Other Time for a RPN rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordvader59

Three Thousand Club
Hello everyone! Today, I have but one question. Why in the hell is RPN overrun with such terrible RPS. I mean 95%+ of these RPS fall into one of the following: Romance, Anime, Highschool, werewolf, zombie survival, vampire, pop music, murder mystery, or something of a similar level of BS. Not only am I looking for your opinions and answers, but for those who share my viewpoint to band together and make RPs that DONT suck... please?

One reason: People like these kind of roleplays. I'll agree with you that I don't like werewolves, zombies, vampires, or murder mysteries (And high school roleplays don't make much sense to me, so don't get me started on that). But people enjoy these types, so they'll make and participate in them.

For example, for a lot of my 1 on 1 RPs I tend to prefer a casual thing that doesn't require too much thought in order to follow. So I choose Romance as my preferred 1x1, but if any partners have other ideas I won't argue with them. I like to see what other people can come up with.

In group RPs, however, I prefer something that's more concrete and in-depth than that. Some kind of overarching plot with a definite goal that, once reached, will definitively end the RP. Romance doesn't make much sense for that, so I tend to avoid Romance group RPs.

Just my thoughts, though.

Edit: There's a saying for this, as well. "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Last edited by a moderator:
LegoLad659 said:
One reason: People like these kind of roleplays. I'll agree with you that I don't like werewolves, zombies, vampires, or murder mysteries (And high school roleplays don't make much sense to me, so don't get me started on that). But people enjoy these types, so they'll make and participate in them.
For example, for a lot of my 1 on 1 RPs I tend to prefer a casual thing that doesn't require too much thought in order to follow. So I choose Romance as my preferred 1x1, but if any partners have other ideas I won't argue with them. I like to see what other people can come up with.

In group RPs, however, I prefer something that's more concrete and in-depth than that. Some kind of overarching plot with a definite goal that, once reached, will definitively end the RP. Romance doesn't make much sense for that, so I tend to avoid Romance group RPs.

Just my thoughts, though.

Edit: There's a saying for this, as well. "One man's trash is another man's treasure"
I understand very well that people enjoy those. I don't hate their existence. I hate that they are the only type of RPs on this site. I cant find any alternatives so I'm stuck cruising around and grabbing those that catch my eye. That 5% I mentioned in my first post, that's what we need more of. 1x1 RPs I understand being about Romance. In fact, it's one of the only two uses I can think of for 1x1 (The other being duels, which are carried out in pvp section.)

Lordvader59 said:
I understand very well that people enjoy those. I don't hate their existence. I hate that they are the only type of RPs on this site. I cant find any alternatives so I'm stuck cruising around and grabbing those that catch my eye. That 5% I mentioned in my first post, that's what we need more of. 1x1 RPs I understand being about Romance. In fact, it's one of the only two uses I can think of for 1x1 (The other being duels, which are carried out in pvp section.)
Right. I never thought about duels before xD Probably because I suck at combat.

But anyway, yeah, it does kinda suck that those are the only types of RPs out there. The only thing you can really do at that point is make your own, and hope that enough people chip in so it takes off and does well ( :) ) You could even involve a group of friends you know are reliable and would be interested to increase its longevity as well. I'm trying this out with my most recent group RP now, as a matter of fact (Disclaimer: I have yet to actually start the RP in question, so this is largely theory. Make of it what you will.)

LegoLad659 said:
Right. I never thought about duels before xD Probably because I suck at combat.
But anyway, yeah, it does kinda suck that those are the only types of RPs out there. The only thing you can really do at that point is make your own, and hope that enough people chip in so it takes off and does well ( :) ) You could even involve a group of friends you know are reliable and would be interested to increase its longevity as well. I'm trying this out with my most recent group RP now, as a matter of fact (Disclaimer: I have yet to actually start the RP in question, so this is largely theory. Make of it what you will.)
I have done that, as a matter of fact, and my WWII RP lasted for a good 20 weeks in Nation Building before dieing, and it is now being revived. I am using my friends from other sites to try to jumpstart my RPs... but I can only do so much.

Lordvader59 said:
I have done that, as a matter of fact, and my WWII RP lasted for a good 20 weeks in Nation Building before dieing, and it is now being revived. I am using my friends from other sites to try to jumpstart my RPs... but I can only do so much.
Yep, that's true. It's an unfortunate fact that the majority of RPs die despite everything we do.

Another theory of mine is that, in addition to having the reliable group of friends, it could also help to have a plot that is capable of running with only those friends in play (Even if it's not ideal). Then other people can come and go as they like, and it should work pretty well.

(Again, haven't tested this yet.)

As one of the (Most likely) Few people to love military rp here, I have the same question too.

It is rather annoying to see so much high school knight in shining armour stuff around here instead of something new.

Arion said:
As one of the (Most likely) Few people to love military rp here, I have the same question too.
It is rather annoying to see so much high school knight in shining armour stuff around here instead of something new.
Right. I mean, wouldn't it be far more interesting to see what military life might actually be like without actually being in the military yourself?

Instead of, you know. The hell that was high school. Uh??

The only thing I remember from the 11th grade was,

[media]

[/media]
Sooo, Yeah.

Wasn't even sex.

It was just me and a friend staring at two squirrels humping each other in a tree while at lunch. so gg.

I even remember the conversation we had about it.

While I personally am not a fan of such roleplays, and I may not be one to talk (considering I've been inactive on here since around Autumn of last year), all of these are very viable settings/genres for professional stories, especially romance. Romance is a huge genre of storytelling, and thus it honestly shouldn't be that surprising or detestable that people would roleplay such stories. Now, the same goes for werewolf, zombie survival, and vampire. While these tend to be a bit generic and sometimes have a bad reputation in current pop culture, werewolves and vampires are still a classic form of supernatural beings in fantasy writing and have been for a long time. These things mostly get a bad reputation from Twilight and other unpopular movies and television series. Additionally, while zombie survival is personally one of my least favorites due to what I perceive as monotony and cut-and-paste stories, you can see clearly through the popular show The Walking Dead that it's in no way a highly frowned-upon type of story, and thus people are going to roleplay it. Anyway, my main point is that all of these things are popular and very viable, real ways of telling stories. While I do somewhat side with you on the matter, I don't think you should have phrased it in quite the way you did in the original post so as to shame those who like these types of roleplays. In any case, murder mystery? I'm extremely curious as to why you have such a negative outlook on murder mystery stories. They're a classic type of story, and mystery stories are in no way bad - Sherlock Holmes and other famous characters would surely attest to that.

I'll just end this post with a quick note about highschool roleplays. They have a really bad reputation, and while I for one am not exactly a huge fan of them, it's a perfectly viable setting for a story. Writers are told to write what we know, and highschool is something we can all relate to and remember, thus it's the go-to scenario (besides, most of our members are probably in highschool currently). While it's usually seen as a lazy setting, it's good for casually roleplaying to deal with some stress or just have fun, which is what roleplaying is all about. Highschool roleplays do typically have many one-liners and beginning roleplayers, however like I said, it's a relatable setting and thus the easiest for roleplayers to handle.

(I do digress that seeing these all the time on the site is a bit frustrating, one of the reasons I haven't been here in a while, and I would also love to see more of the really exciting roleplays I used to see a lot back when I joined. I do also realize what I said is basically what has already been established, however I figured if you asked for my opinion, you're going to get it.)

Think of it like this.

If RpN was a radio station, the roleplays you just described would be the songs that get played the most. They're like the pop music of the website.

@Lordvader59

Whatever we do, this site will always be primarily ruled by stale RPs. The ones that bother me the most, are RPs that have age limits, or are mainly populated by teenage characters, and almost always, these characters will have a perfect physique and flawless features, I mean, there are rows of characters whose body structure defines as athletic.

While this setting are indeed professional ones, except for the high school one. Most people tend to fail or derail whilst trying to come up with a good, composed plotline or theme, and as such, tries to go for the less riskiest, AKA the ones that they know will succeed. It's either that or they're just plain stupid, or lack a human heart.

All my attempts at gritty, 80's commando RPs are somewhat always greeted by failure. Despite all my attempts to make it as appealing and fancy as possible. It's a bad time in RPN to be fans of military RPs, or that's what I'm seeing here.

Whenever I submit an old guy into an RP that doesn't seem to have an age limit, he gets shot down because he's 'too old' and cause there's this 'hidden' age limit the GM forgot to mention.

I mean, they're trying to jam 'teenage' vibes into literally every possible things they could find. Once, there was this RP that featured the government recruiting
13-15 year old people into the United States Marine Corps, despite the fact that it certainly crosses over federal laws. I mean, why??? Why 13??? What's the appeal in playing as a 13 year old awkward post-pubescent kid??? Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With that, I conclude my rant. Now, time for some business. So, many here share a similar viewpoint, kudos to the creator for assembling similar players, so why aren't we banding together and creating an RP of our own? One that possibly should as well be a smack to those unoriginal creations.

I always wanted to create a retro-futuristic RP about a time travelling squad, full of only the most hardened and experienced soldiers, including absurdly unique ones such as psychic soldiers and guys that reek of toxic waste, or to rephrase that, toxic
gold.

But alas! That is a dream that's never going to see the light, wholly because of some sad-ass punks who're filled to the brim with fantasies of their high schools (note: that's actually 95% of RPN), and that's the kind of thought that makes me
vomit.

Certainly meaning now offense to people who regularly make or attend stale RPs, but I can't resist the need to say:

Fuck you, you shouldn't even be here in the first place.

Is anyone down for a rebellion-type rp? I haven't found one that is about a rebellion, and I find them rather fun.

Start off small, grow to be big and overthrow a giant government.

TeaMMatE11 said:
Is anyone down for a rebellion-type rp? I haven't found one that is about a rebellion, and I find them rather fun.
Start off small, grow to be big and overthrow a giant government.
I've tried to do one like that... gave up due to lack of interest from others.

I would join...

Arn3m said:
I've tried to do one like that... gave up due to lack of interest from others.
Lol.

Well...if we're a dedicated group, you could take another stab at it.

That's cliche, man. You gotta spice it up a bit.

So, my concept pitch is:

In an utopian America in the distant future, the government has advanced far enough to develop a rigid society system, wherein all fellow citizens are classed as either inferior or superior, determined by their lineage and birth. However, there's basically no differences between the superior and the inferior in terms of technology, economy or individual rights, except for that the superior are assigned to primarily lead the inferior. Other than that, there's also significant social differences in play.

Everything was going just about well, until soon afterwards, the extreme separatism started to take place between both the self-proclaimed factions, which was, of course, only a part of the inevitable. Petty grievances soon turn into mass violence, as both sides try to claim everything for themselves.

We, as players, observe society's degeneration, right from the start, as society itself overthrows it's own government and reaches a state of anarchy.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Colombian cartel roleplay I guess? Since I got a newfound interest in crime roleplays.

Ka-ching! That's a potential idea too.

After a daring sting operation on an ex-Colombian cartel operative who was running an exceedingly low budget marijuana farm, the police learn that he's affiliated with the evil, evil triad, which was a fact that he mistakenly revealed. Now equipped with the power of knowledge, the police sat on their asses and tried to assess a way to completely destroyed the Colombian cartel, totally oblivious to the group of extremely hardened cops in the next room. After a few hours, they finally tried to take an effort to completely eliminate everything that's even remotely affiliated with both the Colombian cartel and the triad, the cops, as in the logistics department, sends in a bunch of hardboiled men to chinatown, where sources say that the annual Colombian/Triad meeting takes place...

Have any of you played Uncharted (Naughty Dog game series on the PS3/PS4)?

If so, we can do a treasure hunting rp I guess, with accurate history (or relatively, anyway).

Yeah, I played them all except for the first one. Although my memories about uncharted 2 are a bit foggy, seeing as it has been ages since I last played it.

Nevertheless, a RP like uncharted would be a whole lotta fun, but we'll need to do our own homework for that, if we want it to be historically accurate. And we gotta work on the puzzles too. It's actually quite the hard work, but I'm all in, if it ever goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back