Science Things You Should Know About the Eclipse

Hi everyone! While I'm no professional by any means, I figured that it would be a good idea to leave a thread including what I know (after watching a brief video made by professionals) about the eclipse, because I don't want anyone--especially those experiencing totality--to miss out on something!

The first thing you all need to know about the eclipse, totality or otherwise, is this: you need to be safe. If you don't have glasses, there are guides online on how to make a homemade projector with a box, aluminum foil, etc. If you're not experiencing totality where you live, then you will need to keep the glasses on the entire time.

People who experience totality! You are truly the lucky ones. You need to keep your glasses on until the corona, or that wispy ring around the moon, appears. Only then will it be safe to look at the sun. As soon as totality is over--which can be anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes, you will need to put the glasses back on, so be prepared! When the sun appears again around the lower edge of the moon, slip those glasses on or turn around and lift your homemade projectors back to your eyes.

Now that that important tidbit is over, there are a lot of other cool things to note during the eclipse. It begins around an hour and a half before totality with first contact. The moon will touch the edge of the sun. If you're not looking, you probably won't notice this missing chunk, because the sun is still incredibly bright. But over the next hour and ten minutes, the moon will slowly cover the rest of the sun.

At 20 minutes to totality:
  • The sky will darken to have a nighttime feel, and there will be a 360 degree sunset all around the horizon
  • Venus will appear in the sky, just west of the sun
  • The temperature will drop, anywhere from just a few degrees to several depending on where you live and the weather there
  • Stars will begin to appear in the sky
  • One of the most interesting effects: animal behavior will change! Nighttime bugs and crickets will emerge, and birds will fly back to their nests!
  • Your shadow will sharpen
At two minutes to totality:
  • The sun will be 99% blocked--however, you need to keep your glasses on! It's not safe yet.
  • The remaining light from the sun will begin to have a winking effect of sorts, as it dips over and between the moon's topography, its mountains and valleys.
And then, totality! The corona will appear, and you can finally take those glasses off and get a true view of an amazing event that has graced America in your lifetime! It's a truly beautiful and unique thing to see. The sky will be entirely dark now, and the sun's atmosphere--the atmosphere of the giant ball of fire in the sky!! Isn't that awesome?!--will be visible in the form of wispy streams coming from behind the moon's shadow.

And after your totality is over, remember to put those glasses or projectors back up to your faces, and watch as the world slowly returns to normal.

And there you have it! Just about everything you need to know about the solar eclipse today. Have fun and be safe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back