Other Unpopular Opinions

Ya want a hot take? Huh? An unpopular opinion?

The Big Bang Theory wasn't that bad of a show, you're just too much of a hardass to have any dumb fun. THE BIG BANG THEORY WAS A GOOD SHOW, NO, PERFECT SHOW

hows that for an unpopular opinion?

Law & Order: SVU should have ended after Stabler left the show. Stabler & Benson together was what really made that show work for as long as it did. Law & Order: Criminal Intent should have been the one to continue out of the 3 shows.

Superman is a bad character.

An all powerful being with perfect ethics is almost incapable of true conflict without having to making contrived situations or enemies so powerful they are setting shattering, and when they did make someone that strong and wrote 3 separate comics of just super man and dark-side punching each other harder and harder, people hated it.

He works as a set piece fine, and justice league and such works okay with him in it, however on his own he is weak and has almost been canceled more than once because of his weakness as a character.

He raises ethical questions to where if superman where real he would be a bad person saving people for his own ego while letting others go free on his whims.

I mean it's a badly written hero where I think the villain is objectively correct.(lex luthors point about we need a counter to superman, is fair, if he wanted to he could wipe out or enslave all of humanity, and injustice covers him doing the slave part, not to mention certain types of kryptonite make him evil so it's not like we can trust his ethics, that he won't just decide to destroy the entire planet. Superman is a billion nukes with emotional problems likely to go off and end all human life because the wrong glowing rock got to close.)

The people who say superman is some ethical thing because it was written by two Jewish men after WW2.
Miss a few very critical points, he is quite clearly an ubermesch even having the same (translated) name which was a nazi talking piece.
Also they original made him a homeless criminal experimented upon for his powers and made him a hero because "Heroes sell better" as they said in one interview.

The creation of superman was not some weird ethical emotional expression, it was very capitalist and a rewriting of nazi propaganda, and his time as a comic book has been luke warm at best.

I could go on, but I wont.

Mirgris Mirgris he certainly does not stand up to the test of time well, but neither do a lot of DC heroes. Mostly I would say that with the exception of batman DC heroes are a showcase of cool powers at best.. and complete nonsense at their worse. I can't say marvel is much better, but at least they try to humanize their characters a bit more.

Mirgris Mirgris he certainly does not stand up to the test of time well, but neither do a lot of DC heroes. Mostly I would say that with the exception of batman DC heroes are a showcase of cool powers at best.. and complete nonsense at their worse. I can't say marvel is much better, but at least they try to humanize their characters a bit more.

Superman was almost cancelled more than once because of how poorly it sold even very early on.
The invention of kryptonite was actually to save the comic because no one was buying it because he could never lose.
(Right back into that no meaningful conflict thing)

It's not just the test of time.

...when they did make someone that strong and wrote 3 separate comics of just super man and dark-side punching each other harder and harder, people hated it.

I would argue that most of what fans dislike about stories that are centered around Superman punching/getting punched is that it completely misses what makes the character actually good.

Superman's core appeal isn't that he's an all-powerful demigod who can punch the sun. Superman's appeal is that he's an immigrant hick from Corn Country, Nowhere, who is a good person in spite of said sun-punching.

There are plenty of deconstructions of the superhero that show just how easy it is for a normal person to be tainted and warped by power. Watchmen, Miracle Man, etc. But Superman is the one-in-a-million who isn't. And, frankly, that's interesting as hell, and a story worth telling.

I would argue that most of what people dislike about stories that are centered around Superman punching/getting punched is that it completely misses what makes the character actually good.

Superman's core appeal isn't that he's an all-powerful demigod who can punch the sun. Superman's appeal is that he's an immigrant hick from Corn Country, Nowhere, who is a good person in spite of said sun-punching.

There are plenty of deconstructions of the superhero that show just how easy it is for a normal person to be tainted and warped by power. Watchmen, Miracle Man, etc. But Superman is the one-in-a-million who isn't. And, frankly, that's interesting as hell, and a story worth telling.
Did you really just say Superman it's one in a million for being a superhero who isn't corrupted by power?

almost every single person you would consider a superhero is defined by the exact same trait.

You know the flash Wonder woman cyborg Captain America Supergirl krypto the Superdog.

Clark Kent just being a country boy in the city is a good gag but it's not unique by any means.

And being a superhero with ethics is pretty much the same as being a superhero at all.

Did you really just say Superman it's one in a million for being a superhero who isn't corrupted by power?

[...]

And being a superhero with ethics is pretty much the same as being a superhero at all.

I specifically listed two examples that were god-like analogues (and intentional riffs on the Superman trope), but sure.

Also, ethics wasn't my point. Anyone has ethics, even the villains. The Joker won't work with Nazis, and he's a homicidal maniac. My point was that Superman is, at his core, a Good Person. I would argue that many other heroes, even though they act heroic and do heroic deeds, are not, in fact, Good People. And that's fine. Protagonists don't have to be good people to give an interesting story. I love Hawkman (yeah, yeah, drag me), but Carter is a terrible person. And I would probably punch Hal Jordan in the face, if I had to work with him in a real life setting.

But Superman is just a Large Good Boy, and that's cool, too.

ETA: Since I guess I'm probably already on the road to banhammering, considering the last thread got locked over what I thought was a civil disagreement, I'm just gonna go in for a pound, here. Superman was created in 1938. He's not some retroactive rewrite of a goose-step, but an intentional, contemporary thumbing the nose at the ridiculous gatekeeping concept of perfection. Was there a capitalist element? Of course! Siegel and Shuster had to make money to live. But they didn't have to put Supes on the cover of Action Comics, tearing Panzers to smithereens, nearly so often if they'd just wanted some dough.

If you want to keep going with this, I guess PM me? I feel like this could take up a lot of real estate on the thread real quick.

Last edited:
Miss a few very critical points, he is quite clearly an ubermesch even having the same (translated) name which was a nazi talking piece
I feel like that's a bit of a reach. I mean, Superman doesn't really have much in common with the Nazi idea of the ubermensh (he's not even human, much less aryan).

You might as well claim that he was a rewriting of communist propaganda since he's called the man of steel.

I feel like that's a bit of a reach. I mean, Superman doesn't really have much in common with the Nazi idea of the ubermensh (he's not even human, much less aryan).

You might as well claim that he was a rewriting of communist propaganda since he's called the man of steel.

I mean, the original authors wrote superman in part as a direct response to the ubermensch, it was literally satirical of it, down to the very name.

Instead of transcending christian values, the ubermensh was based on the parable of Moses, (savior of man, sent away by family, sent to spread a message of peace) and took opposite views in spite of being on the cover the same thing.

and to be clear, superman has had a hard on for Nietzsche , for literally forever and constantly.

Lex luthor is quite literally the ubermensh and the bad guy, for he transcends humanity (a number of different times) and is intentionally playing the part, in this way satire/critique of Nietzsche has remained part of superman.

Not only that in the recent man of steel movie the bad guy literally claimed to be the genetic superior and thus in charge as he was transcending humanity.

Like if you know the philosophy and the history the relationship is incredibly close between "Superman (in German) and the Superman (in English) that came out slightly later and featured alot of the same ideas.

Not to be fair, no it isn't very nazi idea more close to the true Nietzsche one. However, I was also relating that to people who try to ascribe virture to superman on basis of when and who he was written by.

Ooblets is better than Pokemon.

I don't think you get used to coffee, as many people say. I drank unhealthy amounts of it for two straight months because caffeine go brrrr but the taste is never good.

Dark tea just tastes way better than coffee in my opinion.

I don't think you get used to coffee, as many people say. I drank unhealthy amounts of it for two straight months because caffeine go brrrr but the taste is never good.

Dark tea just tastes way better than coffee in my opinion.

Eh it really depends on the beans and how you prepare it. A lot of people just like boasting about the bitter charcoal power of a Black Dark Roast and that you're not a real coffee drinker unless you enjoy it that way too. But maybe you're more of a medium or light roast dude (also fun fact dark = less caffeine as the caffeine is burned out in the roasting process) Or you just need the right combination of cream and sweetener. Try different flavor syrups to mix up the flavor. Part of the coffee drinking experience is really finding that right drink blend that fits you and lifts up your day.

Coffee is only good if it tastes like a candy bar. Tea, on the other hand. *chefs kiss*

Let's talk about doughnuts, too. Cream filled is disgusting and detracts from the taste of the dough!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back