Other Unpopular Opinions

tbh i dont obsess over anime a lot of people do but i dont i just really like japanese culture- tbh i do hate when people like japanese culture and say stuff like "Japan is MVP best country" even though some of those people are the same people who called japanese people dog eaters-?? literally it makes me so mad and thats coming from me a japanese person😭
It's okay to "like." And unhealthy to obsess.

Depends on the anime for sure. Some are definitely intended for kids.
I said "typically geared." Yes, some are definitely made for kids. I've seen some growing up. But many had themes that were difficult for me to understand as a kid. Some had greater emotional depth, this is "not to say that other animated art cannot have this depth.

It's not regular cartoon for kids. While anime can be enjoyed by viewers of all ages, it is typically geared towards a more mature audience and often deals with darker and more serious themes. Cartoons, on the other hand, are typically aimed at younger audiences and often feature light-hearted and humorous themes.
there are a whole slew of non-anime cartoons aimed at adults: Rick and Morty, Archer, King of the Hill, Venture Bros., Family Guy, Futurama, South Park, Beavis and Butthead, etc.

the ones intended for kids are mostly like ones like pokemon or magical girl animes(talking about older magical girl animes like sailor moon,cardcaptor sakura,precure, any magical girl anime except madoka magica,kill la kill,panty and stocking, or magical girl site-) in japan most animes like my hero academia is rated 12 and up but in america they are aimed like 14 and up it does get hard to tell when animes are for kids some animes have really cute art styles but deal with pretty serious topics*looking at you toilet bound hanako kun its rated 12 and up in japan but ofc in america its rated 14 and up i dont understand why sailor moon is rated 14 and up tho-* i know why a lot of people like anime mostly because they deal with serious topics and have interesting art styles and helps you see what it is like kinda in japan and sometimes you can imagine yourself as those characters

I thought my net was slow, and something was wrong, it was not coming up, I typed the responses twice. *Facepalms

I copy pasted that from my first search result ( after reading it of course.)
Yes yes yes, I've seen some anime intended for kids growing up, but many I found difficult to understand. For example, some has greater emotional depth, that is not to say that animated art doesn't have emotional depth.
There are other animated art with mature themes. That's why I said "typically geared."
anyhow, my opinion wasn't that there was and wasn't an alternative. I just don't understand how/why young people at large are so gaga over anime. the art style is blah, the tropes are redundant, and omg the fxxxcking inner monologuing for everything is the worst.

Anyhow, i didn't mean for this to diverge into a full-blown discussion. It really isn't the point of this thread to begin with

anyhow, my opinion wasn't that there was and wasn't an alternative. I just don't understand how/why young people at large are so gaga over anime. the art style is blah, the tropes are redundant, and omg the fxxxcking inner monologuing for everything is the worst.

Anyhow, i didn't mean for this to diverge into a full-blown discussion. It really isn't the point of this thread to begin with
Nah i messed up not knowing that my response was on that next page. I've been MIA from here for so long, and is currently malfunctioning

Audio books are not books. You aren't an avid reader if you aren't actually reading anything.

I can't stand Worm, Invincible or The Boys in any shape or form, if I'm being honest with you. I don't like over the top gorey things.

Audio books are not books. You aren't an avid reader if you aren't actually reading anything.
I think reading is really the act of consuming stories. If a group of friends is sitting around a campfire with one of them reading a book aloud, is only them allowed to say they read and consumed the book? Stories have been passed down orally for thousands of years. I think audiobooks still count as books because either way you’re consuming the content somehow

I think reading is really the act of consuming stories. If a group of friends is sitting around a campfire with one of them reading a book aloud, is only them allowed to say they read and consumed the book? Stories have been passed down orally for thousands of years. I think audiobooks still count as books because either way you’re consuming the content somehow
reading is reading. It's in the word. Telling stories is telling them. You absorb the information different from listening to something than being able to read it and form it in your mind, looking over the words and digesting them (and learning new words and how to spell them, too).

(just about) Everyone can talk and listen. But it takes more effort, and brain power, and imagination (not to mention an education) to sit down and read a book and extract any meaning from the words within it.

i’m not sure how unpopular it actually is, but i am so very tired of eurocentrism in fantasy rps

I only just saw this now, but speaking as someone actually in the library profession I can say with certainty that they are books. It's just a different medium, that's all. It's great for people who visually impaired or dyslexic.

i’m not sure how unpopular it actually is, but i am so very tired of eurocentrism in fantasy rps
So much this. I've had ideas for fantasy settings that deviate from that, but it seems nobody is interested.

100% in agreement. There is so much fun to be had with fantasy in non-eurocentric settings. I'm tired of non-euro settings being relegated to side characters or worse: savage enemies. I think people are missing out on massive amounts of creative fun by not branching into alternate fantasy settings.

Fanfiction is the only reason why Harry Potter thrives today.
Nostalgia as well. That's mainly why I still like it. I grew up with it and it got me through some tough times (I didn't have the best childhood). However, re-reading it as an adult I noticed things I didn't notice as a kid, such as all the plotholes and simply how poorly written it is in general. Not to mention all the lazy worldbuilding that lacks proper research.

Unpopular opinion? I cook for my dog. ^^; I research what I cook and make sure I'm giving him the right portion sizes and give him a vitamin. He almost refuses to eat dog food and he's old.

I actually enjoy English dubbed anime, it's really good for if English is your second language (trying to listen to Japanese while reading English subtitles when your first language is Korean? That's such Hell)

I genuinely can not stand alcohol, it's smell, or it's taste. Even the 'good tasting' drinks have that faint aftertaste, and I hate being drunk or even buzzed. It doesn't relax me, it just slows down my train of thought.

I feel like people should be required to learn how to change their car tires as part of a driving test. It always amazes me how many people simply don't know how to do this. It's not technical, and with the proper tools, it isn't even a strenuous task. Aside from being handicapped, there is no excuse as to why an able-bodied driver can't change their own flat tire.

I think magic is extremely overused and has become a major problem. If all your problems can be solved by magic that's not good writing.

I think magic is extremely overused and has become a major problem. If all your problems can be solved by magic that's not good writing.
Magic is actually a very fun element to incorporate into stories if done well, but I do agree that if all the story's problems are solved with magic then it's poor writing. I sort of like Tolkien's approach to magic tbh. It's there, but it's usually subtle and present in the background. It's never some game changing deus ex machina plot device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back