• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Transformation

Leon often questioned his life decisions but tonight was different. He’d prepared, he’d rehearsed, and he knew without a doubt that the step he’d take next was the right one, but that didn’t keep anxiety from clawing at his insides.

They’d had dinner at their favorite restaurant, a hole in the wall where they knew their names and favorite dishes, and would bring a bottle of wine to their table before they’d had a chance to ask for it. He’d hardly tasted his meal, only sipped at his wine, and she’d noticed because she’d asked if he was alright. He’d made more of an effort then, cleared his plate and finished one glass, then another, so he felt the buzz of alcohol as they left arm in arm.

For the dozenth time, he performed a check in three steps: right pocket, left pocket, and back pocket. He had his phone, his wallet, and a box. He breathed a sigh of relief, but was dismayed when calmness only prevailed a few short seconds before panic kicked in again, making his heart flip-flop in his chest and a tremor set up in his hands.

He’d planned dinner, a walk, and a question. Dinner had been eaten, and now they walked down firefly lit sidewalks, surrounded by trees with wispy moss dripping from their branches. Next came the question. He guided her towards a park near their house, past playground equipment and picnic tables, to a gazebo with lights strung from the rafters and wrapped around each pole.

He caught a flash of red hair, a hissed, “Oh, shit,” and he stopped with Rita to pull her into his arms, then leaned down to snatch a kiss. It wasn’t out of character for him to press his lips against hers when the moment struck, and wasn’t this a moment? The night was warm, crickets and frogs sang from the trees, and they were alone. There definitely hadn’t been anyone else there. When he heard the last footstep fade into the park, Leon sighed, extracted himself from Rita, and urged her to move with him into the gazebo.

“How’s work been going?” he asked as he took a seat on the far side of one of the benches within, leaving enough room for her to sit next to him. He hadn't asked her that over dinner, had he? Had he really said anything? He couldn't remember, it'd been a blur of food and wine and being anxious about looking anxious. Had she noticed he was anxious? Did she notice now? He cleared his throat and unclenched the fist that'd formed while his thoughts rattled about, then wiped his sweaty palm against the thigh of his pants.

His heartbeat pounded in his head, but he made himself smile at her. No anxiousness here, no siree.

Last edited:
It was everything Rita needed.

At first, when Leon had proposed a date night, Rita had been skeptical. Work was rough, not difficult just busy and she found herself running around trying to get back into the swing of things. It’d only been about two months since she accepted a job working public relations for a local charity and was still slowly adjusting to a life back in pencil skirts and heels. She worked strange hours, most of which she set herself, but it was hard for Rita to not just jump in guns blazing. Her and Leon had a house now, a life together, and she wanted to make sure that what she was doing was right.

And of course, when Rita wanted something done right, she worked and worked and worked until it was perfect. Luckily, she had Leon to hold her close and wear that warm goofy smile, the only one that could ease her worries and pull her back into a state of euphoria. Dinner and a walk, he promised, nothing too flashy. But it had been so long since they last went out just the two of them that Rita couldn’t say no. It was a warm Friday night and she couldn’t think of a better way than to spend it with Leon.

They went to their favorite restaurant and out for a stroll in the park, just the two of them and a myriad of fireflies that lazed about in the sky. Suddenly, his lips were on hers and she melted into him. All Rita was trying to do tonight was put her mind at ease and enjoy the moment. She smiled against him as he led her to the lit gazebo and took a seat. She smoothed out her little black dress and settled beside him, crossing her feet at the ankle. His hand was in hers still as they settled together and she smiled at his question.

“Just getting back into the swing of things,” Rita exhaled, “Not sure my feet are used to being back in heels, though I’m sure you have no complaints.” It was a warm tease, followed by a gentle laugh. She slipped her fingers through his. They were a bit clammy but it was a humid evening and Leon did run quite a few degrees hotter than she did. She held on affectionately and glanced up at him.

“I’m just glad you convinced me to come out tonight. It’s been too long since we’ve been out just the two of us. I mean, I know I see you at home constantly, but it’s just nice to go out once in a while.”

“Even three years here and I still never seem to get used to seeing all these fireflies.”

Her fingers twined in his, combined with her teasing and easy laughter, worked to ease some of the pressure in his chest. She’d always been able to do that. With a touch, a word, she could bring him back from whatever had gotten him worked up. His smile came easier as he glanced back at her. She wasn’t wrong. Rita was beautiful in everything she wore — from his old t-shirts to full-length gowns — but when she had on heels and a skirt, it was something else. One of the first times she’d dressed for work in one of those skirts that hugged her hips and thighs along with a pair of heels and tried to dash by him, he’d caught her and hadn’t let go until she’d chided him for making her late. She’d slipped back into his arms when he’d pointed out that she basically made her own schedule, and surely she could spare him half an hour. He would never complain about Rita in heels.

He squeezed her hand when she went on to voice her gratitude for setting up a date night. They’d both been busy recently: Rita with her new job at the charity, and him with his business. As soon as he’d received his certification to act as a private investigator, he’d taken on a surprising number of clients who wanted him to follow their spouses and document their infidelities so they could file for divorce and not lose their asses in the process. There’d been a few exceptions, but mostly he spent his time doing extensive research on targets online, only to end up in his car waiting for something to take a picture of. It was mind-numbingly boring sometimes, but he imagined that as he established a name for himself, he’d attract more varied work.

Regardless, he was satisfied with their normal lives, their normal jobs, and the normal path they traveled on. It was a far cry from the lives they’d had before New Orleans, before they’d escaped and fought their way from the clutches of an organization intent on exploiting others. They’d earned routine, predictability, and no one trying to kill them. They’d earned their future. Leon felt butterfly wings in his stomach. They fluttered their way upwards into his chest and throat, but it wasn’t the beginnings of panic he’d felt on the walk over. It was anticipation. He wanted to push things to the next stage. He was ready, and she’d provided him an opening that he couldn’t have planned it better if he’d tried.

“Three years,” he repeated. “We’ve been here and together three years.” He faced her then, caught her eyes with his and cleared his throat. This was the part he’d rehearsed. He’d repeated it to himself while he’d showered, while he’d driven to his next job, and as she curled into his arms at night. He had it down. So why did he feel like he was back in fourth grade and in front of the class with a half-baked presentation? “I ah…” He glanced down at their intertwined fingers, then back up to her face. Bolstered, he continued on, "I love you. I've loved you since you charged into that containment unit and saved me. And every time I think I can’t love you more, you do something like push me to be better, or you fight past the point anyone else would’ve given up. Every single year, hell, every day I've spent with you just makes me want more. I want—” He inhaled deeply, exhaled slowly. “I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

Still holding her hand, he shifted and lowered himself from the bench so he was on one knee before her. He patted three of his pockets. Left pocket. No, that was his phone. Back pocket. No, that was his wallet. Right pocket. Leon laughed and extracted a small black velvet box. He relinquished her hand so he could open and hold it out to her, revealing a large green sapphire ring with a halo of diamonds, and diamonds encrusted along the band. He hadn’t known sapphires came in green, but he’d known it was Rita’s as soon as he’d seen it. It was the color of her eyes.

“Will you marry me, Rita?”

Last edited:
Those were the five words she never expected to hear again.

People were lucky to find one person that they were willing to spend the rest of their lives with. One person, one engagement, one wedding, fifty anniversaries shared with one person. It had taken Rita a long time to come to terms with the reality of moving on after Chase’s death and in three years she had found all the peace she could hope to find. Becca asked questions sometimes, other times Rita would share memories, and sometimes she still missed him but not with the same pain she had once suffered through. It took a lot to move on into total acceptance and Rita had fought through hell and back to find peace – a peace where she could say that she loved Chase and she was lucky to be able to love him while he was here with her, but nothing would or could change the fact that he was gone.

It was funny, actually, that in that moment she felt him there. He would have wanted this for her, would have wanted a life of joy and laughter, full of love and devotion. He had told her every day of her life that she was the easiest person in the world to love, but it hadn’t felt that way in a long time. Not until Leon came into her life like a meteor, scattering the moon and all her stars. She had never intended to meet him, to fall for him, but she knew there were just some things in this life that you weren’t meant to argue.

It took her mouth a moment to catch up with her thoughts, all the while her big green eyes gazed lovingly between Leon and the ring. God, that ring. Immediately, she knew why he had picked it, as it was the same color of her eyes and in that moment she knew she had to say something. But, the thought of marriage didn’t scare her anymore. She already intended to spend the rest of her life with Leon, so why not spend it truly beside him, sharing his last name and living this perfect little life they’d created for one another.

“Yes,” Rita breathed out finally, but it sounded more like a whisper so she laughed and repeated herself again, “God, yes, Leon. Of course I’ll marry you.”

Ring be damned, she reached for his face and felt hot tears working down her cheeks. It didn’t matter because she pulled his lips so ferociously to her own, it was hard to know where she end and he began. When they finally pulled away, Rita reached up to uselessly wipe at the tears that fell, but it was hard not to cry. All she could think about was that moment she met Leon and how crippling that darkness was, but when she saw him – there was light.

And now her life was just full of light – not just because of the fireflies.

Slowly, she held out her hand to him so he could slip the ring on, all the while shaking her head in disbelief. Who would have thought that this would be where they ended up?

The moment Rita spent looking between the ring and him would’ve been the longest, most nerve-racking moment in his life if not for the look in her eyes. He knew that look: the warmth, the love, the acceptance. Still, when she said yes, when the actual word parted her lips, he breathed freely again. He didn’t have the opportunity for many free breaths, though, because she caught him up in a kiss that stole the air from his lungs for as long as their mouths connected. She released him and he reeled from the intensity of it.

All his months of planning — calling her dad to ask his permission, picking out the ring, figuring out how and where he’d ask her — it’d all culminated and resulted in an experience he’d never had before. The rush of relief and joy, the headiness of it all, made it difficult to focus on pulling the ring from its satin pillow, but he managed without fumbling and dropping it. Surreal. It was surreal. It didn’t feel like it was happening to him. He’d never truly entertained getting married, not until Rita. For a long time, all he’d known was that he wanted to spend his life with her, and though that didn’t require marriage, there was something appealing about the tradition— of getting down on one knee, asking for her hand, then giving her a ring to start the process of cementing their bond in real, physical terms.

He slid the ring onto her finger, past her knuckle, and it fit. Thank fuck it fit. Rita didn’t wear much jewelry so he’d had to be creative and had measured her finger with string while she slept one night, but despite the jeweler’s assurances they could resize it if they needed, he’d wanted her to be able to wear it right away.

Leon stood, tugged her up and into his arms, and met her in another kiss. He pulled back, grinned, and loosened an arm so he could brush away some of the wetness shining on her cheeks.

"I thought about saying I’d never make you cry, but I knew it was a lost cause,” he said, eyes twinkling. “Wouldn’t be a good way to start things out, making promises I couldn’t keep.” Once he’d cleared her cheeks, he returned to holding her and hugged her tightly to him. He didn’t have a girlfriend anymore, he had a fiancée, and soon he’d have a wife. For someone who’d been unconcerned about labels when they’d first started dating, he was surprised by the thrill it sent through him.

“What's next?” he asked abruptly, leaning back just enough to see her face. “I didn’t get much beyond the whole on my knee hoping to hell you said yes part when I came up with my plan.”

Last edited:
“I’m a big cry baby sometimes,” Rita joked as he wiped the tears away, “I get it from my mom…oh my god, my mom. I have to tell my mom.”

Rita immediately thought of her mother back in North Carolina. They had left on decent terms and Rita had even made an effort to call her once in a while instead of pushing it off on Chase like she used to. The two of them reconciled and day by day her mother seemed far more apt to accept Leon into the family and after three years he was practically all she asked about. How was his new job? How did he like the house? She never asked the question of marriage, though, almost knowing how complex a question that would be for her to answer. Rita was thankful for it too, at the time, but now it just felt right. Leon was going to be her husband. They were going to stand up in front of all their family and friends and pledge to be true and love one another for the rest of their days. While Rita knew that they were essentially married already, it would be nice to have a ceremony to commemorate the occasion and do it by law.

When he mentioned what was next, a bright smile flashed across her face as she pulled her attention back to him. “Please, you know me better than anyone in the world,” she teased, “did you really think I’d say no?”

Her eyes shifted and her smile turned into a knowing smirk, “And if you’re looking for what’s next, I would probably look out into the bushes where we seem to have attracted an audience and paparazzi.”

She had noticed it as they spoke, her ears picking up on the sound of the shutter from the bushes. She might not have been an enforcer anymore and hung up her two guns long ago, but she was still Rita. Unnaturally aware of everything going on around her and able to read people like a book. “Come on out everyone,” Rita called out, turning just enough in Leon’s hold to look out into the bushes but not break away from him.

It took a moment, but soon thereafter there was rustling in the bushes and out came Nate, followed by an awe-struck, teary-eyed Becca, and Orvar with his camera. Rita couldn’t help but smile wide at the sight of them, their little rag-tag family, walking towards the gazebo. “Looks like doing charity work hasn’t made me the least bit rusty,” Rita joked, “So if they’re all in on it…”

“Are my parents in on it too? Oh god, don't tell me they're gonna jump out of the bushes too.”

“No, well— yes. I called ‘em before I started the ball rolling,” Leon said laughingly. “But they’re waiting for us to call, not hanging out in the bushes.” He wished her parents were closer so they could’ve visited them in person to share the news, but like the initial request to marry their daughter, it’d have to be done over the phone. They could at least make a video call; he knew Rita’s mother would be chomping at the bit to see the engagement ring. His grandma in Texas would be expecting a call too, though she’d have to wait to see the ring. Somehow she still had a working flip phone and flatly refused to let him buy her something from the current decade. It works, she’d chided him, why would you buy another?

They’d built their lives hundreds of miles from either of their families, but they made every effort to keep connected even if they couldn’t visit as often as they might want. Granted, the last time they’d packed up to visit the border town he’d grown up in, it hadn’t taken him long to remember the only reason he’d been sad to leave in the first place was that he’d have to leave his only family behind. His grandma had raised him from infancy, and he loved her like he would’ve loved a mother, but he didn’t love Del Rio. He didn’t love sagebrush or the small town mentalities.

Although he still missed his grandma something fierce, they had their New Orleans family, a family they’d chosen — friends they’d developed deep bonds with throughout their trials and years together. Family that hung out in bushes and watched him put himself on the line and had remained amazingly quiet throughout the whole thing. He was most impressed with Becca, who’d volunteered to decorate the gazebo and had nearly gotten herself caught when he’d first brought Rita over. She’d clearly been crying, and she wasn’t known for crying quietly.

The lanky redhead sniffled loudly, and when she asked Rita to see the ring and she complied, gasped and held her hand over her mouth. “It’s so beautiful,” she squeaked out from between her long fingers. “I’m so happy for you, both of you.” Nate stopped at Becca’s side, and seemed unsurprised when she immediately turned to him and wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug. They were an interesting pair, Nate and Becca, who much like him and Rita, had built a relationship with one another while the world flung shit at them. Forged by shit was the saying, right? Leon wouldn't be surprised if theirs was the next wedding if they continued on like they were.

He smirked at Nate, who had successfully passed as his cousin when they’d visited Rita’s parents last and hadn’t wanted to explain how they were all really connected. He’s a werewolf we found chasing after a deer during the full moon and took in would’ve been harder to swallow than the white lie of being biologically related. They looked enough alike, both with olive-toned skin, dark curly hair, and brown eyes, that Rita’s parents hadn’t questioned it.

Orvar, tall and pale in his dark gray suit, stood back from them and continued snapping photos. Now that Leon could focus on something other than Rita, he couldn’t stop himself from looking at the camera directly, and eventually, Orvar sighed and lowered the camera.

“I suppose that will have to do,” he said. “Though I’m certain at least one of the photos will turn out well enough you’ll be able send it along with your announcements.”

“Our announcements?” Leon asked with a raised eyebrow.

Orvar mirrored the action, though his lifted eyebrow read more disbelief than confusion. “Your engagement announcements, of course.” He laughed at Leon’s expression. “I’m sure it can wait for a time, but not long enough to be considered impolite.”

“Right,” Leon said, and Orvar laughed again. It wasn’t in an unkind way, but Leon couldn’t help but feel like he was being laughed at for not knowing what the hell Orvar was on about.

The only people they needed to know about their engagement were there or they were going to call. Beyond their immediate circle, who needed to know they planned on getting married? While Leon tried to sort through that, Orvar finally stepped closer to the group, but didn’t remain longer than required to invite them all back to his home for tea and biscuits. A few years ago, Leon would’ve assumed he meant sweet tea and fluffy buttermilk biscuits, but he knew better now.

“That sounds wonderful,” Becca said, tugging on Nate to follow along behind Orvar. “We'll see you there,” the redhead said over her shoulder with a grin that dwarfed her face.

"I wouldn't mind some tea like old times," Leon admitted to Rita. "Y'know, with bourbon instead of tea."

Last edited:
Everything around her sort of blurred together.

It wasn’t that Rita was in shock, but the longer she let it sink in, the more she realized what just happened. After years and years of trying to come to term with Chase’s death and their long-called-off wedding, she was agreeing to this again. It was the definition of insanity, but she did not regret it. She wanted to do it again, to hire the vendors and find the venue and design place cards because she wanted to be able to stand up in front of everyone they knew and pledge her love to him. After losing Chase, she thought she would never be able to try again, but Leon had shown her how to be brave and face her demons head on. They were different, too. She was different. She was not the same woman who had said yes to Chase and she couldn’t imagine going through with the massive, upscale ceremony they had planned in the city.

Or the princess-like dress her mother had helped choose.

No, they weren’t that kind of couple. They had a beautiful house and after selling her apartment and getting ahold of their assets again, Rita had everything Chase left behind, but they were not the upscale type. No, she would want to get married here – New Orleans – their personal safe haven. They would say their vows among the weeping willows and fireflies. Not to mention, it was far too humid for her to wear pounds and pounds of ball gown fabric.

They were getting married. God.

“Hm?” Rita looked up at Leon after Becca and the others left with an invitation for tea, “Me either, I could use a drink. My hands are shaking.”

A bright smile found her lips as she looked down at her trembling hands. The adrenaline coursing through her was unlike anything she had ever felt before but it was good adrenaline. She was ecstatic and she had no idea what to do first – call her parents, kiss Leon, drink – but she would manage to get them all done. There was so much to plan and do, but they deserved to enjoy this moment between them. Their engagement. Rita had never been someone to cherish too many photographs, but she hoped Orvar had managed to grab one or two good prints because she didn’t want to forget that moment for anything in the world.

She slipped her ringed hand in his and started long after the other’s towards Orvar’s. She remained close, More or less wrapped around his arm as they walked. It felt surreal, like walking through a dream, but no matter how many times she blinked her eyes, it was all real. “So I take it Becca decorated?” Rita smiled up at him, “And Nate looked on disapprovingly but still helped anyway because he secretly likes us after all these years?”

She reached for his hand and when he clasped his fingers around hers, he felt the ring and it triggered an immediate smile. He’d slid the engagement ring onto her finger, had watched her tilt her hand up so she could look down at it, but it was like looking back on a dream hours after waking up, hazy and unreal. Feeling it there, however, was as real as real could get; it was a pinch, a reminder that she’d actually said yes. They’d have a wedding, they’d get married, and they’d live out the rest of their lives as husband and wife.

He had a sudden, striking image of them old and grey on the front porch of their house, sitting close in their rocking chairs. They’d think about the night they agreed to get married, a night much like that one, with fireflies bobbing about and the air warm on their skin, and they’d smile wrinkled smiles at each other. That, and all the moments leading up to it, was the future he wanted with Rita.

He aimed what now felt like a permanent smile at her when she asked about the gazebo. “That’s right. Just add in Orvar taking pictures and correcting them the whole time,” he said, followed by a chuckle. “Probably got some good ones of Nate giving him dirty looks.” Was it any wonder the vampire liked photography so much? Not only could you record a moment forever, you could share those moments with people who weren’t there. Nate’s frustration with Orvar would be preserved forever and people like him, who got a big kick out of seeing the younger werewolf with his hackles up, would be able to witness it.

“Becca wanted some Disney shit with doves and fireworks, but I talked her down to stringing up the gazebo with lights.” He laughed and rubbed his upper arm where a bruise had formed. “Nate didn’t appreciate it when I told her to keep all that in mind for her engagement. Punched the hell outta me.”

If nothing else, Leon was persistent — he hadn’t stopped teasing them since they’d started their relationship three years ago. It’d started as a farce, but he suspected there’d been a spark of something between Becca and Nate before they’d lied and told Rita’s parents on a visit they were a couple. Again, it had been easier for them to swallow than the truth: they’d actually found Becca at an Olive Garden after she’d flung a glass of sweet tea at an airman being handsy. With her mind. She could also remove bullets and heal broken bodies. She was a witch; a powerful witch, and she’d saved both his and Rita’s life in the time they’d known her. He hoped she got everything she wanted from life. She deserved it.

Neither of them would be where they were if not for Becca.

On top of her other abilities, the witch also had a talent for being quick to answer the door when they finally made it to the old mansion. He hadn't fully removed his finger from the doorbell to Orvar's house before the redhead had the door open and a smile beamed their way.

"You're here!" she exclaimed, then stood aside so they could come in. "We're all in the sitting room," she said, but they didn't need to be told.

Orvar wouldn't host teatime anywhere else.

Last edited:
“I hope we get to see those,” Rita laughed, “I’d love a photo or two that just captures the grumbling nature of Nate. I want all of them really. Now that we have walls to decorate. Just – don’t let me become my mother, okay?” It was a warm joke, one that brought a gentle laugh up and through her. She knew better but she couldn’t help but wonder what started her mother’s obsession with photographs. Rita didn’t want to have a house full of staged photos but she would happily put the candid ones up on the walls, building the past and present of their story on the beautifully bare walls of their home. She had decorated, sure, but there was something missing – something personal. After going through all of her things with Chase, Rita kept very little that she didn’t need. Those things were placed on display or used daily, but she wanted to start accumulating more.

She wanted a life with Leon, not just a pretty photograph.

“Doves and fireworks, huh? Color me unsurprised, really.”

The door to Orvar’s opened and Becca hastily ushered them inside. What Rita didn’t expect when they entered the sitting room was the chilled bottle of champagne and flutes, a celebration for the two of them from their own little family. “What is all this?” Rita asked.

“We knew you’d say yes,” Nate chuckled and shrugged, “Might as well be prepared.”

“Have you set a date yet?” Becca beamed as Orvar popped the bottle and poured flutes for everyone in the room. Rita raised an eyebrow at the girl, “It has been maybe ten minutes since we saw you, Becca.”

“So no?” she asked.

“No, not yet,” Rita laughed and shook her head, unable to process that this was all happening again. The engagement buzz, the excitement, the promise of forever – but she wasn’t scared. She should have been, but she wasn’t. Not with Leon, never with Leon. “We’ll have plenty of time to talk about it later, but for now – we drink.”

Rita took the glass from Orvar and caught sight of her left hand. It was so strange how engagement rings had a way of making a lefty out of a righty. It only felt natural to reach with it and show it off, and god was it beautiful. “To us,” Rita turned to Leon and beamed a wide smile that just could not be crushed, “The future Mr. and Mrs. Alvarez. I really do love the sound of that.”

“To us,” he chimed as he lifted his glass. He smiled until it dawned on him that she’d said Mr. and Mrs. Alvarez, then he grinned at Rita. He hadn’t assumed Rita would want to take his name — she’d established her career under her maiden name, and Mason was something that belonged to her. He would’ve understood if she’d wanted to keep it. He couldn’t deny that Mrs. Alvarez sounded nice, though, nor that it sent the same thrill through him as when he thought about the fact she’d be his wife and he’d be her husband.

He took a sip of champagne and the bubbles tickled their way into his mouth and down his throat. He would’ve rather had something smoky and smooth like the bourbon Orvar usually had on hand, but there was something special about an uncorked bottle shared amongst people who wanted to celebrate your happiness. And he was. He hadn’t thought it was possible to be as happy as he was at that moment. If he felt that way now, what would it be like when she walked down the aisle to him? Leon stepped closer to Rita, snaked an arm around her, and took another sip of champagne. When he lowered the glass, he raised his eyebrow at her.

“Wait a second, I thought we’d talked about going to the courthouse first thing in the morning?”

“You wouldn’t,” Becca gasped.

“What? I figure I’ve got about twenty-four hours before she sees sense again,” he said, squeezing Rita into a brief one-armed hug.

Becca’s face was a mask of shocked horror until she seemingly processed the shit-eating grin Leon wore and settled again. She huffed and shook her head. “You can’t joke about your wedding.”

“I can joke about everything,” he retorted. “It’s my special talent.”

She scoffed at him, but before Becca could say anything else, Orvar cleared his throat and stepped forward.

“I would like to assist financially with the wedding. Think not of a budget while you plan— whatever you want is yours.”

Leon blinked at the vampire, unsure what to say. Was Orvar really offering to foot the bill for their entire wedding? He had the means, Leon didn’t question that at all (the man had his own private plane, for fuck’s sake, and owned a multi-million dollar home outright), but he was talking about giving them money for shit they didn’t need, just shit they wanted. It felt wrong, like taking advantage of him, but if they could spend their money on other things besides a wedding…

He glanced at Rita, trying to read her response to the offer and praying she had something more useful to add than the silence he'd contributed so far.

“Becca, you’ve met my mother,” Rita reminded her, “Do you really think either of us would see the light of day again if we just went to the courthouse and eloped?”

Becca smiled at the realization and understanding that, no, no one was going to stop them from having a proper wedding. Even Rita, who would have genuinely been happy to go down to the courthouse and get it done, was starting to allow herself to grow excited about the whole thing. Weddings weren’t easy and they brought quite a bit of stress, but she wanted this for them. She wanted a chance, for once, to just let an entire day be about them and to profess their love in front of everyone they knew and loved. She never thought she would ever see herself married after losing Chase, but it just felt so natural with Leon that she couldn’t help but beam at the chance to spend forever with him.

After all, Rita Alvarez didn’t sound too terrible.

At Orvar’s offer, Rita glanced over at Leon before turning her attention to the vampire standing before them. “Thank you, Orvar,” Rita smiled brightly, giving an answer as Leon awaited her approval, “It means the world to us. And I’m sure my mother will thank you a million times over as well.”

God, what a concept. Orvar and her mother in the same room. Forget Becca’s swooning over fine china and beautiful décor, her mother would faint at the site of his home and the two of them could talk for hours about the smallest, minute details of anything and everything. She would, perhaps, meet her match for once and it would be one hell of a vacation for her father. It was hard not to smile at that, but she also knew that people wanted to feel useful when wedding planning, and while Rita and Leon had plenty of means left from Chase’s estate it really did mean the world that Orvar wanted to help make this as easy of a process as possible. After everything, they all deserved a little ease in their lives.

“The real issue here is going to be getting Nate into a suit,” Rita shot a playful glance at him, “Have you ever heard of a haircut?”

“Ha-ha. Fucking hilarious,” Nate huffed, “Maybe I’ll show up in wolf form, just for you.”

“Well, you’re going to have to look pretty nice,” Rita shrugged, her eyes glancing over at the young witch beaming across the room, “Considering Becca is going to be my maid of honor.”

Becca went from beaming to gaping at Rita. “M-maid of honor? Seriously? Me?” Her hand flew to her chest on her final word, and disbelieving laughter bubbled up from her like the champagne in their glasses. “I— I’ve never been in a wedding before, much less been the maid of honor. I’m not even totally sure what they’re supposed to do,” she said, her eyes growing wide.

“But don’t worry, I’ll figure it out!” She had her phone out in a flash, and swiped and tapped away at it. “Dress shopping? I get to go dress shopping with you? And plan a bridal shower and a bachelorette party?” She glanced at Rita, grinning widely in a way only Becca was capable; the joy damn near took up the entirety of her face. “Aw man, this is going to be so much fun.” She returned her attention to her hands and her fingers flew across the surface of her phone as she backed away to a chair, so absorbed in what she saw that she didn’t even look behind her before she sat down.

Thankfully, her aim was good, and her ass met seat without incident. She didn’t say much else, but periodically she’d make happy little noises, squeaks almost, and gasp as she looked at whatever she looked at. He had a sneaking suspicion Rita may very well have created a new breed of monster to join their ranks. At least she’d be dealing with Rita, not him. Which led him to the realization that he needed the equivalent.

Leon eyed Nate, and Nate eyed him right back.

“Would you do me the honor of being my best man?” Leon asked, his tone overly formal and crisp, but his eyes dancing with a barely restrained smile. “I get it if you don’t think you can be the best, but if you could I don’t know— what do they do?”

“Tuxes and bachelor party,” Becca supplied almost immediately.

“Right,” Leon laughed. “That. As long as you can do that, and ah... stay in human form during the ceremony I think we'll be good.”

He was amused for a few moments as he thought about the over-the-top reactions their families would have if Nate or hell, if any of the werewolves shifted in front of them, but then it transitioned into anxiety as he thought about them knowing the truth of things. Rita's parents and his grandma were all oblivious to the supernatural world hidden just out of view; a world that ran alongside theirs. They didn't know he and Nate were werewolves, Becca was a witch, Orvar was a vampire, or that Rita had been an Enforcer meant to keep all their kind in line. As far as they all knew, they were perfectly normal humans with normal lives, jobs, and aspirations. They'd need to get them through a wedding that'd be filled with supernatural creatures and still have them be oblivious by the end of it.

Thank fuck he wasn't the one planning things.

Last edited:
“My real fear is that I’m too good for your wedding,” Nate scoffed with a shrug but turned an amused eye back to Leon, “but yeah, I guess I can save your ass this one time. If only to see you piss drunk on Bourbon Street.”

Every erupted into warm laughter and Rita noted just how much Nate had grown since they’d met him. She knew that boys were different and that they hit manhood in their own time (arguably later than girls) but even only three years later, Nate looked like a full grown man. He was only twenty one, but Rita could see how his boyish features had hardened into a stronger façade and he had certainly grown stronger after spending so much time with Leon running through the woods and hunting in his wolf form. He had really come into his own and while he was still the loveable jerk they had picked up in the woods, he had really come into his own and had grown to be exactly who Rita had seen in him all those years ago.

They all had, really. Even Becca was so much more than just a timid little witch. She was powerful beyond measure now, lovely and more confident in her strides. Rita saw a bit of herself in her, honestly, as she matured. There was determination and ambition in her eye and Rita knew something about that.

That is going to be the hardest part,” Rita mentioned, “I cannot give my mother the son she always wanted and a heart attack in the same day. We’re going to have to be very keen on how we handle it. Or, well, how I handle it – I just need you four to just stay away from the obvious: shifting in front of her, throwing glassware with magic, accidentally offering her wine that is most certainly not wine...you know, the usual. Same goes for Leon’s grandma, too.”

She knew it went without saying, but she eyed Nate carefully and he threw his hands up. “What?!” he exclaimed, “I’m not gonna shift in front of your parents or Leon’s old lady. When the hell is this happening, anyway?”

“Good,” she said firmly and then looked back to the group, “Well, I’ve planned a wedding in a year, but I think if I got my mom on it, especially once she meets Orvar – six to seven months.”

“Unless that’s too soon?” she glanced up at Leon, but she knew his answer. He probably (judging by their entire relationship) wanted to marry her as soon as she wanted to marry him.

She’d planned her last wedding in a year, but instead of walking down the aisle to her last fiancé, she’d walked into a sterile room and identified his body. Leon worried the longer they took to actually get married, the more time she’d have to worry that she’d lose him exactly like she’d lost Chase. Maybe if the planning was finished in half the time — in six months instead of a year — he’d have less opportunities to die. They lived an unexciting life compared to what they used to, his survival rate had to be pretty good. Despite his insistence he could joke about anything, Leon kept that one to himself and smiled at Rita when she looked at him.

“No,” he said, confirming Rita’s suspicion. “If I could marry you right now and not worry about your mama hunting me down and skinning me, I would. Son she always wanted or not, she’d have my hide.”

He’d wait because he had to, but he suspected he wouldn’t feel at ease until they said ‘I do’ and exchanged rings.

They all talked and drank, and at some point, Orvar approached him and exchanged his empty champagne flute for a tulip-shaped glass filled with bourbon. Leon grinned. Orvar, his own glass of not-wine in hand, remained near. Leon looked at him expectantly.

“Before you depart for the night,” the vampire said, “I wish to make a proposal. You’re in a unique position to help the community. The services you provide as a private investigator could be tailored to the supernatural. If you allow it, I would give your contact information to those who are in need.”

He’d thought he'd be able to make a name for himself and eventually get out of spending his nights staking out cheating spouses, but it looked like Orvar wanted to expedite the process.

“I— Okay. Sure.”

Orvar smiled, briefly revealing his fangs. “Very good. Ah, and before I forget…” The vampire reached into the inside of his suit jacket and extracted an envelope that he passed to Leon. Something within slid to one corner as he took it and Leon frowned.

“It’s a key,” Orvar supplied. “If you accept these clients, it’s best not to invite them into your home office. Your new office is located at the address listed inside.”

Leon’s mouth fell open and he shook his head.

First, the vampire offered to pay for their entire wedding, now he planned to line him up with likely wealthy clients and had given him a building to work out of. Not only that, but he’d arranged it all before he’d even asked — like he’d known Leon wouldn’t refuse.

“Why?” Leon finally managed.

“Why not?” Orvar said and winked.

Leon looked at Rita, his expression still disbelieving, and held the envelope out to her.

“I think we should go before he promises to put all our future kids through college,” he said, laughter on the edge of his voice.

Last edited:
The two of them slipped off quietly into the night after bidding goodbye. Leon was right, she wasn’t sure she could take more hospitality and generosity from Orvar and not feel entirely terrible about it. She remembered when he had his body littered with UV bullets and had choked out something about someone he once loved and it had all sort of just come together since then – the desire to photograph them together naturally, his offer to pay for the wedding, and his hiding in the bushes. She wondered if he was just living vicariously through them, enjoying every step of the way as much as he could for someone who wasn’t experiencing it first-hand. If there was one thing Rita came to know about vampires in her time around Orvar, it was that immortality led to quite a bit of loneliness.

They agreed to go check out the office the next day after Rita returned from the office and the two of them would asses just what it was Orvar was giving Leon and whether Rita could help with set-up or anything. Since their lives had slowed down, the two of them had worked to become functioning members of society and as much as Orvar’s generosity was overwhelming, Rita was happy that Leon was really getting a chance to do this and to help people.

They’d come a long way since that first night in the facility.

The next evening, Rita’s heels clicked against the sidewalk as she approached their beautiful home. Donned in a pencil skirt, long curled locks and purse hung over her shoulder, she clicked up onto the porch before letting herself into the home. It had taken a bit, but slowly they were starting to accumulate a bit of “normal” stuff. Leon’s shoes were always off by the front door where they belonged, but never quite made it onto the mat. The same went for her hair ties and occasional piece of clothing sprawled over the back of a chair or the railing. “Leon!” Rita called out warmly as she elected to keep her shoes on but slipped her purse off to scavenge through the house for her fiancé.

“We’ve got a date with an office, if I remember correctly,” she smiled as she called again, “I know you can hear me with those ears of yours. You heard my heels a mile away, you always do.”

She was right. The windows were all closed, the air conditioning was going full blast, but he’d heard the distinct sound of her heels through the white noise before she’d even opened the gate to their house. He smiled when her keys jingled and the front door opened and shut behind her. While she'd been at work, he'd started packing up his things, readying himself to make a transition he’d thought was still another couple of years away.

A while back, when they’d discussed what the next phase of their life would look like after all the shit had died down with the Enforcers, they’d talked about getting a house together and finding jobs that suited them. Rita had her career in public relations that she’d been able to fall back to, and had immediately considered charity work. He, on the other hand, had an extensive history in customer service — from working the register at a winery back in his hometown to waiting tables in the city he’d met Rita in. He wanted to help people, but he wanted it to be more than making sure their drinks were topped off.

He’d considered using his werewolf nose and ability to track to become a private investigator, maybe even start up his own business, and Rita had been on board immediately. Throughout, while he’d gone back to school and earned his certification, and applied for his business license, she’d been nothing but supportive.

Leon placed the last picture from his desk into a cardboard box that sat nearby, one of a grinning Rita he’d taken when he’d bought his first fancy camera. Nothing remained to place within, so he closed the cardboard flaps and left his office to greet her. No matter how many times she returned home in her work attire, in skirts that hugged her curves and heels that made her hips sway just so when she walked, he couldn’t resist the impulse to catch her up in his arms and pull her close to him.

“Mmhm,” he mumbled into her neck, kissing her there before he lifted his head to kiss her cheek, then lips. He made noise about wanting an appointment with her, but there wasn’t much daylight left to see the outside of his new office building with, so he reluctantly extracted himself from Rita to run upstairs to grab his box, then back down to slide his shoes on.

The address Orvar had listed was close enough that they could’ve walked if they’d wanted, but New Orleans humidity wasn’t something he wanted to remain long in, so they elected to go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car. They pulled up to a small white building that looked more house than business on a lot surrounded by a wrought iron fence. It had columns, big windows with shutters, and a door with a big glass panel. Leon didn’t know much about architecture, but he was struck by how nice the building was. Respectable. It was respectable, so his business would be seen that way, too.

Until they met his only employee, anyway.

The inside was just as nice as the outside, with wall-to-wall dark wooden floors and molding at the bottoms and tops of the walls. He’d thought he’d have to move the entirety of his office over to the new building, but Orvar had yet again gone above and beyond, filling every room he could see from where he stood next to Rita with furniture and tasteful decorations. The front area would act as a waiting room, and there were two doors that led to rooms that had desks and chairs — offices for him and Nate.

“Jesus Christ,” he said. “I keep thinking he can't be more generous, but then he does something like this.”

Last edited:
It was a beautiful building. Rita had come to realize that most buildings in New Orleans were, in fact, beautiful but there was something charming and respectable about the white building Orvar had acquired for Leon. It was so much – god, Orvar had given them so much – but Rita knew that this was something Orvar felt like he had to do. For what reason, she wasn’t entirely sure, but she wouldn’t argue. They had their dream home, a future ahead of them, and this was a huge step for Leon. He had never really done much except for customer service and this building was going to give him a chance to work in the field he worked so hard to get into. Long nights of studying and hard work had gotten him here and he deserved every moment of this.

“He’s definitely something else, sometimes,” Rita laughed but kept her eyes drawn to the walls and tasteful décor of the main lobby, “but this is beautiful, Leon. All of it.”

She could see it now – his name on the door, clients in the lobby, both him and Nate working from their respective office. It was a real business and if all of this generosity from Orvar proved anything, it was that the gracious vampire would not go without sending a few clients Leon’s way. After all, he helped lead a well know, elusive group of rogue supernaturals who sought to exist outside the confines of the facility or any supernatural detention center in the country. He had to have some contacts that needed a bit of private investigating.

“Even Nate gets his own office,” Rita smiled, “Bet he’ll be insufferable after he finds that one out.”

Rita flicked on the lights and the room lit up as the sun outside disappeared on the horizon. Neither of them had eaten much of anything yet and they would have the whole day the next day to play around in here, considering Rita could essentially make her own hours. But it was nice though, standing there hand in hand looking at what their future had brought them. A few years ago, she would have never put any stock in a life outside of facility control, but here they were.

They had come so far, and they had a gorgeous ring, a beautiful home, and two solid jobs to prove it.

Rita was just about to open her mouth when she heard the door chime behind them and a pair of heels click onto the hardwood that were not her own. Rita turned and glanced up at the woman standing before them. “Hi,” Rita said warmly though her expression was muddled with confusion, “Can we help you?”

Leon snorted a laugh when he considered how Nate would react. An office of his own would probably go to his head, and Leon could see him using it as yet another reason he should be allowed to go out on jobs with him. It was easy to imagine: Nate would lean back in his chair, kick his feet up on his desk, then declare that Orvar thought he was important enough to have an office of his own, and that meant he was important enough to not sit on his ass pushing paper all day. Given that it was likely he’d be taking on more challenging cases than camping out in hotel parking lots for hours on end, Leon knew he might have to reconsider, but they could cross that bridge when they came to it.

He held Rita’s hand in his, smiling as he awaited what words would follow her intake of breath, but the door chimed and his attention swung to the woman who entered. Her dress — short, tight, and black, with a plunging neckline that left little to the imagination — combined with heavy makeup that couldn’t quite mask how young she was, made him think she was a displaced clubber who’d been attracted by the light, but she clicked her way to them in golden strapped heels with a liquid grace and assuredness that was well beyond her age. Her eyes, rimmed thickly with black stuff that made the blue of them all the brighter, moved from him to Rita after she stopped a few steps away, and one dark eyebrow lifted in sync with one corner of her blood red lips.

“Mr. and Mrs. Alvarez, I presume,” she said with an English accent; prim and proper. Leon would’ve been less surprised if she’d hit them with a slurred request to use their bathroom with a Southern accent, but she wasn’t drunk, she wasn’t from the area, and she knew who he was.

“Not yet, but soon,” Leon said with a tiny squeeze of Rita’s hand. The woman tilted her head towards him.

“Oh, is that so? Not married?” Her gaze went to Rita’s left hand and the brilliant green engagement ring on her finger. “Interesting.”

“O-kay,” he drawled. “So, was there something we can do for you?“

“Yes, yes. Of course. That’s why I’m here.” She fluttered a hand to her chest and shook her head, sending her long hair flying. “Orvar referred me. My name is Catherine. I’ve misplaced my fledgling and I need your assistance finding her.”

She didn’t mean she’d lost a baby bird. Vampires, when they wanted to create another of their kind, would take a human, drain them almost entirely of blood, then feed them theirs. It was a crude sort of transfusion, and it would turn the human into a baby vampire — a fledgling. According to Orvar, the name had taken off because like baby birds, a new vampire was insatiable and inexperienced, requiring much attention from their maker, else they usually did something stupid like try to eat everyone in sight.

Catherine had lost hers.

“Alright,” Leon said, heaving a sigh. He asked for a recent picture, her last location, and some clue where she might’ve gone, but he had a hard time getting that information from Catherine when she wouldn’t stop staring at Rita to answer. “Look, ma’am... Catherine. I can’t help if you won’t talk to me.”

Still, she was unresponsive. Leon looked at Rita, his expression a mixture of frustration and disbelief. Was this lady for real?

Last edited:
Fledgling.

Immediately Rita’s thoughts went to her and Leon’s encounter with their first vampire. It had tried to go after her, it had bit Leon and recoiled back out of distaste, but more than anything it was lethal and incredibly fast. It certainly wasn’t the easiest first case, but if there was anyone who could find the young vampire, it was Leon. Rita had the utmost faith. She had all but resided to giving the conversation over to Leon when she realized that Catherine was not responding to any of Leon’s questions. It caused Rita to look up, but she hardly expected to see Catherine’s eyes on her.

Did she really smell that much like a human?

Or perhaps it was something else. To be honest, Rita had not spent much time around vampires with good reason. Young vampires were lethal to humans and there was no way in hell Leon would allow her to just hang out with a bunch of vampires they didn’t know. Not that Leon dictated any part of her life, but it was a natural instinct. Even Orvar had gone overboard drinking her blood once and he was about as in control as a vampire could get. It was a tricky business, but she certainly felt like a meal watching Catherine watch her.

“Why don’t we sit?” Rita gestured for the two loveseats in the waiting area of the office. As her heels clicked to move, so did Catherine’s and the three managed to gain some ground. Once they were seated, Rita smiled cordially and glanced up, “Catherine, in order to find your fledgling, Leon needs something to go off of – anything, really. Is there any information you can give that would help him pinpoint where your fledgling might be?”

Predatory. That was the word for the way Catherine looked at Rita. Not once, not even as she’d sat down, had Catherine taken her eyes from Rita. Her expression was pleasant enough, but something in her eyes told of a hunger that left unchecked, would result in Rita being attacked. Maybe that was why she wouldn’t answer him— because she couldn’t eat him. Well, she could, but apparently werewolf blood tasted like ass to a vampire, and why bother with him when there was a better option available? He felt the until then latent beast stir and he sat up ramrod straight next to Rita as she spoke to Catherine. Rita wasn’t an idiot, she knew damn good and well what it meant to have a vampire that wasn’t Orvar in the room with her, yet she handled her professionally and without the scowl he wore.

“There is,” Catherine said immediately. Leon shook his head, but was grateful RIta was able to make progress where he hadn’t. “I have her phone.” She had a gold purse tucked under one arm until she extracted it and withdrew a slender phone from its interior. To his surprise, after she tapped around on the screen a bit, she passed it to him (though it was worth noting she hadn’t looked at him to do so).

Leon popped over to her pictures first, wanting to confirm what her fledgling looked like, but the first batch of photos he went through were of Catherine. His eyebrows shot up. She was naked in most of them, posed seductively and, yeah, definitely naked. Leon wasn’t squeamish when it came to nudity, per se, but with his future wife sitting next to him and the naked woman in the photos sitting across from him, he flipped through them as quickly as he could until he finally reached an image that wasn’t of Catherine.

“Is this her?” Leon asked, turning the phone for Catherine to see, but the vampire didn't look at him. Leon cleared his throat. “Catherine? Is this your fledgling?” He spoke slowly, with a slightly raised voice — much like people did when they spoke to someone hard of hearing. But he didn’t think she truly had any difficulty hearing him. Hell, the way Orvar talked, a vampire could hear a conversation taking place clear across a baseball field if they tried. It took Rita intervening again, pulling the attention from her to the phone he still held out, for Catherine to confirm the blonde girl in the photo was, in fact, her fledgling.

“Her name is Taylor. She’s quite lovely,” she told Rita. “Her eyes are green, too. Not as pretty as yours, of course, but close.” She tapped her chin. “Hmm, what else? She loves clubs. It’s where we met, actually.” Catherine’s eyes grew lidded and she smirked in a not-entirely-present-in-the-moment sort of way. “Fantastic dancer. She’s a ballerina, you know.”

“Didn’t, actually,” Leon intoned as he continued flipping through the photos.

“Do you enjoy dancing?” Catherine asked Rita.

Last edited:
It was an uncomfortable situation even for Rita who spent most of her life mediating uncomfortable situations. Hell, she had worked in supernatural human relations for quite some time (though not since the fall of the facility) but there was something about Catherine’s presence that unnerved her. Rita knew better than to let it show, but deep down there was a slight fear of what would happen if the elastic tension in the room were to snap. If Taylor was her fledgling, that meant Catherine changed her recently, and Rita had no way of knowing if that was just Catherine’s way or if Taylor was actually special to her. Given the way she spoke of clubs and dancing, it didn’t seem anything more than just a lusty encounter which coupled with the stark naked photos on Taylor’s phone, set up a pretty clear overall picture.

But she wouldn’t even so much as speak to Leon unless Rita repeated his question and she watched as the woman took in the sight of her.

Do you enjoy dancing?

Rita glanced up from Leon’s phone to Catherine as she processed exactly what the woman was asking her. So that was it then – it wasn’t that she just drawn to humans, but she was actually flirting with Rita. It was flattering, of course, but the way Catherine looked at her didn’t make her feel inclined to do anything but stay at Leon’s side. “I do,” Rita started, her words warm and kind, “and while I appreciate the attention and compliments, Taylor has to be our first priority if we’re going to find her. In order to do that, we have to know when and where you saw her last. If you have her phone, I assume her disappearance was rather sudden. Do you have any theories as to why she left? It may give us a better idea about where she would go.”

To be honest, Rita wasn’t painting a great picture in her head. For a woman to disappear without her phone meant a fast exit and while she did not want to assume anything about Catherine, she did seem a bit off. There was a dominance and air of control that just exuded from her pores and drenched her every word. Fledglings had urges to feed, too, far stronger than older vampires but Rita still couldn’t see Taylor going out without her phone – especially if she was as young as the photos suggested. Despite her doubts, her demeanor was unchanged and Rita worked as she always did speaking with difficult clients but she knew that a woman like Catherine would not like the attention shifted off Rita and herself to Taylor.

Though there was something in Rita that knew this was not the last time she would face Catherine’s advances. There was just something about her. Something that Rita couldn’t quite read, yet.

Suddenly, it made perfect sense why Catherine had ignored him entirely after she'd gotten a good look at Rita. The hunger he'd picked up on hadn't just been for blood. His lips twitched as he paused thumbing through photos to glance at Rita. She responded to the vampire's question with way more grace and dignity than he would've ever managed if their positions had been swapped.

Catherine cocked her head to the side and pouted; it looked like an often practiced pose with as smoothly as she'd slipped into it. “Only because you're the one asking," the vampire said coyly. "The last I saw her was at my home, shortly after I turned her. My theory,” she paused, Leon assumed, for dramatic effect, “is the poor dear went mad.” Her black-rimmed eyes grew wide and her fingertips went to the edge of her collarbone. “Screaming, crying, yelling. I tried to calm her, but she was inconsolable.” She lowered her hand again, then uncrossed her legs to lean forward. The motion had also revealed what little her dress had left to the imagination and Leon averted his eyes. Her voice was barely above a whisper as she continued, “Some humans don't take to the change, unfortunately. Such a waste.”

“A waste?” Leon asked before he remembered that speaking to Catherine was pointless, but the vampire straightened and aimed a look of confusion his way.

“What else would it be? Fledglings that don't make it through the process intact cannot be fixed. She'll have to be taken care of, else she'll roam about feeding from and very likely killing every human she encounters. Do you want us to be discovered?”

“No, I don't,” he responded stiffly. “But I'm not going to just 'take care of her' before I find out for sure if she's too far gone or not.” Taylor deserved a chance to prove she wasn't broken beyond repair. The pictures he'd gone through told of a young woman with a big family, lots of friends, and a little dog that she liked to dress up (the dog didn't seem to get as much enjoyment out of it as she did). She was a person, still. Although he knew fledglings were unpredictable and insatiable, he also knew that given the chance and guidance, they could grow beyond that. Arguably, Catherine hadn't, but Orvar had.

“Hm. Very well, but don't delay. Lives are at stake,” said Catherine gravely. Leon wondered if he would've been more inclined to believe her concern for human lives went beyond her own interests if she didn't switch from one mode to the next as quickly as she did. She'd hopped from sad to flirty, then overly concerned to overly confused, then back again to concerned. He could barely keep track.

With a flutter of her eyelashes, a promise that she'd be delighted to take Rita dancing once the whole ordeal was with Taylor was over, the vampire left her contact information and departed the office.

Leon sat quietly for as long as he imagined it'd take Catherine to walk the length of a baseball field, then he snickered and nudged Rita with his elbow a few times. “She liiiiked you,” he said, in a singsong, teasing way usually reserved for children. "I figured she wanted to eat you because, y'know, human and all, but," he waggled his eyebrows at her, "suppose she likes you in a skirt as much as I do."

Last edited:
Catherine left as quickly as she arrived and Rita was already reeling through her own thoughts. There was something here that wasn’t quite sitting right with her, but Leon’s words pulled her out of her own mind and a playful scoff left her lips. “You can tease me all you want, but only one of us was looking at naked pictures of another woman next to their fiancé,” Rita teased with a smile and nudged him. She looked over Catherine’s information before sitting forward on the couch and tossing her brown hair to the side. There was so much to consider here and Rita trusted Leon’s instincts without fail, but there was just something off.

“Listen, I may have been out of the game for a while now,” Rita started, “but there is something about her that was really, really unnerving. Not just predatory, either. Just – a complete lack of regard for human life beyond the novelty of turning them into fledglings. My guess? If Taylor left without her phone, she doesn’t want to be found.”

“That being said,” she exhaled, “if it’s only been a few days since Catherine turned her, she’s at her most volatile right now and there are a lot of lives at risk. You remember that fledgling we saw back in the city, right? Fast, strong, and insatiable. Just – be careful with this one, okay?”

Rita knew that vampires loathed the taste of werewolf blood, but this wasn’t about taste. This was about an insatiable need to feed constantly and just because a fledgling didn’t pose the same fatal threat to a werewolf as it did to a human, Leon and Nate could get hurt if they didn’t find a way to lure her out correctly. If she was attacked or felt threatened, they would be fucked. They were strong in wolf form, hell even when they weren’t wolves, but a fledgling willing to do anything to stay away from the one place they were trying to drag her back to? That was a risk for anyone.

“Maybe pick Orvar’s brain about it. He’s gotta know something about dealing with fledglings. More than I do, at least. I’m just plain old public relations now,” she laughed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back