System/Mechanics Thoughts on melding RPG/game-like systems into RP combat?

Basically all the titles on the right there are Apocalypse Engine games. Worth looking through to find one that suits, but on reflection you might get a lot of mileage out of Broken Worlds.
AE games have rules that help guide the story without being too mechanically dense, so if you feel less confident in your ability to handle a plot, they can be a big help.

You might also get some use out of FATE Core which is pay-what-you-want, pretty versatile, and various supplementary materials for different styles of game. It's about the only generic system I feel comfortable suggesting because it's less simulationist than most others.

What you've described in armor ratings, hit chances and evasion statistics comes across as being somewhat similar to the system that Elder Scrolls Daggerfall used to disseminate between the different types of armor and weapons you and enemies abroad had access to in the game.

Every piece of armor is broken down into a rating by its material, placement and type, the chance to hit any given part of the armor set comes down to a percent chance rolled by an enemy attacking you, the part randomly chosen compares its rating to the weapon damage range, calculates, and injures you based on a final value.

While Daggerfall was awkward and to some very clunky because it lacked feedback as a fiest-person adventure game with no turn system, the fights can be coreographed into something interesting by a roleplayer.

Also, some materials could not impact enemies of a certain type, based on the superiority or inferiority of materials used to face them. Food for thought, and stamina was taken down by fights, running, jumping, physical exertion in general, while being replenished through eating foods, sleeping for an adequate amount of time or camping while in fast travel.

What you've described in armor ratings, hit chances and evasion statistics comes across as being somewhat similar to the system that Elder Scrolls Daggerfall used to disseminate between the different types of armor and weapons you and enemies abroad had access to in the game.

Every piece of armor is broken down into a rating by its material, placement and type, the chance to hit any given part of the armor set comes down to a percent chance rolled by an enemy attacking you, the part randomly chosen compares its rating to the weapon damage range, calculates, and injures you based on a final value.

While Daggerfall was awkward and to some very clunky because it lacked feedback as a fiest-person adventure game with no turn system, the fights can be coreographed into something interesting by a roleplayer.

Also, some materials could not impact enemies of a certain type, based on the superiority or inferiority of materials used to face them. Food for thought, and stamina was taken down by fights, running, jumping, physical exertion in general, while being replenished through eating foods, sleeping for an adequate amount of time or camping while in fast travel.

Translating any Elder Scrolls mechanics to analogue methods is very difficult, especially something like the way armour worked.
I have a prototype Elder Scrolls RP system somewhere, but I abandoned that granular armour system years ago - it was too slow, and involved too much book keeping, well before thinking about balance.

It wasn't a very climactic system, I tell you that much. In it's most pure form, one or two wrong moves got you an exciting trip back to your main menu screen.

I do not appreciate "gaming" roleplays unless it involves dice. Perhaps bias, perhaps not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back