Other Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already stated why and I know what "point" they're going to try to make because I've heard it a thousand times already on FB on twitter on numerous other sites. People aren't that hard to figure out nor are their lines of thought generally very original.

If you want to get to the root of why I'm denying them a solid yes or no - it's because I think that argument I know they're about to make is dickish and more damningly a waste of anyone's time so I'm following suit by denying them that satisfying yes or no they want.
Well, it comes off to others as not admitting any semblance of defeat at all. Even if it's a jerk move, you gotta know when to admit that you said something WRONG. Admitting defeat is hard (Even harder when you feel the other person is a jerk), but it's something you can't just put on the sideline because you want to get back at the other person. That seems petty.

Well, it comes off to others as not admitting any semblance of defeat at all. Even if it's a jerk move, you gotta know when to admit that you said something WRONG. Admitting defeat is hard (Even harder when you feel the other person is a jerk), but it's something you can't just put on the sideline because you want to get back at the other person. That seems petty.

Go ahead Daisie, how is my point wrong?

I'm ready and willing to be wrong all the time, how else does one evolve? I just like for my "wrongness" to make sense.

I'm ready and willing to be wrong all the time,
Then why haven't you said yes or no? You seem pretty unwilling to do that.
I'm not trying to argue against your 22% thing. I'm ONLY talking about you saying yes or no. It would be a lot easier if you were just straightforward.

I'm gonna walk away from this though. Any more arguing and the mods will have to take action, and this thread has been so successful so far.

Then why haven't you said yes or no? You seem pretty unwilling to do that.
I'm not trying to argue against your 22% thing. I'm ONLY talking about you saying yes or no. It would be a lot easier if you were just straightforward.

I'm gonna walk away from this though. Any more arguing and the mods will have to take action, and this thread has been so successful so far.

Because I'm not wrong, I've examined the argument from too many points of view and too thoroughly and with too many people to be wrong at this point, but I am, as you pointed out - petty. I have offered for OP to go ahead with whatever point they were making though, which is an opening they chose not to take. So I don't really see the point in you championing their cause when they don't even care to?

i'm no good at math but i don't think ratios/rates are quite equivalent to a percentage? anyone have the downlow on that?

the mods take action in discussion threads? is that a thing on this site?

I've already stated why and I know what "point" they're going to try to make because I've heard it a thousand times already on FB on twitter on numerous other sites. People aren't that hard to figure out nor are their lines of thought generally very original.

People point out your poor reasoning thousands of times on Facebook? You might want to reconsider your positions then.

People point out your poor reasoning thousands of times on Facebook? You might want to reconsider your positions then.
that's... not at all what I said

yeah Daisie Daisie I should definitely give this guy the benefit of the doubt, what with his childish rhetoric and all

1517690038197.jpg

Do you consider yourself a role model of maturity on this topic? I thought I read where you already conceded that you aren't?

Will one of you two just be the bigger person and walk away before the mods close this thread? There is no longer any point to this bickering. Leave it.

Do you consider yourself a role model of maturity on this topic? I thought I read where you already conceded that you aren't?

boy do you have me there

i'd like to point out though that it's not me who's engaging you nor it is me who is trying to derail you using 2nd grader tactics, I've given you a statistic, you've given... like nothing other than trying to morph my statements into a diss? At least I hit better and defended my side.

boy do you have me there
Quite right.

i'd like to point out though that it's not me who's engaging you nor it is me who is trying to derail you using 2nd grader tactics, I've given you a statistic, you've given... like nothing other than trying to morph my statements into a diss? At least I hit better and defended my side.

For a person refusing to accept your own reasoning, as well as being too cowardly to admit hurting aggressors is often required in personal protection, you might want to reassess how well you're defending your side.

Hint - not well at all.

unpopular opinion apparently: it's much easier to make sure your aggressor does not have the means to easily hurt you than it is to keep something like a gun in your home (which is 22 times more likely to hurt you than anything else according to statistics)

unpopular opinion apparently: it's much easier to make sure your aggressor does not have the means to easily hurt you than it is to keep something like a gun in your home (which is 22 times more likely to hurt you than anything else according to statistics)

Your opinion is that it's easier to keep banned items out of the hands of every murderous criminal rather than own a firearm? Yeah, I imagine that is unpopular.

Your opinion is that it's easier to keep banned items out of the hands of every murderous criminal rather than own a firearm? Yeah, I imagine that is unpopular.

i wished i lived in your country where guns were banned cause i hear that really works

rather than in the US where you don't have to do anything but go to a gun show to get a gun

I also find people's irrational fear of these mysterious rampages of home invasions by mysterious murderous criminals hilarious - or the fact that you think a gun would help you in that situation, i mean unless it's literally in your hand and you're expecting an attack it does nothing for you - not to mention the gall it takes to actually pull the trigger

I also find people's irrational fear of these mysterious rampages of home invasions by mysterious murderous criminals hilarious - or the fact that you think a gun would help you in that situation, i mean unless it's literally in your hand and you're expecting an attack it does nothing for you

Irrational fears, huh? Is that kinda like how people irrationally purchase fire or flood insurance for their homes, even though it's unlikely they'll suffer either?

It's almost if, even though it's a relatively rare (depending on where one lives) threat, that the price is too high to pay if it comes. Maybe I should unlock my doors and windows at night. I mean, what are the odds, right?

unpopular opinion: if the odds that you'll be hurt by purchasing a gun are higher than the odds of it protecting you - it's irrational to get a gun

Do those odds, by any chance, factor in suicide? If so, what good are they in this discussion?
because...
suicide...
exists...???????????

I'm not sure where you're going with that. But if a member of the family is going through something and is feeling suicidal and the means of suicide is right there as a quick easy option they're probably gonna go for it and a suicide by gun is pretty final unlike a suicide by pills or something else.

That's like saying accidents don't factor in to the statistic either, accidents happen, you can't guarantee no one will have an accident with the gun and you can't guarantee no one in your household is ever going to feel suicidal.

I don't know about you, but I don't factor in suicide risks into any of my purchases.
yeah

i wouldn't think that you would

cause you seem so careful and thoughtful about your purchases of dangerous firearms i really feel that from you as a person

That's like saying accidents don't factor in to the statistic either, accidents happen, you can't guarantee no one will have an accident with the gun and you can't guarantee no one in your household is ever going to feel suicidal.

No. By definition accidents occur without the benefit of a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back