Universal Combinations - RPers' Coalition

Scottybird Corvus

Avenging Thread God
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, BROTHERS AND SISTERS, COUNTRYMEN AND FOREIGNERS ALIKE!

Today I come to you with a thought I have long wished to see become reality, so now I make it so.

Many of you I have contacted. Many of you may have been contacted by one of them whom I first spoke with. Many of you will have come to me here completely unknowing of what is planned to come. However, all of you will be here with the same intent: to know what it is that I have begun.

*cough*

*cough*

Ehem.

Anyway.

Basically, I've been thinking lately: wouldn't it be cool if we got all of RpN's writers, took their best stories, and shoved them all in to the same universe?

I mean, think about it.

Many of our best games and stories are PERFECTLY compatible. So many times it has been that I have looked between two RP's and said "Hold up. These two would be really nifty if they were joined in the same universe.

Here is my plan:

I go through and contact a variety of members on this site (starting with Fellows, old Moderators, current Moderators, featured Members, most of the Development Advisory team) and have them contact other RPers that they know are good writers. I draw this massive collection of people here, find a way to set up conferences with different groups (the main group will be split into smaller ones depending on the size) and we begin the creation of our pan-RP-universes.

Now, this project is going to be layered if it becomes anything like the size I anticipate it might.

MIGHT.

I could be horribly wrong and nobody likes it, but I think that it just might work out. If it DOES work out, though, then it would be simple enough to make it an official, on-site hosted group. (or maybe not. DUN DUN DUUUUNNNNNN!!!)

The theory is that when each of the smaller groups is pleased with the result (and there may be some RP swaps and switcharoos between groups), then we make a major thread grouping for the RPers' Coalition and set in sub-threads for the description of collection of RP's in that particular universe and the list of RP's and Overviews to be posted in yet another layer of sub-threads.

Please notice that while the Groups function is not up right now, @Mordecai has assured me that it will be up and operational sometime, although Dark Wizard has no clear release date for it

Mind you, even if it isn't an on-site hosted group, we can probably make it an off-site (or outsourced, if you will) group.

Comments? Questions? Concerns? Ask away. Anything you have to say is appreciated. If you would like to join the RPers Coalition, please tag me and announce your allegiance to the group. Thank you all for reading to the end of my obscenely long post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, world building is always fun ^^ we could probably make use of Google Docs and Google sheets to get thing orginized

Skype is fine, or you could use the Team speak. Either way should be fair enough. I've been off my game lately on writing, but I could try to help out in the shadows and see if I can get my muse back. It's really all I need.

@Darth Corvus

Obscenely long post? Maybe I need to look back over some of my old ones, they must not be so long as I thought xD

Yeah, I'm still around, promise; I've just been extremely busy with work most days lately. I think that a project like this could really bear fruit, and while it's been a little while since I've gotten to do any roleplaying, I'd love to help out with the world build if I get a chance.

You know Heart, We could always get a Swarm feel going on up in here. It's the one RP that I would love to see be taken some where :P

I could probably shuffle around my 157 hours of Warframe logged in the past week busy schedule to pull up some of my ideas and characters and such

I would also love to see a progression of sorts in some RP's. Not that this has to be the one, but I've had idea's in the past about potential ways of making characters start out weak and get stronger as the RP goes on so that there needs to be some thought and effort put in before you can really do anything. This would Do a few things for the RP (or RPs)

1) People would not come in and just post 1 liners. This is not to say that 1 Liners are BAD, but if you are wanting to put as much work into this as you say you are, then I assume we want more detail than most 1 lines can give.

2) When you are putting this much detai and work into an RP, you would usually feel more compelled to stick with the RP, and not vanish after a few posts.

3) there would be no way to God Mod right off the bat, if at all. With a weak starting character, you are limited to something like basic weapons/equipment and have a hard time fighting most things that could potentially offer even a little bit of a threat.

Doesn't everything look big on an iPod? =P

A lot of us have had some successful, or interesting roleplays in the past, and Swarm was certainly among them, but before we rush into pulling our old favourites back into the light, I think we might want to discuss where, a little more precisely, we want to go with this. No offense meant by that Ryn.

What I mean to say is just that, until we know our general theme and genre, we might not all want to get our hopes up to bring back each of our old favourites, just because they might not all work together.

I know that I would love to finally haul Evolution of Anarchy out to see some time in the spotlight, but it's so fleshed out that I'm not sure we could do much combining with it.

So before we get into specifics, what sort of roleplay are we going to be making?

I have a similar concept going with Blood and Glory @Rynmaru . People have stuck around because they helped build out the world. Best way to kinda limit powers is to define what your abilities can and cant do, then have some sort of draw back. It's worked out for me so far.

I love world building and would love to help out with all that.

As for Type of RP.... best I can suggest is a sandbox style RP. People have a sense of freedom and then there are major arcs or story lines they can follow.

Tricky part is universe because there going to be multiple genras? Fantasy, Futuristic, Modern. I'm sure some of us have a few beloved Fandom. Perhaps instead of everything in one universe there are multiverse? Ways to travel back and forth.

Agreed on both front and offense taken. Just Reminiscing about the past :D

And you know, Shura could be on to something about the Sandbox and world building. We should let the Rpers make their own places and then go from there, with defined settings (like the universe/world/abilities/etc.) and see what can be made from it.

For example, if we did use the swarm, we would say something like "You are all a part of the first shuttle to land on this new world, and this is what you can and can not do right now."

There will obviously be more to it than that, but I almost feel like setting up EXACTLY where they live and how they live has been done so many time before (You are students in a dorm of monsters, and you will get along with each other... Get the point? >.> ;)

I've always felt pretty strongly that Sandbox was the way to go with roleplays, and one on this scale would have to be if we want to pay any mind to all of the things we want to do.

I think Fandom might be a little bit out of the picture unless we take the multiverse approach. Modern might also pen us in a little bit too much for the number of different ideas we've got on our hands, unless it were a fragment of the universe. I think the best shot we'd have, would either be with Fantasy, Science Fiction, or even Uncategorized. Fantasy worlds pretty regularly broach the concept of multiple planes of reality, which would give us plenty of wiggle room. On the other hand, Science Fiction normally takes part across solar systems, galaxies, or even the entire universe, though they're also no stranger to time travel, or alternate dimensions.

I think the questions we've got to answer right now are:

Do we want to make a new universe collaboratively, or combine the universes we've already built?

Also, which genre should we be aiming for?

Well everything as some element of Fantasy to it. but if going by the sites definition of "genre" Its based on the setting. Historic/ custom world - modern/ish - futuristic.

If we're using out old worlds perhaps a multiverse scenario may be the best approach. It could be fun trying to tie threads into each other words and help flesh them out.

Hang on a moment as I get my response to this idea ready.

The idea is not necessarily to have one set genera per universe. Allow me to outline a bit of what I see happening:

We make the main group to host the thread groupings.

As we take the larger group that has gathered and split them into smaller ones based on number, not genera. See, a Sci-Fi game and a Fantasy game can be PERFECTLY compatible. They don't have to be on the same world, for pity's sake. The goal is to make a universe that hosts EACH of the worlds, and they probably don't even know of each other's existences. The purpose of it all is to allow for some game merging if GM's agree to it, to make it possible for plausible character migration from one game to another, and even for cameos to other games that now have a legitimate connection. Some games won't be compatible in the universe they are initially put in, so we transfer them to a different universe in which they DO make sense.

In the sub-groups we post the overview for the whole universe (each will be unique, so they should have different overviews) and list the RP's that are involved.

After that, we make another sub-thread series for the individual RP's overviews and links to the official RP.

Think of it like a bunch of guilds for the RP's, not the RPers.

We will probably end up having a center "world" in which we can enjoy crossing our characters and ideas freely, like an OOC for the collection of games.

Alright, I guess I misunderstood this a bit at first, but let's see if I've got it straight now.

We're going to merge multiple roleplay universes, into multiple universes? That sounds almost wrong the way I worded it.

As an example let's say, we could combine the world that Swarm takes place in with other Science Fictions, such as Winds of Change, and Fantasy roleplays like Eldor and Grandos?

Then find some way to potentially bridge the gap between each of these universes?

Basically using the old group system, or the forum roleplay system to divide the greater whole into groupings, which hold a handful of compatible roleplays, and subgroupings, which are where each of the roleplays are played out (With two, or three worlds crossed over into one that is)?

Then we can make a sort of "Hub" world, where anyone's characters can basically goof off with filler or fluff posts. I might have this last bit misunderstood, but I think that as I've described it, it could be a lot of fun, letting people settle "My character would win" debates, or even just have conversations across genres or universes.

Would you say that I've got the gist of it?

[QUOTE="Darth Corvus]we can probably make it an off-site (or outsourced, if you will) group.

[/QUOTE]
You aren't allowed to use site resources to advertise off site groups :P .

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]You aren't allowed to use site resources to advertise off site groups :P .

[/QUOTE]
You seem to think that I would actively advertise it here. I know the rules, DWiz.

Heartsteal said:
Alright, I guess I misunderstood this a bit at first, but let's see if I've got it straight now.
We're going to merge multiple roleplay universes, into multiple universes? That sounds almost wrong the way I worded it.

As an example let's say, we could combine the world that Swarm takes place in with other Science Fictions, such as Winds of Change, and Fantasy roleplays like Eldor and Grandos?

Then find some way to potentially bridge the gap between each of these universes?

Basically using the old group system, or the forum roleplay system to divide the greater whole into groupings, which hold a handful of compatible roleplays, and subgroupings, which are where each of the roleplays are played out (With two, or three worlds crossed over into one that is)?

Then we can make a sort of "Hub" world, where anyone's characters can basically goof off with filler or fluff posts. I might have this last bit misunderstood, but I think that as I've described it, it could be a lot of fun, letting people settle "My character would win" debates, or even just have conversations across genres or universes.

Would you say that I've got the gist of it?
Yup. That looks pretty close to what I was saying.

And Wiz, I believe the idea was simply to take the group to Google docs or something to flech out the details, and then bring it back when it is ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back