Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

Back on the topic of this thread... (althought I suppose that technically was still on topic)

Shit I've got nothing. I've already expressed basically all my pet peeves.

Oh! I've got one!

I don't like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson rps! It's not that I hate the fandoms or the franchises, in case you haven't noticed Percy's my avatar as of this writing, but they're cursed. They always die, even by the standards of most rps.

you know, here's one

for fantasy and sci-fi, if we just look at the materials provided to work with, fandom rps are usually better than non-fandom. presuming you're not playing something garbo, the amount of reference material and world building present in your source material of choice is probably going to outstrip most gm-original worlds.

now if only every popular fandom wasn't a cursed purgatory

you know, here's one

for fantasy and sci-fi, if we just look at the materials provided to work with, fandom rps are usually better than non-fandom. presuming you're not playing something garbo, the amount of reference material and world building present in your source material of choice is probably going to outstrip most gm-original worlds.

now if only every popular fandom wasn't a cursed purgatory
The same thing applies to mythology based rps.

conversations and physical fighting

I mean I can see maybe arguments lining up. But I do a lot of exposition and just low key dialogue in my roleplays and I’m not sure that tracks.

I guess you could link exposition to teaching other people fighting moves maybe.

But I’m not sure how “So you wanna go get our fortunes read?” “Meh, mom already told me what my future holds.” Into a fight like scenario.

Unless you mean they are both a case of an action and a reaction? Like I do X and my partner responds to X. Then sure I can see that comparison.

Oh! I've got one!

I don't like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson rps! It's not that I hate the fandoms or the franchises, in case you haven't noticed Percy's my avatar as of this writing, but they're cursed. They always die, even by the standards of most rps.
I've had some pretty long Harry Potter rps, but I'll admit it's in the minority

I mean I can see maybe arguments lining up. But I do a lot of exposition and just low key dialogue in my roleplays and I’m not sure that tracks.

I guess you could link exposition to teaching other people fighting moves maybe.

But I’m not sure how “So you wanna go get our fortunes read?” “Meh, mom already told me what my future hold.” Into a fight like scenario.

Unless you mean they are both a case of an action and a reaction? Like I do X and my partner responds to X. Then sure I can see that comparison.
i'll narrow it down to conversation rather than talking, actually. conversation and combat are both, in my way of thinking, just the interaction of two characters to further some goal or another. one just expresses it through the verbal realm, and the other the physical.

Haha! Zing!
Honestly part of my problem with Harry Potter role plays is you pretty much always get this character:
Feisty
Will protect friends but otherwise shy/reserved/polite
Attractive
Usually good at quidditch
Usually a redhead
Almost always a gryffindor
Probably a half blood

Every time someone asks what I'm listening to I have to explain that my playlist consists entirely of video game music and phineas and ferb songs.
Lol, I have to try and explain why I listen to stuff that was mostly produced before I was born.

quick Snape reference, sue me

Lol, I have to try and explain why I listen to stuff that was mostly produced before I was born.

quick Snape reference, sue me
I briefly did that because I'm a Marvel Junkie and enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and GoG Vol. 2 a lot. I eventually got bired, though and returned to video game music. Kirby Planet Robobot has a banging soundtrack.

I briefly did that because I'm a Marvel Junkie and enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and GoG Vol. 2 a lot. I eventually got bired, though and returned to video game music. Kirby Planet Robobot has a banging soundtrack.
Parts of the Borderlands 3 one is pretty good, I loved their "so happy together" trailor but "let me live/let me die" is probably more up your street.

Hey guys, not to be a buzz kill but y'all are getting off topic here. You're more than welcome to start a new thread or discuss via PMs, but I believe it's time the thread was directed back to it's original intent ^^

Okay, weird opinion. "No drama" rules are either unnecessary, hypocritical, or a weird middle mix and never actually necessary. I've never seen a rule like this done well and just as important as the stuff on character creation. Every roleplay I've been in where this is a rule either:

1. Are so tame they never need it at all, or just straight out fizzled out before anything that would cause drama would happen.
  2. Have the rule, yet have a ridiculous amount of it rampant around the community regardless, and never actually put it on the table to make anything cool off, instead choosing to resort to literally anything else to break stuff up. (If this sounds weirdly specific, that's because it's supposed to be. You'd think a community based around such a chill concept as characters from different franchises and original characters crossing over would have more...chill.)

Seriously, for how many things I have seen this used, as a rule, not a single one makes it feel more like an awkward flag hanging above a roleplay announcing "why yes we are supposedly civil mhmm yes" and nothing else. It's kind of an implied thing that most people aren't going to tear into each other with insults the instant one character steps on the toes of another anyways, why even bother?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back