Video Games Underrated games.

FlyingDemon

Inspired by "overrated games", this time it's the opposite, what do you think is the game/games that have no popularity? the ones that exist but nobody talks about them?

this thread is there to make discover your forgotten treasures, or to discover others on behalf of people.

Good talk, and please, stay civil to each-other.

Edit: one or two pictures per posts, it's hard to keep a track when there is a lot of images..

One of my gems is, of course, Teslagrad.
packshot-f25ba97d0e2ba9b59aea217925ba9427.jpg

even if most people love indie games, this game is one of those we talk about once and forget, the game is a mixture between platform and puzzle, we play a child of an unknown name who must solve the mysteries of the tower, all, using a kind of magnetic glove to help him progress (along with some other items),

there's no real dialogue, but the music is still beautiful.

What about you, people?

Last edited:
If you ask me, I think Spec Ops: The Line by far the most underrated game I have ever played.

maxresdefault.jpg

A psychological horror game about the horrors of war and deconstruction of the modern shooter genre disguised as a generic, run-of-the-mill third person shooter. Brilliant writing, excellent visuals, amazing voice acting. Also all the tiny details you only notice after completing the game and playing through it the second time, subtle hints to Walker's growing insanity. The game is basically just one big middle finger to popular shooters such as CoD in which the elite special forces soldier protagonist goes to some Middle Eastern country and shoots a bunch of terrorists and saves the day, showing what would really happen if you try to be a hero: you can't. You basically fuck up the city you were trying to save and pretty much doom its inhabitants to slow, agonising deaths by dehydration.

You spend a majority of the game fighting American soldiers and not generic Middle Eastern terrorists. The totally evil bad guy who's been taunting you over the radio and trying to kill you isn't even doing any of those things, because he's dead. He killed himself before Walker and his teammates even arrived in Dubai, and the Konrad we see in the game is simply a result of Walker's insane hallucinations, since he needed someone to blame for his own actions. Nobody saw the plot twist coming unless you paid very close attention to the surrounding environment and take note of the subtle hints such as Konrad's face on billboards or wildlife that shouldn't be in Dubai.

Overall, the game not only criticises Walker for trying to be a hero, but the player as well, that trying to be a hero has only caused more death and destruction than before. So,

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Overrated would probably be Undertale or Doki Doki Literature Club, because come on, I'm sure you all know why.

If you ask me, I think Spec Ops: The Line by far the most underrated game I have ever played.

maxresdefault.jpg

A psychological horror game about the horrors of war and deconstruction of the modern shooter genre disguised as a generic, run-of-the-mill third person shooter. Brilliant writing, excellent visuals, amazing voice acting. Also all the tiny details you only notice after completing the game and playing through it the second time, subtle hints to Walker's growing insanity. The game is basically just one big middle finger to popular shooters such as CoD in which the elite special forces soldier protagonist goes to some Middle Eastern country and shoots a bunch of terrorists and saves the day, showing what would really happen if you try to be a hero: you can't. You basically fuck up the city you were trying to save and pretty much doom its inhabitants to slow, agonising deaths by dehydration.

You spend a majority of the game fighting American soldiers and not generic Middle Eastern terrorists. The totally evil bad guy who's been taunting you over the radio and trying to kill you isn't even doing any of those things, because he's dead. He killed himself before Walker and his teammates even arrived in Dubai, and the Konrad we see in the game is simply a result of Walker's insane hallucinations, since he needed someone to blame for his own actions. Nobody saw the plot twist coming unless you paid very close attention to the surrounding environment and take note of the subtle hints such as Konrad's face on billboards or wildlife that shouldn't be in Dubai.

Overall, the game not only criticises Walker for trying to be a hero, but the player as well, that trying to be a hero has only caused more death and destruction than before. So,

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Overrated would probably be Undertale or Doki Doki Literature Club, because come on, I'm sure you all know why.

Yeah i know why, they are overpopular for reasons i ignore, Undertale is just a randomn 8-bit style game, i tried to watch gameplay on it, but... can't get into it all,

the second game will be Guacamelee:
251000-Review-Guacamelee-890x401.jpg

it's a fight game, with a little gameplay anyway! if you like games with the theme of the dios de la muerta (feast of the dead), you'll be delighted,
just like Teslagrad, I saw it on my PSN, the game has a cartoon style, and yet, it makes it good,
there again, i haven't seen anyone talk about it (except some media, and a youtuber),
it's a little unknown or not popular game, but it's really dynamic and full of references to other games.

Last edited:
Three words, my friend

Need for Madness
ced.gif

It's a uniquely styled arcade racer that is absolutely free and can run well on just about any machine you can throw at it. On each track, you have a choice: Race or Waste. Be a good boy and win fair by passing through all the checkpoints, or get a bit naughty and smash your competition to bits to become the last man standing. And did I mention you need to be constantly performing stunts, or else you slow to a crawl, all while the track designs throw all sorts of loops into your quest for victory.

And that fucking music man.

Just listen to those beautiful module melodies

60E0BAA7-FD22-4E0F-A2B0-81C940EC3258.jpeg36453DDE-7122-4733-BC8B-F1A21C3DBAA6.jpeg30A59CD9-C4F1-448E-9899-3ED66D8E5F15.jpeg75BBCE62-A3BA-42C4-9E60-54B015B8A7FB.jpegBE47521B-B71A-411C-8692-0BDA10A726F0.jpeg5952C1D6-0008-4473-BFD7-03D8182BE72A.jpeg94D0C006-D690-4085-AB44-C845142269B5.jpeg9F52BB56-F09E-4F71-9B07-A060C74FC467.jpeg
Conker’s bad fur day.

Attachments

• 88EFA525-F734-41CF-B267-CBC25288CB08.jpeg
    88EFA525-F734-41CF-B267-CBC25288CB08.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
Explain why, if you would.
It’s a platforming game with all the charm rare is known for,
a funny story that makes references that still hold up today,
Had three save files without a rumblepack or any other added thing to buy (SouthPark on the 64 needed one for example)

And the multiplayer had various modes that were all good fun.

They remade it for xbox adding changes to the story which was decent, but they scrapped all those multiplayer modes for a generic “war” game where you pick classes.

Bad fur day on the 64 is a game all should have a go of at least three times.

It’s a platforming game with all the charm rare is known for,
a funny story that makes references that still hold up today,
Had three save files without a rumblepack or any other added thing to buy (SouthPark on the 64 needed one for example)

And the multiplayer had various modes that were all good fun.

They remade it for xbox adding changes to the story which was decent, but they scrapped all those multiplayer modes for a generic “war” game where you pick classes.

Bad fur day on the 64 is a game all should have a go of at least three times.

Isn't it a popular game? i saw that a lot on some sites, plus there is a remaster of it.

Isn't it a popular game? i saw that a lot on some sites.
I’d say it is, but a lot of 64 games are underrated,

the big names everyone knows about being goldeneye (was shit to me)
Mario kart, mario 64, banjo kazooie...

It’s not like conker had the same mainstream appeal as it was targeted at a 18+ audience

I’d say it is, but a lot of 64 games are underrated,

the big names everyone knows about being goldeneye (was shit to me)
Mario kart, mario 64, banjo kazooie...

It’s not like conker had the same mainstream appeal as it was targeted at a 18+ audience
Banjo and Kazooie is a very good reference, i haven't seen that that much, i played to Conker once, that was enjoyable.
i've heard about "Conker reunion" but that was abandonned, i think?

Edit:
ghhup20f.jpg
Ghosthunter for PS2 is a very little mentioned game on the internet, it is a game in which we play Lazarus Jones, a policeman who will witness paranormal phenomena,

he is accompanied by Astral, the game's only friendly ghost, and an arsenal of weapons and equipment.
but also helped by an artificial intelligence that transmits his knowledge of ghosts.

Last edited:
Maybe this game isn't as underrated as others, but from the production team that made it and the resulting exposure, it still feels quite underrated IMO.

2190.jpg

SOMA. Made by Frictional Games - you know, the same studio that's hailed for their game Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which revolutionized survival horror games. For some reason, SOMA didn't get the same treatment, though I'd argue it's in most cases better than its predecessor.

I think some people were let down that SOMA was not like Amnesia in terms of its main horror focus. Amnesia was the epitome of run-and-hide, and had terrifying atmosphere + monster designs. While Amnesia was focused on the terror of what goes bump in the dark, SOMA took on the existential horror of what it means to be human, and at points manipulated game mechanics to dial up the meaning of it all.

Being a person that loves to play horror games, SOMA was a unique experience in that the monsters were less scary than the psychological aspect. Not only that, but Frictional Games also played on my terror of the deep sea, so it got a 10/10 for me. I should also add that it's worldbuilding is entirely done through logs, notes, and dialogue. The voice acting is realistic without being overly dramatic. Even if you don't like horror games, it'd be a good game to watch somebody else play because the actual moments of extreme suspense are relatively short compared to world exploration.

tl;dr SOMA is an excellent psychological horror game and it deserved better than 'ugugu spooky monster'

Maybe this game isn't as underrated as others, but from the production team that made it and the resulting exposure, it still feels quite underrated IMO.

2190.jpg

SOMA. Made by Frictional Games - you know, the same studio that's hailed for their game Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which revolutionized survival horror games. For some reason, SOMA didn't get the same treatment, though I'd argue it's in most cases better than its predecessor.

I think some people were let down that SOMA was not like Amnesia in terms of its main horror focus. Amnesia was the epitome of run-and-hide, and had terrifying atmosphere + monster designs. While Amnesia was focused on the terror of what goes bump in the dark, SOMA took on the existential horror of what it means to be human, and at points manipulated game mechanics to dial up the meaning of it all.

Being a person that loves to play horror games, SOMA was a unique experience in that the monsters were less scary than the psychological aspect. Not only that, but Frictional Games also played on my terror of the deep sea, so it got a 10/10 for me. I should also add that it's worldbuilding is entirely done through logs, notes, and dialogue. The voice acting is realistic without being overly dramatic. Even if you don't like horror games, it'd be a good game to watch somebody else play because the actual moments of extreme suspense are relatively short compared to world exploration.

tl;dr SOMA is an excellent psychological horror game and it deserved better than 'ugugu spooky monster'
It's a game i've never heard of, so it's acceptable, maybe other people didn't know it at all,
i'm not into computer games, so that could explain it.

exemple 3: Tearaway.
jaquette-tearaway-playstation-vita-cover-avant-g-1371546632.jpg

Tearaway (2012) is a bit like Paper Mario, except it's even prettier and more enchanting, the goal is to play Atoi or Iota, the two living letters want to give us an invitation to their world.

the game is frankly splendid, the music is magnificent, the story is adorable and fascinating.

Last edited:
header.jpg
Year Walk is a puzzle/ horror game that I fell in love with back in 2013. It has an enthralling story as well as beautiful graphics and an amazing lore to follow. Definitely with checking out if you're up for it.
download.jpegimages.jpegmaxresdefault.jpg

Axiom Verge. Dunno how popular it is, but it feels like a more hidden gem to me- I think. I always thought that people didn't play it too much, considering the lack of talking I hear about it, at least.

It's basically an old school Metroid done in modern times. Played really well.

Axiom Verge. Dunno how popular it is, but it feels like a more hidden gem to me- I think. I always thought that people didn't play it too much, considering the lack of talking I hear about it, at least.

It's basically an old school Metroid done in modern times. Played really well.
That's weird, i've never heard of it before, it's like Metroid?

Hoo boy. It's a grand game. And as a video once said...

"It's the closest thing to Metroid since Metroid itself."

I must watch it, i'm sure it's a game that worth a watch too,

also, i forgot a game, Grabbed by the goulies,
the less known and successfull rare game, for many reasons, i like this one even more, it's fun to play, and worth a test from the cell-shading lovers.

Last edited:
I love me some dot hack and even though it has its flaws, I think it was so ahead of its time. I may not love GU as much but I'd kill for a new series.

group1-a6c59.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back