Other Using Music as a tool for writing

200%

I will hyper-fixate and listen to a song on repeat while I am writing a post. It helps anchor me in the scene and ideas wash over me.

I have been writing up amazing things with this gem lately.
Hold On Belle Sisoski

I will read something and have it inspire me to rip apart the internet, to hunt down a song I heard in some show I watched 10 years ago because it matches the scene in my mind.

I have heard of people who have Lexical-gustatory synesthesia.

Lexical–gustatory synesthesia is a rare form of synesthesia in which spoken and written language (as well as some colors and emotions) causes individuals to experience an automatic and highly consistent taste/smell. (A member of Mythical Kitchen has it. Funny to have her explain what her co-stars' names taste like.)

Reminds me of how music heightens my emotions and imagination. I will get full-body goosebumps with some songs.

Ohhh, music is magic. I guess it's fitting for a Muse to feel this way about music.

I personally can't write at all when I'm listening to music. I find it far too distracting. White noise backgrounds are the best thing for me to write too. Then again, I've had some awesome inspiration for scenes by listening to music before. I just have to pause it before actually putting pen to paper (metaphorically of course) XD

Music is a really significant part of my creative writing process.

I greatly enjoy videogame OSTs the most: Not only do I usually listen to them throughout the day as I work or relax, but it also helps me in the creative process quite a bit. Videogame soundtracks are great as background music to listen to, giving you a certain vibe or feel without distracting you from what you're doing. When I'm writing, I always like to listen to videogame music that matches the scene or the feel I'm writing.

For example, I have themes that I have associated with certain characters, so I will often listen to that character's "theme" while I write a scene that focuses on them. Or if the setting has any particular atmosphere, like a winter morning, a hot summer afternoon, or a cold rainy day, I'll usually find music that fits that setting, like the theme of an ice level for a snowy day, or a beach level soundtrack if the scene is taking place at the beach, for example. Or if the RP takes place in a small rural town, I get some music that feels appropiate for that, like my favorite Harvest Moon soundtracks. If it's a fighting scene I can use the theme for a boss battle for example, or if it's a sad scene I'll use music that fits that vibe.

So yes, listening to music while I write is something that definitely helps me a lot as I write. I've been doing this for years now and I find it harder to concentrate or feel motivated to write when I'm not listening to something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back