• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy 𝙩𝙤 𝙠𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙖 𝙢𝙖𝙣. - [1𝙭1]

you look stupid with those on.
sybil.
Sybil was hyper aware of every movement Knox dared to make in her presence. When his jaw worked itself in a gaped position, she only narrowed her eyes and worked a frown upon her lips. A moment later, and the flush red hue she had become accustomed to seeing on his ears made its signature appearance once more. Her arms remained crossed as she continued to balance his blade on her lap, though she had grown bored of the weight in the few short minutes of holding. Letting out a slight huff as Knox worked his jaw shut and stuttered out a few curse words, she carelessly let the blade slide to the side and clatter to the floor. As long as it didn't cut her, she didn’t care about the condition of his weapon.

"I mean, of course it's nothing but scribbles to you. I shouldn't have assumed you could read our language just because you speak it so well... My complacency is to blame."

The frown that had been resting on her visage deepened even further, and her narrowed eyes turned to a sharp glare. What did he mean by of course? A loud ‘tsk’ sounded as she uncrossed her arms, half-tempted to grab a fistful of his hair to give it a good yank. The tongue on this man was audacious and impudent. He was clearly being sarcastic with her, giving just how clunky she spoke his language. It would be far easier to slip back into her native tongue, but it seemed unwise to speak it anywhere on this cursed ship.

Though her lips parted to snap back a harsh rebuttal, she quickly worked them shut as the journal was once more opened and slid towards her. A noise akin to a growl began to rumble in her throat, convinced that Knox was simply doing this to mock her. However, the noise soon died out as he dragged his chair closer to her own. He slid...something onto his face, though Sybil was unsure of their purpose. She had seen humans wear them before, but she never exactly cared about them either. Before she could even ask what he was doing, her attention was drawn back to the journal as he began to trace over the scribbles with a pen.

Oh good. He was going to read to her.

Like she was a child.

Letting out a loud huff that was more than obvious, Sybil opted to remain silent and to re-cross her arms in contempt. She knew was being childish about the entire situation, but she didn’t exactly have the bandwidth to react appropriately. They weren’t scribbles on the pages; They were the actual written words of his language that she had failed to learn. She was no better than a common villager on land, forced to rely on those more educated for basic needs. Making a moment of brief eye-contact with him when he glanced up at her, she just widened her gaze a bit and motioned for him to continue reading. The last thing she needed at the moment was for him to pay more attention to her than needed.

Her attitude quickly vanished as he began to speak of attack patterns, however. In an instant, the pissy look on her face had shifted into something far more intrigued, and she leaned forward to peer a bit more closely at the pages. It hadn’t exactly dawned on her that humans would track their attack patterns. They rarely managed to kill sirens, so why would it matter where they showed up?

Tilting her head a bit to the side, Sybil only scoffed and waved one hand dismissively. Without missing a beat, she reached out to snatch his glasses, her lips already moving as she did.
“Vopreli royals are not exactly good at secrets. Scea Mryai is a fishing town that no one cares for. Vopreli thinks that the way to defeat the sirens involves sacrifice for the greater good. They send out bait ships to lure sirens in hopes of catching one for research, but it never works. You would have heard about it by now if it did,” she said casually, holding up the glasses to one eye to peer through the glass. A snort of laughter followed soon after, the woman clearly entertained by his spectacles. The information she had just divulged seemed obvious. Weaker sirens often traveled to Scea Mryai for easy pickings, taking a sick joy in the bait boats.

“If I were the Captain of a ship dedicated to killing sirens,” she continued, holding the glasses up above her head and to the light as she spoke. “I would look to where no sirens attack. To wear sirens can not attack. You best hope your contact in Jiuy Isles knows much about the secrets of Glaesia.”

Finally lowering her hands to place the glasses upon her face, another bout of laughter slipped out as she widened her eyes and squinted them. She looked over to Knox, leaning back a bit as she tried to adjust her gaze to her new accessory. “I have heard of the Jiuy Isles and their stupid festivals. I am not surprised you seem excited for them,” she quipped, before waving her hand near his face to try and gauge how distance worked with the frames.

“These are terrible for vision. Why would you wear such a stupid item?”
  • outfit

coded by reveriee.
[/border[/b

i'm sure she'll change her tune soon...
knox.
knox slightly flinched when sybil leaned forward into his space to get a closer look at the journal, surprised by the sudden movement given her volatile past, but tried his best not to let the momentary discomfort interrupt his train of thought. she didn't seem to care at all either way, hooked on his words once he began to detail the findings of his research thus far.

she certainly had a valid point about the vopreli royals' unconventional methods of handling the sirens' aggression in their waters, but that tidbit wasn't much of a secret to the captain either given his information network. that particular royal family was notorious for weaponizing the local faith to carry out their own wily designs, so he didn't doubt for a second that some sort of deeper, darker secret was motivating them to act so callously, one he hardly wished to become involved with himself— what did come as a surprise, however, was the cursory mention of glaesia amidst this discussion with no further clarification as to why such a desolate, uninvolved location might hold the answers to his questions.

"hm, is that so..."
glaesia. his father had mentioned that frigid land in passing a number of times throughout his youth, but it wasn't until he attented the academy and studied its ecology that he understood why no one dared colonize that corner of the world— between the unforgiving weather conditions, hostile wildlife, and lack of fertile soil, it simply wasn't worth it no matter how much gold they invested in terraforming the region. if what they were searching for truly resided in such a land, then they'd certainly need to return to salona to prepare for the brutal climate before taking on that leg of the journey.

knox found himself so invested in the shift in conversation that he hardly even noticed sybil snatching the glasses clean off his face until she held them up to her own eyes, her amused snort interrupting the tense topic. meanwhile, his gaze followed the sloping planes of her neck as she leaned back to observe his glasses in the light, intrigued and impressed by the ease with which she seamlessly pieced together her pre-existing knowledge with the intel he'd just provided. maybe taking her in as a consultant would prove fruitful after all...

“these are terrible for vision. why would you wear such a stupid item?”

a small grin returned to his lips as sybil's hands hovered in the air in front of her face, evidently baffled by the odd contraption that had no chance of working on her no matter how she adjusted it.
"probably because they're custom made for my eyes to help me read smaller text, though they give me a headache if i wear them too long."
he paused for a moment as he wondered whether it would be considered overstepping to call a physician to assess sybil's vision before shaking the thought from the forefront of his mind and moving on to her unfounded yet apparent distaste for festivals.

“i have heard of the jiuy isles and their stupid festivals. i am not surprised you seem excited for them."

"what a harsh judgment for something you haven't experienced for yourself,"
knox mused with a raised eyebrow, leaning back in his chair at long last with an uninvested shrug,
"but if you really would rather stay on the ship by yourself than fill your belly with local delicacies and party on the beach, then suit yourself. i won't make you do anything stupid if you don't want to."
his words were obviously bait, no less than a provocation of her ability to remain open-minded in the face of a new challenge, but he wasn't actually all that invested in coercing her to join him for the festivities if she wasn't interested— given their interactions until then, she would probably become an added source of stress more than anything if she did choose to tag along.
  • outfit

coded by reveriee.

you look stupid with those on.
sybil.
Letting out a scoff at the mention of his eye device being custom made, she opted to remove the glasses and haphazardly dangle them back over to Knox. She equally didn’t bother to confirm if he had actually gotten a hold on the spectacles before she let go, her attention already drawn elsewhere as she rolled her gaze away with a rather loud yawn. Though it would have admittedly been funny to see the two glass frames smash on the floor, she wasn’t willing to put in the effort to be purposefully antagonistic at the moment. She’d have to save her energy for a more opportune moment. Still, her eyes rolled back over to Knox, squinting a bit before parting her lips to finally speak.

“I see what you are trying to do. I never said I was not going to the festival with you, just that I find it stupid and mindless. Partying on the beach on an isle…” She scoffed, tilting her head a bit to observe Knox as she continued on. “Why would anyone want to party on a beach when sirens are lurking right beneath the waves? I already question why you sail on this ship in an asinine quest, but at least you have some sort of purpose. Others have no purpose in life. No worries,” she huffed out, uncrossing her arms to push herself into a standing position. Another yawn threatened to overtake her body, and she moved her hand over her mouth to cover it. Once the yawn had been stifled, Sybil twisted her back a bit and stretched her arms above her head. While she stretched often under the waves, it was always a weightless movement. A low groan left her lips as a satisfying pop sounded from her back, before she turned away from the table the two had just been seated at.

Without another word, she began to walk towards Knox’s bed. Her hands were making quick work of unbuttoning the top she wore, hardly batting an eyelash at the situation she was putting herself in. It was still amusing how quickly the red overtook Knox’s face whenever she undressed.

“We will go to the isle and meet with your informant. Hopefully we are not wasting precious time on this trip,” she said as she stripped, her back facing Knox. The top dropped unceremoniously to the floor, leaving her bare skin exposed to the world once more. A visible shiver moved down her spine at the brush of cold air, her body having grown used to the garments in such a short period of wearing them. Still, she couldn’t deny how nice it felt to take it all off again. The plush covers of his bed were calling to her, and she didn’t much care about the opinion of the man sitting behind her as she practically dove under the thick blankets.

Turning to face Knox once again, Sybil simply blinked slowly at the Captain. Heavy lashes brushed against her cheeks, and a small smirk seemed to grace her lips before she flipped over in the bed and left her back to Knox. Seems like she was comfortable for the night.

---

The next week or so of travel were odd to say the least. Although Sybil mostly kept to herself when possible, it was hard to deny how often she seemed to shadow behind the Captain as he went about his duties. Though she often refused conversation with the other members of the crew, there was a rare occasion when she’d grace their ears with a snarky remark off to the side.

When the ship finally docked at the Isles, there was a wave of relief that seemed to wash over the crew. To finally put their feet back on solid ground and enjoy a fresh meal. Perhaps they’d even find themselves entertained for the evening, if they were lucky.

Of course, this feeling was mutual for everyone but Sybil.

Staring down the plank of the ship, Sybil could only screw her lips in a frown. Near the bottom, Knox was attempting to coax her off the ship, though his words were falling on deaf ears. She was deaf to the outside world, only able to hear the thoughts racing through her mind.

The last time she had dragged herself onto land, it was to rip out Knox’s heart. She had been staring down at him, so close to her goal. And yet…she had failed. A failure that followed her years later as she rotted away as a human, staring down at the man who she had intended to kill.

A scoff visibly left her lips, before the woman began her light jog down the plank. Picking up a bit of momentum unintentionally, she barreled past Knox and straight off the deck into the sandy beach a foot or so below. A loud ‘oomf’ sounded, but it seemed she had survived.

• outfit

coded by reveriee.
[/border[/b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back