Types of role plays and things role players do that annoy you

One thing I hate the most: people who don't try.

Okay, I have nothing really against them, it's just how the majority of them roleplay that bothers me to no end.

Including to the one-liner and god-mod situation, those in which I loathe deeply, these newcomers can never seem to make even decent reactions to certain situations. Just the way the act in general seems highly implausible, and emotions are severely lacking. Come on guys, your characters are not robots (okay maybe some?), they are actual human beings with reactions that aren't going to be a straight face at a murder or something of the sort.

This just irks me beyond words, and it isn't that difficult to make some sort of relative emotion.

"Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?" ~ Gerard Way

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE: 2001— FOREVER

Last edited by a moderator:
PlaguedWithInsanity said:
One thing I hate the most: Noobs/Newbs/Newbies.
Okay, I have nothing really against them, it's just how the majority of them roleplay that bothers me to no end.

Including to the one-liner and god-mod situation, those in which I loathe deeply, these newcomers can never seem to make even decent reactions to certain situations. Just the way the act in general seems highly implausible, and emotions are severely lacking. Come on guys, your characters are not robots (okay maybe some?), they are actual human beings with reactions that aren't going to be a straight face at a murder or something of the sort.

This just irks me beyond words, and it isn't that difficult to make some sort of relative emotion.

"Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?" ~ Gerard Way

This also bothers me, but it has nothing to do with whether you're new or not.

It's about how much the roleplayer cares, honestly, and I've seen many a newcomer roleplay spectacularly just as I've seen many an old member completely disregard roleplaying expectations and etiquette.

I sure hope no new members feel offended reading your post and decide to take their talents elsewhere.

But yes, lack of reaction is always off-putting.

Back on topic! Stuff in Rps that bother me? Is fairly minimal, I'm not bothered by one liners or anything of that sort. Admittedly sometimes I might write a one or two liner in a collab post because its all thats needed in a conversation for instance.

Pointless Fluff? That does bug me. I guess ut really does depend on a persons writing style and what's going on at the moment. I don't feel the need to write, nor do I want to read, about how crystal clear the sky is and how pretty the grass smells when there is a battle going on or an in depth conversation. xD Characters thought? I'm okay with, Emotions, personal struggles? Sure because it builds on a character but overly descriptive posts on the surrounding? Not so much ^^" Again thats more of a personal gripe.

Fandom RPs? I like them pending on whats going on. If people are playing the actual cannon characters? I'll pass. It's a hard balance to strike between cannon and still being creative and fun. I'm running a Legend of Zelda RP now and just setting the rules for character creation took over a day.

Other thing that really bugs me is when people go off tangent in an RP. The plot is going in one direction but theres those one or two people who are like "I'm gonna do my own thing!!!" -_- " that or the overly romantic couple in a combat based RP.

Above all else though? People who disappear from an RP completely who are involved in the plot or just holding a bunch of players in general. And they don't even bother saying anything as to when they can post. It slows down an RP and often times ends up killing it cause everyone is waiting on one or two people.

[QUOTE="Flintlock Timber]Whilst I don't necessarily hate fandom RPs, I dislike them nonetheless. Sure, they allow roleplayers to sport a Kirby T-Shirt, emblazoned on the left breast a 'cute and adorable' face, and kick arse, but I don't find them to be all that original. I definitely don't see myself participating in fandom roleplays any time soon.

[/QUOTE]
I think Shura beat me to the punch a little above, but yeah, from my experiances, fandom RPs can go one of two ways. The way you'd probably most associate them with it what you've taken a disliking to above; people taking canon characters, or a couple of over-glorified fan characters, and schmaltzing around in a familiar environment. However, there's also some advantages to Fandom RP. For one, all players involved already have a vague sense of the world and lore. Familiarity can breed innovation; people know the mechanics of the story, hence they can mess around with them and take them in different ways.

The example in case is an RP I always look back on fondly and reference in these kind of things, one of the first RP's I ever participated in, about three years ago. It was on this smaller gaming forum thing which had a largely young audience, so post quality was understandably not that great. However, there was some great ideas in there. It was a pokemon RP where you played as pokemon, but it was also a kind of kingdoms based RP. It started off as a standard fare, until one certain RPer joined; this guy was a lot more detailed, had a lot of ideas about what he wanted to do, and (seeing as it was kind of freeform), implemented a ton of interesting sub-plot and backstory. Suddenly literally everybody is doing the same, and we ended up with this really fun, really enthusiastic RP which was a lot more detailed than it started off as. And because we all knew the general context, we were free to focus instead on pure character stuff.

Looking back, that's not the greatest of examples (he says, undermining himself as all great arguers do (not)), but generally, Detailed level Fandom RPs are generally quite good. Obviously, you're free to your own opinions and preferences, but just wanted to throw this out there.

Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with Shura (which is perhaps to be expected as we do often find ourselves participating in the same things). The latter bit especially frustrates me. I know life is unpredictable, but I always stress in my rules to keep me informed, and to not sign up if you don't think you can handle the commitment. Cue slowdown and RP death, which has happened so many times now (though I will account for some of the blame on the accounts of my GMing not always being the best).

Most of the stuff mentioned elsewhere here I thankfully haven't encountered, as I tend to be rather picky when it comes to choosing RPs. The only things I would add would be as follows:

• When people format their posts (or rather don't) in such a way that it detracts from people actually being able to read them properly. I've seen this coupled before with particularly intricate writing styles, and it's a bit of a nightmare to keep up with, made all the more a shame by the fact that the content is actually good behind its ugly mask.
  • When people say 'I don't know what to write' when you've provided either some very obvious things to reply to, literally provided a guide which always tells people what they should be doing, or when it's an Rp where I (or the GM) have stressed is very intensive on individual creativity and contribution and they expect to be handfed plot and ideas. It's lazy almost to the extent of becoming rude.
  • This is just a general etiquette matter, but the only thing that really boils my blood is people being arrogant. Not characters, obviously, but the people themselves.

I don't like people who purposefully start their character off so far away from the action that it ends up fracturing the RP. Keep the players in a group, c'mon. Otherwise it gets confusing and muddled.

My biggest pet peeve is when other roleplayers don't give you anything to respond to. How am I supposed to keep the plot going when all your character does is nod and go back to what they're doing without providing any real opening for a response?

I also hate the angsty, "special and unique" characters with a sob story that's usually romanticized. When done right, this can prove to be a good character, but it's usually not done right.

I hate it when your whispering something to someone right next to you, and somebody 10 feet away mentions it. Or if you're character thinks of something. And somebody else's character suddenly reads their mind and knows it.

For the cat is a cat, who is a cat, and does things.... Catty.

More than anything else I'm just tired of people creating topics only to almost immediately decide they're bored after it begins and abandon it without a word. It's kind of rude toward the ones who were excited for it. If you have a busy schedule and stuff that's fine. Life should always take priority. Gotta take care of yourself before anything else. If that's the case though, maybe one should be a bit more selective in what they choose to pursue instead of throwing every single idea they have at a wall only for one out of twelve to stick.

I want to know who the first person to put Personality as a part of character sheets was. Like, what the hell is it doing there? You wan't me to fit a persons entire personality into a character sheet? People aren't just Funny, kind, and caring. EVERYONE is funny, kind, and caring at some point. I especially hate it when people say it adds to character development, in my opinion it doesn't. But writing your character's personality in that paragraph or two, you have just made your character's entire personality into a mold from that one paragraph.

KillGill said:
I want to know who the first person to put Personality as a part of character sheets was. Like, what the hell is it doing there? You wan't me to fit a persons entire personality into a character sheet? People aren't just Funny, kind, and caring. EVERYONE is funny, kind, and caring at some point. I especially hate it when people say it adds to character development, in my opinion it doesn't. But writing your character's personality in that paragraph or two, you have just made your character's entire personality into a mold from that one paragraph.
It depends on the player whether or not this works. Rather than being about character development, it may be used as a reference for the player during RP, so that their character's behavior and thoughts are consistent. I've experienced many times in which a player never thought out their character's personality very well, and they instead did or said things that were grossly inconsistent, provided it gave them an upper edge. Personality can be used as an anchor to prevent meta-gaming in that sense. That's not to say that it can't change, but it does take time... and a major, life-changing event.

Same goes for character history. Having thought out the "why" and "how" a character gains their skills and flaws indicates reasonable/logical thinking on the part of the player. It also helps prevent accusations of cheesing (pulling IC skills out of thin air when it suits the needs of the plot) and meta-gaming. If physics are meant to be at least semi-realistic, it also prevents players from having a "swordmaster" at the age of 15, because they have to consider when and how the character learned his/her skills, and somehow fit it in with other events coloring the character's busy history. As with personality, it's all about consistency.

KillGill said:
I've made this exact point before in another thread. Unlike character history or writing sample, personality doesn't give me anything (that I want) even when it's completed by a strong writer. It's always the player telling me how to interpret their character. "John is brave. John is stoic. John takes time to make friends, but when he does he's fiercely loyal..."

Maybe they sprinkle in fears, psychological traumas, or insecurities. But even those additions don't matter to me outside of the narrative. And of course if they're inside the narrative, then I don't need them listed (boringly) on the character sheet.

It will take no more than three quality IC posts for me as reader to determine if your character is: brave, a coward, an introvert or extrovert, secretive, mentally unbalanced, cruel, family oriented, loving, ect. And anything written in the narrative, for me at least, trumps anything in the personality section. Besides, I'd rather be shown than told.

Bone2pick said:
I've made this exact point before in another thread. Unlike character history or writing sample, personality doesn't give me anything (that I want) even when it's completed by a strong writer. It's always the player telling me how to interpret their character. "John is brave. John is stoic. John takes time to make friends, but when he does he's fiercely loyal..."
Maybe they sprinkle in fears, psychological traumas, or insecurities. But even those additions don't matter to me outside of the narrative. And of course if they're inside the narrative, then I don't need them listed (boringly) on the character sheet.

It will take no more than three quality IC post for me as reader to determine if your character is: brave, a coward, an introvert or extrovert, secretive, mentally unbalanced, cruel, family oriented, loving, ect. And anything written in the narrative, for me at least, trumps anything in the personality section. Besides, I'd rather be shown than told.
That's quite an interesting way of looking at things, something I haven't really considered before. For me personally, making character sheets is one of my favourite bits about RP, so I like to go mega crazy on details such as the personality section. Otherwise it's usually helpful to have as a GM so that you have an idea of what characters to expect. I make the judgement on whether I think somebody's up to the detail level of my RPs by assessing their character form; if they can put effort and detail into planning out a character's personality, amongst other sections of course, then I reckon they can do the same in RP too. A writing sample does this just as well, mind you.

It's also quite good for ideas, in my opinion. You can read what other people have put and then react to it by creating a character that doesn't fit the mould that the others already occupy, or bounce ideas by visualising future interactions, or a character that'll specifically bounce off of the other characters. An in depth personality section was pretty much integral in one of my older RPs because all the characters knew each other, if not indirectly, before the start of the RP; hence reading different people's personalities was essential for people to know who their characters would get on with, who they could potentially already have been good friends with for a long time, ect. Though said RP didn't last long term because my management was particularly terrible, I got an almost unanymous positive feedback from people saying they enjoyed doing all that, and the hype was pretty dang good when the RP first started.

You're right, though, in that a writing sample could probably achieve all this just as well, and I will definitely take that into account next time I make an RP, so thank you (and
@KillGill too) for bringing that opinion to light! The one main problem I've found in in-depth personality sections is that they can pressure people into strictly adhering to the moulds they've created; I've fallen foul of this several times, admittedly, where I've thought 'What would my character do?' and then been forced into reading over the form in order to avoid inconsistancies. I can imagine it's probably the same for others too.

SkyGinge said:
The one main problem I've found in in-depth personality sections is that they can pressure people into strictly adhering to the moulds they've created; I've fallen foul of this several times, admittedly, where I've thought 'What would my character do?' and then been forced into reading over the form in order to avoid inconsistancies. I can imagine it's probably the same for others too.
Certainly. Of course players understand this so they typically include personality qualifiers. Examples include:

"John is distant and withdrawn, but that doesn't keep him from cracking a joke from time to time."

"Jane is a very truthful girl, except when it comes to her past."

"John is an unapologetic selfish rogue, but he's always been a loyal friend to..."

It can get so ridiculous and contradictory.

Eh I find the personality part to be important if only because people in multiple RPs and/or slow moving RP's can go back and reference how this specific character acted. I will say asking 2-3 paragraphs on personality is a little ridiculous. I find it easier to leave it open for people to put down specific traits that stand out or just list a characters positive and negative attributes.

Heck I experimented with one of my RPs having people just fill in the traits for both personality and combat style because it was centered around killing monsters and such. It worked out great, the rest of the profile was a bit extensive though LOL.

I cannot for the life of me stand when people join an RP - especially one with a set character limit - and then decide to just randomly leave without a word. It murders RPs, and I will instantaneously NOT want you in my next RP if you do this.

Loners or extremely nasty, mean characters who are just generally unlikeable. If all I wanna do is punch you in the face, I'm certainly not gonna work with you to save the universe or whatever...

Folks who ignore the RULES tab. It is there for a reason - it isn't the same as the RPN rules... You are not some exception TO the rules... Read them. Or die.

Folks who just decide to do whateverall with their characters, despite the plot moving in a particular direction. Get in the bus? Nah... I think I'll just... disappear on my awesome motorcycle and still magically find y'all later, despite the headquarters you're going to being some super secret place NO ONE CAN FIND.

An OVER abundance of "words" -- I love detail. I am a description freak. But I will not even look at your RP if your lore is 622 pages -- and it's even WORSE if you didn't bother to proof read those 622 pages for errors...

Which brings me to my BIGGEST pet peeve of all time...

People who do NOT proof read! It does not take that long... One or two mistakes is one thing, but it is MIND numbing to have a post written by a full grown adult that is literally riddled with grammar mistakes and spelling errors... Take TWO seconds, read over it... Heck, stick it in a word program and let the squiggly lines do it for you, but for Heaven's sake... do NOT post without checking if the content is accurate...

This looks enjoyable so I feel like throwing in my own preferences but firrrssttt...

@KillGill

I agree fully with the personality opinion you stated here.

See my issue on that is that with most RPs I've been joining the GM requests 2-3 paragraphs for a personality while one even requested 4-5! You're here person you know who you are heheheh xP

Anyways back on topic, my big issue is that I actually do not know my characters personality in a specific typable way until I've had a chance to actually do a few good quality posts for that character. I don't think I've EVER created a character with a personality on the CS that matched the personality I play them with perfectly. Things ALWAYS change for me as soon as I start posting. I don't like listing traits either as it makes me feel restricted.

@Tripodric

Dude I know EXACTLY who you're talking about LOL

------

Alright back to my actual contextually relevant posting.

Bare in mind that the following post is extremely opinionated and also laced with expletives here and there! :D

Sorry I'm a sailor, it comes naturally and I don't care to stop it when I'm talking about things that get me aggravated.

ALRIGHT! Roleplayers I completely DESPISE...

I abso-fucking-lutely HATE anyone who's character is designed around taking the spot light or being a badass in general. It pisses me off to no end when every bit of work you did on your character is in the general goal of making a "Badass mutha fucka who doesn't take shit from nobody".

I also wish to tear the head off an angsty mutha fucka who's entire character basis is oh this or that happened to me but I'm like this. Now I can understand a tragic background, hell, I enjoy a good tragic background as in the right context it can provide the character with depth and emotional strength in some circumstances. But I swear if you fucking do this you had better DO IT RIGHT! I do not hesitate to deny any character applied to my RP with this tragic background who became this brooding bachelor or hardass chick. I mean seriously if you lost a loved one early in your life you don't get hardened to death or other things like such and run around beating anyone's ass who messes with you. Sorry but I don't know ANYONE in real life who's lost a loved one and underwent a dramatic change like that. Depending on the relation to that loved one in most cases they grieve for a short time and move on. I think the farthest anything like that should ever get is someone who's stricken by grief and kind of retreated into themselves. Like give up on life, and I'm not saying someone who throws themselves at anything hoping they finally die, I mean someone who sits on their ass twenty four seven and needs assistance to do anything for themselves. I've heard of things like that happening actually. I can understand some more major things, like suicide, homicide, or a short trip for revenge happening short time for some characters as I know that humans, in grief, can make terrible choices with little planning. But I swear if you're character turns into a brutal killer because someone close to him died then get the hell out.

I could go on for days about roleplayers I hate honestly but a majority of them were covered here already, metagamers, god-modders, intense romance people, NOT TO SAY THAT I DISLIKE A GOOD YANDERE!

For those that don't know what a yandere is, gather close I'mma give you a streamlined education. Okay imagine that overly intense desperate guy or girl who's doggedly after your character. Hate em right? NOW, imagine that same person, except strip away metagaming and godmodding. Imagine them doing everything they can to get your character in a respectful way through only IC methods. They don't metagame and they don't godmod. Any attempts to kill off a potential suitor aren't insta kills and such, and knowledge they learn about your character or another is learned through conventional means. I've found that characters like that who are played right can be oh so fun to play with in the correct setting.

But I'm rambling now. Onward to roleplays I despise.

I despise anything with a lack of plot and centered around developing romance between characters. Harem settings, 1x1's based on pairings, RPs based around a multitude of characters in a school with no plot but to develop a romance. No thank you.

NOW in a certain circumstance all of these can be, in my own opinion, done perfectly well. Except Harem, I can't think of any way to make a harem setting type RP good.

But a 1x1 romance? Knight and Princess type pairing? Rather than throw a knight and a princess into a certain setting how about give it a plot? :D You know, the entire meaty juicy thing that makes an RP enjoyable? Perhaps this knight is this princess' escort somewhere? Eh, a rather generic boring and undefined plot but it's better than, "Knight x Princess! k let's romance!"

Multitudes of characters in a school setting with romance? I've actually been in two that worked out pretty well, sadly both died I believe. I'm not sure about one I haven't checked in awhile. These worked in my opinion because, instead of just throwing characters into a mix and letting everyone go wild, they both introduced mini plot lines. Nothing terribly complicated, but it was a wonderful insight to create obstacles, conflict, and tensions that forced everyones character to react in some other way y'know? The two who did this are also here and you know who you are you good ole people ;)

Well that's the end of my wonderful rant.

Dude has anybody made a type of roleplayers and type of roleplays you like thread yet? Someone should..I might, I want to rant about things I like now! Someone tell me if there is because I'm on tapatalk and can't tell and if there isn't you can bet your ass I'm doing it! I wana rant about all my favorite things and trade opinions with people. That'd be fun y'kno- son of a bitch I'm ranting off topic again. Just y'know, answer that last question for me!

@Dreadpool : Entirely different. I'm talking protagonists who are just not likeable in any way.

As for the issues folks have with personalities in Character Sheets, my view is, if you don't wanna do it, don't apply ;) GMs are entitled to make their sheets however long they choose... You aren't obligated to join their rp.

I don't think there's a specific type of rp that I hate. There's types of ones I won't join because I'm just not into that, but they don't bother me by existing. I don't have to join them, so I don't see a reason to gripe about school rps that people have fun rping in, because I literally can't care about rps I'm not interested in.

Types of roleplayers I can't stand have already been discussed- people who romanticize mental illness or leave out all the really unpleasant parts, people who have their mentally ill characters suddenly 'fixed' by falling in love, meta-gamers, god-modders, people who auto-hit and bunny, etc,

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet though, that also could be a cause of the inaccurate portrayal of mental illnesses, is research.

Players that won't research things about their characters are kind of annoying.

Like it's fine if they miss a few details, and it's easily fixable if someone politely mentions that they missed something (assuming they don't immediately get defensive and angry).

But if someone doesn't do any research at all on things that should probably warrant research, it's annoying.

Like your character went through tragedy or some type of trauma? Do some google searches about how people typically respond to those kinds of things, read a few things written by people who actually went through them.

For instance, one of my characters got caught in a fire and was burned badly and even lost an eye. I ended up staying up late finding out about the different degrees of burns, how they're treated, other side-affects such as smoke inhalation, how long it would take to recover, how that kind of trauma might affect him mentally, how fake eyes work and how often they need to be cleaned, etc.

Does your character have a certain skill? Research it. You don't have to be an expert at it, but you should have more knowledge than someone who doesn't have that skill.

Is your character mentally ill? Do research on it. It's annoying when people casually say "my character is a psycho/sociopath" but they obviously have no clue what one is or the basic traits of it/what could cause a person to qualify for diagnosis, and if you said something about ASPD they'd be like "Huh? What's that?" Or they play their proclaimed psychopathic character more like someone who has symptoms of psychosis. The "falling in love and being 'fixed'" sorta trope is even more inaccurate in that sort of situation and in real life would be basically impossible/probable.

Which while I suppose some stuff like that can be the media's fault (because the media loves misrepresenting this kinda thing), it's still the player's responsibility to do research.

A character who is a self-proclaimed psychopath because they're trying to be "edgy" or "interesting" but is in reality absolutely nowhere near psychopathic is rather realistic (too many people in highschool...) , but it should be clear that they aren't one and that's the entire point.

Is your character some sort of minority whether it be sexually, racially, or etc, but you yourself are not that minority? Do some research.

Your character planning to poison someone? Do some research.

Your character is a religion that you aren't/haven't grown up with? Do some research.

Things like skills and hobbies aren't as important, but if you're rping a minority or mentally ill person and you yourself are not, research is not an option.

I think if people did that the gross inaccuracies and romanticization might decline. Plus I think it's just a quality of a good writer to do research.

It's also annoying when characters' actions are blatantly unrealistic. Like a small, thin, twig-armed girl having an arm wrestling match with a muscular jock and the person playing the girl posts that she won when the jock wasn't going easy on her. Those are just kind of common sense things.

And people who say their roleplay is detailed but there's super short posts, or players who aren't capable of posting detailed posts join.

There's nothing wrong with just not being at that point yet, but when a rp is clearly detailed and you know you can't deliver I'm not really sure why people join.

On a previous site when I was capable of maybe a few paragraphs in a post and was maybe capable of playing characters that were realistic and had some depth, I wanted to join a advanced rp group. But I wasn't sure if I was capable. So I figured I'd wait and look forward to the day that my skills improved.

I'm not saying I'm a master rper, and I'm far from it. There's rps on this site I think look cool but I didn't join them because I thought I wouldn't be able to rp at everyone else's level and would bring the rp down.

It's not an insult to not be at that level yet, and it's certainly not a personal thing/personal attack. It's just that you haven't had as much practice as other people. So I think I've never really understood why people get extremely upset and argumentative over being rejected from rps or get hurt over things like ranking rps on a scale of advancement. I can't really relate to those kinds of feelings at all.

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]
As for the issues folks have with personalities in Character Sheets, my view is, if you don't wanna do it, don't apply ;) GMs are entitled to make their sheets however long they choose... You aren't obligated to join their rp.

[/QUOTE]
I can't remeber ever feeling obligated to join any particular RP. And I don't need to agree on every lore piece, every GM decision, or every character sheet element in order to apply. But maybe I'm unique?

I've got plenty of things roleplay-related that I can rant about, but I'm much to lazy to do so. So, in a completely Dumbledore-like way, I'll some it up in a few words.

Nitwit, Oddment, Blubber, Tweak. Thank you!

Kidding, kidding. But still, instead of giving vast descriptions, I'll simply say a few things that irk me.

• When Roleplayers utterly ignore the plot or other surrounding actions just to force romance in.
  • Roleplayers who have an utter and complete lack of grammar and spelling. I'm sorry, but that just irks me a lot.
  • When an opposing roleplayer's character can CONSTANTLY deflect, dodge, absorb, or in any other way, avoid attacks WITHOUT stopping. I hate that. Even worse, when the opposing roleplayer proceeds to automatically strike the person he or she is roleplaying with.
  • Characters that are literally made to be OP, Mary-Sues, or otherwise, supremely powerful and epic. I made a roleplay once, and one person joined, and the character they made was powerful enough to destroy solar systems. Yes, DESTROY SOLAR SYSTEMS. I'm not against somewhat powerful characters, but that... no, this ain't Dragon Ball Z. Needless to say, I denied it.

That was slightly longer then I was planning. I've got more, but the shadows of inactivity are calling me back.

"NO, WAIT, I WANT TO STAY AND ROLEP--"

*Is returned to inactivity*

Elle Joyner] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/10462-dreadpool/ said:
@Dreadpool[/URL] : Entirely different. I'm talking protagonists who are just not likeable in any way.
Technically, not all protagonist should be likable, such as villainous protagonist.

Take a look at Light Yagami for example. :P

Still though, yeh've got a point.

I know this has been said a million times, even many times in this thread, but I'd like to add something. I hate one liners. That said, sometimes you just get stuck and can't think of much to say. But there's a large difference between different styles of one line posts, take these introductions to a character that's just been met.

"Hey, would you like some help with that?" Aaron says happily, smiling at his new acquaintance.

Or

Aaron: "Hey, would you like some help with that?"

The first one tells me your character is friendly, quite outgoing and happy to meet my character, in the second I can't tell if your character is outgoing or shy, and I definitely can't tell anything about their tone, things my character would actually know because you're talking to them, of course they know if you present yourself as confident or not.

I don't know how many people actually role play like this but I've been in the same thread as one person that does and they've replied to about a one paragraph open interaction with one line in the second format. If other people are trying then you should too, and honestly that just deters me from replying because when you leave an open interaction you don't want someone to reply to it just because they can, you want them to do it because they have something to contribute and are actually trying.

I don't like characters in fandom roleplays who are Mary Sues in the sense of the original Mary Sue, which is to say: Somehow this fan character is best friends with all of the canon characters. That bugs me.

Players who throw fits when they lose fights, ESPECIALLY when they're the one who always starts the fight.

Players whose characters have no sense of humour whatsoever and react to all things with "So childish" or shit like that. If someone throws a pie in your face you don't kill them with an axe. That's not proper escalation or fun. It's fucking stupid and if you do it you're also fucking stupid.

Something that bothers me is when people can't find unique ways to introduce them into the plot after it's already a couple pages in. For example, everyone always goes to just "bumping into someone" to intro their characters, both figuratively and literally. I just think this is way overused and people need to think of unique ways to intro their characters.

Something that bothers me is when people can't find unique ways to introduce them into the plot after it's already a couple pages in. For example, everyone always goes to just "bumping into someone" to intro their characters, both figuratively and literally. I just think this is way overused and people need to think of unique ways to intro their characters.
At least you are playing with people who try to interact with other players. I have found several others who are always running from action, somehow seeming to avoid contact with anyone else, or at least actively blocking any form of reply you could give to them.

These players often have the guts to complain OOC about how everyone is ignoring them. Well gee, you just ditched several plot hooks thrown at you, both by players and gamemasters. What did you expect, that everyone would always go after you?

There's... There's pretty much no other way to introduce your character. If you don't interact with somebody, you're basically setting yourself up to be ignored. Would you rather everyone do their own big long special intro that involves being half a world away from each other and nobody ever meets, they just jerk off in their own little section?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back