's fine. Or you can control the volume of the individual tracks. Don't use compressors or limiters until AFTER you've finished composing. You don't want clipping, and if you're recording audio, make sure the input gain is at a level where the edges of the waveform don't flatten out when you record something loud.

Hope those are helpful.

Oh and for notation, I use Finale.

Lemme have a look through my roster. I run a lot of games, so they'd be NPCs, but it'd be nice to have a theme for Dragon-Emperor Imperus to make players listen to whenever he shows up.

I think that's all above my primative little app's workings, but thanks anyway xD I do a lot of composition for piano, so I at least now musical structure, chords ect. Nothing like your level, obviously, but it is a nice hobby that I do enjoy :')

Well, for your app, I'd still recommend not clipping. It might be good to figure out how much distance you need to set your recording device away from the piano so it doesn't clip. The less clipping, the better the sound quality. ^_^  
And Grey, sure thing just let me know which one. You folks are gonna keep me busy! :D This is good, I like it. ^_^

It's a little more than that, namely a fully fledged composition thing with various different synthes and such for different sounds and percussion and the like :') So I don't play and record, I programme directly in. And then seperate from that do things on the piano :') But yeah, obviously with being an iphone app and not costing too much in composition/mixing software terms, the general sound quality isn't great, especially when mixing. But cheers for any advice still! I'll consider coming to you if I want a character theme: I'm working on a big project for this site that could definitely benefit from some epic themes!

I'd like a theme! My character if choice is zack: a genetically modified human, crossed with avian DNA. (maximum ride for the win) specifically short-eared owl. For personality, he is kind, caring if friends, nekminit he rips someone's throat out because they threatened the well-being of his friends. If you need any more details, do ask. :D

THE J0KER] [URL="http://www.rpnation.com/threads/blackburn.58847/ said:
http://www.rpnation.com/threads/blackburn.58847/[/URL]
I'll let you pick, good sir. Go ahead a choose a character of mine, and make a theme :D
Here's Shade's theme:

Now to get to the others...this'll take a bit of time, folks, but worry not, you'll have your themes! I need a little time away from the keyboard to get some inspiration, but it won't be long before you all have epic character music. I'll be back at it in a day. ^_^

Aramendil said:
Here's Shade's theme:

Now to get to the others...this'll take a bit of time, folks, but worry not, you'll have your themes! I need a little time away from the keyboard to get some inspiration, but it won't be long before you all have epic character music. I'll be back at it in a day. ^_^
Catchy title, it fits and I love it!

augmentedspartan said:
Could you also do one of mine? They are in the same thread as J0ker's.
For Cain Kenseth, I give you this piece:

Enjoy! ^_^ (This is a placeholder, and not the final product. Unless you like this one the best, I'll have a freshly composed theme ready in the next several days. Sorry for the wait.) 

Grey said:
Lemme have a look through my roster. I run a lot of games, so they'd be NPCs, but it'd be nice to have a theme for Dragon-Emperor Imperus to make players listen to whenever he shows up.
For Dragon-Emperor Imperus, I give you this:

Enjoy! ^_^ I hope your players feel the scope of what they're in for when he comes around. (And just to be sure, this is a placeholder. I didn't want to keep folks waiting too long.)

Last edited by a moderator:
With due respect, aren't both of these pieces things you've already done though? I mean, Shade's piece is from the day before you made this thread, Dragon-Emperor's is from 8 monthes ago and Cain's is from a full year ago. Forgive me if I've completely misunderstood, but wasn't the point to create fresh themes to match up with the characters?

azimuth said:
I'd like a theme! My character if choice is zack: a genetically modified human, crossed with avian DNA. (maximum ride for the win) specifically short-eared owl. For personality, he is kind, caring if friends, nekminit he rips someone's throat out because they threatened the well-being of his friends. If you need any more details, do ask. :D
For Zack, I give you:

Enjoy! ^_^ (Unless you specify, this is just a placeholder) 
When your characters come up in your role plays, I encourage you to copy/paste the link for their music so that the other players can hear them. ^_^ Tell your other role players about this, would ya? I wanna get as many themes out to as many people for their enjoyment. 

SkyGinge said:
With due respect, aren't both of these pieces things you've already done though? I mean, Shade's piece is from the day before you made this thread, Dragon-Emperor's is from 8 monthes ago and Cain's is from a full year ago. Forgive me if I've completely misunderstood, but wasn't the point to create fresh themes to match up with the characters?
I'm still in the process of composing the themes. I admit, I feel bad that it was taking so long, and so I posted placeholders. They can provide good ideas of what to expect, but they're not the final product (unless approved so, such as with Shade's piece). I apologize for the wait and the confusion.

That's fair enough, and honestly I was surprised that you were pumping out tunes so rapidly given how hard it can sometimes be for decent inspiration, not to mention both mixing and programming the music! :') But yeah, you probably should have said that instead of giving people tunes that they think are new and specifically built for them, but are instead recycled. I mean, it doesn't change the fact that they're epic pieces and all, but not being completely honest never does much good :(

Ah well, I'll look forward to the fresh pieces then!

SkyGinge said:
That's fair enough, and honestly I was surprised that you were pumping out tunes so rapidly given how hard it can sometimes be for decent inspiration, not to mention both mixing and programming the music! :') But yeah, you probably should have said that instead of giving people tunes that they think are new and specifically built for them, but are instead recycled. I mean, it doesn't change the fact that they're epic pieces and all, but not being completely honest never does much good :(
Ah well, I'll look forward to the fresh pieces then!
Oh. Well, bearing this in mind, I'd rather have a new theme :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back