Transitioning from a pen & paper to a forum game.

Edrondol

Resident Old Guy
Hey, all. I was looking to start a game that is based on the system I wrote, but need advice for transitioning from a standard tabletop game to one played here on the forum. I had been looking for a VTT to utilize, but I always find them either too restrictive, too difficult, or not enough flexibility for my GM style.

So for an old roleplayer and GM, what advice would you give for a smooth experience not only for me but for any characters that want to sign up?

I'm looking to create a tabletop experience yet keep it fun enough for everyone. The world and rules system are already in place and ready to go. I just need to figure out how to make it work.

Thanks in advance!

What's a VTT?

Other than that, transitioning isn't usually too hard with published systems, since books are available (many in .pdf). Having created your own system means you'll have to put more effort in, but that's likely just time, not difficulty.

The easiest way is probably to put your rules in their own tab (you can request tabs if you don't have enough), make the first post of that tab a table of contents, and give each section its own post after that. You can add links to each post in the table of contents by clicking on the number at the top right of each post (for example, this one says "#2") and copying the link. You might want to include sample character sheets in that tab as well.

Setting and other world descriptors can go in a separate tab, again with table of contents if you wish.

Default tabs include IC and OOC, among others, so that will let you have all your IC action and still allow for OOC chat.

If your system includes dice, not only will your RP go in the Dice section, but you'll be able to take advantage of our nifty dice roller! There's two ways to use it.

1) Type up one's post and post it, then click the "Roll Dice" button on the bottom right of the post.

2) Click the Dice button on the top (floating) menu bar, click "Roll," then copy/paste your roll's BBcode into your post.

If you need any further assistance with the dice roller, I can go into more detail.

VTT is Virtual Table Top. It's like an interactive battle map for gaming remotely, yet keeping the pen & paper feel.

As to the tabs & rules, I will look into that but wonder if my system is too big. I already have a 125 page document and a ton of charts to go along with it. ( :D )

edit: I just found you can make pdfs here as a BBCode. That's kind of awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, that is kind of big. :D Sounds like you've thought out a lot of things! Maybe inserting it as a .pdf, as you've found, would be a better idea, so that you won't have to retype everything.

Edrondol said:
As to the tabs & rules, I will look into that but wonder if my system is too big. I already have a 125 page document and a ton of charts to go along with it. ( :D )
I can personally attest that you should be fine.

Though finding players can be a struggle sometimes. You'll have to be patient, potentially walk youngsters with only freeform experience through it, and if you get any of us old-guard to take a look expect a flurry of constructive criticism.

I'd strongly advise joining an extant or preparing game already on the site to make links with some of our traditional roleplayers - it's a good way to people excited to play with you as GM. And if you can sell people on the setting they'll usually engage well enough with the system.

Grey said:
I can personally attest that you should be fine.
Though finding players can be a struggle sometimes. You'll have to be patient, potentially walk youngsters with only freeform experience through it, and if you get any of us old-guard to take a look expect a flurry of constructive criticism.

I'd strongly advise joining an extant or preparing game already on the site to make links with some of our traditional roleplayers - it's a good way to people excited to play with you as GM. And if you can sell people on the setting they'll usually engage well enough with the system.
This sounds like an excellent idea. I'm redoing some of the ending stuff as I found my document left out a bunch of stuff that used to be there. I don't know why I've only got an archived copy. The rules and charts are all there, but I'm missing some Guild information and - *gasp* - the hand-made and professional looking character sheets, which makes me cry a little tear.

Ouch, I know that feeling. Lost a whole manuscript to hard-drive failure a few years back and now I just keep everything on Google Drive. Hopefully reconstructing the missing stuff shouldn't be too painful.

I have no idea when it comes to fancy sheets or formatting or any of that, though (something to spend Patreon donations on), so thankfully all I lost was hours of text.

I tried putting my doc into Google Docs but that was a failed experiment. It completely reformats it to be 1 column only and my doc is 2 column. I do like yours and the way it allows annotations.

If you can get it into a .pdf, you should be able to save that to Google Drive (as opposed to Google Docs) and go from there. I mean the character sheets specifically, once you get them remade, but the rest would probably work too.

You mean...like this? I split it into two documents - one for players and one for the GM super secret information.

So odd question. Does one have to be allowed to share the document to read these or do they natively embed? I have a feeling I need to open up sharing.

edit: Yeah, I had it set wrong. Now anyone can view it. Sorry about that.

No worries. I made that mistake a few times in the past.

Skimmed over it - painfully light on setting info, but it looks mechanically sound.

Grey said:
No worries. I made that mistake a few times in the past.
Skimmed over it - painfully light on setting info, but it looks mechanically sound.
Settings info is on purpose. It's meant to be able to be played in any world setting. Now, there IS a world that this is set in, but that's outlined in the GM guide. It's one of those things I have to add back in. Suffice it to say characters will for the most part start out largely ignorant of the world around them. Most will not know of much beyond a few dozen miles from their starting point. They'll have to learn as they go.

Notable exceptions to this are scholars and Rangers, whose wanderings take them a bit farther afield. We figured the mechanics needed to be solid before doing anything with the setting, which is a gritty version of a D&D world. Not antiseptic, but not Warhammer levels of grime.

Hard to go wrong with a percentile model - it's been working for Warhammer and Call of Cthulhu for years, and one of my favourite games (Eclipse Phase) uses it.

Not personally a fan of generic systems, but I can definitely appreciate (you have no doubt guessed) a nice midground between Warhammer and D&D.

Edrondol said:
You mean...like this? I split it into two documents - one for players and one for the GM super secret information.
Just like that. (^.^) Something to be aware of, though - it seems to have your real name in the document. Is that intentional? Many people (myself included) prefer anonymity over the internet.

I'm a 50 year old white guy who happens to be a former Marine. I'm not losing sleep. If you google Edrondol you can find my real name and phone number. I appreciate the concern but if someone wants to stalk me they can just stop by and say hi. (^U^)

Long as you're OK with it. (^.^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back