Thoughts on Fallout Franchise

Personally I love the Fallout games, old and new, and think each one of them has its own style, and are all very fun.

I'm just wondering what you all have to say.

Well, I haven't been playing much of the games, but I have read/watched lots of gameplay and have vast, (and mostly useless) knowledge of fallout lore and/or special tricks about the games. I mainly know about Fallout 3, but I'm getting sucked into 4 right now. LOVE the series, no matter what game it is. Just such a heavily detailed and mysterious game to explore. Love it with all my soul!

My first adventure into Fallout was Fallout Tactics, and I could not get over the level of detail in that game. The transition from the over-the-top view and into a first-person type one was nearly perfectly done. It has been fun to see the development of the different Vaults (and the pretty wicked experiments performed by Vault-tech).

It's hard to not enjoy a game that gives the player so many choices to change the world.

It's not my favorite series but I still like it for being post apocalyptic without being relentlessly grim and gritty. The games have a sense of humor even if most of it is gallows humor and that makes it a lot more approachable for my tastes. I haven't played the whole series, though. I've spent the most time in New Vegas.

I guess it helps that since they're sort of sandboxy you can get out what you put into them so I basically just ignored almost everything to do with the Legion because they made my eyes roll into the back of my head. (Though the first scene with them in Nipton was really well done, at least.) I spent most of the time rolling around with Arcade and the cool dog, generally being a Nice Asshole Wastelander and then I got fed up with troubleshooting my save that was beginning to collapse under the weight of billions of mods.

I'll get Fallout 4 when the price drops and the mod community's matured. Until then I can always go back and finally beat the original two games, or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Fallout series. I do think that the reason many were disappointed with Fallout 4 was because it was hyped up quite a bit, to the point where it couldn't meet the expectations fans set for it.

TheWolfKeeper said:
I love the Fallout series. I do think that the reason many were disappointed with Fallout 4 was because it was hyped up quite a bit, to the point where it couldn't meet the expectations fans set for it.
Yeah I hate when the developers do that too.

TheWolfKeeper said:
I don't recall anyone saying they are disappointed with the content of Fallout 4. in fact i constantly see people praising the game, if anything the only truly disappointing thing about fallout 4 is its story which in my honest opinion is pretty awful and forced

One of my favorite Video Game series, although I love the most recent one, Fallout 4 for Fixing a lot of problems that previous games had. It took away some important stuff that got me addicted to the series in the first place.

Fendisteel said:
I don't recall anyone saying they are disappointed with the content of Fallout 4. in fact i constantly see people praising the game, if anything the only truly disappointing thing about fallout 4 is its story which in my honest opinion is pretty awful and forced
Not meaning to imply everyone was dissatisfied, but a decent number of fans were advertised something they felt they never got.

[QUOTE="Zane Darkblade]great series just gets better and better although they should add jetpack or some vehicles to make getting around quicker

[/QUOTE]
with the right S.P.E.C.I.A.L level and perks, you can craft a jetpack onto the power armor, but it is for short hops......Assault Muhreen! Fur Da Emprah! Attack with super-sledge

I really wished they went back to the West Coast setting. The currently used East Coast setting is really boring amd bland.

I haven't played Fallout 4 yet, and have to my shame only dabbled in 3 and become addicted to New Vegas. The series allows you, particularly in Vegas, to choose from oh so many different characters to play.

You could in one save play some streetwise hustler who swindles the Strip out of thousands one day, or become a wanderer along the lines of Clint Eastwood in the next. The game offers almost infinite oppurtunity for character development and fun.

Another thing the games get right is setting, particularly in three. Fallout 3's desolate imagining of post war DC is one of the bleakest, yet entertaining things I've ever explored in any Bethesda game. I love the McArthyist themes in the old world terminals and the feel of street skirmishes with raiders and packs of muties.

That being said, Fallout 3 does suffer from a fairly mediocre storyline and writing. I found the game to be fairly clunky, and wish they'd had Obsidian on the project to boot, because they could have made it infinitely better. Also, Three's DLC sucked. Mothership Zeta and Opertaion Anchorage were bloody murder to complete, and were not fun in the slightest. Vegas' however was very fun, with the Ulysses subplot that could feasibly be a game in it's own right.

All in all, I feel the games kickass, but the West Coast is easily funner in terms of lore being established and explored (Eg Caesars Legion), and Vegas having a far freer storyline than it's East Coast counterpart.

It made me sad that FO4, unlike all the previous games -- departed from being able to navigate most if not all situations without violence.

Overall though I love the franchise. FO1 & 2 are my favorites, but tactics was also really cool - ESPECIALLY the PC mod that let you make the primary character any race. I won tactics as a regular human, super-mutant with hyper damage resistance, a death claw melee ninja... And mucked around with a robot player character. If you ever go back to tactics, get that mod!

I played fo4 and got the

institute ending, where you kill all of the railroad, and all of the Brotherhood. I never did anything with the brotherhood, but I had maximum approval from Deacon. I was kind of disappointed that he didn't say anything when I went to kill him for the institute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back